Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I wouldn't worry about it in neutral.

Even touch free car washes have happily tugged off a wad of paint from my beater Impreza's rear fenders thanks to the magic of corrosion. Somehow wand washes don't do the same.

High pressure sprays will do that. If you don't mind swirls, touch car washes are so much better than touchless. Especially if your car is as dirty as mine usually are when I take them to a car wash. I've never had a touchless car wash get all the dirt off the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Finished the Stage 2 upgrade on my Forester just before lunch. Went pretty good except for the oxygen sensor. I hit everything with PB Blaster last night when I got home and when I went out a little later, I was curious so I put a breaker bar on the turbo bolts and was able to get them all loose. I hadn't planned on starting it last night, but I pulled out the downpipe and went after the oxygen sensor. It was seriously stuck and I ended up having to heat it up with the torch to get it loose.

I've got another one on order in case I somehow damaged it getting it out.

The new downpipe went in easily and I flashed it to Stage 2. So far so good, definitely an improvement.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Lowered a tiny bit.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Finally had a chance to wash the GC8. I couldn't be happier with it, just need to re-black a piece of trim on the rear passenger side (not visible in this pic) and the exterior will be nearly perfect.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Larrymer posted:

Lowered a tiny bit.
Those 17" wheels are so much nicer than the 16" wheels mine came with. Nice.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Larrymer posted:

Lowered a tiny bit.

Looks good, although...

VelociBacon posted:

Finally had a chance to wash the GC8. I couldn't be happier with it, just need to re-black a piece of trim on the rear passenger side (not visible in this pic) and the exterior will be nearly perfect.

I love this :circlefap:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone have recommendations on driveline fluid? The DCCD and the rear LSD are I believe plated LSD's and the front is helical. I'm paranoid about putting in the wrong fluid. Googling around I find what I've come to expect as standard for gc8 info - all totally contradictory and mostly opinion based.

The car is used as a daily driver with some autox/rallyX in the future and maybe the rare track day.

Sockington posted:

I love this :circlefap:

Thanks! Once I borrow a dslr I'll take some better pics of the commemorative badges etc.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I think subaru has some fancy LSD additive you add to extra-S for the few years they put in a clutch type LSD.

Meat Mitts
May 28, 2012
I gave her a good wash and wax, and Rain-X'd all the windows. I've got some Rally Armor mudflaps I'll be putting on this week as well.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
For whatever reason, the fog light area of you car looks almost digital in this picture. Also, check out awdpirates.net for local deals/news/etc.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Meat Mitts posted:

I gave her a good wash and wax, and Rain-X'd all the windows. I've got some Rally Armor mudflaps I'll be putting on this week as well.

What color flaps did you get? Your car is identical style and color as mine.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Two questions: a) I'm considering heat wrapping the downpipe and/or putting a turbo blanket on, does this affect life of the turbo at all? I'm using a factory VF24 turbo, 80xxx km on it and I have no plans to upgrade. I've read that you can increase your mean oil temperature by doing this and thats something I'd like to avoid if possible. I also live in Vancouver where it rains nearly every day and have heard the wrap can hold moisture against the surface they're wrapped on - there any benefit to a blanket without wrapping the downpipe?

b) My sound deadening/heat dampening under the hood is very haggard. I'd like to replace it but I think I'm super unlikely to find some for my car (GC STi). Has anyone used another material for the same purpose? Is it totally alright for the paint to just remove it?

Meat Mitts
May 28, 2012

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

For whatever reason, the fog light area of you car looks almost digital in this picture. Also, check out awdpirates.net for local deals/news/etc.

I used mspaint to shrink the picture down...it seemed to pixelate everything in the process. Maybe that's why.

Farking Bastage posted:

What color flaps did you get? Your car is identical style and color as mine.

I went with the urethane/black with red logo mudflaps. I'll post pictures once I install them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

VelociBacon posted:

Two questions: a) I'm considering heat wrapping the downpipe and/or putting a turbo blanket on, does this affect life of the turbo at all? I'm using a factory VF24 turbo, 80xxx km on it and I have no plans to upgrade. I've read that you can increase your mean oil temperature by doing this and thats something I'd like to avoid if possible. I also live in Vancouver where it rains nearly every day and have heard the wrap can hold moisture against the surface they're wrapped on - there any benefit to a blanket without wrapping the downpipe?

b) My sound deadening/heat dampening under the hood is very haggard. I'd like to replace it but I think I'm super unlikely to find some for my car (GC STi). Has anyone used another material for the same purpose? Is it totally alright for the paint to just remove it?
What about getting one from a regular model and just cutting a hole for the scoop?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Any tips on applying tail light overlays? I have a '13 hatch, and the ALTEZZA JDM LITE YO tails kind of bother me, and I'm thinking of getting some vinyl overlays from bluebatoverlays.com.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You should be able to just get the part number for the underhood blanket and order a new one. There were some GC/GFs here with hood scoops so the blanket already fits them - I would actually be surprised if it's a special WRX/STI part.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

You should be able to just get the part number for the underhood blanket and order a new one. There were some GC/GFs here with hood scoops so the blanket already fits them - I would actually be surprised if it's a special WRX/STI part.

Those hood scoops were blocked though, so I'd look at them to see if they actually have a cut out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
They do, I have one (and the covers are just bolted on). I can take a picture of the underside of mine later today and see if the measurements match up, though.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

BoyBlunder posted:

Any tips on applying tail light overlays? I have a '13 hatch, and the ALTEZZA JDM LITE YO tails kind of bother me, and I'm thinking of getting some vinyl overlays from bluebatoverlays.com.

Grab a cheap heat gun for stretching and have plenty of patience.

Mine started to peel and crack less than six months after applying, so I said gently caress it, and painted them maserati style. :v:

McSpatula fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 6, 2013

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

They do, I have one (and the covers are just bolted on). I can take a picture of the underside of mine later today and see if the measurements match up, though.

That would be great! Even just a general photo would be enough without measurements, where it's molded up into the hood seems specific enough that I should be able to tell.

I'll also call my local dealership.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The Saabaru is driving me nuts. Had door replaced after someone hit it while parked. Made wind noise afterwards at freeway speeds here:

Went back to body shop, had window adjusted. Didn't fix it. Had weather stripping on chassis side replaced today. Didn't fix it.

I'm hoping it's the weather stripping on the door side, but if it's not, I'm guessing the used door they chose as a replacement is hosed somehow.

They keep telling me they don't hear the noise. I have good hearing, but not great, and it's pretty evident to me. I'm going to sound like the perfectionist customer from hell. I wish I had chosen a body shop with staff that can hear.

Edit: here's audio of the noise, you have to turn your volume way up to hear it (crackling noise)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJmZJqMU5gY

blk fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 7, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Frameless? If you push on the window, how much does it move? If it is any more that very little, there is a clip in there that needs to be replaced. Had something similar on my pass side.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

That would be great! Even just a general photo would be enough without measurements, where it's molded up into the hood seems specific enough that I should be able to tell.

I'll also call my local dealership.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

nm posted:

Frameless? If you push on the window, how much does it move? If it is any more that very little, there is a clip in there that needs to be replaced. Had something similar on my pass side.

Frameless. Window doesn't really move.

However, I measured the panel gap on the original passenger door and the replacement driver door. The replacement door somehow has 7 mm gap between it and the B pillar. The passenger door only has 5.

I'm wondering if they used a Subaru door and if it isn't exactly the same size as the Saabaru door.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It should be the same size. If doors are like fenders you can sometimes 'walk' the hinge around on the bolts a bit to make more/less clearance, or (for the door only) adjust/shim the striker.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thank you for this pic. I'll go take a look at mine and see if they're similar.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

So on my first long drive after upgrading to Stage 2 on my Forester, I hooked up my AP as a boost gauge since I don't have a mechanical gauge. Pretty sure I have a boost leak, I'm not even hitting 11 psi, the Cobb map is supposed to be 14.5 psi. I did some datalogging, here is a good segment:

Where should I start looking? I had a leak between the turbo and the up-pipe earlier this year, but I had that fixed several months ago.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Such good taste in cars, such bad taste in beer.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005
Looks like I'm getting a new WRX later this month. I had to basically take what they could find and the one I put a deposit down on has the side body molding. Only problem is I'm not a huge fan of how the car looks with the side molding. Are these so functional that I'd be crazy to remove/get the dealer to remove them? Is it possible to remove/have the dealer remove them without damage?

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

LordOfThePants posted:

So on my first long drive after upgrading to Stage 2 on my Forester, I hooked up my AP as a boost gauge since I don't have a mechanical gauge. Pretty sure I have a boost leak, I'm not even hitting 11 psi, the Cobb map is supposed to be 14.5 psi. I did some datalogging, here is a good segment:

Where should I start looking? I had a leak between the turbo and the up-pipe earlier this year, but I had that fixed several months ago.

Try the High Wastegate map first just to see if that fixes it. Also, go WOT through a whole gear.

Yakattak fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 8, 2013

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

blk posted:

Such good taste in cars, such bad taste in beer.

I also drive a Subaru and like Rolling Rock. :colbert:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Braggo posted:

Looks like I'm getting a new WRX later this month. I had to basically take what they could find and the one I put a deposit down on has the side body molding. Only problem is I'm not a huge fan of how the car looks with the side molding. Are these so functional that I'd be crazy to remove/get the dealer to remove them? Is it possible to remove/have the dealer remove them without damage?

Which side moulding are you talking about? I can't find any pics of one with any.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Yakattak posted:

Try the High Wastegate map first just to see if that fixes it. Also, go WOT through a whole gear.

There isn't a High Wastegate map for the Forester. It looks like the options are a professional tune or adjust the wastegate actuator arm. I might try adjusting the arm tonight to see if that fixes it.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Which side moulding are you talking about? I can't find any pics of one with any.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/wrxsti/wrxsti2012photos1.html has a few pictures of it. It looks like they just attach with an adhesive so a heat gun may work. I was just hoping someone had some experience with them.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I wouldn't mess with it. Too risky.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Braggo posted:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/wrxsti/wrxsti2012photos1.html has a few pictures of it. It looks like they just attach with an adhesive so a heat gun may work. I was just hoping someone had some experience with them.

Those side moldings are almost certainly held on with double sided 3m automotive tape.

The safest way I have found to remove this stuff is to get some "spiderwire" braided fishing line. Clip off a length of about a foot and a half and "saw" through the adhesive kind of like you would if you were flossing your teeth. If you are careful with the angle you hold the ends at, the only thing you will touch is the tape.

Once you've done that, the part still attached to the car will come off slowly without a heat gun, or quickly with one.

This way there is zero chance of damaging the moldings so you can save them in case you ever sell the car and the buyer wants them. Or you could just put them up on eBay.

With the contour of the doors they are pretty useless for preventing many door dings anyway.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Going to pull the motor this weekend on my friends '04 Impreza 2.5TS wagon, SOHC. Has a blown headgasket. Any tips? We are going to rent an engine hoist for the weekend and power it oout. Neither of us have ever removed an engine before but we have done a decent amount of work on the car so it should hopefully go smoothly, but rusty bolts are our main concern.

I will take a ton of pictures for the sake of putting it back together and as something to post.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

Ezrem posted:

Those side moldings are almost certainly held on with double sided 3m automotive tape.

The safest way I have found to remove this stuff is to get some "spiderwire" braided fishing line. Clip off a length of about a foot and a half and "saw" through the adhesive kind of like you would if you were flossing your teeth. If you are careful with the angle you hold the ends at, the only thing you will touch is the tape.

Once you've done that, the part still attached to the car will come off slowly without a heat gun, or quickly with one.

This way there is zero chance of damaging the moldings so you can save them in case you ever sell the car and the buyer wants them. Or you could just put them up on eBay.

With the contour of the doors they are pretty useless for preventing many door dings anyway.

This is what I was hoping for, awesome news. Thanks!

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Voltage posted:

Going to pull the motor this weekend on my friends '04 Impreza 2.5TS wagon, SOHC. Has a blown headgasket. Any tips? We are going to rent an engine hoist for the weekend and power it oout. Neither of us have ever removed an engine before but we have done a decent amount of work on the car so it should hopefully go smoothly, but rusty bolts are our main concern.

I will take a ton of pictures for the sake of putting it back together and as something to post.

Here you go:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t63237-diy-engine-removal.html

Single cam engine removal. It's for a GC, but a GD is close enough.

Don't take the exhaust apart, take it off as one big piece.

Use the good gaskets. Part numbers are in the OP. If you get stuck ask on here and we should have a quick answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Ezrem posted:

Are you sure? When I did my 99 RS side molding removal, I had to weld in the holes the clips left behind.