Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Nice saturn haul! One of these days I need to pick a saturn up.

Although currently I have downgraded to a nice Component/Svideo small TV by my computer which I use to play my Wii and SNES and nothing else :saddowns: Swapping cables is a pain in the rear end with this setup, boooo.

I need a room for my retrogaming :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I think space is always a problem with collectors. I have nowhere to put my new N64 and nowhere really for additional shelving so I'm considering unplugging a system :saddowns:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

TealShark posted:

Oh crap, I forgot to order one! Are there any reputable sellers that still have any in stock or am I piss out of luck?

Your best bet is to keep an eye on Real Hot Stuff, either their US or Hong Kong site. I was lucky enough to order mine when they got in a restock but they're going to be harder and harder to come by now that they're no longer manufactured.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

I took PTO today and figured I'd play with MSU-1 FF6

... only to find I neglected to backup my work before I had done a format to downgrade my windows pc to windows 7 :saddowns:

Truly Windows 8's greatest crime. Can I help in some way?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Mail call!

Just a tiny haul from iastudent's spring cleaning list and a recent Ebay purchase. Battle of Olympus caught my eye because it looks like somebody wanted to recreate Legend of Zelda 2. Low G Man is a childhood favorite that was relatively cheap CIB on Ebay. This one came with the manual and all of the inserts crisp and neatly folded (likely never unfolded, from the looks of it) in the original plastic sheath. I feel slightly dumb since I already have a cartridge, but it's at my folks' house several hours away so, eh, worth it to have a complete copy on hand.

But I don't have any time to play anything today. :doh:

Edit: Okay, so I spent 5 minutes playing Low G Man even though I should be doing other things. Sue me. :colbert:

And though the box has some wear everything inside is completely mint. Including an accidentally shipped Ninja Gaiden 2 manual. Should I bother contacting the seller on this or is it worth the hassle?

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 6, 2013

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Sorry to advertise but for a few weeks I'm doing a podcast devoted to old game/demo music and me talking poo poo about the game industry.

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
I was a little annoyed at the 2GB limit on the EZ Flash IV too..until I realized there are maybe 20-30 games at most I'd want to play on the GBA, including some of the SNES ports.

I think the GBA had the most bloat and shovelware in it's library of any nintendo cartridge based console.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Quiet Feet posted:

Battle of Olympus caught my eye because it looks like somebody wanted to recreate Legend of Zelda 2.

It's funny how some series can evolve. In a normal world, Battle of Olympus is how a zelda 3 would have turned out. Zelda had the same dynamic as Super Mario. Super Mario 2 went off track, then for the 3rd went back to the first Super mario's style.
So is there a game that's Super Mario 3ish in the way that Battle of Olympus is Zelda 3ish? Does that question make sense?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

StellarX posted:

I was a little annoyed at the 2GB limit on the EZ Flash IV too..until I realized there are maybe 20-30 games at most I'd want to play on the GBA, including some of the SNES ports.

I think the GBA had the most bloat and shovelware in it's library of any nintendo cartridge based console.

Ehhhhh, I would argue against this but Nintendo's portable consoles have always been home to a ton of crap. I will argue that regular gameboy had the worst good-to-bad game ratio. There's some classics but there's a looot of poo poo and I'm not just talking about "good but aged poorly" games.

I feel GBA may exceed the DS in terms of good game quantity but I'm a little biased because the last good 2D Metroid games (yeah, I went ahead with the plural) were on GBA.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Bad photography aside, some goodies from iastudent's spring cleaning:

Sword of Hope 1&2
Wade Hixton's Counter Punch

al-azad
May 28, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

It's funny how some series can evolve. In a normal world, Battle of Olympus is how a zelda 3 would have turned out. Zelda had the same dynamic as Super Mario. Super Mario 2 went off track, then for the 3rd went back to the first Super mario's style.
So is there a game that's Super Mario 3ish in the way that Battle of Olympus is Zelda 3ish? Does that question make sense?

^^^Well the real Mario 2 was a lazy rom-hack quality release so Mario 3 was a bigger leap in the series in that respect. Personally I think Faxanadu is "Zelda 2 done right."

It's strange, there's really no platformer quite like Mario. Everything about Mario's physics is completely unique. In a RGM article, the developers of The Addams Family were talking about taking inspiration from Mario and how much people they knew hated the control scheme. Ironically Mario's control scheme is its defining quality while The Addams Family on SNES was a slippery piece of poo poo.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Vegastar posted:

Another Michigoon, or just coincidence? If so, that makes 3 of us here in the retro game thread, which is pretty cool.

And you're absolutely right, duck tales 2 doesn't have that marking at all. Even if the backplate piece is permanently marked, its not rocket science to switch it and trick someone. -sigh-

Like I said, I won't be shopping with him again. It's borderline to sell repros of retail games in the first place, but its be okay if was just a 20 dollar flat cost for a repro thats well labeled and priced to reflect time, money and profit in a reasonable manner. This is downright scummy.

On a better note, I found a copy of Super Metroid just an hour ago at a yard sale. The guy was clearly a collector, but priced decently below eBay value. Paid 20 bucks, and I am happy.

Michigoon here! I just discovered a Retro game shop in Shelby Township, so I'm checking that out this week hopefully :3:

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Ambitious Spider posted:

Bad photography aside, some goodies from iastudent's spring cleaning:

Sword of Hope 1&2
Wade Hixton's Counter Punch

Congrats on getting a copy of Wade Hixton! That's a great game, it's the Punch-Out!! clone nobody knows about. It's top quality.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I got the good news that my car wasn't dying today, and spent a little of the "just in case" money to go retro game hunting. Also, the mail came. End result?

Ended up spending around 40 bucks for all the games, which I'm pretty okay with.

Also, my GB Boy Colour came from fatpat! Woo! Here's what I've learned.

There is no way to transplant this in to a GBC shell without extensive modification work.

The dpad and rubber connectors will fit perfectly, though. Replacing that lovely dpad is as easy as gutting a broken GBC. The other buttons will not fit.

The top two screws holding the unit together are SNES cart sized gamebits.

The aspect ratio is slightly screwed up, but not a deal breaker.

This thing is totally loving awesome.

Later taters, I'm going to buttslam some pirates.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

DeathBySpoon posted:

I still can't believe I'm playing an actual cart of Mother 3 on my GBA. It's beautiful :qq:

Oh... that reminds me:

I finally got a translation on a normal sized cart with a decent quality label. If anyone remembers my last attempt at the label, they'll know how awful it looked. Since then, I've upgraded in the printing, cutting, and materials department of label printing. Hah.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Vegastar posted:

The dpad and rubber connectors will fit perfectly, though. Replacing that lovely dpad is as easy as gutting a broken GBC. The other buttons will not fit.

Really, does it actually feel like a normal nintendo dpad then... as in not being able to press in all four directions?

I tried replacing it once (although not with the rubber), but I used one of those colored replacement dpads that you can buy at kitschbent. They're a little squarer than a standard gbc dpad, so it didn't really feel right. At any rate, I have a gbc with a nonworking screen, that'll I'll cannibalize for just the dpad, haha.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

fatpat268 posted:

Oh... that reminds me:

I finally got a translation on a normal sized cart with a decent quality label. If anyone remembers my last attempt at the label, they'll know how awful it looked. Since then, I've upgraded in the printing, cutting, and materials department of label printing. Hah.

Where did you get the translation on a normal cart?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

fatpat268 posted:

Oh... that reminds me:

So how much would it be to get a repro of this for myself?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

fatpat268 posted:

Really, does it actually feel like a normal nintendo dpad then... as in not being able to press in all four directions?

I tried replacing it once (although not with the rubber), but I used one of those colored replacement dpads that you can buy at kitschbent. They're a little squarer than a standard gbc dpad, so it didn't really feel right. At any rate, I have a gbc with a nonworking screen, that'll I'll cannibalize for just the dpad, haha.

I do not seem to be able to push all 4 directions at once. I'm not sure what would happen if I did, but I've had zero issues controlling anything since I switched em with a donor pad.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Vegastar posted:

I got the good news that my car wasn't dying today, and spent a little of the "just in case" money to go retro game hunting. Also, the mail came. End result?

End result? #yololo.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
So many Super Metroids showing up in this thread lately. Still have yet to ever play it myself...anyone want my lovely Game Boy carts for one? :v:

Maybe I'll go play Other M, obviously that should be just as good right??

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Light Gun Man posted:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

So many Super Metroids showing up in this thread lately. Still have yet to ever play it myself...anyone want my lovely Game Boy carts for one? :v:

In two weeks Nintendo will sell you a copy of Super Metroid for 30 cents if you have a Wii U.

Player Other M to tide you over. :devil:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

That Wii U copy is going to save me from the wrath of my friend who has been bitching at me to play Super Metroid for half a decade. It's one of his favorite games ever and I value his advice but the game costs over 30€ cartridge only, 60€+ boxed (and I only collect cib). Not even a new game is worth that much so I'll gladly take that deal; I just couldn't justify that much on an old game.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

bpc908 posted:

Where did you get the translation on a normal cart?

I used the ez flash 3 in 1 that I bought from Install Gentoo in this thread. If you have a ds lite, you can flash any gba game to the nor memory, and it'll automatically boot to that game in any gba or gb player.

The only problem is, is that the normal gba sized 3 in 1 is hard to find, and you can only easily buy the ds lite sized one... and it's not a trivial task to get it to fit in a gba case.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If anyone still needs an EZ-Flash IV, I've got a brand new one I can let go.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 7, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So with the Everdrive 64 out of stock I was looking around and came across the ED64 Plus. This is a chinese clone that comes with 1.28. Upon looking into it 1.29 works on it, who knows if future os updates will BUUUUT you can get one w/ 5-10 day shipping for under $60 which is superb compared for the cost.

http://www.nesworld.com/n64-everdrive64plus.php review
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-shipping-ED64PLUS-ED64plus-Game-Save-Device/400495_684561967.html + coupon code "registernewbuyer5"

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Random Stranger posted:

Player Other M to tide you over. :devil:

Confession time: gently caress that game.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I liked Other M. I actually don't care for the Prime games. :negative:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Katana Gomai posted:

That Wii U copy is going to save me from the wrath of my friend who has been bitching at me to play Super Metroid for half a decade. It's one of his favorite games ever and I value his advice but the game costs over 30€ cartridge only, 60€+ boxed (and I only collect cib). Not even a new game is worth that much so I'll gladly take that deal; I just couldn't justify that much on an old game.

This is more or less where I am at too. Only I don't have a WiiU either, so welp.

Should get back to selling off all my fluff games I don't give a poo poo about and buy a flashcart already but :effort:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Confession time: gently caress that game.

The least controversial confession time in history

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Pffft this guy is selling Super Mario Bros 2J claiming it's a rare game, when it's just the repro from RetroUSB
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mario...=item257cc2bf24

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

In fairness I THINK RetroUSB said they weren't going to make that specific game anymore.

In non-fairness their $250 asking price is about what it would cost for a BOXED Famicom AV and BOXED Famicom Disk System and BOXED copy of SMB2j in all its authentic floppy glory.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

This will actually be my first time attempting to beat Super Metroid. I learned about bomb jumps and sequence breaking halfway through my virtual console play through and never made it halfway through the game. Just kept seeing what would happen if I bomb jumped up here.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Katana Gomai posted:

I only played Super Metroid for the first time when it hit the Wii Virtual Console, and (with a little control remapping, especially necessary on a Gamecube controller) it was loving amazing. One of the true classics that absolutely still holds up.

Chrono Trigger was another stone-cold classic I came to late, finally playing it on the DS. Both games deserve their reputations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

bpc908 posted:

Pffft this guy is selling Super Mario Bros 2J claiming it's a rare game, when it's just the repro from RetroUSB
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mario...=item257cc2bf24

It's still a rare game and goes for quite a lot. That particular ROM hasn't even been dumped yet. You could make bucks off a reproduction of that reproduction. I'm surprised no one picked up the torch and started printing more of that sweet sweet Pirate Booty.

E: I think it was the Mario VS that was a different ROM?

Stoomie
Sep 16, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

If anyone still needs an EZ-Flash IV, I've got a brand new one I can let go.

I'm super interested in this, I feel like I'm scrambling to find one before I can't anymore, but I'm completely tapped out at the moment until I sell off some of the miscellanies I have laying around. I don't supposed you're interested in Tales of Vesperia for 360, black wireless 360 controller or two, or an RGB moddable N64 deck and/or Expansion Pak? Edit: Oh, I've also got a loose cart of FF Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift to get rid of.

Edit2: On an unrelated note, I finally took a picture of the odd NES controller I picked up as part of a lot:

It's not branded anywhere that I can tell, inside or out, and I could only find a few random images of it on some geocities looking websites that weren't sure what it was sold as.

Stoomie fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 7, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I liked Other M. I actually don't care for the Prime games. :negative:

:frogout:

What is even wrong with you.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

kirbysuperstar posted:

:frogout:

What is even wrong with you.

I don't think Metroid works as a FPS (or FPA, whatever they call it ) and Other M was the closest thing to a side scroller since the GBA games. I really miss sidescrolling Metroid... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Stoomie posted:

I'm super interested in this

Sorry. Could only take cash for it.

• Locked thread