Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Which works until a spider spawns without you noticing, webs you, and then you die.

This is legitimately a bullshit mission.

EDIT: Ahahah, and he just completely randomly bypassed my shield during a charge despite it constantly stopping him when I had him near dead. Wonderful.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Oh Snapple! posted:

Which works until a spider spawns without you noticing, webs you, and then you die.

I just got hit by this exact scenario. I was beating him down and got webbed and one shotted.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If I change the sigil on my arm and I ant to change back, do I have to re-buy the original sigil?

Oh, do sigils not actually cost souls? You just need that many to be able to equip it?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Oh Snapple! posted:

EDIT: Ahahah, and he just completely randomly bypassed my shield during a charge despite it constantly stopping him when I had him near dead. Wonderful.

IlleceeIleceaCrazy squid lady does that too. There's a part at the end of the charge where she hops like two feet off the ground. This is enough to bypass your shield.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Oh, do sigils not actually cost souls? You just need that many to be able to equip it?

The latter, yes.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 5, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh Snapple! posted:

Alright, boss missions that dump you without allies are kind of bullshit. You pretty much can't gently caress up, and the chances of that are compounded by the fact that refreshing offerings is a huge goddamn risk.

Seriously, gently caress this werewolf.

I hope it's not just me but the werewolf does the most damage then any enemy in the game. The final boss can hit me and do a 4th of my health but when he hits me it's about 2/3rds.

Also I found AI allies in werewolf missions more a hindrance then a help. One story NPC I took a liking to could take a hit or two from it but the other one died every time it drew aggro and reviving him constantly was a HUUGE risk. I ended up sacrificing the random dude because I just couldn't babysit him anymore.

Also dunno if it's a spoiler as it was in the pre-release material but how do you get the Chaos/Savior forms? I want to go Savior but not sure what the bare minimum blue I have to be

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also dunno if it's a spoiler as it was in the pre-release material but how do you get the Chaos/Savior forms? I want to go Savior but not sure what the bare minimum blue I have to be

They are the "99 in save/sac" arm versions (Arm 6). There are partial versions for level 90 (Arm 5).

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I'm guessing you have to sacrifice in this instance but just to check Spoilers for the Penultimate sorcerors Ordeal You can't save her can you? She will just keep trying to kill you

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Stormgale posted:

I'm guessing you have to sacrifice in this instance but just to check Spoilers for the Penultimate sorcerors Ordeal You can't save her can you? She will just keep trying to kill you

Correct. You do get a special LE if you save her once, though.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I think I'm just going to stop using Gleipnir online. Most of the time when I use it my allies end up loving off to god knows where on the map, completely wasting an entire period of easy, risk-free damage :negative:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

Correct. You do get a special LE if you save her once, though.

Yeah you get a lot of hand sigils by saving+sacrificing one of your allies. In that instance if you save her you still have to kill her but you get a Sigil that boosts your Sacrifice power I think, and also changes the appearance of your hand.

Anyone using those custom sigils that change your hand? I unlocked a bunch but I like the flat attack bonus more.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

I don't know if this counts as :filez: but I don't think it should. I did a screencap of the lore pages for the archfiends in this game since I enjoyed reading them so much.

Here's a link to all the albums if you're interested.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

RedRupee posted:

I don't know if this counts as :filez: but I don't think it should. I did a screencap of the lore pages for the archfiends in this game since I enjoyed reading them so much.

Here's a link to all the albums if you're interested.

You need to link the song that plays in the background too!

(I really like the lore in this game)

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You need to link the song that plays in the background too!

(I really like the lore in this game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThJ5_smk134

Seems someone has done my job for me!

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Oh Snapple! posted:

This is legitimately a bullshit mission.

Just beat him. I used shields, tri-ice, tri-poison, and a M rank lightning axe. I ran the length of the map clearing the spawn before he came back. Finished with a score of 440.

edit: and got a bad rear end outfit

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm on the brink of selling my Vita since I never play it but lately I've thought about picking this up. Is it really good enough to be something that makes me want to keep my console? I love the general gameplay of Monster Hunter. Dark Souls still hasn't clicked though. From what I've seen it seems similar to both but maybe I didn't completely get it. I love the atmosphere and style of the monsters and I'm really curious to see if its a good go to game when I'm in the mood to grind huge brutal creatures and snatch loot.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm on the brink of selling my Vita since I never play it but lately I've thought about picking this up. Is it really good enough to be something that makes me want to keep my console? I love the general gameplay of Monster Hunter. Dark Souls still hasn't clicked though. From what I've seen it seems similar to both but maybe I didn't completely get it. I love the atmosphere and style of the monsters and I'm really curious to see if its a good go to game when I'm in the mood to grind huge brutal creatures and snatch loot.

Try the demo. It gives you a surprisingly nice chunk of the game to play with, and you can transfer your character to the full game if you like it.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

Belzac posted:

There's an option in the Vita settings under Power Save Settings. Just got to look for it.

Edit: Settings -> Power Save Settings -> Use Wi-Fi in Power Save Mode.

Turn this on they just let your vita go to sleep (don't hit the power button).

Thanks, I must have just glazed over this option when I went to look.

I am really terrible at getting a decent score in this game, anyone got any tips for stuff that I should be aiming to do during missions?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Stiggs posted:

Thanks, I must have just glazed over this option when I went to look.

I am really terrible at getting a decent score in this game, anyone got any tips for stuff that I should be aiming to do during missions?

Learn your ABCs, Always Be Countering. A counter is when you hit a minion (ie. not a boss) in the middle of its attack animation. This causes a one-hit KO on the monster and give you points for 1, 3, and 5 counters. It's quite a lot of points. Besides that don't get hit (easy 150) and beat the mission as quickly as possible.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Belzac posted:

Learn your ABCs, Always Be Countering. A counter is when you hit a minion (ie. not a boss) in the middle of its attack animation. This causes a one-hit KO on the monster and give you points for 1, 3, and 5 counters. It's quite a lot of points. Besides that don't get hit (easy 150) and beat the mission as quickly as possible.

You also get a ton of points for hitting a weakness, burning/shocking/freezing a enemy by using the same element on a a bunch, and a bunch of points for doing a element break on a monster that's stunned by a element.

To do this just hit it with the elemental stun's weakness (i.e use a ice spell on a enemy stuck in infernal hell or thunder on a monster stuck in frozen hell). If you do these and finish the quest quickly you can get a divine rate 90% of the time.

[e] Also always use minds eye and get the first attack in for 30 extra points.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

To add to the point discussion, if you can manage a infernal status (when the archfiend is frozen in the spot due to whatever status you used on all body parts) make sure you bring the element strong against what you just used. So if you freeze an enemy, bring one shock spell at least to break the freeze and you'll get +60 for a "chain". Apparently you can link those multiple times (I think there's a trophy for 5 statuses on the same boss). Also, if you can, try to destroy all of an archfiend's weakspots. This gives a bonus 70+ points or so but it can be hard to pull off on some bosses.

I just beat the game and chose to save Magusar. I thought the ending was fairly lacklustre and was expecting a larger twist. Can I do the ending again to get the other sanguine attack or have I made my choice? Also I had to do that second form 3 times. I kept running out of offerings before realising I could sacrifice those red dudes

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

RedRupee posted:

I just beat the game and chose to save Magusar. I thought the ending was fairly lacklustre and was expecting a larger twist. Can I do the ending again to get the other sanguine attack or have I made my choice? Also I had to do that second form 3 times. I kept running out of offerings before realising I could sacrifice those red dudes

Yes, you can just do it again to get the other bloodshot also wait stop what the gently caress
That fight has offerings? :psyduck:

I've done it a few times now and have never seen any at all

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Emalde posted:

Yes, you can just do it again to get the other bloodshot also wait stop what the gently caress
That fight has offerings? :psyduck:

I've done it a few times now and have never seen any at all

When the dragon goes into the background he can do three things. 1) the charge, 2) shoots 5 black things that are just attacks, 3) shoots one red thing that is a melting dude. Run straight for the red one and get the sacrifice in ASAP because if the dragon comes back to the land he will sacrifice it and cast Gugnir on you (if you get the sacrifice you cast gugnir). You can also save those red dudes but I honestly don't know what that would do

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!
Thanks for the tips guys, need to work on my countering. :)

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
I've put together a spreadsheet for my own sanity and figured I'd share it. It covers the quest rewards for all quests that I have opened thus far so it's very incomplete. I'll continue to edit it as I go along but I'm kind of slow so feel free to add things to it.

quest reward doc

Dimix fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 14, 2013

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
Hi goons I just bought this game and have been playing off and on for a couple days. I'm not sure if it's worth it to spec tank, dps, or heals in this game, but I'm willing to try and kill poo poo.

My psn name is dojisekushi

Yay

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
For anyone looking for an easier way to unlock black colors on your costumes; Sorcs count as well. Meaning you can spam the Illecreba sacrifice mission for quick and easy sacs. You can also use this method for saves, as well, but it'd take longer as you'd need to kill off the sorc after you saved them.

Edit: Anyone know where to find a blazing SE?

Double Edit: VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Did you try checking online missions? There should be one that spawns some higher level kobolds.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 6, 2013

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees
I'm trying to find the Kobold LE+ and LE++ for the advanced healing sigil and am having a hell of a time. Is there a level where kobold's actually spawn or do I just need to keep grinding the Illecebra fight where two of them appear at the start?

Edit - Can't play online :( I'm renting the game through GameFly and don't quite feel like spending $10 on an online pass since I'll probably return the game in a couple weeks after I sink a bazillion more hours into it.

Soma Soma Soma fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 6, 2013

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

It's entirely possible my horrid luck has made it a non-issue, but how do you tell when a boss has a +/++ soul when you're max level? Is there a good/bad message that comes up like the normal trash?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mailer posted:

It's entirely possible my horrid luck has made it a non-issue, but how do you tell when a boss has a +/++ soul when you're max level? Is there a good/bad message that comes up like the normal trash?

Is it not just luck based?

I have a couple of sigils that also need LE+ or SE+ for allied sorcerors, I'm not sure how that happens.

Also I keep unlocking sigils for my hand, trying them out, then going back to the attack boost. It's way too big of a boost for Dark Arms to give up.

My name aint Jerry
Sep 4, 2011

Good job with notjerry.org, Not Jerry. Here is not-a-trophy for you.
Because I have a terrible memory, I made the following graphic (spoiler: lists vulnerabilities for archfiends) ss.svg. It can be opened in the vita's browser.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Is it not just luck based?

It's just like the normal enemies. Bosses will randomly have a huge number for blue/red and a negative for the opposing side and that gives you a chance at a + soul. Those numbers don't come up when you're max level so I didn't know if there's a message to indicate it like there is when you see "Divine soul sensed in rats".

quote:

Also I keep unlocking sigils for my hand, trying them out, then going back to the attack boost. It's way too big of a boost for Dark Arms to give up.

Pretty much this. Unless you're divine or swapping for the 150% damage sigil, I don't see a reason to swap from Slayer. It kind of sucks that they made arms be sigils as some of them look pretty awesome.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mailer posted:

It's just like the normal enemies. Bosses will randomly have a huge number for blue/red and a negative for the opposing side and that gives you a chance at a + soul. Those numbers don't come up when you're max level so I didn't know if there's a message to indicate it like there is when you see "Divine soul sensed in rats".

Pretty much this. Unless you're divine or swapping for the 150% damage sigil, I don't see a reason to swap from Slayer. It kind of sucks that they made arms be sigils as some of them look pretty awesome.

If they weren't on the hand it would make a lot more sense, like I wouldn't mind giving up a bit of damage on a specific element or weapon type, but the attack boost to EVERYTHING is huge. I tried using the arm that gives you a higher ranking at the end of the stage and I actually had trouble finishing stages because I didn't do enough damage before I was running out of all of my offerings.

Right now my standard build is more or less:

2 Exploding eggs (Venom and Stone, just because I managed to get upgraded versions of those the quickest)
1 Elemental pinwheel (like the fire arrows or such)
1 Arm/weapon depending on the element needed
1 3 star Slime heal thing
1 Golem or Rolling Ball Jack'o'Lantern thing (the golem is useless in some fights)

I switch out stuff if I need a shield, and I've found that the melee weapons are honestly not that useful during most bosses. They don't deal that much damage and you need to keep yourself way too close to make use of them, you can use them when a boss is staggered but with my build a staggered boss is usually pretty far away because I just egged him.

I have Dark Arm 2 but a heal is still useful, I can heal from almost dead to full before having to go get more offerings. It's not a full on glass cannon build or anything. Anyone having more luck with the melee attacks than I have been? It seems like way too much setup (sit there summoning a weapon) for something that puts you in harms way anyway.

Edit: I should probably use Tri-Homing spells huh. I don't have adequately upgraded versions yet.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is it possible to have every Avalon Pact in a questline finished at once? Will rewriting the save/sacrifice parts not erase your completion of the other ones?

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Is it possible to have every Avalon Pact in a questline finished at once? Will rewriting the save/sacrifice parts not erase your completion of the other ones?

You will keep the stamp for completing missions in a line even if they become unavailable if you change the timeline. I suggest doing both lines and figuring out which one has better rewards and then sticking to that. Or just sacrifice the archfiend first, then do those missions, then save it so that you keep the sorcerer!

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

I switch out stuff if I need a shield, and I've found that the melee weapons are honestly not that useful during most bosses. They don't deal that much damage and you need to keep yourself way too close to make use of them, you can use them when a boss is staggered but with my build a staggered boss is usually pretty far away because I just egged him.

I have Dark Arm 2 but a heal is still useful, I can heal from almost dead to full before having to go get more offerings. It's not a full on glass cannon build or anything. Anyone having more luck with the melee attacks than I have been? It seems like way too much setup (sit there summoning a weapon) for something that puts you in harms way anyway.

To be honest, I've found quite the opposite. I swear by giant fists. I'm mostly a divine build as well, with divine arm IV right now. There's actually very few boss fights I don't like using giant fist on, but most I'm still able to get hits in. It's worth noting that giant fists get huge returns on leveling. The third tier giant fists do 100 damage per regular swing, and have longer/quicker combos. I'm able to use those and still do high damage as a divine build because I'm able to stay close to most bosses safely. I usually can avoid most hits if I know a boss well enough, but the divine defense buffs make me able to stay there even longer and keep up the heat. Plus, I can get of a charge attack if I've practiced the boss and know when to squeeze it in. (Playing GS in MH feels similar so I have a little practice learning when to fit in charge attacks.) Which will just send the boss flying if I land and do big damage as well.

Actually finished the final boss with mostly 2 giant god fists. I used some clods as well, but mostly to play it safe during the second phase of the fight because I had to learn it's new moveset real fast.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 6, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It might just be that I don't have the max level of stuff right now, I'm mostly working with the second tier of spells. And yeah as Dark you'll pretty much melt if you are up close a lot, so I end up using a lot of ranged magic to plink away since plinking does a lot of damage with all the buffs. Attack +30%, Stone + 30%, Explosives +15% or something makes those eggs hit hard.

I kind of wish I could do a Divine Build now because everyone online seems to be doing Dark/Ranged too. I'm leveling both mostly equally (only 5 level difference) so it shouldn't be too hard to switch over.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

And yeah as Dark you'll pretty much melt if you are up close a lot, so I end up using a lot of ranged magic to plink away since plinking does a lot of damage with all the buffs. Attack +30%, Stone + 30%, Explosives +15% or something makes those eggs hit hard.
Once your spells are upgraded it's not so much plinking as it is hammering. Every fight for me more or less runs like this: spam tri for a stun right after they transform, summon golem, break stun, spam tri root for another stun, 2-3 eggs, break stun, then eggs/thrown until the thing dies. If it has a break that incapacitates it then finish off your tri root while it's on the ground.

quote:

I kind of wish I could do a Divine Build now because everyone online seems to be doing Dark/Ranged too. I'm leveling both mostly equally (only 5 level difference) so it shouldn't be too hard to switch over.
Most of the people I've seen are running pretty close to 50/50 or are running Divine Blood builds. A huge part of my damage comes from mortars/golems and you can't really use them online unless everyone is using them.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I haven't been playing with max level people so we are probably all clueless then :v: is the idea behind divine blood that you heal so much that the constant regen type heals make you invincible while you spam the blood stuff?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I swear by weapon magic. For me it's the quickest way of killing a lot of monsters and never run out of offerings. Even with a dark arm, the key to being able to use weapons effectively is always use armor. I have the second tier of all armor magic and weapon magic, and even playing mostly sacrifice you'll have ridiculous survivability this way. I played against a phoenix and there wasn't a single attack that hit me for more than a third of my HP, and most of them barely took 5% with the armor on. The stone armor is especially useful since your attacks can't be interrupted when using it. You can even stay under your golem this way and not be knocked all over. Simply put up your stone armor and keep comboing the monster until it's dead. I literally roll with only one weapon magic spell and 5 support ones (2 heals, a golem, the armor and one weapon solely to cause the element break.)

This was my strategy, and then I lucked out by finding a cyclops se++ on my first fight against him, unlocking the third tier of the weapon magic boost sigil, upping my weapon damage by 75%(!). I don't need to tell you how much it helped me kill stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Holy poo poo this game came out?! :aaaaa:

I'll mosey over to Target after class and pick this up.

PSN is ViralCount and hopefully I can use my fingers as bullets!

I can do that right? :allears:

Edit: Quick question.

Should I play through the demo first to get the unique offering or is it not really worth it in the long run?

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 6, 2013

• Locked thread