Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

greazeball posted:

Sorry, I really wasn't clear. I'd like to check if websites are dangerous for Windows users from my ubuntu machine.

How about a VM with Windows XP? It's a common, vulnerable OS and should be able to alert you to dangers better than any plugin, by alert I mean silently destroy the OS/VM until your run a virus scan. :rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit as a dual boot with Windows 8, however each time I try the install gets stuck at the "Where Are You?" screen. If I attempt to hit continue on that, the next screen never shows and the progress bar disappears after a certain time.

I have a 300GB Windows 8 partition, a 100MB System Reserved partition, and am creating a 250GB partition for Ubuntu and 2GB for swap.

Why is it getting stuck? I just let it run for 40 minutes with no change.

I am a bit new to Ubuntu, but I have experimented with it and had it running fine in the past.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Zedicus Mann posted:

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit as a dual boot with Windows 8, however each time I try the install gets stuck at the "Where Are You?" screen. If I attempt to hit continue on that, the next screen never shows and the progress bar disappears after a certain time.

I have a 300GB Windows 8 partition, a 100MB System Reserved partition, and am creating a 250GB partition for Ubuntu and 2GB for swap.

I am a bit new to Ubuntu, but I have experimented with it and had it running fine in the past.

a cusory Google search suggests checking the md5 sum (to make sure the download / burn didn't corrupt the files) also disconnecting from the network while installing

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

The Merkinman posted:

a cusory Google search suggests checking the md5 sum (to make sure the download / burn didn't corrupt the files) also disconnecting from the network while installing

I did do a disc check before installing today and all files on the CD passed, so I'll try unplugging my ethernet.

I don't know if it changes anything, but I am using the Ext4 Journaling Filesystem

Edit:

Disconnecting from the network did nothing.

Zedicus Mann fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 23, 2013

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Zedicus Mann posted:

So for clarification the "Where are you?" screen happens after the install has started, and in principle you can fill it out any time up to and including after the system reboots. So it's not a problem with that particular screen so much as it is the installer itself that's going on in the background (the progress bar on the bottom).

If you left it going long enough, did you try just booting without the install disk and see if the install actually completed?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Worst case scenario: Do the minimal install to get a command line then tasksel download Ubuntu. If that hangs on you, you could reboot, pick Expert Install then choose not to install any packages, finish the installer, then type "sudo tasksel" once you get back to the CLI and go from there.

Pro: You can select the packages you want rather than a more bloated OS. Also, you won't have to apt-update/upgrade. Also, you could opt to try out one of the other *buntus like Kubuntu.
Con: Redownloading.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I would probably try just downloading 12.04.2 first and then upgrading (or even not upgrading) to 12.10

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Zedicus Mann posted:

I did do a disc check before installing today and all files on the CD passed, so I'll try unplugging my ethernet.

I don't know if it changes anything, but I am using the Ext4 Journaling Filesystem

Edit:

Disconnecting from the network did nothing.

I had a similar issue with my thinkpad x120e. I had to revert back to bios instead of elf. The other option is try installing through an alternate cd.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Running 12.10 32bit on my HP DM1 Netbook.
Plugged into AC power the wireless seems to work flawlessly.

On Battery it seems to be flaky as hell, with pings, unstable downloads, and disconnects. Any ideas?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Running Xubuntu 12.10, and I want to find a good solitaire game.

Requirements:
Draw one/draw three options
Options for vegas or standard scoring
Auto complete that can either be disabled, or only used at end of game (<-- disqualifies pengiun solitaire)
Graphics from this decade (ie better than x solitaire.)

Aisle Riot is almost perfect, but I would really like an option for an auto complete at the end, and sometimes I don't want vegas scoring. I'm also interested in freecell, spider solitaire (preferably with 1,2,3,4 deck options), and maybe even a black jack game. What should I try?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Colonel Sanders posted:

Aisle Riot is almost perfect, but I would really like an option for an auto complete at the end, and sometimes I don't want vegas scoring. I'm also interested in freecell, spider solitaire (preferably with 1,2,3,4 deck options), and maybe even a black jack game. What should I try?

In AisleRiot you can middle-click the suit stacks to auto complete.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

In AisleRiot you can middle-click the suit stacks to auto complete.

I don't think I would have ever discovered that feature otherwise, thanks! However, that leads me to another problem, I don't believe it is possible for me to middle click on my netbook, it's an Eee PC 1001P with a synaptic touch pad. At the current time, I believe I need to install some more packages or *gasp* manually edit a huge config file to get middle clicking of some kind. Also, if I solve that problem, AisleRiot still won't let me choose to not have vegas scoring where it only lets me flip through the deck twice.

I tried Klondike it's pretty good, but the auto complete is a little overzealous at times, and I am developing a habit of looking down in the corner to see if my game is still winnable or if I need to start mashing undo. . . And the themes are kinda ugly.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Colonel Sanders posted:

I don't think I would have ever discovered that feature otherwise, thanks! However, that leads me to another problem, I don't believe it is possible for me to middle click on my netbook, it's an Eee PC 1001P with a synaptic touch pad. At the current time, I believe I need to install some more packages or *gasp* manually edit a huge config file to get middle clicking of some kind. Also, if I solve that problem, AisleRiot still won't let me choose to not have vegas scoring where it only lets me flip through the deck twice.

I tried Klondike it's pretty good, but the auto complete is a little overzealous at times, and I am developing a habit of looking down in the corner to see if my game is still winnable or if I need to start mashing undo. . . And the themes are kinda ugly.
If it's the model that's got clicky buttons, I believe simultaneous left + right click can equal a middle click. This was the default at some point, but I'd been suggesting for years we undefault it since it fucks up certain video games, so you may have to dig around mouse settings to turn it back on (or even the keyboard shortcuts page)

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I cannot find an appropriate megathread for this question, and I figure Linux users are probably the better group to ask about this - I am looking for a free email provider that does not require SSL for POP3 access. I don't care about SMTP - basically, I inherited a ballin' printer that can look at an email account and print whatever it gets sent, but it doesn't speak SSL (it's a few versions old). I don't care about SENDING mail, just receiving it. :( Help? Edit: Nevermind, a buddy told me about the wonderful world of stunnel. sorted!

PopeCrunch fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 8, 2013

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

So I know I might not get far with Skype being propriety and all, and Unity is known for having some issues for 12.04... But I may as well ask! If I go to my main Skype menu (with contacts, etc), start a chat and close the menu, I can still (from Unity) access my chats but not the actual menu, so I have to close out of whoever I'm talking to, THEN open it back up, THEN open my chats up...

I know one solution is to just keep the menu minimized but I tend to get a bit OCD on my desktop and if I'm not using something it'll bug me if it's still up. Anyone know if there is a plugin or something to help me with this? I have Skype downloaded off their site and not from the repositories (if it's even available there) if that helps. I believe it's the latest version, 4 something.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Green Puddin posted:

So I know I might not get far with Skype being propriety and all, and Unity is known for having some issues for 12.04... But I may as well ask! If I go to my main Skype menu (with contacts, etc), start a chat and close the menu, I can still (from Unity) access my chats but not the actual menu, so I have to close out of whoever I'm talking to, THEN open it back up, THEN open my chats up...

I know one solution is to just keep the menu minimized but I tend to get a bit OCD on my desktop and if I'm not using something it'll bug me if it's still up. Anyone know if there is a plugin or something to help me with this? I have Skype downloaded off their site and not from the repositories (if it's even available there) if that helps. I believe it's the latest version, 4 something.

Skype should keep an icon in the top right corner of the screen while it is running (at least the version in the repos does). Click on that, and click on "Activate" to bring up the main window with your contacts list.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Can you not resize the launcher icons in 2D mode?

Obviously Erratic
Oct 17, 2008

Give me beauty or give me death!

Laranzu posted:

Running 12.10 32bit on my HP DM1 Netbook.
Plugged into AC power the wireless seems to work flawlessly.

On Battery it seems to be flaky as hell, with pings, unstable downloads, and disconnects. Any ideas?

Have you tried turning off the WiFi power management?
code:
sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

syzygy86 posted:

Skype should keep an icon in the top right corner of the screen while it is running (at least the version in the repos does). Click on that, and click on "Activate" to bring up the main window with your contacts list.

Oh man, that's a life saver. Found some instructions to install Skype from the repository and now I can have windows closed and open as I need them. Thanks!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I updated to Pangolin from whatever the last Ubuntu LTS was and I want to stab someone. Most of the new interface annoys me, but the biggest problem is screen tearing in video. I've tried every tweak I can think of, including Vsync in Nvidia-settings and whatever that compiz tweak program is. Everything LOOKS like it's set right but the problem persists. I've never encountered this issue before in the many, many years I've had a linux HTPC and it's making me crazy. For specifics, I'm using mplayer2 or mplayer with local files that used to play fine. It's on an older Atom board with VDPAU handling HD decoding. The problem happens on HDMI and VGA.

Edit: disabling compositing in the xorg.conf "fixed" it. I don't care about the desktop effects so it's good enough for me!

powderific fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 20, 2013

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
So I'm running a headless machine on 10.11 for God knows what reason. I would like to upgrade my distro to 12.04 so I can take advantage of LTS. What is the best way to go about doing this upgrade? If I just install from a live CD will that seriously break anything? Would it be easier to install to a fresh HDD, then setup my fstab to point to the old HDD for data?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Modern Pragmatist posted:

So I'm running a headless machine on 10.11 for God knows what reason. I would like to upgrade my distro to 12.04 so I can take advantage of LTS. What is the best way to go about doing this upgrade? If I just install from a live CD will that seriously break anything? Would it be easier to install to a fresh HDD, then setup my fstab to point to the old HDD for data?
If you mean 10.10, you need to upgrade one step at a time to do an in place upgrade (ie 10.10 -> 11.04 -> 11.10 -> 12.04)

If you do have a fresh HD, it's often much simpler to just copy your home directory (and only your home directory) somewhere, wipe the disk, install fresh, and then copy your home folder back.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 about four weeks ago. At first the Nvidia drivers were working fine, and then I started getting screen freezes about every 15 minutes requiring a hard restart. That eventually lead to the pc restarting and freezing to a black screen after the grep menu. After that I reinstalled 12.04, but I couldn't get the nvidia drivers to function again. I reinstalled them, but when I restart the computer after loading Ubuntu from grep the screen went black. For some reason the fans would wind up to maximum speed and just hang like that indefinitely.

I have a 9600 GT card that is supported by the drivers. I've done just about everything I can imagine to get it working with no luck. It worked with bumblebee, but I didn't seem to be getting the performance I expected from my graphics card. So after that I tried the nvidia drivers again. I finally got it to the point where they worked but only with one resolution (800x600) available. I looked around for some solutions to the problem without much luck, so I've finally just settled on using the nouveau drivers. They work, but I'm getting weird 3D graphics issues such as shading on games appearing white when it should be dark or black. So my question is does anyone have any suggestions on where to start to fix some of these problems or get the nvidia drivers working? I've fully backed up my files on a spare hard drive, so I don't mind doing a full reinstall. I'd just like to see if I can figure out what the problem was before I start changing drivers around again.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

downout posted:

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 about four weeks ago. At first the Nvidia drivers were working fine, and then I started getting screen freezes about every 15 minutes requiring a hard restart. That eventually lead to the pc restarting and freezing to a black screen after the grep menu. After that I reinstalled 12.04, but I couldn't get the nvidia drivers to function again. I reinstalled them, but when I restart the computer after loading Ubuntu from grep the screen went black. For some reason the fans would wind up to maximum speed and just hang like that indefinitely.

I have a 9600 GT card that is supported by the drivers. I've done just about everything I can imagine to get it working with no luck. It worked with bumblebee, but I didn't seem to be getting the performance I expected from my graphics card. So after that I tried the nvidia drivers again. I finally got it to the point where they worked but only with one resolution (800x600) available. I looked around for some solutions to the problem without much luck, so I've finally just settled on using the nouveau drivers. They work, but I'm getting weird 3D graphics issues such as shading on games appearing white when it should be dark or black. So my question is does anyone have any suggestions on where to start to fix some of these problems or get the nvidia drivers working? I've fully backed up my files on a spare hard drive, so I don't mind doing a full reinstall. I'd just like to see if I can figure out what the problem was before I start changing drivers around again.

Your issues sound a lot like a failing GPU.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AlexDeGruven posted:

I've had similar issues with overheating graphics cards, first due to a dead fan and second because of bad thermal compound application.

Certain versions of the video drivers either weren't kicking on features or using safer versions of other settings, which explained why some distros worked and some wouldn't. That's my theory anyway.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 21, 2013

downout
Jul 6, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah, this is a really old card, so I was considering this. Does anyone know of a way to test if it's failing? I considered Phoronix but wasn't sure if it would tell me anything useful.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

downout posted:

Yeah, this is a really old card, so I was considering this. Does anyone know of a way to test if it's failing? I considered Phoronix but wasn't sure if it would tell me anything useful.

You could load up a Win7 trial with the official nVidia drivers and see if you get similar behavior.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

AlexDeGruven posted:

You could load up a Win7 trial with the official nVidia drivers and see if you get similar behavior.
Depending on how much you value your time, it might be more efficient to just buy a new video card. Looks like you probably need one anyway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What's the answer/accept rate on AskUbuntu compared to other StackExchange sites? 100:1?

I've answered like 15 questions lately with not single fucker accepting them. gently caress you, user203002321!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ars has a pretty neat slideshow up that shows screenshots from the various 'buntus

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/04/the-flavors-of-ubuntu-from-a-to-z-or-at-least-from-kubuntu-to-xubuntu/

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Wow, upgraded to 13.04 and for once it actually went along without a hitch*

*well Skype is broken but I found out to fix that quickly enough

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Did Canonical even change the graphics at all? First time the update looks exactly the same apart from the Unity start button.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

The Merkinman posted:

Wow, upgraded to 13.04 and for once it actually went along without a hitch*

*well Skype is broken but I found out to fix that quickly enough

Most of my upgrades have gone without a hitch. Granted, I only use ubuntu on my old, tired netbook, which doesn't have much installed.

I have booted it a few of times these last couple of days trying to see if it would offer the upgrade to me, but it hasn't so far.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

Wheany posted:

I have booted it a few of times these last couple of days trying to see if it would offer the upgrade to me, but it hasn't so far.

My server wasn't showing an upgrade available either, but do-release-upgrade after an apt-get update worked fine.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Sigh spoke too soon. Turn on my computer today and it won't boot. Gives me a bunch of terminal poo poo which I have no idea what to do with since I'm not some neckbeard. Yay linux once again like every six months you show how much of a piece of poo poo you are!

Ran recovery modes and then it's fine now?

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 28, 2013

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Installed 13.04 after not having used linux for a while. Tested a Python program I've been working on in Windows, getting a permission error when the program tries to download/save a file. I'm saving it to a subdirectory of home - I should have access to that, right? I tried SUDO - the GUI looked like a windows 95 app instead of Ubuntu, and I couldn't find where the files saved, despite it working without the permission error. Other than this, the program seemed to work fine on Ubuntu. (Although installing QT was painful)

Is there a trick to get HDMI audio working? IIRC, in an older version, you could select 'advanced devices' in the audio setting to show HDMI out, but 'advanced devices' is no longer there.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 5, 2013

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I have a fun general question that isn't about fixing anything!

Compiz apparently has a bug where live window resizing hogs the CPU and makes responsive web design pretty much impossible, so I'm looking at options. I believe I can just replace the buggy unity/compiz altogether, which means I'm in the market for a new window manager. Oh the possibilities!

What's slick? What's good? What will I swear by and refuse to use anything besides well after its no longer supported?

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 6, 2013

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

Sigh spoke too soon. Turn on my computer today and it won't boot. Gives me a bunch of terminal poo poo which I have no idea what to do with since I'm not some neckbeard. Yay linux once again like every six months you show how much of a piece of poo poo you are!

Ran recovery modes and then it's fine now?

spoke too soon, seems to sometimes happen on a cold boot. I think it may be this bug, how do I get an actual crash log so as to help with said bug?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I got that today. After rebooting, it loaded Grub, but froze, then gave me a display settings error. Rebooted again and all was well. I fixed the HDMI audio but I posted about by installing DKMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I have a dumb problem but maybe someone here can help.

I'm trying to get a wordle as a pdf by using the print to pdf trick. But the "print" button in the wordle java applet doesn't do anything. No errors, just totally unresponsive. Is there some way I can allow the applet to access the virtual printer? I'm running Ubuntu 12.04

• Locked thread