Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Niggurath posted:

So what you're saying is that he should do Saya no Uta instead?
I don't know what that is, and I'd rather not read spoilers. Gimme a basic synopsis of the overarching idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Niggurath posted:

I would love to see that thread, just for the reactions on every side of the debate.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I don't know what that is, and I'd rather not read spoilers. Gimme a basic synopsis of the overarching idea.

Guy has accident, sees world as Satan's own deli (it's affectionately nicknamed the 'Guroverse') and people as sickening monsters. Only person he doesn't see as this is a young girl called Saya.

Basically H.P. Lovecraft, only he's shagging a shoggoth.

Kaboom Dragoon fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 7, 2013

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Niggurath posted:

Maybe they are suggesting he should do Katawa Shoujo instead.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Mods please change thread title to Visual Novel Sandcastle.

edit: slowbeef/Zorak: When you wake up, I'm sorry. I didn't mean for this to happen.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Let's just change gears before it get any creepier.
So... does anyone plan on seeing the new Star Trek movie?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

itotaku posted:

Maybe they are suggesting he should do Katawa Shoujo instead.

I loved the hell out of that game when I played it the first time through. Still do, after a fashion.

I just hope that whatever madman would LP that book has some kind of transcription training because dude's going to be writing out a book. Eight hours, each path?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Aaaaa there's a Visual Novel thread in ADTRW, just discuss poo poo in there. If you want to a LP a thing, whatever. Just don't LP offensively creepy poo poo.

AngstyFerrets
Aug 1, 2012

a man is only as good as his word. my word is laserfight. im pretty incredible
Hey! Here's a test post for a group commentary VLP of the game Adam's Venture. I'd like to do the whole series of three games eventually, all contained in the one thread.

---

Indiana's Jone and the Budget Title -- Let's Play Adam's Venture!

What is Adam's Venture?
Adam's Venture is a three-part episodic adventure game, developed by indie developer Vertigo Games. The game is most obviously inspired by the classic Indiana Jones franchise, and takes gameplay cues from the Tomb Raider and Uncharted series. The series started in 2009, with the second and third episodes releasing in 2011 and 2012, respectively.
The story follows the titular hero Adam Venture (seriously, that is his Real Name) on his journey through various ad(am)ventures. We will be LPing all three episodes of the trilogy, due to each episode’s short length.

Adam’s Venture Episode 1: The Search for the Lost Garden
While excavating a church in France, Adam and friends discover an old scroll packed with ancient writing and Templar symbolism. After a stroke of genius, Adam concludes that this scroll details the location of the mythical Garden of Eden. With funding from the mysterious Clairvaux Corporation, they set sail for the gates of Eden. But what will they discover beyond the giant door? Who is the Clairveax Corporation? Will Adam get a real last name?! Let’s Play Adam’s Venture, Episode 1!
    [1-1] The Venture Begins

Bonus Content
    There are multiple chests throughout the game that each give a code when opened. Entering them in order on the Adam’s Venture website’s bonus section (http://www.adams-venture.com/node/15) enables the player to view bonus content in the form of ‘Adam’s Diary’. Due to the content containing spoilers, a video of the content will be posted at the end of the Episode 1 LP!

The remaining 2 episodes to follow!

Notes!
    Are you seriously going to LP all 3 episodes?
    We will certainly try! Each game is very short, with Episode 1 clocking in at under an hour of LP time.

Why LP Adam’s Venture?
    The game received below average scores on Metacritic (52/100) and both I, AngstyFerrets, and co-commentator, PoshAlligator, occasionally enjoy indulging ourselves in humorously bad video games, and we wanted to see how this game would turn out. In addition, we’ve seen how big studios have created games like Uncharted inspired by the Indiana Jones series, so I thought it would be interesting how a small studio would fare at creating a title in the vein of Indiana Jones.

What’s the deal with the Christian themes?
    The developer states that the series has a “Rich and involving storyline that weaves a classic adventure with biblical overtones.” Christianity obviously plays a role in the story, but we’re aiming to judge and experience the game on its gameplay and fun factor. Despite both of us being non-religious, we’re not going to use this as a platform to launch an anti-Christianity tirade or atheist party, and we obviously don’t want to encourage that in the thread. We’re LPing the game because we enjoy adventure stories and want to see how an indie developer handles that. We hope you enjoy that too!

What format will the LP take?
    This is a video LP with group commentary. Unlike our previous expedition (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, available here: http://lparchive.org/Indiana-Jones-and-the-Last-Crusade/) , I, AngstyFerrets, have taken the lead on this LP, with PoshAlligator fulfilling the co-hosting duties. There will be no long pauses during puzzles, because I noted down the solutions on my previous run-through, but I will attempt to explain the puzzles and their difficulty. In addition, the Steam achievements didn't pop-up, so those have been added in with super-duper amazing post-production VFX special effects FX skills. VFX.

Let’s Play!

---

Thoughts/criticisms/insults welcomed!

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Is YouTube running like poo poo for anyone else?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Thunderfinger posted:

Is YouTube running like poo poo for anyone else?

Yeah, it's been like that for a few days now.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
http://mitchribar.com/2013/02/how-to-stop-youtube-sucking-windows-guide/

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Sorry, this didn't do poo poo for me. If anything, I think it made things slower for me. Not sure how, but whatever.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

AngstyFerrets posted:

Indiana's Jone and the Budget Title -- Let's Play Adam's Venture!

I'm glad someone is going to do these, since I had planned to but, thanks to external factors, that all fell through. About your video, though -- if you're going to comment on how bad the voice acting is (and it is indeed bad), it might be good if you didn't have the game's audio turned down so far. The audio mixing could use some work for your dubbing as well; after a certain point one of you becomes almost inaudible. Assuming you have the two voice tracks recorded separately, it shouldn't be too hard to fix on that account.

Also, if as you mention in the video you want the unlockable extra content, I can sort that out for you. There's not much there that's worthwhile, but it does include some beautiful concept art for some of the characters.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Thunderfinger posted:

Sorry, this didn't do poo poo for me. If anything, I think it made things slower for me. Not sure how, but whatever.

Something that worked fairly well for me was boosting my browser cache to 50 MB. I haven't had Youtube videos crash mid-play since I set it there.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Something that worked fairly well for me was boosting my browser cache to 50 MB. I haven't had Youtube videos crash mid-play since I set it there.

How do I go about doing that?

Also, sorry about derailing this thread for this guys, I didn't mean to turn the sandcastle into SH/SC.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Thunderfinger posted:

How do I go about doing that?

Also, sorry about derailing this thread for this guys, I didn't mean to turn the sandcastle into SH/SC.

Depends on your browser. Try searching through your help files or else Google "browser name" and "disk cache."

AngstyFerrets
Aug 1, 2012

a man is only as good as his word. my word is laserfight. im pretty incredible

crowfeathers posted:

I'm glad someone is going to do these, since I had planned to but, thanks to external factors, that all fell through. About your video, though -- if you're going to comment on how bad the voice acting is (and it is indeed bad), it might be good if you didn't have the game's audio turned down so far. The audio mixing could use some work for your dubbing as well; after a certain point one of you becomes almost inaudible. Assuming you have the two voice tracks recorded separately, it shouldn't be too hard to fix on that account.

Also, if as you mention in the video you want the unlockable extra content, I can sort that out for you. There's not much there that's worthwhile, but it does include some beautiful concept art for some of the characters.

Thanks! We were considering not talking during cutscenes/dialogue, which would allow the voice acting to come through. We'll probably do that.

I went to the website for the bonus content just after finishing the recording of the game, and I couldn't find the bonus content, but it appears that the website is back up. I grabbed some screenshots of the content just before posting here, but thanks for offering!

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011

Migeman posted:

Let's Play God of War Ghost of Sparta NSFW

What's this?
This is the second prequel and takes part between 1 and 2. This leads up to Kratos's downfall in GoW2.

Information stuff
This was originally released November 5th 2010 on PSP then it was rereleased on September 16th 2011 on the PS3 along with the other PSP game Chains of Olympus. It was quite a highly rated PSP game, it was given an 86 by Metacritic.

Why aren't you playing Chains of Olympus?
It's a good game but it just isn't as fun as all the other games.

What's the plot?
After ascending to the God of War Kratos is plagued by nightmares and visions about his past. He goes to chase up these visions even when Athena advises him to stay put and ignore them. So then he goes to where again he leaves a trail of destruction.

When will you upload videos?
Due to sometimes being busy in work I should manage at least one video per week, I couldn't give you a day at the moment.

Do I need to know anymore background information about GoW?
It's not necessary but limp-cheese has LP'd 1, 2 and 3 and they are available on the archive here; http://lparchive.org/title/god%20of%20war

Part 1: Atlantis

This is a different video to the one I posted before, I listened to the original one a couple more times and it just wasn't very good, this ones an improvement.

Sorry about the repost of this again but it sort of got forgotten about with that Mega Man stuff happening, but anyway I took the previous advice I put autoducking on the audio, so the final thing I'm really looking for is any critique on the commentary. The video in the link has been updated with the autoducked version.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
GTA IV: How we Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Big American Titties

Grand Theft Auto IV, released in April of 2008 for the Xbox 360 and PS3, was possibly the most widely-anticipated game of the current console generation. After the success of its predecessors, beginning with Grand Theft Auto 3, it was hard not to look forward to a title with such a pedigree. Developed by the north division of Rockstar Games, GTA IV is set in an alternate version of the GTA world (aptly titled the HD universe). This means we aren't going to see mentions of Claude, Tommy Vercetti, or even Carl Johnson. Instead we have the distinct pleasure of getting to know Niko Bellic.

Niko is an immigrant from an unspecified Eastern European territory, come to Liberty City for a new lease on life. War has taken its toll and having found himself in a spot of trouble, what better could he hope for than the "land of opportunity" itself? Packing his bags and setting sail as a hired hand on a cargo ship, Niko makes his way to Liberty City, where his cousin, and untold opportunities await. And that's where we come in.

This LP will be a blind run. This, of course, means that beyond the first few missions, I have NO idea what's going to happen. The first couple of videos are post commentary, but will be traded off for a heavily-edited live treatment. As for commentary, I have the old crew from Portable Ops with me yet again. In case you didn't watch that, or simply don't remember, that would be A_Raving_Loon, Shindragon, and Killer Emcee. As we will be doing live commentary, this is subject to change occasionally, depending on availability.

Each video will have both a cut (regular logo) and uncut (inverted logo) version of the commentary, due to the liberal amount of cutscenes in the game. The first few videos will likely be the worst of the bunch in terms of cutscene spacing, so the uncut version may be preferable--subtitles are on in case you still want to know what's going on.

And, of course, a disclaimer: this will not disrupt MW3 or any future (ugh) CoD LPs.

-------------

To expect with an actual thread:
Blip hosting
Polsy links

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Pythonicus posted:

GTA IV: How we Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Big American Titties

This LP will be a blind run. This, of course, means that beyond the first few missions, I have NO idea what's going to happen. The first couple of videos are post commentary, but will be traded off for a heavily-edited live treatment. As for commentary, I have the old crew from Portable Ops with me yet again. In case you didn't watch that, or simply don't remember, that would be A_Raving_Loon, Shindragon, and Killer Emcee.

It feels like with four people commentating at least someone should know the game well enough to tell us what happens if you don't make that call, for instance. I've come to expect at least a little useful information in SA LPs, and that seemed more like you guys were just shooting the poo poo while the game played in the background. I watched the cut version though, so maybe the uncut is better.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yeah, with blind runs I find it's always better when someone who's played through the game is watching along, to prod the guy playing in the right direction when they start wasting way too much time or otherwise to just chuckle idly when the guy playing says something adorable that only someone who's played through the game would get.

"A bunch of guys go in blind and dick around" type LPs are extremely hit and miss. Usually miss.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
If you want to increase your chances of success, have at least one person who knows the game well, and at least one person who's good with jokes.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

GTA4 gets kinda long and boring at times so I hope you like cutting stuff if you're doing it all blind.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
I don't know that I'd really care about a blind run of a GTA game in general, but it doesn't really suffer from the typical blind run stuff when it just sends you from place to place.

That said, a blind run of Driving to Missions: The Game sounds like a terrible idea.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
After spending so much time completely screwing up solo commentary (which I am NOT very good at!) I decided I'd just better put together the rest of my test post and see if I can't get any advice to pull this together and make it a thing. I've been looking forward to doing it but holy hell do I ever freeze up in the planning stages.

Don't Blink! Let's be a Hero in Rockman 4 Minus Infinity

What is Rockman 4 Minus Infinity?
R4MI is an extremely extensive ROM hack of Megaman 4 (Rockman 4) that was "completed" sometime last year by a group of people headed by the talented hacker Puresabe. Along with a reasonable hike in difficulty, Many aspects of the original game were changed to a degree that renders them virtually unrecognizable to the original.

Although the game keeps its basic formula, there is almost nothing that hasn't been changed by the R4MI team, aside from the original graphics. Enemies and their AI have been added from many other games in the series, including Game Boy titles, and many new and unique enemies have been added too. The original bosses have all-new patterns and a few bosses have even been outright replaced. It is quite possibly one of the best designed romhacks out there given its still incomplete state, if not the best.

Then what is this LP?
R4MI features a scoring system that grades you on your performance. As of the current version, the maximum score you can earn is 96, so this will be the goal. The biggest obstacle standing in my way is a 100 minute timer, which will deduct 4 points from my score if I miss it. This is the ultimate obstacle to overcome... Especially since I also plan to show off unimportant side areas and not (completely) embarass major bosses!

If fortune favors me, you'll probably be seeing some guest commentary from some lucky(?) goons who will probably see me blaze through a stage in 5 minutes while I obnoxiously talk over them. If not, I'll probably just settle for the goonfriend who gave me the inspiration and motivation to spend ten bucks to create an LP in the first place. The mere thought of solo commentary terrifies me to the core.

Be sure to also check out the other R4MI LP in the Hard Games thread, it's pretty great!

Audience participation!
Make me suffer! Give me some side challenges to mix in with the main LP, and I'll do them! Within reason. Don't say things like "Play through the entire game with just the wire" or "Use the balloon to kill Bright Man" because I'll probably just ignore you instead. Although I'd probably still use the balloon to kill Bright Man. I'm not going to call a limit on the number of challenges but try to use good judgement when giving me a condition to fulfill. Lastly, keep in mind I'm not going to incorporate any of those challenges into the hero run, so don't get your hopes up. Feel free to just ask for videos of things I just plain didn't do, too.

This is probably what a video link would look like IF I had a video with commentary ready!(please help oh god I'm so lonely)

Below or in another post would probably be info on weapons, items, bosses, that have appeared in the LP thus far.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cheez posted:

This is probably what a video link would look like IF I had a video with commentary ready!(please help oh god I'm so lonely)

You could have waited until you had a video, you know. Test posts aren't a race.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

At first I wasn't going to bring up the fact that an LP of this game literally just finished today in the Hard Games thread, but then I noticed you had no actual content.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
Welcome to the sandcastle, where we criticize and give advice on the content of an LP you would like to post on the forum.

This is an opening post with no content.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

See that bit about the challenges? If and when you do get around to providing content, do those as separate videos. Gimmick runs are nice as bonus material, but most people will want to watch a good, hopefully skilful playthrough. If your commentary isn't the best, you can get away with being good at the game, or vice versa.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

The LP was in planning since even before I joined. Someone else was going to do it but then decided at the last moment because of a traumatic LP experience that I was better off making the thread. He's consistently dodging my attempts to make a commentary track to put into a video. I have videos with no commentary to post. It's implied that I'm asking for help to actually create a post with content in the vein of the LP I'm trying to do. What's better in this case? Other than no video, a video with no commentary or a video that contains what I actually intend to post in an actual OP outside of the sandcastle?

Color Printer posted:

At first I wasn't going to bring up the fact that an LP of this game literally just finished today in the Hard Games thread, but then I noticed you had no actual content.
Hopefully if you were reading that thread you'd have actually seen the post I had made quite a few days ago and people said it was ok and fine for me to do an LP and you're kind of just being unconstructive at this point?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Cheez posted:

Hopefully if you were reading that thread you'd have actually seen the post I had made quite a few days ago and people said it was ok and fine for me to do an LP and you're kind of just being unconstructive at this point?

What the hell can he be constructive about, you haven't given any material to work with...

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Cheez posted:

Okay, I admit I missed that. My bad. But. My other point still stands. No content.

EDIT: I mean the OP looks alright. There, constructive with what I'm given.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 10, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
So you have someone else's footage? Or you recorded your own footage and wanted somebody else to talk over it for some reason? Why not talk over it yourself?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Quick question. How do you generate a link to a post so that it only includes that post?

I used to know, but I've since forgotten.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cheez posted:

The problem is that there is no LP here, though. Just an OP.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Color Printer posted:

My other point still stands. No content.

EDIT: I mean the OP looks alright. There, constructive with what I'm given.

That's fair then, and I addressed that in my post as well.

Suspicious Dish posted:

So you have someone else's footage? Or you recorded your own footage and wanted somebody else to talk over it for some reason? Why not talk over it yourself?
My own footage, and I was looking for co-commentary since I'm an idiot that can't do something as simple as talk to myself. I considered subtitling for a while but I'm fairly certain that would clash with the game and LP style. I'm open for suggestions on how to make a compromise on this, because I'm a blank right now.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Cake Attack posted:

Quick question. How do you generate a link to a post so that it only includes that post?

I used to know, but I've since forgotten.

The # right under the avatar.

Edit: Specifically, it changes your url into the link you're looking for if you click it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ThatPazuzu posted:

The # right under the avatar.

Edit: Specifically, it changes your url into the link you're looking for if you click it.

Nah, I know how to do that. I want it so only the post shows up, nothing else from the same page. The # just links you directly to the post.

Like so:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=411329434

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Click the # sign and see the post ID at the end of the URL? Put that into the showpost URL. Leave the "post" before it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Nah, I know how to do that. I want it so only the post shows up, nothing else from the same page. The # just links you directly to the post.

Like so:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=411329434

You can replace the number that's in the '&postid=' part of the url with the postid of one of our posts. One way to figure out what a given post's id is, is by hitting the '#' link under your avatar and grabbing the id from your address bar.

e: f;b

• Locked thread