Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm also not quite sure why so many people call her a socio/psychopath. Saionji's just an rear end in a top hat. There's a pretty big leap from rear end in a top hat to psychopath, actually.

I think people are going to point out the insect killing, but that's pretty tame thing for a child to do.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cdub
Dec 30, 2012

orenronen posted:

Sure, leave it to me.

Honestly... she's always doing things at her own slow pace, but then she goes flashing that angelic smile of hers...

...How annoying.

I'm guessing something will play between these two in the next couple chapters. And considering what we've learned about Nanami's character, it could be for ill for Hinata.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

cdub posted:

I'm guessing something will play between these two in the next couple chapters. And considering what we've learned about Nanami's character, it could be for ill for Hinata.

I've might of forgotten something, so can you explain what you meant by her character?

Also, to oren and Fedule, was "angelic" actually used, or at least the Japanese word for it, or was it a deliberate choice on your part?

Antoinette
May 1, 2013

Tomn posted:

Do we actually know how old she is? Like, did she skip a couple of classes due to her super high school level ability, or is she just a midget who likes to play at being younger than she is?

Being a dancer definitely does not qualify you to skip classes, nothing academic about dancing. I'm convinced that she's a little girl as well though, it's really got me confused. Hanamura also seemed on the younger side, I mean the perverted comments were pretty juvenile, then there's the height and looks.

On the alternate side some of the students seem quite mature, though being 'Super' that is more understandable.

All in all this group of students can not all have entered Hope's Peak as freshman at the same time, if they even are all high school students...

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
hey oren please just completely literally transcribe the whole game from now on so we don't have people asking what EXACTLY was said in the original, tia

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

RefinedUndefined posted:

I've might of forgotten something, so can you explain what you meant by her character?

Also, to oren and Fedule, was "angelic" actually used, or at least the Japanese word for it, or was it a deliberate choice on your part?

"Angelic" was used to suggest a connection to the heavens -- in other words, the sky. Nanami isn't actually thinking during her long pauses, she's using the implant in her brain to phone home for orders. It's hard to hold two conversations at the same time, you see.

The final chapter is going to end with Harry Mason and the aliens coming down, blowing up Monobear, and taking all of the students to interstellar safety.

(In all seriousness, this is the most baffling translation question so far. Why would this particular descriptor matter?)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Antoinette posted:

Being a dancer definitely does not qualify you to skip classes, nothing academic about dancing. I'm convinced that she's a little girl as well though, it's really got me confused. Hanamura also seemed on the younger side, I mean the perverted comments were pretty juvenile, then there's the height and looks.

On the alternate side some of the students seem quite mature, though being 'Super' that is more understandable.

All in all this group of students can not all have entered Hope's Peak as freshman at the same time, if they even are all high school students...

The previous game had Mondo, Chihiro, and Sakura, not even including Hagakure who was already confirmed to be three years older than Naegi.

It's slightly more exaggerated in this game especially when you compare Saionji to Nidai or Peko, but I'd chalk it up to anime rather than anything age-related.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Prison Warden posted:

hey oren please just completely literally transcribe the whole game from now on so we don't have people asking what EXACTLY was said in the original, tia
I don't know, I like translation chat. I mean, it's actual content, and certainly more worthwhile than the vast majority of random bullshit that people talk about in this thread.

cdub
Dec 30, 2012

RefinedUndefined posted:

I guess I mean she's been depicted as a bit cold and emotionless toward the previous crime, and since Hinata seems to be showing a feint attraction toward her I can only imagine something bad coming from that.

But hey, speculations.

Skyla
Apr 29, 2013
Speaking of Saionji,

I find it ironic that she is considered a "SHSL" and yet she doesn't even know how to tie an obi.

It seems like it'd be a basic thing for people in her field to know.

Even Mahiru knew how to tie a basic bow, even if it was crude.

I don't think she's a sociopath/psychopath, if anything I just see her as a very insecure person who has to put on a "tough" act to make up for her own shortcomings.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Skyla posted:

Speaking of Saionji,

I find it ironic that she is considered a "SHSL" and yet she doesn't even know how to tie an obi.

It seems like it'd be a basic thing for people in her field to know.

She knows how it's done. She just can't do it herself. Ever tried to tie a knot behind your own back? It's really difficult.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Requested_Username posted:

I'm honestly surprised nobody's just flat out trolled either thread and posted all the spoilers in gigantic flaming text yet.

You'd be surprised.

cdub posted:

I guess I mean she's been depicted as a bit cold and emotionless toward the previous crime, and since Hinata seems to be showing a feint attraction toward her I can only imagine something bad coming from that.

But hey, speculations.

Kirigiri was perfectly trustworthy. :colbert:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 6, 2013

Skyla
Apr 29, 2013

eating only apples posted:

She knows how it's done. She just can't do it herself. Ever tried to tie a knot behind your own back? It's really difficult.

You can tie an obi from the front and then shift it to the back.

It's not something any reasonable person would abstain from washing for. XD

Not unless of course, they had no clue how to tie an obi in the first place.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Skyla posted:

You can tie an obi from the front and then shift it to the back.

It's pretty hard with the bigger knots. At the very least I couldn't help someone else do it, so it'd probably be hard on your own. :v:

ponyboy cronus
Apr 24, 2013
So, we're all in agreement that the ruins are Hope's Peak? Right. I wonder if the previous cast of DR ended up on this island. Maybe they're still here!!

And I don't think Sonia's going to turn out to be another murderer, honestly. At least, that's not how I would write it. So far, I think the ones to survive to the end are going to be Hinata, Nagito, Sonia, Nanami, and possibly more. Then again, I though Togami was going to survive, and...

:(

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

ponyboy cronus posted:

So, we're all in agreement that the ruins are Hope's Peak? Right. I wonder if the previous cast of DR ended up on this island. Maybe they're still here!!

I am not in agreement!
For all we know, if the island was artificially constructed by SHSL Despair or whoever else is running the show behind the scenes, those ruins could have been constructed like that specifically to mess with the students.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I was pretty sure Togami would be the first to go. Otherwise, he just steals the scene, and he inherently provides too much information. Also he promised to reveal a secret, which pretty much ensures your imminent death in these kinds of stories.

I'm interested in where our SHSL Nurse is going. We haven't seen much personality from her yet, but I'd like to think she has time to show us some depth.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ponyboy cronus posted:

And I don't think Sonia's going to turn out to be another murderer, honestly. At least, that's not how I would write it. So far, I think the ones to survive to the end are going to be Hinata, Nagito, Sonia, Nanami, and possibly more. Then again, I though Togami was going to survive, and...

:(

If we go by the previous game's idea of six survivors, maybe a 50/50 split between the guys and girls again? Not sure which guy is gonna survive though; I'd like Nidai to survive, but that's just me.

Skyla
Apr 29, 2013

Anatharon posted:

It's pretty hard with the bigger knots. At the very least I couldn't help someone else do it, so it'd probably be hard on your own. :v:

Hard, but not impossible.

Besides, A big fancy bow isn't necessary in this situation.

If the only thing she can do by herself is a small, basic bow, then she would've used the basic bow instead of stewing in her own juices and funking up the place.

Which means that Saionji couldn't tie a basic obi for herself, ORRRRRRRRR

she is just incredibly lazy and spoiled. XD

or...
>_>
<_<
>_>

It's a trap!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jynxite
May 1, 2013

Miss Kalle posted:

I am not in agreement!
For all we know, if the island was artificially constructed by SHSL Despair or whoever else is running the show behind the scenes, those ruins could have been constructed like that specifically to mess with the students.

If that's true, you'd also have to assume that Togami is in fact the Togami from the previous game, and Nagito is in fact Naegi, because literally no one else would recognize it, and they would be the only ones to get the full impact from it. However, that plan would be kind of shot to hell now seeing as how Togami is dead and Nagito is insane.
Unless, of course, you're banking on the students recognizing it from the one day -well, less really -of memories they have after arriving at the school.
Also taking this moment to say that the minigame is adorable and reminds me of Pokémon Ranger; except instead of befriending the Pokémon you circle, you make them explode into tiny little fountains of blood. :3:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Skyla posted:

If the only thing she can do by herself is a small, basic bow, then she would've used the basic bow instead of stewing in her own juices and funking up the place.

or...
>_>
<_<
>_>

It's a trap!!!

Drive slow, homie.

Anyway, I hope Gamer's way of shooing us away and the competence she's shown thus far is a hint that she's going to be this game's Kirigiri, the more level-headed useful characters we have the better the chances there are of people surviving. It seems this game's cast either references or ties to the prequel's cast quite a bit, does that mean Nidai will also duke it out DBZ style with Monobear?

edit: It's probably stupid to expect any of that, actually. The game's made a point to distance itself from the prequel in terms of twists and characters, here's hoping for more whacked out plot developments.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 7, 2013

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Skyla posted:

or...
>_>
<_<
>_>

It's a trap!!!

Um I'm just going to assume you have no clue what it's really like to tie a twenty-pound heavy, thirty-foot long slab of silk brocade around yourself, you don't just tie a big knot and call it a day. There's a reason I have to pay about $100 a pop to get it done at a beauty salon.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I'm with the guy on the last page, Mahiru or Saionji is going to die. :ohdear: He thinks Mahiru but I don't know, I think Saionji, because while Mahiru has had about the same amount of development as she had when we first met her (her weird traditionalism thing) Saionji just showed a soft side. Sudden character development makes me feel a bit anxious for her situation.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
Let me ask y'all goons about game design-- re: last update's minigame, specifically.

Do you penalize a game for optional, extra content, if it is poorly implemented?

Would you like a viking funeral, or something more low-key?

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
I think Koizumi needs some serious character development if she wants to survive, but to be honest I didn't really expect Hagekure to make it to the end of the game either, so...

I wonder if Peko and Nidai having the shits in the middle of Togami's party is going to come up again? It's one thing if only one of them really had to crap, but both of them needing to do it simultaneously is kind of weird. Maybe Nidai shared some bad protein shakes with her.

edit:

likecnsnnts posted:

Let me ask y'all goons about game design-- re: last update's minigame, specifically.

Do you penalize a game for optional, extra content, if it is poorly implemented?

Nah, I wouldn't criticize the game for it. It's a nice diversion from the murder mystery and maybe I just didn't get how terrible it was from watching, but for ten minutes at a time I think it's perfectly fine.

tentawesome fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 7, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

likecnsnnts posted:

Absolutely. A poorly made minigame is a poorly made minigame, even if it's optional. The resources spent on a bad part of a game could have been spent making a mediocre part good.

Love the avatar, BTW.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
And an especially bad "optional" sidequest or minigame can put a damper on your enjoyment of the main game. The Chrono Trigger DS release is a prime example. The "bonus" dungeon turning out to be the most unbelievably tedious backtracking exercise ever released was the most repulsive thing I've seen on a gaming console.

TheAdmiralOfCheese
Feb 27, 2007

A man's word is absolute...

likecnsnnts posted:

I'd penalize the developers, absolutely. Why include something if it is half-assed? Optional or not it is a part of the game and of the whole experience.

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013

likecnsnnts posted:

This is really one of those questions where it more than likely depends on who you ask. From a completionist's standpoint, it's frustrating to have poorly implemented optional content because you have to find a way of making the content given to you work by the means given to you (for example, you have to work with poor controller configurations, have to adapt more to the faulty UI or have to adjust timing to accommodate for poor collision detection) in order to 'complete the game to the fullest'. From a developer's standpoint, having players not play additional content intended to extend the lifespan of a game because of poorly implemented design ideas is a failure on their part, but one that can be corrected for future releases or via patching (something that's been used more recently than in past gaming years). Either of these two are likely to penalize the game because of that, because they either made it or have to play it. The more casual gamers down the line then have varying degrees between "Meh." and "It made the game poo poo." but would avoid criticizing the whole of the game based on optional content.

In respect of the minigame the question relates to, I can probably forgive the developers for that - they basically added on a minigame that relies on collision detection a lot in a game that requires very little (E: unless you consider the trial sequences to qualify for this...they kinda blew over my head for a minute there - oops), and it seems that sometimes it's not perfect. While it'd probably be penalized by some of the above, it is a venture into a new field that (I don't think) they ventured into before, so it's likely to be put down as a minor oversight of some measure there by others. They could always have done worse (e.g. taking a good minigame (Blitzball in FFX) and made it worse in a later game (namely FFX-2) for god knows what reason).

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

For this particular minigame, I think even if it did suck to play, I'd still enjoy getting a laugh at the whole premise of it. Just the fact that it exists kind of adds to Monomi's character a little. Assuming this game is a completely isolated side mode where the rewards have no effect on the main game, I think I'd be really forgiving in this case. But is that true? Does it unlock any extra content if you beat all the levels or something? If so, then I might be more annoyed that I had to play it.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

For this particular minigame, I think even if it did suck to play, I'd still enjoy getting a laugh at the whole premise of it. Just the fact that it exists kind of adds to Monomi's character a little. Assuming this game is a completely isolated side mode where the rewards have no effect on the main game, I think I'd be really forgiving in this case. But is that true? Does it unlock any extra content if you beat all the levels or something? If so, then I might be more annoyed that I had to play it.

It has no effect at all on the main game except for giving the player extra Monobear Coins to spend on gifts. You get more than enough just by finishing trials, though.

For completionists, the game has an internal achievement system (the Monomi Flower banners we've seen here and there), and you get some of them by playing the mini game.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I'm thinking Monomi is Kirakira.

I watched that video, and she's fuckin' brutal, man. How does anyone but a complete maniac squeeze that much blood out of happy cute abstract shapes?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, provided the main game is fun enough, I suppose I wouldn't mind especially bad mini-games, though it might lessen my enjoyment overall.

For example, I found Final Fantasy X to be pretty fun even though I hated all of the mini-games (aside from Blitzball, which I had to come around to eventually). In contrast, Final Fantasy IX is one of my favorite games ever and had a rather addicting Chocobo mini-game that would reward you with all kinds of great equipment and such.

I agree with the person who posted a while back, though. Chrono Trigger DS sucked in that regard.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Lance Streetman posted:

Absolutely. A poorly made minigame is a poorly made minigame, even if it's optional. The resources spent on a bad part of a game could have been spent making a mediocre part good.

Love the avatar, BTW.

It's not really poorly made, to be fair. I thought it was pretty fun even though the game isn't clear if you can jump on stuff as Usami or not. (I've never managed it.)

There was a little slowdown when you were circling big groups of enemies which was annoying, but it was a fun diversion and I don't know why Orenonen hated it so much. :iiam:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 7, 2013

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Anatharon posted:

It's not really poorly made, to be fair. I thought it was pretty fun even though the game isn't clear if you can jump on stuff as Usami or not. (I've never managed it.)

There was a little slowdown when you were circling big groups of enemies which was annoying, but it was a fun diversion and I don't know why Orenonen hated it so much. :iiam:

Did you not see how bad the hit detection was for those jumps? Those jumping mechanics are a travesty and it's a greater travesty that you have to jump on the end bosses several times to clear the levels.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Did you not see how bad the hit detection was for those jumps? Those jumping mechanics are a travesty and it's a greater travesty that you have to jump on the end bosses several times to clear the levels.

You don't need to jump on the bosses to beat them.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Jynxite posted:

If that's true, you'd also have to assume that Togami is in fact the Togami from the previous game, and Nagito is in fact Naegi, because literally no one else would recognize it, and they would be the only ones to get the full impact from it. However, that plan would be kind of shot to hell now seeing as how Togami is dead and Nagito is insane.
Unless, of course, you're banking on the students recognizing it from the one day -well, less really -of memories they have after arriving at the school.

It's the exterior of a famous building in the middle of a big city. All of the current students could have (and probably did) see the outside of Hope's Peak lots of times before they started attending school there.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Anatharon posted:

If they weren't going to spend much time designing the game (they clearly didn't), they should have gone in the opposite direction. Rather than having it be frustratingly difficult to jump on enemies, they should have made it stupid easy. It's a lot easier to accept the game design in a random side game if it's too easy rather than too difficult.

Antoinette
May 1, 2013

Miss Kalle posted:

I am not in agreement!

I had been pretty convinced that the Hope's Peak ruins were genuine, but now that it's brought up again along with the concept you propose I'm wondering if maybe the building is faked to help be a motive for the mutual killing. It could really increase their desperation for answers.

It will all depend on what happens though. Will they recognize the building? (They should but you never know.) Will they be able to go inside? What will it look like in there if they can? Heck, maybe most of them will just write it off as some old ruins and never ask further, and Nanami will keep the information discovered between herself and Hinata until it becomes useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It is a pretty bad minigame. I got bored with it before I even reached the first boss. Great premise, sure, but terrible implementation.

• Locked thread