Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tried to replace a headlight bulb.

Couldn't figure out how the gently caress to get to the bulb. Opened the manual. Turns out you just remove two pins and the entire headlamp assembly falls out. :stare:

Turns out it's really that easy. Until you crack open the package for the new headlamp bulb and discover the glass is just kind of wiggling on top of the wires. It's a very obvious manufacturing defect, it's very obvious the glass was never sealed.. :sigh:

I'm impressed by how the headlamp assembly comes out, at least. Going to exchange the bulb tomorrow, either before work or during my lunch break. Original bulbs from 2005, I'm impressed they lasted this long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, I was surprised the first time I had to put bulbs in a Saturn. One of the few things GM ever did right imo.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Dealt with a sudden deluge of emails and texts about my truck for sale. The last wave of refund checks must be coming.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Pretty sure I have to pull the entire loving bumper to change mine.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Yesterday I used JB weld on the radiator cap for the Niva. The cap rusted out in a ring where it has an indent. There's one en route to me currently but it'll probably be a couple of weeks. The coolant getting everywhere was bugging me. I also tested the heater this morning. Seems to work but I suspect the thermostat does not. Hard to say but its warm up seems to be a bit too long and linear. Shame replacement T'stats are about $50 because they are a special assembly sort of thing with hose connectors on it. I guess it's not much different to what I paid for a normal "universal" thermostat for the Subaru motor in the VW.
Its lovely idle is pissing me off. I might have to adjust it sooner rather than later.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Re: Speeding tickets

You guys down under have it easy. Here in the US 104 anywhere will likely get you arrested. In Virginia going over 80mph (even if the speed limit was 75) is considered reckless operation and carries a potential 1 year jail sentence. 20mph over posted speed limit is the same story, so 104 would probably gently caress you up pretty drat good.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

Re: Speeding tickets

You guys down under have it easy. Here in the US 104 anywhere will likely get you arrested. In Virginia going over 80mph (even if the speed limit was 75) is considered reckless operation and carries a potential 1 year jail sentence. 20mph over posted speed limit is the same story, so 104 would probably gently caress you up pretty drat good.

You do realise that the 104 was km/h right? And yes 20km/h is still very bad but it's not in MPH. You can get a nasty slap on the wrist for 5km/h over including a... um $250 or something fine and demerit points.

Speed kills

Bank accounts.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

General_Failure posted:

You do realise that the 104 was km/h right? And yes 20km/h is still very bad but it's not in MPH. You can get a nasty slap on the wrist for 5km/h over including a... um $250 or something fine and demerit points.

Speed kills

Bank accounts.

drat I'm off today. I was making some stupid SQL mistakes earlier too.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Got the dash back in for the most part. Just some details to finish.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

EvilBeard posted:

Got the dash back in for the most part. Just some details to finish.

That dash looks great. Hard to believe it was cracked to hell.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's rather shiny, won't that cause a lot of glare?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Formula Student chassis got welded together enough yesterday that we could break it out of its jig:

It's still missing some tubes from the floor and cockpit sides, plus a lot of welding still to do, but it's good to have some tangible progress after so long. :)

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
On the Niva, fiddled the idle speed and mix to little effect. Checked the compression. Discovered that the EGR valve works but am unsure of the rest of the EGR system. Checked the manifold vacuum and concluded it was good, and in the process discovered what I thought was a vacuum hose was actually a coolant hose. Fun thing to do on a warm motor. Oops! Also paid for the replacement steering wheel.

e: just followed another hunch and took the top of the air cleaner off. Even with the choke knob fully in the choke butterfly was still at about 20*. I sorted it but haven't started it. not sure if that will make a difference to idle at all, but it would have disabled the little vacuum kerjigger which seems to be able to affect the choke butterfly to a degree.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 4, 2013

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN
Today i didnt stop long enough to talk myself out of it and jumped into lowering my 82 Lebaron. It needed it worse than any other car ive owned in recent memory.

Stock nose-up stance. Hideous.

Something i actually originated in the k-car crowd: 1g neon struts. Instant massive drop. I'll reserve the nuts and bolts of it for people who care enough to ask.

Before

After

Front and rear lowered, with the wheels/tires im using stood up next to it (not polished yet and center caps off). I cant put them on yet because the car is 4x100 and the wheels/tires are 5x100. The 4x100 stuff is coming off the Lebaron and going on my Neon. The 5x100 stuff going on the lebaron is the fronts off my 90 Dynasty (which i upgraded to bigger brakes), and the rear 5x100 disc setup is from an 89 turbo daytona i parted out.

Hammers
Feb 13, 2012

psssSSSSSSHHHHHHH TOOTOOTootootoo

:smith:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

WTF happened? Did somebody break in or did you hit something?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm thinking hit something hard enough to fold the mirror back and break the window.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

I'm thinking hit something hard enough to fold the mirror back and break the window.

Note intact glass in picture one. Looks like it got both sides of the car so I'm going with... vandalism?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm going to get endless amounts of poo poo for admitting this, but... I forgot where I parked the drat thing. I don't mean where in the parking lot... I mean I forgot what street I parked it on.

I'd been downtown most of the day taking photos, and checked out a new museum. Then went uptown..

Been wanting to ride the :corsair: trolley :corsair: that runs through uptown for awhile (early 1900s, electric - car I was on actually originated in Australia). Drove to uptown, parked on a side street, made a mental note "I'm next to this reddish-orange apartment building". Then walked a couple of blocks to one of the stops.

Rode to the end of the line, walked around a bit, then rode to the other end, then started walking back to the car.

Then realized the apartment I parked next to.. the complex covers several square blocks, with every building looking identical. :wtc:

Walked around for nearly an hour before I called OnStar. They couldn't tell me what street it was on, but they were able to set off the alarm on it, and asked me how long I'd like it to go off for. After about 2 minutes of walking I finally started hearing it, and found it another minute later. Turns out when OnStar triggers it, the keyfob can't shut it off - you have to open the drivers door. :downs: After today I'm really happy I wound up keeping OnStar active..

But I got to ride this, so..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 5, 2013

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Larrymer posted:

Note intact glass in picture one. Looks like it got both sides of the car so I'm going with... vandalism?

My money is another driver hit it while parked, and the window was open.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

some texas redneck posted:

Dude where's my car

Pro tip, anytime I park down town somewhere drop a pin on you google maps or whatever in your phone. This has saved my rear end multie time in my travels.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Ran the Niva for a while. Stared at the water being spat out the exhaust and contemplated some more. Put the rear view mirror back on. It became dislodged. Had attempt #2 at re-adhering one of the quarter window latches. I'm not going to test it until tomorrow.
Removed the rotted rubber straps from the engine bay. That's about it. I have photos but they are going in my thread. Not like I can access them anyway. I'm in windows currently because windows game. Windows is being stupid with teh card reader so whatever. It can wait until i'm safe and sound back in Linux.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

This is what the throttle body on a 100,XXX Cobalt SS/SC looks like. Just cleaned it and reinstalled it. Giving the ECU 15 minutes before I reconnect the battery. Hopefully this will solve my idle bouncing issues.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

That really doesn't look that bad. I'm guessing something else is the issue.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

This is what the throttle body on a 100,XXX Cobalt SS/SC looks like. Just cleaned it and reinstalled it. Giving the ECU 15 minutes before I reconnect the battery. Hopefully this will solve my idle bouncing issues.

Find the IAC valve and passage and show us that, it's probably dirtier and actually facing restrictions and/or the piston is gumming up.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I'll have to look into that next weekend. I don't know why, but the throttle body getting dirty on our cars is a common issue.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Because the PCV mixture oil and gas gets thrown back in there. Pretty much happens on every car and it's usually not an issue until it really starts gumming stuff up.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Fig. 1: How to remove a stuck bolt in just 431 easy steps.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

EightBit posted:

Find the IAC valve and passage and show us that, it's probably dirtier and actually facing restrictions and/or the piston is gumming up.

There is no IACV on Ecotecs with DBW - the ECU controls the idle by opening the throttle body.

Holdbrooks posted:

Pro tip, anytime I park down town somewhere drop a pin on you google maps or whatever in your phone. This has saved my rear end multie time in my travels.

mind blown, never knew you could do that. :downs:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 6, 2013

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Holdbrooks posted:

Yup, but walk around a bit first to make sure it isn't mistaken about your location. You need it down to the block to make it really convenient.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Fig. 1: How to remove a stuck bolt in just 431 easy steps.

What, no torch? :v:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Started tearing out the interior on the Cuda. If I do this with the same speed as I do anything else with my vehicles, I'm thinking I'll have it back together somewhere around 2017 or so.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Somewhere around the start of winter my throttle began sticking after sitting overnight. A bit more pressure than normal and it would break free and be fine until the following morning. It's gradually gotten worse and now sticks even when just going into a store for a bit. Pedal and cable appear to be fine and it looks like the throttle body on the 3800s is known for getting some buildup in there so I pulled off the air intake thingy, sensor, and hexagon filter thing and hosed the throttle body down with some cleaner. There was a fair amount of buildup in there so hopefully that takes care of it. Also replaced the air filter while I had things apart.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Astroman posted:

What, no torch? :v:

Yep. Also some freezey spray, a sawzall and several blades, a couple of hammers, prybars, breakers, cheaters and waaaaaaaay too much time.

Now I have to figure out how to press in a bushing without a press. :smithicide:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Bring the bushing and the part it goes into to Home Depot, check the plumbing aisle for assorted iron pipe widgets that can be put together to act as a press, then buy yourself a giant loving C-clamp.

Also, put the bushing in the freezer, set your oven for 200 degrees, and put the part the bushing goes into in it. After both have reached temperature, try just stuffing them together and/or bashing it in with a dead blow hammer as quickly as you can, there's a solid chance it'll just go right in. When I did the ring and pinion in CommissarGribbs' jeep's front axle I was expecting to have to use the shop press to put the inner pinion bearing onto the pinion gear but after putting the gear in the freezer and running a heat gun through the center of the bearing cone, it simply slid right on.

Only takes a second or two at most to equalize temps and stick in place though, which is why you want to have the deadblow in your other hand to bash it in while you have the chance, and the press or pile of plumbing and C clamps just in case that doesn't work either.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The control arm is still on the car and I've gotten squeamish about ripping off rusted bolts so its gonna stay there if I can help it. I do have a torch and a freezer so I can probably replicate those conditions though.

Already have some pipe (for cheaters) and a c-clamp so I may give that a go too. Now I need spring compressors that actually fit my springs too.

I have so many tools and so few of the ones that I need. :sigh:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
On the Niva:

Wailed on the seat rail with a sledgehammer. Let it idle until the coolant boiled and just watched it do that for a bit. Killed the engine, let it suck the coolant back into the rad and then repeated the experiment. Ordered a cheap capillary tube thermo switch on eBay.

Dropped the centre console thing to plug the headlight wipers in to see if they worked. They don't. I think the relay is gone / dead.

Used the battery to test a couple of CBs. The AM was fried. The UHF seems like it could work.

Put the old spark plug lead back on that I substituted earlier.

Swapped driver and passenger wipers. The one that was on the drivers side is knackered and kind of floppy.

Re-bent the rear wiper. It looked a little squished.

Pondered the wood blocks under the carpet under the drivers seat.

Looked for places to mount a CB.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Put 12mm spacers in the front to get rid of the retarded gap with my new suspension. That's max positive camber too.

Before

After

Hammers
Feb 13, 2012

psssSSSSSSHHHHHHH TOOTOOTootootoo

StormDrain posted:

My money is another driver hit it while parked, and the window was open.

Bovril Delight posted:

Larrymer posted:

Basically, I attempted to go around a FedEx truck that was double parked and I clipped my mirror. I had my passenger side window down and when the mirror glass shattered it went EVERYWHERE inside my car. At least the glass and cover were only $35 from Captiol Subaru, but the paint is expensive because the color is satin white pearl. I ended up ordering some carbon fiber covers from ebay instead of painting the new cover.

And my car wasn't even 3 months old. :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Did some more stripping on the engine today, basically all I've got left at this point is the oil cooler/filter flange, and the head, and I'll be down to the short block. Work tomorrow, hopefully I'll have time to get hold of a machine shop for an estimate to look at it, if not it'll have to wait til Wednesday at least.