Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Two things:

Here is my Parker collection.

From left to right, Sonnet (roller ball), Latitude, Latitude, 41, 51, 51 demi, 21 and Vector.
I bought the two Latitudes (one is my father's) when Staples was selling out of their top end Parkers. They were marked down from $80 to $12, I think. The 41 has a cracked barrel unfortunately and is not yet usable. The two 51s are the nicest writing pens I have ever owned. The 21 is, as of yet, unused and has a matching pencil and the Vector is from a calligraphy set and is a great every-day-carry. I love me some Parker pens!

Also, on the note of cleaning, I came across a Koh-i-noor cleaning kit that I bought and forgot a long time ago.
like this one:

You can remove the plastic bits at the end of the bulb. It is nice for cleaning cartridge style pens. The solution is pretty mild and loosens ink pretty well. You can still get this kit for ~$30 at DickBlick or Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Man, I keep checking every antique store I drive by - and yes, if I'm on a road trip I'll stop and ask - and no one has ever had any fountain pens. The owners always give me a funny look and say "nope".

Where do folks get their older pens? eBay? Do my antique shops just suck?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Solkanar512 posted:

Man, I keep checking every antique store I drive by - and yes, if I'm on a road trip I'll stop and ask - and no one has ever had any fountain pens. The owners always give me a funny look and say "nope".

Ebay is one place, but every antique shop or estate sale around here invariably has a pile of busted rear end old fountain pens that are completely destroyed. Usually there are one or two working ones out of a hundred or more. If you can find those, you're in for some great deals - or if you can find ones that you can easily fix something like a busted gasket on, or a leaking nib you can score that way too. By and large though, you're gonna have to sift through TONS of poo poo to find anything worth getting. Then again, that's pretty much like every second hand store experience ever though.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Solkanar512 posted:

I've bought pens on ebay, antiques stores and even Goodwill. (I shouldn't let this cat out of the bag but shopgoodwill.com has had some impressive old pens come up before.) I live in Illinois and the Sheaffer mfg. plant used to be in Iowa, so every time I go to Iowa I find TONS of pens in the antique and second hand stores. Parkers come cheap in the land of Sheaffer.

Platypus Farm posted:

Ebay is one place, but every antique shop or estate sale around here invariably has a pile of busted rear end old fountain pens that are completely destroyed. Usually there are one or two working ones out of a hundred or more. If you can find those, you're in for some great deals - or if you can find ones that you can easily fix something like a busted gasket on, or a leaking nib you can score that way too. By and large though, you're gonna have to sift through TONS of poo poo to find anything worth getting. Then again, that's pretty much like every second hand store experience ever though.

That's part of the fun. :)

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Some don't care about pens, but Every city seems to have ONE shop with a ton of pens. Also, flea markets. They're usually full of the same people every weekend or whatever. Walk in, ask any 5 vendors, one will tell you who has them, if anyone does.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
At school, we were forced to use fountain pens. I was one of the ones with a horrible Parker pen, and when I changed schools and was allowed to use a disposable ballpoint I never looked back. This drat thread had me pick up a Lamy Safari the other day, and it's actually nice to write with.

I wish I'd borrowed a Lamy off someone at school.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Gah this loving thread, started reading it and within a day I bought another fountain pen (black pilot metropolitan).

I'm considering selling most of the pens I have actually, they're all cheapies: Lamy Safari, Lamy Aluminum, Noodlers Ahab, Parker Frontier.

I might keep the small green Noodlers flex, it's actually quite nice, I much prefer it over the two Ahabs I had (one I broke). But other than that I would probably sell them all and start over with nicer pens. I hope the metro can be one of those nicer pens, despite it being in the same price range.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just wait until you own a bunch of nice inks, you'll want all those pens so you can use them at once.

(Buy some Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo and wonder why you bothered to write in any other colour).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have a buncha inks already though, I really like Noodler's Bay State Blue, so insanely nice but ack it discolors everything you use it in and beware spilling it.

Lets see I have:
-Noodlers Bay State Blue
-Noodlers Midnight blue
-Noodlers Blue Eel (thought it would be slippery and super easy to write, but BBS does it better)
-Noodler's X-Feather black

Mostly noodlers, I also have some Sheaffer Skrip in various colors. I've found that I put ink in a pen, then use it an put it away and next time (can be weeks) it's all dried up again. So I think I'd do better with a smaller amount of pens that I change the ink more often in. Maybe just one or two.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Welsper posted:

Just wait until you own a bunch of nice inks, you'll want all those pens so you can use them at once.

(Buy some Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo and wonder why you bothered to write in any other colour).

I might need to see it in person, but I prefer Syo-Ro over Tsuki-Yo. Granted when you use Syo-Ro with a fine nib it looks more like a cross between the two, much less green. I just like the shading I get with it so much, but I also prefer green over blue in general, and I also might lack sense as I have Ina-Ho and Chika-Rin too, which are like writing with gold~copper and lime respectively. Although using the Chika-Rin in my bright green Lamy seems pretty great, which reminds me, I need to try the Ina-Ho in that since it's my 1.5 italic nib, sorta want to see how it and Syo-Ro do with that.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have a buncha inks already though, I really like Noodler's Bay State Blue, so insanely nice but ack it discolors everything you use it in and beware spilling it.

Lets see I have:
-Noodlers Bay State Blue
-Noodlers Midnight blue
-Noodlers Blue Eel (thought it would be slippery and super easy to write, but BBS does it better)
-Noodler's X-Feather black

Mostly noodlers, I also have some Sheaffer Skrip in various colors. I've found that I put ink in a pen, then use it an put it away and next time (can be weeks) it's all dried up again. So I think I'd do better with a smaller amount of pens that I change the ink more often in. Maybe just one or two.

I find the Eel series is really nice in piston-pens every now and again. You can't beat the color of BSB though, drat.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Brightman posted:

I might need to see it in person, but I prefer Syo-Ro over Tsuki-Yo. Granted when you use Syo-Ro with a fine nib it looks more like a cross between the two, much less green. I just like the shading I get with it so much, but I also prefer green over blue in general, and I also might lack sense as I have Ina-Ho and Chika-Rin too, which are like writing with gold~copper and lime respectively. Although using the Chika-Rin in my bright green Lamy seems pretty great, which reminds me, I need to try the Ina-Ho in that since it's my 1.5 italic nib, sorta want to see how it and Syo-Ro do with that.

That's why I just bought Shin Ryoku to go along with my Tsuki-Yo. I can mix the two to get Syo-Ro! :sun:

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

CannedMacabre posted:

Also, on the note of cleaning, I came across a Koh-i-noor cleaning kit that I bought and forgot a long time ago.
like this one:

You can remove the plastic bits at the end of the bulb. It is nice for cleaning cartridge style pens. The solution is pretty mild and loosens ink pretty well. You can still get this kit for ~$30 at DickBlick or Amazon.
You could also get a bulb-style nasal aspirator from Amazon or CVS and literally spend far less than half of that.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Obligatory Toast posted:

You could also get a bulb-style nasal aspirator from Amazon or CVS and literally spend far less than half of that.

True. I had one laying around that I had bought on the cheap. The little plastic tips are good for cleaning koh-i-noor technical pens, and the solution is a good mild solvent for neglected ink, but $30 is a bit ridiculous. Oh, and Koh-i-noor Technical pens are a pain to keep clean and functioning. Imagine using a mechanical pencil, taking out the leads and filling it with ink. That's my impression of them.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Butts.

I left my favourite pen in a random classroom when I was teaching today and I know I'll never see it again.

Shame, it was a lovely, heavy little pen from Hero which fitted my hand exactly and the black veneer was just beginning to chip away around the tail to reveal the metal underneath.

I have no idea why I was able to pick it up for only 60RMB (I work/live in China) but I did, and it has been a pleasure to write with for the past year.

I bought a couple of cheapo replacements (because I can't be trusted with nice things anymore) but I am going to pop into town for my weekly foreign-food treat tomorrow and I know I will end up sniffing around for something special.

When I first read this thread I scoffed (seriously, it was like you guys and the "Travel Gear Megathread" where they talk about which neoprene jorts can be compressed into a buttpouch [or perhaps a "bulb style nasal aspirator"] for efficient stowage) but now I find myself missing my pen and not wanting to sign anything until I get a new one. A proper new one, with weight and such.

Dammit.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 9, 2013

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I just got my first Lamy Alstar on the reccomendation of this thread. I LOVE IT. I never thought a pen could be this awesome but this is way way better than Ballpoints

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I just got my first Lamy Alstar on the reccomendation of this thread. I LOVE IT. I never thought a pen could be this awesome but this is way way better than Ballpoints

Similarly my Lamy 2000 just arrived in the mail. It looks (and feels) even better in person than over an online catalog. Inked it up with a bottle of Noodler's Ottoman Azure that I also ordered, and it writes like a charm.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Is anyone interested in doing a letter exchange?
I've actually had a lot of fun in recent years mailing random celebrities (authors mostly) and have had great results. Letter writing is fun! Plus it's a great excuse to use up so much of the various stationary and inks I've randomly acquired.

Anyone?

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

iostream.h posted:

I've actually had a lot of fun in recent years mailing random celebrities (authors mostly) and have had great results. Letter writing is fun! Plus it's a great excuse to use up so much of the various stationary and inks I've randomly acquired.

Anyone?

I'm in. I already write occasional letters to family members old-fashioned enough to appreciate them.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

iostream.h posted:

Anyone?

Sure, I'm down! Might be fun.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I'd do it, but I'm so drat terrible with handwriting... eh screw it, I can only get better with more practice, right?

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

I'd also be up to this. Somehow just taking notes in class isn't cutting the craving to write more.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I'm in. My roommate left me a ton of card making supplies when she moved to California. Might as well use it, right?

ghableska
Jul 9, 2008
If any of you are interested there's a post/discuss your handwriting thread in A/T. It's pretty fun to see other people's styles.

My question is about nibs. I bought a Lamy Safari with an EF nib and I've been enjoying it quite a lot. I really like the look of writing that people can achieve with flex or italic nibs-- are these usable for normal writing like notes and things, or are they better saved for slow, purposeful writing? Are there any particular beginner nibs for the Lamy you'd recommend?

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

ghableska posted:

If any of you are interested there's a post/discuss your handwriting thread in A/T. It's pretty fun to see other people's styles.

My question is about nibs. I bought a Lamy Safari with an EF nib and I've been enjoying it quite a lot. I really like the mlook of writing that people can achieve with flex or italic nibs-- are these usable for normal writing like notes and things, or are they better saved for slow, purposeful writing? Are there any particular beginner nibs for the Lamy you'd recommend?
I use my italic nibs for everything. My general use pen is a Lamy Joy. 1.1 nib. It is a very slight italic line that makes my handwriting even prettier.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

ghableska posted:

My question is about nibs. I bought a Lamy Safari with an EF nib and I've been enjoying it quite a lot. I really like the look of writing that people can achieve with flex or italic nibs-- are these usable for normal writing like notes and things, or are they better saved for slow, purposeful writing? Are there any particular beginner nibs for the Lamy you'd recommend?

I haven't used any of Lamy's alternative nibs, but a modern (e.g. Noodler's) flex nib doesn't really require deliberate writing.

Also, I'd probably be down for a letter exchange.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Awesome!
Let me figure out the logistics and we'll get something rolling!

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Logistically, it's probably just a matter of PM/emails to get addresses.

So to step away for a moment, I think I murdered my Ahab. The piston doesn't want to stay screwed into the section: it'll just keep screwing and pop off. Have I somehow done something dumb, or can I ignore that?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Zenostein posted:

Logistically, it's probably just a matter of PM/emails to get addresses.

So to step away for a moment, I think I murdered my Ahab. The piston doesn't want to stay screwed into the section: it'll just keep screwing and pop off. Have I somehow done something dumb, or can I ignore that?

Forget the whole thing and dive into the world of eyedropper fillers. :unsmigghh::hf::getin:

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

I have a barnes and noble gift card, and the only fountain pen they sell is the Cross Bailey Fountain Pen. Any idea if it's a good starter pen?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Went to some antique shops over the weekend, came back empty handed. Did find some fountain pens, but nothing worth buying and trying to fix. I found some Scheaffers that looked like they were cartridge pens but the cartridge was the whole body, seemed odd. The only semi-promising one was a Wearever pen, but it was really gunked up with old ink, and also bright purple.

I'd also probably be up for letter writing shenanigans.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
So, you guys convinced me. Last week I ordered the Pilot Metropolitan, my first fountain pen, because of all of your awesome pen chat. Looks like it's going to come in today or tomorrow, and I can't wait. I love Pilot's gel pens (a lot of the time I use just the cartridge itself to write with, it's pretty sturdy) so I figured it'd be a good brand to take the plunge with.

Thanks for all the helpful info!

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

After buying the Aurora Hastil a few weeks ago, I've been really interested in looking for other slim, metal pens. I know Sheaffer did a Targa Slim in stainless steel, and there's the Lamy Pur which is aluminium. Does anyone know of any others like these?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Vitamins posted:

After buying the Aurora Hastil a few weeks ago, I've been really interested in looking for other slim, metal pens. I know Sheaffer did a Targa Slim in stainless steel, and there's the Lamy Pur which is aluminium. Does anyone know of any others like these?
Faber Castell Ambition. I have one and absolutely love it. It's a hard nib without a lot of feel or feedback but is great for writing on crappy paper or carbon copies and the like. Looks beautiful in my opinion.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

iostream.h posted:

Faber Castell Ambition. I have one and absolutely love it. It's a hard nib without a lot of feel or feedback but is great for writing on crappy paper or carbon copies and the like. Looks beautiful in my opinion.

Oh that's really nice. The section looks really short though, do you hold it by the section or the barrel?

Was looking at the Cross Classic Century too, that fits with what I like.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Vitamins posted:

Oh that's really nice. The section looks really short though, do you hold it by the section or the barrel?

Was looking at the Cross Classic Century too, that fits with what I like.
Mostly the barrel I think, I haven't actually paid attention to it, it sits nicely in the cradle of my hand and writes easily as a result.
it doesn't FEEL short, it's a fairly weighty little pen, of note (for all the posting heathens in here) I do not post it and it balances well but I bought one for a friend and she posts her pen and also says it balances well.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Vitamins posted:

The Muji aluminium fountain pen is literally a silver barrel and no accoutrements whatsoever.

It's not a fantastic pen, but for the price it's very serviceable and decent.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
What do y'all keep your pens and pen accessories in?

I'm starting to accumulate some quantity of "pen stuff" like extra converters (I don't like the squeezy ones so I always swap them out) and the like. Right now I just have my small items in an empty Altoids tin, and the pens that aren't currently in use are stuffed in the box my Metropolitan came in. As long as I don't get anything new, this is working OK but we all know that's unlikely so I need to figure out a better storage solution. I keep all my pen stuff at work in my desk so I've been looking at things like roll-up pen cases on JetPens because I don't really have room for a big box or anything.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Ed Mungo posted:

I found a glass 'frog' (for florists) that I use on my desk for my 'in use' pens. Works really well and looks nice.
Like this:

Edit: Ok, let's try this this way.
Everyone who wants to participate in the pen pal thing, PM me your mailing addresses, and if you don't have PMs then email them to iostream.header at the googles and I'll start matching people up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Ed Mungo posted:

I use an Ikea KASSETT box to put my stuff in. It's pretty sturdy, cheap as hell, and holds 4 bottles of ink, about 30 ink samples, pen repair stuff, and 8 or so pens. It's not full yet either.