Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Yeah he went around looking like a beat up 60 year old a while but it scared the civs a bit too much. Still, you can notice he's aged quite a bit mentally in a bunch of his stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!
Some fan-made movie just came out :Judge Minty

Haven't had time to check it out yet but it seems pretty competently made.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Yannos posted:

I enjoyed it a lot as a simple, fun and well-executed movie. It's clear that a lot of work went into it and I thought it a great representation of Mega-City One and the Cursed Earth.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Yannos posted:

It's out? Thanks for the heads up - I wanted to see it when it was released.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

rotinaj posted:

I was actually just reading through the wikipedia summaries of the major arcs of Judge Dredd, so good timing on this. Do any authors try to get Dredd going all comic-book-hero and liberal and poo poo and just not get what Dredd's whole point is, or did they manage to keep him more-or-less on-task?

Getting the tone of Dredd right has been something of a problem for guest writers over the years, at times there's been a tendency to make him either too harsh or too liberal. Even Alan Grant, who co-wrote the strip for the best part of a decade, is at odds with Wagner's slightly more sympathetic portrayal of the character - Grant sees him as a pure fascist with no redeeming features at all. In fact it was a difference of opinion over how far Dredd would go that led to their writing partnership breaking up in the late eighties; Wagner insisted Dredd wouldn't shoot a major supporting character in the back, whereas Grant said that he would.

There's been a few cases were writers have got the tone drastically wrong, including one infamous story with Dredd getting all weepy over a dying crack baby that has become notorious as how not to do Dredd.

There was that pretty horrible early 90s period when Wagner was semi-retired from Dredd and the main strip passed through the hands of various writers, with differing degrees of awfulness. Garth Ennis tried his best, but was too young and inexperienced to really do the character justice. Grant Morrison & Mark Millar seemed to approach it with the attitude of "This is a load of dated boys adventure nonsense, lets just take the piss." And the stories they wrote were terrible as a result, an exercise in missing the point. There were also a few stories written by then editor Alan MacKenzie under the pseudonym "Sonny Steelgrave" that are regarded pretty much as the worst Dredd strips ever published, and they really are just unpleasant on every level, veering into actual racism in places.

Thankfully, Wagner returned and things improved, but it's not to hard to see why the comic was haemorrhaging readers back then.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I recently decided to get into Dredd. I owned Case Files 01 (the American trade) for over a year but the first few issues were so off-the-wall I put it down and started reading something else. Probably The Metabarons. Anyway, I watched the new film recently and loved it. I'm going to get back into Case Files 01, and want to catch up with the whole series. Are the American Case Files different content-wise from the UK versions? I know the Americans only go to 5, whereas the UK books are at 14 or something. Are we that far behind over there or are each of the American versions more content-heavy than the UK ones?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Pretty sure they are identical other than the covers. They don't seem to be in a hurry to release stuff in the US, although I see case files 6 is available for pre-order. Nemesis only has the first book and none of the Strontium Dog books are over here. I kinda wonder if they ever will be.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Martello posted:

I recently decided to get into Dredd. I owned Case Files 01 (the American trade) for over a year but the first few issues were so off-the-wall I put it down and started reading something else. Probably The Metabarons. Anyway, I watched the new film recently and loved it. I'm going to get back into Case Files 01, and want to catch up with the whole series. Are the American Case Files different content-wise from the UK versions? I know the Americans only go to 5, whereas the UK books are at 14 or something. Are we that far behind over there or are each of the American versions more content-heavy than the UK ones?

As david_a said they should be the same. To help you confirm, here's what each UK volume covers:

CF1: Prog 2-60
CF2: Prog 61-115
CF3: Prog 116-155
CF4: Prog 156-207
CF5: Prog 208-270

The UK volumes are at 19, with CF20 out in June and CF21 in October. Now the Restricted Files are done (thank Christ) Rebellion seem to be back to three volumes a year, so we'll be making small headway into the 20-year backlog. Hopefully they'll up that to four volumes for a while, so we get past the slack period and hit The Pit with CF25 next year.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
So I guess once I get done with 5, 6 will probably be out. At that point I'll decide if it's worth it to import the UK versions. Probably is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Martello posted:

So I guess once I get done with 5, 6 will probably be out. At that point I'll decide if it's worth it to import the UK versions. Probably is.

You may as well. It'll be a long time if ever before the US editions catch up.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I just read 2000 AD Annual 1978. There's a Dredd story in there about a guy using these flying robot drones with matter destruction rays to terrorize the New York district of Mega City One. One of the first acts this terrorist does to prove he's not messing around? He blows up the World Trade Center.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Sold

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 16, 2013

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Crossposting from the digtal comics thread

Amazon.co.uk are having a Kindle Fire book sale with some good bargains including The first five Dredd Case Files and America for under £2 each. .

I assume these work OK on the iPad and Android Tablet Kindle apps but can't say for sure.

Here

edit: Just got Case Files Five (for Apocalypse War and "Gaze into the fist of Dredd") and it's Ok-ish on the iPad app. The pages are small and don't take up the full screen and double-page spreads aren't catered for at all, they're just treated as two seperate pages. The panel-to-panel view is rather clunky as well. Not bad for £1.89 but I don't think I'll be using the Kindle app for any more comics.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 18, 2013

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Shameless posted:

Crossposting from the digtal comics thread

Amazon.co.uk are having a Kindle Fire book sale with some good bargains including The first five Dredd Case Files and America for under £2 each. .

I assume these work OK on the iPad and Android Tablet Kindle apps but can't say for sure.

Here

edit: Just got Case Files Five (for Apocalypse War and "Gaze into the fist of Dredd") and it's Ok-ish on the iPad app. The pages are small and don't take up the full screen and double-page spreads aren't catered for at all, they're just treated as two seperate pages. The panel-to-panel view is rather clunky as well. Not bad for £1.89 but I don't think I'll be using the Kindle app for any more comics.

Does it work on your PC? Just tried to download Origins and it's saying it's incompatible, which I've never seen before.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Crashbee posted:

Does it work on your PC? Just tried to download Origins and it's saying it's incompatible, which I've never seen before.

I've just tried it now and I'm seeing the same "not compatible with this device" message. I even made sure I was using the latest version of the Kindle software too.

That's really lovely.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
I've been working through case files #4 and got to the story where some aliens have a gun that causes the target to experience their deepest fears x1000. It was awesome seeing Dredd's reaction to his greatest fear: :geno: a judge has no fear

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

I'm having alot of fun with all the stuff I've read so far. Case Files one does tend to be quite silly compared to anything else that's come out. I've read that Case Files 5 is one of the better places to read what makes Dredd, Dredd. I would rather just read through all the case files back to front.

Can anyone tell me where the collection The Day the Law Died falls specifically into the timeline of the series?

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I've been working through case files #4 and got to the story where some aliens have a gun that causes the target to experience their deepest fears x1000. It was awesome seeing Dredd's reaction to his greatest fear: :geno: a judge has no fear

That's amazing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BERGfu posted:

Can anyone tell me where the collection The Day the Law Died falls specifically into the timeline of the series?

Immediately after The Cursed Earth. That's Case Files 2, I think.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
For those that care, the US edition of Case Files #6 drops on August 13 and there's an Amazon listing for Case Files #7 in February 2014, for whatever that's worth.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Jedit posted:

Immediately after The Cursed Earth. That's Case Files 2, I think.

Oh great! I'll just hold off on reading that one then until I finish up 1 and 2. Thanks

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tato posted:

For those that care, the US edition of Case Files #6 drops on August 13 and there's an Amazon listing for Case Files #7 in February 2014, for whatever that's worth.

For those that really care, Case Files 21 hits the UK in October.

Judge Dredd Classics issue 1 came out this week. It's the start of Block Mania with a new colouring job that is at least better than the one from the late 1980s. You're still better off getting Case Files, though.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Jedit posted:

For those that really care, Case Files 21 hits the UK in October.

Judge Dredd Classics issue 1 came out this week. It's the start of Block Mania with a new colouring job that is at least better than the one from the late 1980s. You're still better off getting Case Files, though.

My god I really got to catch up.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Judge Dredd Classics issue one was the first Judge Dredd I've ever read and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I will continue to pick up that book. I'm assuming it was all originally black and white?

Did anyone else pick it up? Did the coloring offend you? You sometimes read about that.

I really wish they figured out a better way to print it though there was a lot of wasted space.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Judge Dredd Classics issue one was the first Judge Dredd I've ever read and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I will continue to pick up that book. I'm assuming it was all originally black and white?

Apart from the cover (which was the wraparound cover to Prog 238) and possibly one or two double page spreads, yes. If you liked it, though, you would be better served buying Judge Dredd Case Files 5 - it has the complete story you're reading plus a lot more, and will cost less than buying Classics.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!

Jedit posted:

Apart from the cover (which was the wraparound cover to Prog 238) and possibly one or two double page spreads, yes. If you liked it, though, you would be better served buying Judge Dredd Case Files 5 - it has the complete story you're reading plus a lot more, and will cost less than buying Classics.

Thanks for the advice. I bought the first issue and there wasn't even a price on the book. (I got the Bolland cover) Four dollars is sort of a lot these days, still.

I shall now look into these Judge Dredd Case Files.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Thanks for the advice. I bought the first issue and there wasn't even a price on the book. (I got the Bolland cover) Four dollars is sort of a lot these days, still.

I shall now look into these Judge Dredd Case Files.

You can get the whole lot of the case files from Amazon at ridiculous low prices. I think there's also a coupon thing in SA mart that makes it even cheaper. I don't know where that thread for the coupon is though just look around.

Buying the custom covers is good if you're actually looking into collecting as opposed to just reading the stories. Case files 5 is a good start to where you get the Dredd most of know and love.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I've been reading loads of Dredd since the film came out (having not read any before). I started on Case Files 2 and I'm currently a hundred pages or so into 5. To be honest I'm enjoying the recent stuff more than the classic stuff from the Case Files, which I'm finding a wee bit hit and miss. Although when they're good I love it, The Day The Law Died had some great stuff (Judge Fish and just Cal's general madness), and I particularly liked the parts of the Judge Child story where they ended up on the war-obsessed planet and the one with the disappearing jigsaw man.

Meanwhile at the other end of the timeline I've read Origins, both Tour Of Duty collections, and the first Day of Chaos book (I have the second one here ready to start). Happily, starting at both ends has meant I read The Cursed Earth before reading Origins (which follows up on some of the events of that story) and I'm also reading the Apocalypse War at the same time as the Day Of Chaos stuff, which seems to make sense.

I've also been reading the 2000AD strips since the film came out, which are all of an incredibly high standard. In fact one of the recent stories, The Forsaken, might be one of my favorite Dredd stories to date.

Anyway, does anyone know what novels directly preceded Tour of Duty? Are these still in print?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The Grauniad has a cool behind the scenes at 2000 AD video here. Wanna spend an afternoon trawling through that archive there...

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I'm reading through Mega-City Masters 3 right now, and I dare say Joe has a beautiful smile.

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!
Finished reading the last part of 'Day of Chaos'. Wow...quite an interesting read! Didn't expect that to be honest. Can't wait to read the follow-ups.

Makes me wonder what kind of stories we are gonna get now seeing how Mega-city one was devastated even worse than during the Apocalypse War (only 50 million survivors out of 400).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Case Files 21 is out this week, covering most of 1994 including the Wilderlands crossover. Highlight is the bit where Dredd slams a perp's head into an ATM while he's trying to rob it and the ATM says "Thank you for banking with MegWest. Please withdraw your head."

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

I'm currently reading Case Files 11 and have 12 lined up next. I received Amazon vouchers for my birthday and will be buying Case Files 13 and 14. I was going to buy America and read this before Case Files 14, if this is correct chronologically? I also understand that I should read Tales of The Dead Man before Case Files 15 to get the full Necropolis glory if this is accurate? I am looking forward to it and want to get it 'right'.

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

Metalshark posted:

I'm currently reading Case Files 11 and have 12 lined up next. I received Amazon vouchers for my birthday and will be buying Case Files 13 and 14. I was going to buy America and read this before Case Files 14, if this is correct chronologically? I also understand that I should read Tales of The Dead Man before Case Files 15 to get the full Necropolis glory if this is accurate? I am looking forward to it and want to get it 'right'.

You definitely should. I didn't and alot of the events in the Necropolis time-line confused me quite a bit. There is a sort of Dead Man epilogue in the Case File itself so when you see that you know you should read the seperate one first in order to get the complete story.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

I really wish I would be able to buy the burger wars somewhere.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BERGfu posted:

I really wish I would be able to buy the burger wars somewhere.

You can on ebay.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Necropolis was crazy good. Wow. I can't wait to see how it affects things afterwards.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Metalshark posted:

Necropolis was crazy good. Wow. I can't wait to see how it affects things afterwards.

The shits gonna hit the fan.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on Judge Dredd: Mega-City Two, the new series IDW is publishing. And while were at it, is any of the IDW Judge Dredd worth reading?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on Judge Dredd: Mega-City Two, the new series IDW is publishing. And while were at it, is any of the IDW Judge Dredd worth reading?

It's mostly OK, but the writer is starting to miss the point in favour of rehashing classics. MC2 might improve on this, I can't say.

Dredd: Underbelly is out this week, though, and that should be bought. It's a sequel to the Karl Urban movie and it really, really doesn't miss the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I was just about to ask if Underbelly was any good. It seems kind of like a missed point that the end result of the grassroots campaign to get a sequel out of a film that was adapted from a comic resulted in another comic to me, but what do I know?

• Locked thread