Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Divine Disclaimer posted:

So by nulled you mean you just thumbs down the game in general, or is there some mysterious feature allowing me to truly bury the embarrassing games in my library (other than categories).

I guess I should say Shamefuled (Shamefulled? Shame Filled?) because that's the category they go in. :v:

Shamefuled 8-bit Commando. I kinda liked the first few levels but then it got annoying and really it's just Contra but worse in every way. Eh.

I enjoyed Bullet Candy though. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Divine Disclaimer
Jan 24, 2013

by T. Finninho
I call mine grabagetown.

I bought Star Wars BattleFront II today, what the gently caress. Also STEAM is apparently "out of keys"; so I'll get access to it "some time" (probably tomorrow).

However, my $3 impulse nostalgia buy will probably be forgotten as quickly. I mean, it's already a part of my fairly comprehensive and quite impressive original xbox game collection.

Zeno Clash is an excellent Girl Friend Game. Can your Girl Friend center an object on the center third of the screen and pull L+R trigger? Good to go. Aside from my overt sexism, the coop-s are great and absolutely worth it. The combat reminds me of a less-fluid, simpler Breakdown built in a truly surrealist scene.

Divine Disclaimer fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 6, 2013

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

BEAT: BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien

I liked the original Runner game quite a bit, but I can pretty safely say every single design decision made in updating the sequel was a clear improvement. This is just a brilliant sequel, simultaneously making the game more accessible while also improving on the base formula with new, fun mechanics and CONTENT. So much content! Literally my only complaint is that the red color scheme of the Mounting Sadds can make my eyes get a little strained. That's basically it. This is one of three games in my Steam library where I've bothered to get 100% of the achievements, I dug this game so much. It's fun, funny, chill, and easily my favorite game I've played this year.

NULLED: Serious Sam Double D

Really sluggish for a game with the Serious Sam name, just didn't hook me.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Beat: Resident Evil 5 in single player on Normal. The single player partner AI can go gently caress itself, holy poo poo. How the gently caress did the single player mode get through play testing? I'm pretty sure the AI is literally mentally retarded.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Lavatein posted:

The most surprising thing was that this was a HOG that Fart of Presto doesn't seem to have played :)
The are so few Hidden Object games left on Steam that I haven't played, so I have to stretch it a bit and take some breaks here and there :)

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Fez (Steam) - Completed: I rarely buy games at full price on release these days but Fez was a worthy exception. Clever puzzles, subtle hidden secrets and a gorgeous world to explore make this a title that I'll be glad to remember. Difficulty ranges from nobrainer-riddles to moon logic so I'll admit that I needed help here and there but overall it was an incredibly satisfying experience.

Sniper Elite (Steam) - Nulled: This game came with Sniper Elite V2 in a sale bundle and I picked it up because it was dirt cheap and why not. Wanted to give it a shot before I'd play the sequel but I can't bring myself to finish this. A little too boring, a little too old. Can't hold my attention when there's still over 100 newer, shinier titles to play.

Currently playing:
Europa Universalis III (Steam)

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
Beat Batman: Arkham Asylum. It's as good as everyone says. The combat is just incredibly rewarding and fun. I just ran through the story mode, haven't touched the challenge maps or gone back to find all the riddles and stuff. Life's too short, I got my 12 hours or so of enjoyment out of it and I'm moving on.

Next up, feeling like an old school RTS so I'm going to give Stronghold: Crusader a shot, and I also have yet to play a game of Civ V so I might do that too.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
It took me 64 hours, but I have BEATEN Fallout: New Vegas and all four of its DLCs. And all of it was excellent. I ultimately decided to assist the NCR in their campaign of conquest.

The finest moment was actually the result of an event glitch. Should you elect to disrupt the Great Khans' alliance with Caesar's Legion, you are supposed to steal an object from the camp and use it as evidence against Caesar's agent there. This both discredits that agent and convinces one of the folks you need to convince.

If, however, you put enough points into speech skill, you can instead discredit the agent by literally trolling him to death. This was obviously the superior option, and so I took it. However, this renders the object you stole useless for convincing the other guy.

There is another object that lets you do this.

It was in Caesar's loving tent. I have no idea how my Pip-Boy knew this.

I'm fairly high level at this point, and have pretty good Charisma, so cue me slaughtering my way through his fortress, followed by my companions kind of accidentally murdering Caesar and the entire Praetorian guard while I'm rifling through his bookshelves.

I felt that was kind of lacking, though, so I rewound time.

In this timeline, Caesar finds some of his books are missing. In unrelated news, one of the port guards deserted his post, leaving only a small pile of ash behind. Perhaps one of his elite guard connected these two facts with the Courier from the West, who betrayed him some months back. Perhaps that elite guardsman was then crucified to death for naming someone under damnatio memoriae.

Perhaps that is why he could inflitrate the camp entirely unnoticed except to dogs by dint of wearing random armor; nobody could discuss his appearance when instructing sentries.

Truly, the burdens of power are great.

And so are the burdens of backlogs. My burden is lighter, though; this counted as five entries on it, which means my Steam Unbeaten list is down to 17% of my total. I think my next big game will be XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which I had a go at earlier, and my smaller games will be Satazius and Mark of the Ninja.

FAKE EDIT: I think that FO:NV mission worked out pretty well, too, since in the end they headed off to build a mighty empire in Wyoming, with the Followers of the Apocalypse helping them out. Since both of those factions got their teeth kicked in back in my playthrough of Fallout 1, it's nice to see them team up and turn out all right.

REAL EDIT: Welp, that was quick. BEATEN: Satazius. Two single-credit runs on Normal as a warmup, then burned all my continues on Normal (making it about a third of the way through the final stage), then a 2cc on Easy. Total time spent: 95 minutes. This game owes so much to Gradius that Gradius threatened to repossess its house. The only thing missing were the Giant Moai Heads. I think they got every other Gradius cliche in there somewhere.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 10, 2013

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Holy crap - progress on the backlog.

Beat - Saints Row: The Third - It's was awesome. Duh. Finally have a PC that can run it maxed out, so I finally played it. Should have been the first thing I installed after finishing my recent build. drat near everyone has played this by now, I know, but I can't stress how much fun I had playing it. Just stupid over the top sandbox fun. Played a single player game to 98%. Will likely go back and do a co-op run through at some point.

Beat - A...a for the Awesome - Briefly got it in my head that I would just start at the top of my backlog and work my way down. No idea where the second game on the list came from or what the Hell it is, so that idea is dead. Not a whole lot to say about this. Had previously played Aaaaa - Reckless Disregard and liked it. This is more of the same. Note though - all of the levels from the first game are contained in this one. Really no point in buying Reckless Disregard at all if you're interested.

Beat - Alan Wake's American Nightmare - Not nearly as good as Alan Wake I'm afraid. Still fun, but much shorter with a less interesting story. As others have pointed out - reusing the same three areas three times each was a bit of bullshit. Enjoyable, but I immediately skipped the arcade levels and uninstalled after finishing the story.

Beat (Finally!) - Hotline Miami - Everyone loves this game. I tried it. I sucked at it. I got frustrated and didn't play it for 4 months. Picked it back up, and something finally clicked. It went from being a frustrating mess that really just amounted to me dying over and over to a really fun game. (Where I died over and over.) Didn't unlock all the masks or anything, but did re-play levels for a while in order to improve my grades. Will likely revisit at some point, cause drat. When you finally get the hand of it - it's fun as Hell. (And you'll die a lot.)

Beat - RAGE - Hmmmm. Is it possible to have great graphics and weapons that are fun to shoot in a way that I can't put into words yet kinda not really be that great a game? That's RAGE. Worth $5 or so during a Steam sale I'd say, but it just left me a bit unsatisfied. And triple gently caress that ending. What the Hell? Oddly enough, I still might pick up the DLC during the next sale if it's cheap enough.

Beat - Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers - Some little indie thing I picked up during the last sale. Short - only took 3 hours to go through, but really pretty interesting. A quality physics puzzlish platformer. Grab it for a couple bucks during the next sale.

Beat - Defense Grid DLC : My scores suck balls, but I'm a sucker for this game. Bought the new DLC and went through the new maps. Got a few gold medals, but won most of them by the skin of my teeth. Have now played Defense Grid for 113 hours. There can't possibly be a better tower defense game out there.

Just started playing Alice: Madness Returns. Thumbs up so far. Appreciation for the graphics and artistic style far outweighing my annoyance with the controls after an hour or so.

Games bought since last post - none.
"Uninstalled - Not played folder" currently at 112 titles. A stupid number, but down from 120 the last time I posted.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Nulled - Doc Clock and the Toasted Sandwich of Time: This game is clunky and unintuitive. Not giving it more than 30 minutes.

Nulled - Galcon Fusion: This game is fun, but with any lack of a campaign, it's hard to measure as "Beat".

Started - Orcs Must Die!: I don't know why I took so long to get to this. It's amazingly fun.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
New 100 achievement games for this week:

Stacking - I'm not a fan of Double Fine. I guess this game was good in that it had charm and a neat concept, but it also had many really long, boring, unskippable cutscenes. Moving around felt awkward because you kill your momentum unless you turn in a wide arc.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Finally got through the last two missions of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. It took a while because most missions I was save scumming a lot and quickloading to find the stealthy way through. I was making really good progress up until the Seoul mission then the last few missions took a while to get through. The second to last mission I ended up just blasting my way through, the last mission I actually did flawlessly with no quickloads at all. The gameplay and atmosphere was excellent and for an old game, it has aged very well. The story was typical Tom Clancy crap but whatever.

Also put Lego Harry Potter out of my active games for now because I haven't been in the mood for cutesy bullshit.

Hitman: Absolution and Tomb Raider are the two games' replacements.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I've just recently started to chip away at my ever growing backlog of games, pretty happy with the progress I've made so far.

Beat: And Yet It Moves - A simple but effective puzzle platformer. I appreciated the art style, and appreciated it even more as the chapters progressed and the art evolved with it. A really nice pacing to the game too with a difficulty curve that fit me almost perfectly. Some of the later mechanics got a bit annoying though. I feel this game is pretty overlooked in the massive world of puzzle platformers, its premise is simple, but it delivers in spades.

Completed: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - I had to put my backlog on hold so I could 100% this game. This game is amazing and does so many things right, from the references to the style to the core gameplay. It's just awesome the entire way through, which is very rare of games these days. I'm excited for the potential of more from Dean Evans and Michael Biehn.

Beat: Mirror's Edge - This game felt really nice to play, I enjoyed it almost the whole way through. The only one downside to it was the combat, and the few times that it forced you to engage enemies with it. The environments looked fantastic for the most part and the game really flowed as you jumped across rooftops. Makes me wonder whatever happened to Mirror's Edge 2.

Beat: Hard Reset - To kind of contrast Mirror's Edge, Hard Reset almost felt like a chore at times to play through. The level design was good, and in general the game felt pretty good, but it got a tad annoying fighting the same swarms over and over again. I also really didn't like how you changed weapons, necessitating two keys at times in order to get to the weapon I wanted. The weapons themselves weren't that great either. I did manage to enjoy it overall to the end, but I had to play it in bursts.

Currently playing through:
Assassin's Creed 2 - I got this game as a gift awhile ago, but it seems fairly large, so it might take me some time to get through.
From Dust - I picked this up recently from a sale, with no expectations from it. Seems like a small puzzle game that I should be able to finish quickly.

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

It's been a while since I posted, I've been playing a lot of games but not finishing many (as usual).

I tried American Conquest but gave up pretty quickly. I like RTS games but I don't like combat in RTS games because I am terrible at micro and tend to just get overwhelmed and concentrate on one battle and ignore everything else and lose. American Conquest is all about combat and it makes it more complicated by including morale and formations. I wish I had patience for RTS games because it seems like it could be great.

I tried Dota 2. Being bad at RTS games it comes as no surprise I am also bad at this. From spectating it seems kind of interesting but the games go on a little longer than I'd like. It was obvious five minutes in that my team was going to lose but the game still took another 25 minutes to resolve. I'll probably end up trying again at some point because it does seem kind of fun.

I played a bunch of the original Tekken. I don't know how much it has held up well vs I just have a lot of nostalgia for it, but I still like Tekken a lot.

I continued down the rabbit hole of old, bad sports games with Hat Trick for the 7800. It's old and bad. So is Ghostbusters II. It's not a sports game though.

I beat Final Fantasy. Originally I just wanted to see if my old save game with all my elementary school friends names on it was still there. It was, so I decided to actually finish the game since I never managed it as a kid. It was fun, enemies with insta-kill spells are still bullshit though. I also tried the WP7 remake of this game and I will say they messed it up. It is not a good version of Final Fantasy and I'm not sure who the intended market for it is.

I beat Fatal Labyrinth. I played a lot of this on Sega Channel, somehow never beating it. It took a few hours but with the checkpointing it's pretty easy for a rogue-like. It's pretty simplistic but I really like it and will probably go back and try to finish the entire 30 floors without dying.

I got halfway through Rad Racer before getting annoyed with the window on checkpoint times. It made me want to play Road Blasters but it was among the games I lost when all my poo poo was stolen a few years back so no dice.

I played The Republia Times while downloading Papers, Please. It only takes about 20 minutes to see all the possible outcomes but it's fun and it really nails the art style.

I played a lot of Game Dev Tycoon. It was great up until I found out how the simulation works. That kind of put me off ever wanting to play again but it was the first game in a while where I sat down to play it and then lost six hours of time to it. If they fix a couple issues with the game I could definitely see myself losing a weekend to it.

I played some Worms Revolution and Castle Crashers PC multiplayer. I think those games are both fun when they're working but they both have some serious technical issues plaguing them. It's a shame with Castle Crashers in particular because it's such a great game and I've been telling my non-360-having friends about it forever and now it's here and it's kind of a lovely port.

Currently I'm playing They Bleed Pixels. It's yet another indie, 2D sprite-based super-hard platformer but I really like it. The combat and the way it handles check-pointing sets it apart from other platformers and the music is great. I don't know if I can actually finish it because it is hard and my scores are always really bad when I finish stages but I really, really like it.

I've also been playing MLB The Show. I know jack poo poo about baseball but these games are great. I don't have to know anything about rotations or contracts or prospect development, I just go up and hit the baseball and sometimes I catch the baseball. That's all I really want out of a baseball game and it delivers.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

thizzin forever posted:

I played a bunch of the original Tekken. I don't know how much it has held up well vs I just have a lot of nostalgia for it, but I still like Tekken a lot.

It's honestly amazing how far the series advanced from the original Tekken to Tekken 3. I love almost all Tekken games but I still think it's funny just how jacked up the characters look in the original.

Also that music :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

thizzin forever posted:

Currently I'm playing They Bleed Pixels. It's yet another indie, 2D sprite-based super-hard platformer but I really like it. The combat and the way it handles check-pointing sets it apart from other platformers and the music is great. I don't know if I can actually finish it because it is hard and my scores are always really bad when I finish stages but I really, really like it.
Just ignore your scores. I kept replaying for good ones and ended up burning myself out on the game for a while.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
My word, I've done it.

COMPLETED: Super Hexagon.

And I got it on tape, because I'd been plateauing at around 30 seconds and I was hoping to see if I was doing something consistently wrong.

Also, it turns out that if you beat or complete 10 games in a row, Backloggery marks your status as "invincible". :black101:

That leaves XCOM: Enemy Unknown as my in-progress game. I've managed to capture an Outsider, and I'm about a month and a half in. Good stuff but I don't always have enough brainpower to face it. I'm going to need another mindless B-Side game but I haven't decided upon one yet.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Just played through Thomas Was Alone. It was definitely a very neat game that surpassed my expectations of what initially appeared to be a very simple and very boring indie platformer and ended up charming as hell. The soundtrack by David Housden was great (kinda reminded me of Everyday Shooter) and the narration was spot on. The puzzles were clever and the progression was great however I started noticing some jankyness in the collisions and jumping as things got complicated with moving platforms and such. Never a deal breaker but it sure is annoying when you have to reset a puzzle because of some physics bug.

The game clocks in at under 3 hours but doesn't overstay its welcome. Anything more and I would have probably grown tired of it and if it weren't for the narration I probably wouldn't have played it at all. Regarding the ending [spoiler]I was a bit let down that nothing was really explained or expanded upon in any way. It just kinda...ended, not that was expected some sort of Cube 2: Hypercube style reveal of people hooked up to a machine. I just think it needs a bit more.[spoiler]

Still a good game and something I'd recommend to anyone looking for a good indie game and/or puzzle platformer.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Finished: Titan Quest + Immortal Throne. I'm not sure what it is about this game that made me keep playing it. It's not particularly challenging (especially with a good build), most of the areas are rather bland, and you can basically see everything the gameplay has to offer in the first two hours or so. Even the old carrot-on-a-stick of incrementally superior loot wasn't all that effective; sure, the game throws a ton of loot at you, but 99.9% of it is completely worthless, and it's ridiculously stingy with rare items. If you want to get more than two items of the same set, you either have to be extremely lucky, or you have to be prepared to grind yourself silly, and I was neither. In short, this is the most boring game I ever spent 40+ hours on, and I'm still not sure why I did it. (For what it's worth, the expansion addresses some of the problems by making things a bit more challenging and adding some environments that actually approach being memorable).

Finished: Torchlight: While dragging myself through Titan Quest, I often found myself thinking about how much fun Torchlight was, so I decided to go back to it and actually beat it this time. It was already in my "Finished" category, but I had never beaten the final boss (and with good reason, because gently caress that poo poo). Maybe it was because of my build (dual-wand-wielding, lightning-slinging, Golem-summoning Alchemist), but I had a lot of hectic fun with it. The game's all about high-paced, no-frills ARPG action, designed to be perfectly playable without getting distracted by superfluous nonsense like 'originality' or 'storytelling'. It's a game where you enter a dungeon floor, bomb it to the ground over the course of the next twenty minutes, and then head back to town with a bag full it loot (some of it actually worth something; take that, Titan Quest). The difficulty curve does ramp up sharply in the last area, and the final boss is still a huge pain in the rear end, but overall, it's a sweet little bundle of ARPG perfection.

Finished: Frozen Synapse: Started this a long time ago, finally finished it a week ago. I love the concept, but the execution has more than one problem. The singleplayer is dragged down by a lack of variety (it's all either "Reach this point", "Defend this point", or just "Kill everyone"), which makes it seem far longer than it really was. The fact that the levels are randomly generated seems neat at first, but it also leads to situations where you're pretty much forced to reload from the get-go, since the RNG decided to spawn your long-range weapons right next to two shotgunners. The randomly generated parts of the levels never feel 'real' either, only the pre-made parts ever look like they might actually exist in the real world. Finally, the story is... there, I guess? I completely lost interest in the dialog after two or three missions, so I have little idea what it was actually about, or whether it was worth paying attention to. Might play the DLC someday, since like I said, I just love the concept.

Finished: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones. Liked this one the least of the Sands of Time trilogy. Sure, it does away with the lovely music, Smoke Monster chases and general emo-ness of Warrior Within, but it replaces these elements with lovely QTE combat, Dark Prince segments, chariot races, and worst of all, a snarky sidekick. I'll take WW's constant whining and self-pity over the sarcastic quips of my alter ego any day of the week. The basic platforming is still solid, but none of the environments awed me as much as the levels of SoT or WW did. I gave up on the final boss after dying on the last phase twice, because I just didn't feel like going through the first two phases again. YouTube'd the ending and the epilogue, and I can't say I regret my decision, so this is going in the "Finished" category.

Currently Playing:
- Evil Genius, almost at the end of the first island. I don't remember this game involving so much waiting. Once your base is up and running, half of your time is spent just farting around.
- SpaceChem, by which I mean that I've still got it installed and I will occasionally glance at some of the remaining levels and shudder in despair and then quickly close the window.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Beat The Lost and the Damned and holy poo poo that was probably the worst Grand Theft Anything I've ever played. Jumbled plot, terrible characters, worthless side missions, glitches, crashes, stiff as hell cutscenes and a completely incoherent tie-in to GTA4 makes me wonder why they even bothered with this. With the impending release of GTA5 I was excited to go back and try the Episodes and I've heard Gay Tony is better but drat I wasn't expecting how clunky and antiquated everything about LatD was going to be. What a disappointment.

e: also the cover system is hot loving garbage

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Sniper Elite V2 (Steam) - Beat: Dealing X-Ray headshots was worryingly satisfying at first but the novelty wears of quickly and what's left then is a somewhat fun game with a severe identity crisis. There are parts where you sneak, parts where you snipe and some parts where you fight off waves of attackers with a machine gun but none of them feel fleshed out and overall it's a little weird how they're giving you all this equipment and a goal and let you run free but the levels mostly come in tube form anyway. Proper sniping passages get rarer towards the end though I feel like they should have taken center stage.

Zeno Clash (Steam) - Beat: I do not understand why this game was recommended to me. I found the gameplay to be bland and repetitive and the controls to be very cumbersome and unreliable (bad for a first person fighter). The setting is original but the storytelling is incredibly hamfisted. There are some nice setpieces and the shooting/fighting levels are mixed up well but overall this is still a mediocre game with a severe lack of polish.

Currently playing:
Europa Universalis III (Steam)
Geneforge (GOG)

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Risen
A really enjoyable and tough as balls RPG. It took me around 55-60 hours to go through the main quest and as many side quests as I was able to find.
And just when I was being a bit tired of playing it, the endgame came up.

Nulled: Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
I enjoyed the original Call of Juarez, probably more for its setting than its gameplay, but I still liked it.
Not so much CoJ:BiB.
An extremely annoying cover system, 100% on-rails action that is even worse than the most lovely Call of Duty games, and to top it off, some really unlikable protagonists.
Two hours in and I had enough of of this turd. I really hope Gunslinger goes back to what made the first one good: classic FPS in a western setting and not bad console game where a sidekick constantly keeps telling you to do this and that.

"Nulled": Pinball FX2
Moving this to my "Endless" category, as you can't really beat it, just like any multiplayer games, this is something I play on and off, and so far it has been an absolute joy. Well worth checking out, even if you only enjoy pinball games once in a while.

Nulled: Super House of Dead Ninjas
I really enjoyed this platformer, but I also realize that I don't have the twitch-reflexes anymore to beat some of the later levels and also not the patience to keep trying when I don't see any progress anymore.
Definitely worth checking out for action platformer lovers though and an enjoyable game too.

Beat: The Clockwork Man: The Hidden World
A combined Hidden Object/Puzzle game with a story that's a direct sequel to the first Clockwork Man game. Casual games at its most mediocre.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 19, 2013

SafetyTrain
Nov 26, 2012

Bringing a knife to a bear fight
Beat: The Witcher 2
I liked the first game but I was just annoyed to bits by all the little bullshit in this one. lovely map, lovely menus, lovely voice-acting, lovely animations.
This is NOT an objective opinion, because this game made me a whiny bitch. I am however thankful it's done!

Beat: Legend of Grimrock
I really enjoyed this game, even though I stressed through parts of it. Lovely atmosphere, superb puzzles and challenging to boot.
I never grew up with these kind of games so there was an added bonus of getting too experience a part of early gaming history.

Beat: Rock of Ages
Fun game, nice Monty Python-esque humour. I felt it became repetitive and stale in the end. There just wasn't that much variation.

Nulled: The Baconing
I just don't feel like playing a mediocre ARPG with done-to-death jokes.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
New 100% achievement games this week:

Sanctum - Now that Sanctum 2 is out they'll likely stop adding new maps and new achievements to 1, so I can finally come in and finish this up for good. I like Sanctum a lot! Everyone else seems to think the gunplay is boring and the TD part is lacklustre but I thought it all worked well together, especially when doing maps on insane. It's very satisfying to manage all of your gun cooldowns and weapon switching perfectly.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beat: Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
I just finished MP2. I really love playing all these games I didn't play 10 years ago and finding gems like this one.
Here is what I wrote on Steam:
Ten years after it originally got released, I finally came around to playing it and it was an absolute blast!
While the first Max Payne has really dated graphics that could probably hold some back from playing it, this second installment still works. Sure, widescreen needs a fix, and it's not triple-A graphics anymore, but the story and the action is right on the money.
Just like the first one, it's still unforgiving in that even a small mistake can take away 50% of your health, so quick save is in heavy use, but the bullet time shooting is so drat fun, it's OK to try particular scenes 5 or 10 times, to make it through without any loss of health and only a minimal amount of ammo spent.
Only real lowpoint: There is a highly annoying escort mission in the last act.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I finally finished replaying The Witcher with the Full Combat Rebalance mod. I played on Hard, which was the default for the mod, and some of the boss fights were brutal. I had around 15-20 attempts for some of the hardest ones, and had to micromanage my potion stacking like a crazy person. It also really highlights all the problems with the core combat mechanics. You'll click on a monster to attack, and if you're not perfectly positioned, Geralt will start stiffly moving towards the monster, all the while taking shitloads of damage from any other monsters that you happen to be fighting.

It was still a lot of fun though, and there are a lot of really good changes the mod makes. The only thing that's totally bullshit are some of the fights at the beginning, which happen before you have access to the potions and oils that are now mandatory, and the bullshit cinematics that dump you into a fight without any chance to prepare, or make so much time pass in game that all your potions have worn off.

It'd been so long that I'd forgotten most of the story too, so it was good to get back up to speed on that. I went Neutral this time, and now I had a new save I could import and jump right into The Witcher 2 finally. I like it so far, the combat system is definitely leaps and bounds ahead of the first. I'm really disappointed that there's no option to use the Polish language track in Witcher 2 though, I don't like the English voice actor for Geralt, especially having played through the first one with the Polish VO. I don't speak Polish but drat Geralt sounds perfect in the original language. He's just a total deadpan badass.

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT
I beat Poker Night 2 and decided that Borderlands 2 was an awesome game to play collect on sale.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

FanofPortals posted:

decided that Borderlands 2 was an awesome game to play collect on sale.

Yeah, I bought that too. I enjoyed the first one well enough, even doing it single player, so I thought, why not? I already started it. The UI is pretty horrible (especially the skill & inventory screens, and why the hell is so much of the screen wasted on showing your character staring at the menu? Is there some way to disable this so that the menu actually takes up the whole screen?), but otherwise seems about the same as the first one.

I'm having troubles sticking with one game lately, though. I've stalled out on System Shock 2 (keep dying in one certain area), started Hotline Miami (mostly been playing it while intoxicated), made some progress in Red Faction: Guerrilla but kinda lost interest for some reason, and now I'm doing Borderlands 2. But at least I'm playing some of the games I bought, maybe I'll finish one or more of them eventually.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Fell off the wagon a bit due to Amazon sales.

NEW GAME: :darksouls: I'm curious what all the fuss is about.

NEW GAME: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

Only a bit though.

BEATEN: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. I don't really play racers, but this was a blast. I cleared out the World Tour clearing each stage on B-Class (silver), and it was actually decently challenging. I spent about six and a half hours doing that, and now there's A-Class work to try for and the other bonus zones, as well as all the modes that aren't World Tour.

IN PROGRESS: Monaco. This was a gift, and so I mostly have been co-opping with it. It's a pretty cute little run-and-take-stuff-and-hide game.

IN PROGRESS: XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Things are cruising along. I need to build a Gollop Chamber and find a soldier with the Gift but I'm kinda holding off on that seeing as how I don't even have any plasma rifles yet.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ManxomeBromide posted:

Fell off the wagon a bit due to Amazon sales.

NEW GAME: :darksouls: I'm curious what all the fuss is about.

Don't forget to setup DSFix when you go play dark souls (read the dsfix manual, turn off in game AA). Also grab a controller.

e: with respect to game progress on my end.

In Progress: Metro 2033. Ranger Hardcore. It has been really fun. Just got through the library. That part was not as tense as I remember though that's probably because the volt driver was killing the librarians in one shot. I quit at the Amoeba's last time I played this game. I hope I can get past them and finally finish it this time.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 22, 2013

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

This is my new favorite website: http://www.howlongtobeat.com/

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I beat Tomb Raider: Anniversary. It was fun. I found all the relics and all the artifacts, but did not complete the time trials so I'm not marking this as completed. If you have it in your backlog and you're looking to kill 15-20 hours, I would recommend it, or if it goes on sale I'd recommend it as well, but I wouldn't buy it not on sale. Think I'm going to give Men of War a go next.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Beat all three Brothers in Arms games. First one was the best by far. The levels are essentially linear, but the game somehow masks it very well. You're not in a tube made for your amusement, you're in a real French village where people live and work for the most part. It's also the most authentic-feeling. It's a bit unpolished but that's easy to forgive. Last mission unfortunately manages to lose a lot of goodwill despite having one of the most believable sacrifices/suicides in gaming history. Great extras and I'd love to read them all but there's absolutely no way I'm going to replay the game again on Hard and then again on Authentic to unlock all of them. If anyone knows cheat codes or Youtube links...

Earned in Blood is the worst of three. It combines bad things from both realism and gaming points of view. On one hand you have one-hit kills and random deaths by artillery fire. On the other levels are mazes obviously made to "enhance" the experience, you have to sneak past tanks to steal Panzerfausts almost every time you meet a tank and checkpoints are sparse. Especially the last one is grating. I finished the final level and was about to pop smoke to end the level. A random mortar round hit me before I could place a smoke grenade. Had to play the whole final fight over again.

Hell's Highway is more a cover shooter and less a tactical thingy. It's possible to pop Germans from behind cover with accurate rifle fire of blast their sandbags apart with bazooka. Unfortunately the whole experience is badly marred by virtue of being War Drama Where Men Cry. It's also Part 1 of something that was never continued. Still, shooting feels good and the game plays mostly very well. The violence left me with mixed feelings. Somehow it feels very cruel and personal every now and then, despite being mostly confined to non-interactive parts. I guess that was the intention.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Beat Metro 2033 In Ranger Hardcore mode. That was a pretty fun game and I'm glad I went back and finally completed it. gently caress Biomass though. gently caress it forever. What were they thinking. It's ridiculous and took me like 6 or 8 tries because I would keep having those little bombs sneak up on me.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Finished Mark of the Ninja. Loved it so much that I even went back to do a no-kill New Game Plus run and get all achievements. Simply the best stealth game since Thief 2.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I realized this week that I have a huge backlog of not only games but books and film/tv shows. So gently caress it I made a list and I'm sticking to it. So;

In Progress:
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Persona 4 Golden

Started:
Resident Evil Revelations (PC)
Bioshock Infinite (PC)
Metal Gear Rising (PS3)

Crap for later:

Catherine (PS3)
Demon Souls
Ico (PS3)

It's a lot I know..

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Shoehead posted:

I realized this week that I have a huge backlog of not only games but books and film/tv shows. So gently caress it I made a list and I'm sticking to it. So;
Pretty much in the same boat, I'm playing about 5 different games right now, in addition to trying to catch up with my other media.

BUT, I just BEAT: Tomb Raider (2013)

For a mostly linear, third-person action setpiece game, I thought this was fairly good. It's more a roller coaster ride than a game, but the way the game pulls off the sheer SCALE of its action and environments left me very impressed. It's the kind of game where you can see these faint structures in the far-off distance and say to yourself, "I am totally going to go there later and something messed up and fantastic is bound to happen when I get there." A gorgeous, grotesque, and stunningly immense game from start to finish.

Though it features pretty standard gunplay and cover-shooting mechanics (I found the automatic cover to be incredibly finicky), I think the enemy AI has some pretty surprising tactics to it that raises it above other cover shooters. They'll actively try and outflank you, will call attention to when they've hurt you and increase pressure on attacking you, and there's a pretty decent variety of enemy types. Unfortunately, the weapon upgrade system using salvage is mostly superfluous and doesn't really require a separate mechanic (but kind of needs to be there in order to create the illusion of more 'depth'), and the brawler moves were incredibly wonky for me to execute. I think the combat/skill system just manages to skirt by into "all right" territory, but not by much. If there's a sequel, this ought to be one of the main things that gets addressed.

Outside of that, my main gripes lie mainly with the QTE sequences which can pop up in cutscenes without your really knowing, many of which result in instant death, and the shift of the series' focus from "puzzle-action game" to "action-shooter with a few really simple puzzles." Tomb Raider gets the scale perfectly, but the scope and meat of the series is a bit lost in homogenizing the game to play more like Uncharted. Hell, I still really enjoyed the game, so maybe it's not such a terrible thing to follow in Naughty Dog's steps, but there's some nagging thoughts in the back of my head that really wants some of that classic puzzle action back- I think that would be a good way to distinguish the series from Uncharted, in addition to TR's differences in tone.

I think you can get this for $10 at GMG right now, so snatch it up if you're interested.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Finally on my Summer Holidays and though I have repeats, I will also try and complete a few games in my spare time. So lets start with two short ones.

BEATEN: Game Dev Tycoon - I know, this isn't technically on Steam yet, but it's certainly a fun experience. I actually developed some good games, from such gripping and original titles as Deceased Void, Call of Honour and the Demand & Dominate RTS series. The later years, with the XBox 720, PS4 and other new systems, kind of drag on a bit and it would have interesting to see other games developers or companies interact with you more. It's definitely worth a look.

COMPLETED: Deadlight - drat this game was annoying for me. I love the aesthetic design choices and the atmosphere of it all, it just seems like some choices were made to hamper your experience. I decided to play this with a Logitech Controller and some of the button prompts were really weird, right down to inverted controls while climbing a ladder. I also wish I didn't have to fight anyone, as the gun controls are terrible with a controller and the game feels more like a tense survival game where you should sneak past the zombies shadows. It's a good game, just not a fun one, especially with such difficult controls.

Currently Playing
Picked up COD Black Ops 2 and Bioshock: Infinite half price in GameStop, so I'll be playing them soon enough. Right now though, I may want to try complete Brutal Legend and Zeno Clash 2 before I install anymore games.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Nulled: Trainz: Settle & Carlisle

It's a train game alright. I'm sure a lot of work went into making the railways and trains authentic.

I'd be up for like a fifteen minute train challenge. But the shortest ones are 45 minutes and up to three hours.

And then there's this.

I'm afraid I'm just not cut out for old-timey locomotion.

Working on Tomb Raider and am about halfway through my current Victoria II game. Also moving through Metro 2033.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
New 100% achievement games for this week:

Lucius - It's alright. You get given some cool sounding demon powers but you can't really have any fun with them, they're just there as tools to solve puzzles, and the death scenes tended to be really gruesome which put me off a little. I'd have really liked it if it allowed multiple solutions to each puzzle and had a more lighthearted tone. There were achievements for playing for 20 and 40 hours but I had completed everything else in about 8 hours.

Karateka - I really like this because its 20 minutes long and all QTEs, which is how I would like every game to be. I am killing modern gaming. You go up against a gauntlet of fighters and have to block their attacks before you can counter with your own. Every opponent has a different set of moves they can use on you so you need to learn their movesets and the timing to block everything. The final achievement was to get through the whole game without being hit once and it was incredibly satisfying to nail it.

Bastion - Maybe doesn't really count because I only needed the score attack achievement that they patched in later. I just flew through the story stages then got almost all of the needed points in the strangers dream. Bastion is still a fun game but I think I'm done with it forever now.

Hotline Miami - Really doesn't count because I played it for about 20 seconds. A new beta patch now unlocks the final achievement if you qualify for it.

I'm really excited that the new Steam profiles can show how many 100% games you have!