Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
New member of the soccer mom society ...

'05 Magnum SXT with 64K on it...

drat it was hard finding one without a billion miles. Was pissed to find when I got it how that they cut up the original radio bezel to fit the aftermarket kenwood in there, AND they used weatherstripping adhesive to hold the trim ring on.

But its nice to be able to fit my MTB in the back and leave it there for days if I want any spontaneous after work bike rides..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Mighty Horse posted:

I hope you didn't get the 2.7... :ohdear:

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN
Sxt with SE/SRT lights swapped? I have an 06 SE 2.7 w/111k.

Left Ventricle posted:

I prefer it to a 3.5.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Left Ventricle posted:

Nope 3.5

Vigo327 posted:

Sxt with SE/SRT lights swapped? I have an 06 SE 2.7 w/111k.

I prefer it to a 3.5.

Hmm, I know by 04 the 2.7s problems had been pretty much fixed, but its a bit underpowered for a LX don't you think?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Mighty Horse posted:

Hmm, I know by 04 the 2.7s problems had been pretty much fixed, but its a bit underpowered for a LX don't you think?

Which is why I said that. 178 hp, even when it's backed up by a 3.55 rear end, is quite lazy for a nearly-two-ton car. That and it doesn't really get that much better fuel economy than the 3.5. fueleconomy.gov says the 2.7 supposedly gets one mile per gallon better. You get an extra 72 hp and about the same amount of torque, and in the real world, the 3.5 probably even gets better fuel economy, since it doesn't have to work as hard to lug around the same amount of weight.

An anecdote: my brother has a 1990 Cadillac Deville. The stock 4.5L PFI V8 died, so we swapped in a '94 4.9. The stock 4.5 got, according to the onboard computer, 15 mpg, no matter how he drove it. The 4.9 got 20-21, even with a marked increase in aggressive driving thanks to the extra power and torque.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011

Mighty Horse posted:

drat it was hard finding one without a billion miles. Was pissed to find when I got it how that they cut up the original radio bezel to fit the aftermarket kenwood in there, AND they used weatherstripping adhesive to hold the trim ring on.

But its nice to be able to fit my MTB in the back and leave it there for days if I want any spontaneous after work bike rides..

Sup SXT buddy :):respek::) sucks about the bezel my vents are all smashed up from the po.
I was surprised how quick the 3.5 is in the lx platform

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
Recently started this up again after 2-3 years of not being used.

1994 Verada (I think they're called Diamante in the US). Drives smooth but not so quickly which suits me. Not sure if I will re-register it or use it as a farm basher.

Always wanted something with wood panelling on the sides but that never really took off here so they're kind of impossible to find.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
Wife says, let's rent a UHaul van to take the banquette back. Rent? Why?

Need space? V70R has it. Need more? Put the rear seats down. Need another 6"? Remove the rear seats. Need max space? Fold the front seat down!

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

Mighty Horse posted:

Left Ventricle posted:

Which is why I said that. 178 hp, even when it's backed up by a 3.55 rear end, is quite lazy for a nearly-two-ton car. That and it doesn't really get that much better fuel economy than the 3.5. fueleconomy.gov says the 2.7 supposedly gets one mile per gallon better. You get an extra 72 hp and about the same amount of torque, and in the real world, the 3.5 probably even gets better fuel economy, since it doesn't have to work as hard to lug around the same amount of weight.

I thought the same thing when the 2.7s came out, before i owned one. I used to own a 3.5 Intrepid and trash talk the 2.7s in the 98-up ones for the same reason. I didnt drive one for a long time. I had a 2.7 Magnum as a rental in 2005 and liked it a WHOLE lot. They took it back and gave me a 2.0 caliber for a while after that, and while that thing might have a technically MUCH better power-to-weight ratio, it felt slower most of the time, and i hated it. Another case of 'actually driving something' changing preconceptions.

Even before i got my 2.7 Magnum i knew it was the only motor i wanted. The Hemi got crap mpg (keeping in mind my DD gets 48-50 and everything below mid-20s is total crap to me), and the 3.5 just felt exceedingly mediocre in that app. I liked the motor in my modded Intrepid (in fact, that motor is still sitting in my backyard..lol), but in the LX it felt nothing like that (different manifolds, cams, weight, gearing). To me, it doesnt feel .8L better than a 2.7 and the fact that it was a 'do-nothing-well' middle of the road kind of BLAH just turned me off to it. It doesn't feel remotely quick. The fact that it shares displacement with a vq35 reflects VERY badly on its performance. Im honestly still shocked people run 15s in them. I never ran my intrepid but it was a low 15/high 14 car if you extrapolate from all my street races. Felt better than the last car i owned that i ran a low 15 with at the track.

As for mpg, I dont drive mine much (fiancee took it over shortly after we got it, which i regret now), but when i drive it i avg 24 mpg. If i drive mostly highway i avg 26.0 on the nose. Im ok with the city mileage and disappointed in the highway mileage. What i really dont like about the 2.7 is the engine management tuning but that's a short essay i'll reserve unless prompted.

Vigo327 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 1, 2013

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

netwerk23 posted:

Need space? V70R has it. Need more? Put the rear seats down. Need another 6"? Remove the rear seats. Need max space? Fold the front seat down!
I miss my lolvo wagons.

There is a '06 manual transmission V70R with 25K miles on autotrader right now................asking $31,000!!!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Do the later Chrysler 2.7s have the problem with sludging?

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

angryrobots posted:

I miss my lolvo wagons.

There is a '06 manual transmission V70R with 25K miles on autotrader right now................asking $31,000!!!

Got my auto '98 V70R for $5.5k...wish I had an '05, but I'm pretty happy with it. Wish I had the money to dump 10k into it for upgrades but student loans don't pay themselves...

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

angryrobots posted:

I miss my lolvo wagons.

WTF? An '04 is on sale near me for less than $10. Higher miles but that's just ridiculous.
http://whitedogimports.com/vehicle/2004-Volvo-V70/93686/

e: to the questions that will inevitably coming: Yes I have gone and looked at it in person. :) I went there on a Saturday and no one was at the shop, otherwise I would've test driven it. How are these cars for reliability? Expensive to maintain?

angryhampster fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 3, 2013

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Less than 100k miles? If it mechanically checks out I'd jump on it. It's manual too...bet it rocks.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Oxphocker posted:

Less than 100k miles? If it mechanically checks out I'd jump on it. It's manual too...bet it rocks.

The interior was only in fair condition was the reason why I haven't gotten too excited about it. My last car had a few rough spots on the interior that constantly pissed me off.

Also am enjoying spending my money on other things right now..first time without a car payment in 3-4 years.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'd say $10K is a fair amount with a maintenance history and a GOOD interior, although personally I would call that an undesirable color. I have heard the AWD in some cars has issues, but I don't know specifically what they are. Obviously AWD is not what Volvo is known for.

Make sure there are no DTC set and the emissions cycle has been completed. Best way to know if the engine is operating normally (and alternatively, best way to know the dealer is resetting the computer to hide a problem). I bought a 850 Turbo with a misfire code, assuming it was ignition troubles, a few thousand miles later and full tune-up later it was the headgasket the whole time, juuuust beginning to let go when I bought it.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I'd avoid that car. The headlights and front bumper are from an S60, so it's probably been in an accident. Hard to say whether it was a salvage car that they decided to flip on the cheap or an oversight on the part of whoever repaired it, but either way it would make me worry about how the rest of the car was kept up.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

zundfolge posted:

I'd avoid that car. The headlights and front bumper are from an S60, so it's probably been in an accident. Hard to say whether it was a salvage car that they decided to flip on the cheap or an oversight on the part of whoever repaired it, but either way it would make me worry about how the rest of the car was kept up.

Interesting. Seems like a strange history given this dealer. They are very well-respected in the area for used Subarus, and used wagons of any type.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

netwerk23 posted:

These are the best Volvos. My mom has one (a regual V70 :( ) and the thing has a hilarious amount of room for poo poo. The R models are just fantastic looking.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I've started thinking about replacing my 10year old BMW 3 series wagon but I am very disappointed at the lack of RWD wagons available on the marketplace :(

Seems like there are the Cadillac CTSes or Mercedes and that's it! And those are pretty spendy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I fitted three lengths of 3m laminate worktop in my 99 v70 once, a bit of a hairy ride home because to see what was going on the other side of the worktop my little brother was riding in the back passenger seat telling me what was coming, whether it was safe to them etc.

Also the earlier (pre 2000) Volvo's awd was fragile, the later ones had haldex units rather than just viscous couplings, which cook if the tread wear isn't well matched.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

priznat posted:

I've started thinking about replacing my 10year old BMW 3 series wagon but I am very disappointed at the lack of RWD wagons available on the marketplace :(

Seems like there are the Cadillac CTSes or Mercedes and that's it! And those are pretty spendy.

Yeah, plus they're really luxury. I like nice features but luxury stuff just doesn't age well. I think I've decided on a Subaru wagon, if I ever get my 128i sold. It's a little smaller than what I really want, but oh well. I tested a Dodge Magnum but i thought it drove like a truck.

Volvo needs to come back to RWD, they just make the best wagons.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

angryrobots posted:

Yeah, plus they're really luxury. I like nice features but luxury stuff just doesn't age well. I think I've decided on a Subaru wagon, if I ever get my 128i sold. It's a little smaller than what I really want, but oh well. I tested a Dodge Magnum but i thought it drove like a truck.

Volvo needs to come back to RWD, they just make the best wagons.

Yeah I've been considering going for an AWD like a subaru or even one of the sportier crossovers. I really like the looks of the new Kia (!!) Sportage and with the turbo engine it could be fun. I have read it drives really nicely but I'd have to try one out. Probably too high for me though, centre of gravity wise.

I learned to drive on my folks' mid-80s Volvo 740 wagon and that thing was a frigging tank. Plus the amount of stuff you could fit in the back was legendary. I haven't been a huge fan of Volvos since their FWD switch though :( (The new ones are also pretty drat expensive now too)

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012

Previa_fun posted:

Do the later Chrysler 2.7s have the problem with sludging?

Not to my knowledge. I mean, the water pump is still inside the timing cover and any water pump is bound to fail eventually. But as for something endemic to that motor and enough worse than average to be worth talking about, no. They do suffer a lot from their ownership demographic. Even i, as a professional tech, have let mine go 10k+ between the last two oil changes. Inside of the engine still looks fine from what i can tell @ 110k.

V70R is probably the wagon id most like to own at this point. I got my mom an s80 a couple years ago and ive found it surprisingly not a bitch to work on or keep up with. If they made a 1g s80 wagon THAT would be my #1 most wanted wagon.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Vigo327 posted:

Not to my knowledge. I mean, the water pump is still inside the timing cover and any water pump is bound to fail eventually. But as for something endemic to that motor and enough worse than average to be worth talking about, no. They do suffer a lot from their ownership demographic. Even i, as a professional tech, have let mine go 10k+ between the last two oil changes. Inside of the engine still looks fine from what i can tell @ 110k.

V70R is probably the wagon id most like to own at this point. I got my mom an s80 a couple years ago and ive found it surprisingly not a bitch to work on or keep up with. If they made a 1g s80 wagon THAT would be my #1 most wanted wagon.

Was the V70R sold with a manual in the States or Canada?

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
I dont know Canada offhand but in the USA, yes you could get a 6spd manual.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

blk posted:

Was the V70R sold with a manual in the States or Canada?

In the last generation of it at least, yes but it is quite rare. I suppose that is why this guy that I mentioned above thinks his is worth $31K.

I'm not sure if the 1997-2000 version of the V70 was offered with a manual in anything but a FWD non-turbo from the the factory (in the United States), but I know there are several Turbo FWD cars with a manual swapped in.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
You could get the '98-'00 T5 model with a manual transmission from the factory, but very few were made. All of the R models from that generation were automatic. :sigh:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Speaking of v70r's......

2005 Volvo V70R - $15000 (North Seattle)

I really love the look of that body style. Am I the only one who is kinda weirded out by the shifter?

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Negromancer posted:

Speaking of v70r's......

I really love the look of that body style. Am I the only one who is kinda weirded out by the shifter?

Christ I'd buy that in a heartbeat if I were capable. That shifter is a manual, that's why it looks odd. That's pretty close to my dream car.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Oxphocker posted:

Christ I'd buy that in a heartbeat if I were capable. That shifter is a manual, that's why it looks odd. That's pretty close to my dream car.

Yea, I get that its a manual, I have just never seen another car with a plastic shifter "boot" thing or what ever you want to call it before. I tend to watch CL for v70r's and this is probably the first manual version I have seen in that body style.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

I spent the weekend breaking in a new set of Falkens in the mountains around Mt. Tam and Skyline Drive. The new rubber combined with the Bilstein HDs and Powerflex bushings means I can finally turn all the power from that V8 into speed in the turns instead of just a cacophony of noise and smoke. I managed to run down a GTR and a 911 Turbo on the roads up to Woodside where all the rich .com guys take their toys on the weekends and trust me, it wasn't for lack of their trying. Now I'm off to Costco with the wife. I loving love this car.

James Woods fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 7, 2013

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Negromancer posted:

Speaking of v70r's......

I'm not that familiar with modern Volvo's - where does 110k fall in the lifespan, and what tends to become trouble around then?

These things really seem to have held their value.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

100k is break-in for most Volvos...most of them that are taken care of can go past 300k no problem.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

James Woods posted:

I spent the weekend breaking in a new set of Falkens in the mountains around Mt. Tam and Skyline Drive. The new rubber combined with the Bilstein HDs and Powerflex bushings means I can finally turn all the power from that V8 into speed in the turns instead of just a cacophony of noise and smoke. I managed to run down a GTR and a 911 Turbo on the roads up to Woodside where all the rich .com guys take their toys on the weekends and trust me, it wasn't for lack of their trying. Now I'm off to Costco with the wife. I loving love this car.

PLEASE tell me that is sporting an M5 swap...

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

GramCracker posted:

PLEASE tell me that is sporting an M5 swap...

Sadly not yet, just a well maintained M62TUB44. I am keeping my eye out for a S62 and Getrag Type D to do just that but that will have to wait for a while as I have four maybe going on five other cars I'm building and this is my reliable DD/work vehicle. There is however a sale on blocks at the Pick N Pull going on this weekend and I'll be keeping my eye out for a M73 because I've been wanting to rebuild a V12 to put into something...

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Vigo327 posted:

I dont know Canada offhand but in the USA, yes you could get a 6spd manual.

Yes, but it was a special-order only. That's what my dealer told me.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

angryrobots posted:

I miss my lolvo wagons.

He's actually asking $32,000! ($31,999). That is outrageous even with the low mileage. Maybe in 2008 or 2009 it'd be worth that. But yeah. It's not even one of the special weird colors.

The 04-07 R models are fairly expensive to maintain if you push it at all. They have very expensive shocks ($250 a corner) that cannot be substituted with aftermarket (unless you want a permanent CEL and failure message). The angle gear (transfer case if you will) that directs power to the back wheels is prone to leaking and if you don't pull it to get it resealed ($300) it will fail ($1500), and there is a coupling sleeve between the transmission and angle gear that is also highly prone to failure, and if it isn't replaced as a routine maintenance item it will weld itself to the transmission and force the entire transmission to be replaced. The early manual slave cylinders were prone to failure in under 50k miles but that's been revised with a more robust design, so most that have been repaired are repaired for good. Other than that the leather is extremely high quality but much more fragile, and must be maintained religiously.

Basically they have a few $2000 repairs that occur far more frequently than on any other Volvo but if you plan for it and work with it they are a real blast, and a fairly special car. Most of those repairs will only occur once during any one person's ownership. The 6 speed manual is not anywhere near as hard to find as it is on other Volvo models. The prices are coming down but if you don't have maintenance records then prepare yourself for a few very expensive bills.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

James Woods posted:

Sadly not yet, just a well maintained M62TUB44. I am keeping my eye out for a S62 and Getrag Type D to do just that but that will have to wait for a while as I have four maybe going on five other cars I'm building and this is my reliable DD/work vehicle. There is however a sale on blocks at the Pick N Pull going on this weekend and I'll be keeping my eye out for a M73 because I've been wanting to rebuild a V12 to put into something...

I approve of every bit of this post. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012

Negromancer posted:

I have just never seen another car with a plastic shifter "boot" thing or what ever you want to call it before.

I for one have become acquainted with this on arcade-style joysticks and see no problem with it in a car.

• Locked thread