Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Gyges posted:

Didn't he do a Naruto one shot that was different than the series?

Doing a one shot and then later adapting it into a series is a common thing, look at Romance Dawn for another example. If I remember right, Beelzebub doesn't even cover how Oga finds baby Beel in the actual run, it's only in the one shot and he just recounts it as a brief two/three panel flashback or something in the first chapter. Could be wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Huh, wasn't that one shot something he made years ago?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Gyges posted:

Didn't he do a Naruto one shot that was different than the series?

Naruto's one shot was about a biker-ninja in a modern world, who was an outcast partially due to being a 'bad boy'.

Like, that's all I remember about it. Biker gang ninja, with a cool Harley, or some poo poo.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://www.mangapanda.com/mario/1

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

KittyEmpress posted:

Naruto's one shot was about a biker-ninja in a modern world, who was an outcast partially due to being a 'bad boy'.

Like, that's all I remember about it. Biker gang ninja, with a cool Harley, or some poo poo.

Not even a ninja. Just a fox pretending to be human, on a quest to find friends. One can only wonder how the Sasuke analogue would have worked had he stuck to the original premise.

The mafia one-shot still felt pretty rough to me, but I don't know if he updated his original manuscript for it or not. Reminds me of the Zabuza Arc though, tone-wise anyways.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

...Wow. This really isn't a shonen manga, is it? It kind of feels like Kishimoto is shouting, "Look how edgy I can be!" Killing off the eponymous character in what I'd assumed was intended as a pilot was a kind of clever twist, though.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 30, 2013

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Allarion posted:

Not even a ninja. Just a fox pretending to be human, on a quest to find friends. One can only wonder how the Sasuke analogue would have worked had he stuck to the original premise.

A snake pretending to be human, on a quest to pretend to want friends so that he can eat them. Naruto would win him over with the power of friendship, while at the same time saving Sakura the useless rabbit from being eaten due to her infatuation!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That wasn't that good. Kishi should stick to shounen. This just scream I"m edgy all over

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

I remember this '98 version of the Mario sketch from one of my early Naruto volumes. You can really see the Katsuhiro Otomo influence in that image.

onii
Jan 12, 2005
It just seemed like really generic mafia poo poo that we've already seen in countless mafia movies. Character development wasn't that great either. And the random suicide at the end was weird. Like, he saves the cute girl (who seems to like him back) but then he's like "gently caress it" and shoots himself? Wow, what a twist. :ughh: Yeah, stick to shounen.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Silver2195 posted:

...Wow. This really isn't a shonen manga, is it? It kind of feels like Kishimoto is shouting, "Look how edgy I can be!" Killing off the eponymous character in what I'd assumed was intended as a pilot was a kind of clever twist, though.

Shindragon posted:

That wasn't that good. Kishi should stick to shounen. This just scream I"m edgy all over

onii posted:

It just seemed like really generic mafia poo poo that we've already seen in countless mafia movies. Character development wasn't that great either. And the random suicide at the end was weird. Like, he saves the cute girl (who seems to like him back) but then he's like "gently caress it" and shoots himself? Wow, what a twist. :ughh: Yeah, stick to shounen.

Guys. He wrote this story 15 years ago. There is probably poo poo that you wrote that long ago that isn't of the highest quality.

He's only just now drawing it.

I like the Idea and the setting. I don't know if Kishimoto could pull it off in a serialized format, but I still liked it.

And this still is very much Shonen, Young to Teenage Boys are the types that would eat that style of manga up. It's not really any heavier than poo poo that has happened in Naruto, only difference is that the setting is more grounded.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 30, 2013

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Dexo posted:

Guys. He wrote this story 15 years ago.
Then he should probably edit the story before he draws it now? :p

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Okay, I want in too. How about: a manga about the Early 20th-century Göttingen school of mathematics where Göttingen is actually in Tokyo, Ackermann is 3/4-Japanese and knows Samurai techniques passed down his clan for centuries, Noether is a dark and troubled beauty with some ludicrously improbable skill and she's angry all the time and no one knows why, John Von Neumann is a hot-blooded smartalec with an insufferable overplayed devil-may-care attitude that you're supposed to be impressed by and serves to conceal that fact that he's an ultimate badass who always thinks 70 moves ahead, and David Hilbert is a perverted old alcoholic. Also everyone is an orphan.

When the merchandise from this stops being popular, we do the same thing with Amino Acids (Serine can be a haughty bleach-blonde as opposed to Phenylalanine who's a 'cool loser' addicted to diet coke), and then I suppose if we run out of ideas and push comes to shove we can do it with something really, really questionable, like I dunno, WWII axis powers

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Hmm? Vincent van Gogh fuck myself?
Survey says?

Is this on break again? I can't find anything about any releases for this or Bleach this week.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Bisse posted:

Then he should probably edit the story before he draws it now? :p

Why? It's fine.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CanUSayGym posted:

Is this on break again? I can't find anything about any releases for this or Bleach this week.

It's golden week.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Don't tell me this week is golden week too?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mangastream said it's due out tomorrow, if I recall correctly.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, the Bleach spoilers were out last night, so if that's any indication, Jump will be pushing out a new issue this week.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Do will it be a double length chapter or was that something else?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Do will it be a double length chapter or was that something else?

Apparently One Punch Man is supposed to have 100 pages for the next chapter. Other than that, double issues usually just mean that they print the same chapter two weeks in a row.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Gyges posted:

Apparently One Punch Man is supposed to have 100 pages for the next chapter. Other than that, double issues usually just mean that they print the same chapter two weeks in a row.

:stare::circlefap:

that sounds amazing

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gyges posted:

Gonna need a 20 min soundtrack to synch the gif of this to.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Gyges posted:

Apparently One Punch Man is supposed to have 100 pages for the next chapter.

WHAT, get the gently caress out of here.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Doflamingo posted:

WHAT, get the gently caress out of here.

Murata is crazy awesome like that, man.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Gyges posted:

Murata is crazy awesome like that, man.

Not being restricted by actual printing concerns helps. It's always cool to see people who do webcomics move away from the genre conventions that have sprung up due to physical limitations. Panel layouts, use of panels at all, using animation, page limits, all that cool poo poo.

Plus, y'know, Murata is the God of Comics

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Chapter is out, here. Still no sign of the previous Hokages but we do finally get the back story on Rin

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Figures her death would involve a tailed beast. Who called it?

E: I fuckin' knew it. That whole thing with Naruto and the beasts was leading up to some poo poo having to do with the Sage.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 8, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Kishimito is throwing subtlety out of the window, isn't he?

The Atomic Cloud and Naruto giving the same vibe of the Sage to the Juubi

That being said, I really liked the backstory.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

I love mangapanda sometimes. :allears:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

So is that fistbump Naruto had with all the tailed beasts going to come into play now, and Kurama will become another Juubi? The panel with all the tailed beasts centered around Naruto, and then the rinnegan eyes above Naruto int he next panel, are suggestive.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
I was only kidding when I thought Naruto would get a Rinnegan Kishimoto. You didn't have to allude to it being a real thing. The series is going to end with Naruto getting an Eternal Mangekyo from Sasuke before he dies, his own Rinnegan and having a baby with Hinata just so you can throw a Byakugan on the eye hax sundae.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://mangastream.com/read/naruto/97419142/1

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Man poor Kakashi people seem to have a habit of jumping in the middle of his raikiri.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
So much for subtlety.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
That Rin reveal is pretty dumb. Not only is the other village's plan dumb, Rin's suicide by ninja is dumb. It's all so dumb.

So at that time either the 4th was Hokage, or the 3rd was called out of retirement. Either way the other village knew that Konoha had control of the 9 tails, so how is popping the 3 tails into a Konoha ninja even approaching a good idea? Konoha not only has a trump demon, but clearly one of the most stable demon sealing methods, so you go ahead and potentially hand them another ninja "nuke"? Then Rin goes and commits pointless suicide when either Konoha has a live adult jinkuuriki to help her out, along with several seal masters, or simply several top notch seal masters with a history of jinkuuriki containment.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I've never noticed the movement in your octopus' eye before Gyges but it really fits the post you just made.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I remain pleased by how consistent Obito's motivations are.

The Naruto/Sage of Six Paths thing has been heavily foreshadowed by every aspect of his design since forever, though I doubt he'll get a rinnegan, the rinnegan image was just the show a solid link between him and the Sage, and his Rinnegan is the only defining feature he has aside from his outline.

I am unsure on the timeline of the Three Tails here. This thing with Rin clearly takes place when Obito is still recovering from his injuries, right? So it's before he begins to manipulate the Fourth Mizukage. (I think this is too early for Minato to be the Fourth Hokage, he was only hokage for a short while, I think, though it hardly invalidates anything you said, Gyges). The Fourth Mizukage was the three Tails Jinnchuriki, right? When a Jinchuuriki dies, the Tailed beast just disappears for a while before resurfacing, we know this. So, what did the Three Tails get loose, the Mist recaptured it, sealed it inside Yagura only for HIM to die and then get loose AGAIN? Are the Mist really that incompetent when it comes to keeping hold of their Tailed Beasts?

Edit: Also, we can see Shukaku in naruto's aura there, when he only got chakra from tailed beasts 2-7, MY IMMERSION.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 8, 2013

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Prison Warden posted:

So, what did the Three Tails get loose, the Mist recaptured it, sealed it inside Yagura only for HIM to die and then get loose AGAIN? Are the Mist really that incompetent when it comes to keeping hold of their Tailed Beasts?

Your timeline seems right. It should be noted though that we don't know how Yagura died. We just know that by the time of the time skip, the Sanbi was free again. Perhaps the Fifth Mizukage killed him, one of the coup ninja like Zabuza did or Obito ended up doing it. So it may not have been a matter of incompetence that they lost control again. (Though not noticing your Mizukage is being controlled by someone else points to that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaCharger
Jul 12, 2006
Animate
When are the hokages gonna show up? I'm kind of bored of Naruto repeatedly protecting everyone.

• Locked thread