Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

wtftastic posted:

I doubt that that's anyone's first choice as far as that goes, or that someone is going to run out and buy one based on the discussions were having.

That being said, when I first got Bailey, when I mentioned having trouble with loose lead walking, people outside of PI suggested I get a prong or a choke collar. PI suggested that I first try a harness, which I've been using with him ever since. I don't think I could go back to not using a harness- it feels so much more secure for both me and the dog.

See, that's the nice thing about having a little dog. I just drag him along by the collar, and he's too small to stop me from doing it! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uptown
May 16, 2009

catamar posted:

Lots of people think Gansett is a girl. He is very beautiful! :3:

He is GORGEOUS.

Hey rear end in a top hat with the air horn, how about you loving die? You are agitating my dog.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

"I see that you're watching the Red Wings game. Let me sit with you and stare creepily."

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Only Jess was ever consistently identified as female. Even in a pink collar and leash Lola is a boy, and people are already telling me what a good boy Kalli is/how she'll be a big boy. I just sort of smile and agree.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

Triangulum posted:

Mario Verslype for one. He just won the FMBB IPO World Championship with Hasco van de Duvetorre, who he trained without adversives, and he's won 3 other world championships (FMBB and FCI) with +R/-P trained dogs. My IPO trainer is going to this seminar later this year, I'm jealous : http://www.posidog.org/event-registration/?ee=518
I was unaware that Yagus was completely R+/P-, so the more you know. Haven't followed quite as closely in the past year or three. I know my acquaintance tried that route with her GSD, but didn't quite get it to work for C part even though she's an excellent trainer and had a quality decoy working with her. (They did make our WUSV team once or twice.)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Ultimate Griff "leave it" challenge: OPEN rat cage (she has murdered plenty of feeder rats and would not hesitate to destroy a cage to get them when we first brought her home, so that is quite a feat for her,) an open container of (fish based, super gross and her absolute favorite) kibble and two OTHER DOGS sitting near "her" things. She is holding her down/stay and not starting poo poo with or even growling at anyone.

Two months ago, everything would have been covered in blood. Good Griff :)

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

a life less posted:

This article is making the rounds right now, and it's got about equal parts fans and critics. http://www.balancedtrainers.com/bloggers/entry/a-silent-killer
This article is pretty silly. Bad training is bad training. Badly trained dogs learn bad behaviors (or don't unlearn them or don't learn appropriate behaviors). Well trained dogs are well behaved. That's pretty much all there is to it. I'd bet money that problem behaviors that get dogs euth'd are not the result of +R/-P but of no training or just plain bad training.

That said, I'm not too keen on "Aversive Free" training myself and my training certainly isn't aversive free. "AF" often translates to bad training because it's usually the result of not fully understanding how training works.

Also good dog Griff! :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Some 'Aversive Free' people are really weird. I can't even imagine not using verbal corrections V:shobon:V

I think that article overstates how much of an influence R+ training actually has.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My husband says the rat situation is not as bad as it sounded, and he's going to talk to my house sitter about how he needs to be more social with the rats. They're moving his computer down into the room where the cage is so they can see and hear him more. Apparently he was just being very wimpy about picking them up if they squeaked, and since Mordin likes to scream like he's being murdered (until you put him on your shoulder, then he's perfectly content), the house sitter thought he might be hurting them.

I'm still cautiously optimistic, but it sounds like maybe I don't need to find a foster or new home for them. :ohdear:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Superconsndar posted:

Ultimate Griff "leave it" challenge: OPEN rat cage (she has murdered plenty of feeder rats and would not hesitate to destroy a cage to get them when we first brought her home, so that is quite a feat for her,) an open container of (fish based, super gross and her absolute favorite) kibble and two OTHER DOGS sitting near "her" things. She is holding her down/stay and not starting poo poo with or even growling at anyone.

Griff is awesome. You are awesome for letting Griff be awesome.
She is such a pretty girl.
Kick rear end job Griff :)

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
So I'm in the garden with Bella the other day, hanging up some laundry when I notice her chasing after something I can't see. She's sniffing around and running and generally being super curious about something. So I stop what I'm doing and go over to see what's got her attention.

My Great Dane was chasing a ladybug :3:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Superconsndar posted:

That is awesome. :3:

I used to use just regular nylon leads for Corbin because he was the kind of dog that if his leash was suddenly dropped, he'd stop and look around, waiting for you to guide him on. Walking him was zero effort.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Speaking of Pistol, everyone we meet assumes he's female. Does anyone else have this problem with their dogs? Just because he's a pretty boy and likes to prance around doesn't mean he's a girl :saddowns:

My chihuahuas are always assumed to be female, especially Sasquatch. He is kind of dainty looking though. But he also has a wiener the size of one of his legs so... :shrug:

I always default call things a "he" because that is how I learned you're suppose to call things you don't know what sex they are when I was in grade school. Or you know, I ask before calling a dog a male or female.

I don't think anyone has ever asked if Ned is a girl, guess he looks like enough like a boy.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

http://thedogsnobs.com/2013/05/06/your-dogs-a-fat-rear end-feed-it-less-a-rant-by-fang/

A nice write up (rant) about people with fat dogs. I know pretty much everyone in PI already knows these things, but I figured I would pass it along.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Please do not fat shame your pets some of them are just naturally big.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

He's just big boned. :saddowns:

cryingscarf posted:

http://thedogsnobs.com/2013/05/06/your-dogs-a-fat-rear end-feed-it-less-a-rant-by-fang/

A nice write up (rant) about people with fat dogs. I know pretty much everyone in PI already knows these things, but I figured I would pass it along.

The one thing I dislike about this is that the pictures it uses are pretty extreme. My friends have dogs that are thinner than the pics so how am I supposed to passive aggressively send it to them?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Fraction posted:

He's just big boned. :saddowns:

The one thing I dislike about this is that the pictures it uses are pretty extreme. My friends have dogs that are thinner than the pics so how am I supposed to passive aggressively send it to them?

That's a cute balloon animal there.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Fraction posted:

Some 'Aversive Free' people are really weird. I can't even imagine not using verbal corrections V:shobon:V

I think it really depends a lot on the dog, too. Shadow is a sensitive flower who does much better without aversives (though it's also important to note, of course, that it's up to the dog what he/she considers aversive). Even if I use a no-reward marker in a happy tone Shadow's world will crumble and he will think he is The Worst Dog and spiral into a tornado of terrified appeasement gestures (I am exaggerating a bit, of course, but that's pretty much what happens, esp if he knows I'm getting frustrated). It is Very Important to him that he pleases me, but with dogs who are less sensitive about that I can understand using things like verbal corrections. I used to use them with him before he had bonded to me and he was fine (and he still is in certain situations), but he tends to find them much more aversive now.

I just wanted to ramble on.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Fraction posted:

I don't use verbal corrections with my dog. :smug:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Topoisomerase posted:

I don't use verbal corrections with my dog. :smug:

If my dog was deaf I'd just flip it off when it was bad.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Refurb made the front page of imgur today and I've had a couple PMs saying "HI FROM PI!!" so just wanted to stick my head in and say that you guys rule.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Superconsndar posted:

Or you could teach it to lip read so when you said "gently caress you" to it, it understood what you meant.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Remember how I got a new awesome chair and Sadie gave it an inspection and someone joked that I got her a chair?

Welp.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
I have a couple questions for you guys... Refurb's getting kinda fat. The vet warned me that might happen, since she can't exercise as much as normal cats. I get her to chase the laser pointer sometimes but she doesn't really chase it too much before she gets tired and prefers to play with her non-moving toys that she doesn't have to run after.

What's the best way to keep her from getting too fat? She's only a bit pudgy but I want to keep her weight in check early. Do I just feed her less each meal?

Second question: how long should I keep feeding her kitten food before switching her to adult? I completely forgot to ask my vet, but maybe you guys can ballpark it for me... a year old? Sooner?

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Golden-i posted:

I have a couple questions for you guys... Refurb's getting kinda fat. The vet warned me that might happen, since she can't exercise as much as normal cats. I get her to chase the laser pointer sometimes but she doesn't really chase it too much before she gets tired and prefers to play with her non-moving toys that she doesn't have to run after.

What's the best way to keep her from getting too fat? She's only a bit pudgy but I want to keep her weight in check early. Do I just feed her less each meal?

Second question: how long should I keep feeding her kitten food before switching her to adult? I completely forgot to ask my vet, but maybe you guys can ballpark it for me... a year old? Sooner?

If she's getting fat it's probably time to switch from kitten food. Weigh weekly, adjust food in SMALL increments to shift weight. Just be sensible and practical about it, it's not rocket science. Good luck and sorry about your fat cat.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
That makes sense, I guess. I've never had anything to do with anything younger than several years-old cats before so kittens are new to me. I didn't want to swap her over and suddenly OH GOD I BROKE MY KITTEN SHE'S MENTALLY DEFICIENT BECAUSE I STARTED ADULT FOOD AT EIGHT MONTHS INSTEAD OF TWELVE!

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

I want Refurb and Sadie.

Artie got murder screamed at/jumped on by my partners friends untrained Border Collie today :-( Last week a border took a huge chunk out of his fur but that didn't bother him luckily.

Later on we became friends with a stunning sable German shepherd, Artie would have followed her around all day even if she did keep accidentally stepping on him :)

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

That's why he has all that fur, Zenith. It's a form of protection against cold and rear end in a top hat dogs. :v:

So I'm going to take him to petco tomorrow to get his nails did, and I'm thinking of picking up a harness for him. Any suggestions on harnesses?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pink, sparkly, skulls all over it. That, or that incredibly overly spiky thing I linked ages ago for Keeper.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Something you can attach fairy wings to.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Zenithbliss posted:

I want Refurb and Sadie.

[fluffpuppy]

Well if you are ever in Austin TX swing on by for a bit so you can meet her, if she decides to come out from under the bed because strangers are scary!

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Pink, sparkly, skulls all over it. That, or that incredibly overly spiky thing I linked ages ago for Keeper.

We got a spike collar for our GSD because we thought it would be funny to put such a badass thing on such a spoiled wussy dog.

We had to take it off because he would slam it into us when asking for pets. :saddowns:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Zenithbliss posted:

I want Refurb and Sadie.

Artie got murder screamed at/jumped on by my partners friends untrained Border Collie today :-( Last week a border took a huge chunk out of his fur but that didn't bother him luckily.

Later on we became friends with a stunning sable German shepherd, Artie would have followed her around all day even if she did keep accidentally stepping on him :)

That sable GSD looks so pretty! I don't think I've ever seen a sable irl. And boo for lovely border collies; there's plenty of crappy ones around here. You should take a trip up north for Artie/Kalli playdate :v:

Skizzles posted:

I think it really depends a lot on the dog, too. Shadow is a sensitive flower who does much better without aversives (though it's also important to note, of course, that it's up to the dog what he/she considers aversive). Even if I use a no-reward marker in a happy tone Shadow's world will crumble and he will think he is The Worst Dog and spiral into a tornado of terrified appeasement gestures (I am exaggerating a bit, of course, but that's pretty much what happens, esp if he knows I'm getting frustrated). It is Very Important to him that he pleases me, but with dogs who are less sensitive about that I can understand using things like verbal corrections. I used to use them with him before he had bonded to me and he was fine (and he still is in certain situations), but he tends to find them much more aversive now.

I just wanted to ramble on.

Lola is incredibly sensitive too. No reward markers during training slowly make her reluctant to offer behaviours, but a quick verbal correction has never caused a problem. For example: we were walking yesterday, she looked down to sniff (and probably eat) some food, I quietly said 'ah, ah' and she carried on walking instead, which got her praise. Usually she just walks past food without looking at it.

e:

Oh, England. Dog owners could be forced to tie up pets in case they bite a burglar. If this goes through without amendments, it'll be so amazingly British.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 8, 2013

Mutter
Nov 20, 2004
I can't even afford 10 fucking dollars.
I just had to share this! One of my foster kittens is warming up to people so very nicely.
I believe she's just over a week old now. Her name is Olive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeixAZeqnTA

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Whelp, I can add "vintage fur coat" to a list of things my rear end in a top hat cats have eaten :smith:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Abbeh posted:

Whelp, I can add "vintage fur coat" to a list of things my rear end in a top hat cats have eaten :smith:

How long have your cats been members of PETA?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Fraction posted:

That sable GSD looks so pretty! I don't think I've ever seen a sable irl. And boo for lovely border collies; there's plenty of crappy ones around here. You should take a trip up north for Artie/Kalli playdate :v:

Lola is incredibly sensitive too. No reward markers during training slowly make her reluctant to offer behaviours, but a quick verbal correction has never caused a problem. For example: we were walking yesterday, she looked down to sniff (and probably eat) some food, I quietly said 'ah, ah' and she carried on walking instead, which got her praise. Usually she just walks past food without looking at it.

e:

Oh, England. Dog owners could be forced to tie up pets in case they bite a burglar. If this goes through without amendments, it'll be so amazingly British.

Like, I dunno, shouldn't burglars just deal with getting bitten by a dog if they break into your house?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Superconsndar posted:

When she's really being a butt she pretends to be blind too. I use a light pinch if she's into something she shouldn't be. And she's really good at reading my facial expressions so I have to pretend to be mad sometimes even if the bad thing she is doing is funny which is actually pretty hard.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

wtftastic posted:

Like, I dunno, shouldn't burglars just deal with getting bitten by a dog if they break into your house?

The British Way is to offer a burglar tea, scones and compensation for a dog bite. :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wabznasm
Jul 19, 2006

Rof Rof
What the hell kind of burglar would go "Hey I was innocently burgling this guy's house when his DOG BIT ME! Arrest him immediately!"? It can't be a law that's policeable.

• Locked thread