Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Japanese speaking goons, mail this person and do the drat translation. :(

I'm trying to get my friend into Elona over Skype.

"Do I want to be a warrior or a PREDATOR?"
"Why does this cave have a gun-wielding punk in it?"
"I think my little girl died."
"I'm broke and blinded and using a cursed weapon."
"I keep losing all my money because people steal it."
"I'm trying to find the priest now."
"2500 gold?!"
"Maybe I'll start again."

:allears:

e:

quote:

Welp, i just prostituted myself to a cat thing for 121 gold
At the temple
I went there to sacrifice corpses
And a twintail got drunk
And i could offer it sex

I usually get like at least a grand. His char must be ugly. :colbert:

Corridor fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybro
Nov 12, 2011

Looking for strong men to discover what's under the helmet.
Just as an addendum to that dojo explanation post. I combed through it and there are 4 small medals to be found there: One in the middle bridge NW, one in the small house to the left near the beds, one in the middle of the sand area and one right below the trainer, I suppose you could use a rod of teleportation to get her out of the way but I didn't try it.

It isn't much but if you are starved for small medals or are just passing by and want easy ones that's something to consider.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Tithin Melias posted:

Is it worthwhile to play the base game without elona+ ? Does it look like it'll get translated at some point in the near future?

Play Elona+. It's literally the english version of Elona with more and better stuff tacked on, including important mechanical changes, but most of the new stuff is untranslated. It is exactly what the name would imply.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

I don't think any translation is happening though. v:shobon:v

Corridor posted:

Japanese speaking goons, mail this person and do the drat translation. :(

I've been thinking about translating Elona+, actually. I have little doubt that translating it is within my abilities, and I've been looking for something to translate recently. While I do have a little experience translating, I've also never taken on a project bigger than a season of a television show, so I'm worried that I'll be getting in over my head as far as sheer size goes. The technical side of things is also a little worrying; while I'm certainly no novice with computers, I've never done anything like making a translation patch for a game, so I'd probably need a lot of help with the hacking side of things.

Before any of that can even start, though, I'd like to get in contact with the developers of Elona+. I plan on doing so sometime soon, when I'm not busy doing stupid stuff like Bringing An End to Vernis.
I just hope that no one gets their hopes up. :ohdear:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Spoggerific posted:

I've been thinking about translating Elona+, actually. I have little doubt that translating it is within my abilities, and I've been looking for something to translate recently. While I do have a little experience translating, I've also never taken on a project bigger than a season of a television show, so I'm worried that I'll be getting in over my head as far as sheer size goes. The technical side of things is also a little worrying; while I'm certainly no novice with computers, I've never done anything like making a translation patch for a game, so I'd probably need a lot of help with the hacking side of things.

Before any of that can even start, though, I'd like to get in contact with the developers of Elona+. I plan on doing so sometime soon, when I'm not busy doing stupid stuff like Bringing An End to Vernis.
I just hope that no one gets their hopes up. :ohdear:

It looks like you just have to stick the translation in some text files I'm having trouble finding. The translated ones that come with the game imply that newer content is pulled from a wiki somewhere.

There's some chatter about the translation on the bottom of this page on the Japanese Elona+ wiki, maybe you can offer your services there.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 7, 2013

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

:allears: Oh, Elona.

Went to Noyel, told my bell to wait at the town. Made a save, then I commenced the following:

I unleashed the fire giant and ran like hell, pushing my way through the swarm of villagers who ran to kill Ebon. I watched as most were turned into red smears on the ground... except for one. Valiantly chucking shruiken with skill I've not seen, the baker tanked the fire giant. He dodged, he threw, he danced out of the way of fires. It was amazing. He kited him over to the far corner of the village by the holy well, perhaps hoping that it would grant him favor and help him extinguish the giant. Then he got desperate. He used a rod of Summon Monsters and around him appeared a t-rex, who promptly ate him, followed by a xenomorph. The xenomorph immediately jumped down the t-rex's gullet and caused it to explode into an alien child, who then latched onto the closest thing- Ebon. There was no one else alive and fearing that the town of Noyel would be an alien hive for the rest of the game, I panicked and threw a bottle of dye at the giant. He patted his stomach uneasily as I took aim. "I'm going to have a baby," he said. Then the dye hit him. The alien melted, but I ended up burned alive.

ELONA.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Attention all casters: the tonfa artifacts don't apply the shield penalty to casting. Buy the loving shield tonfa, it will save your rear end.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The line about pets dying in the dojo is just for incidental damage rather than anything the dojo itself does. In fact, while they're in there, pets get a health boost.

It's pretty succintly: 10k gold to leave a pet there, 10k+30k per pet to train all of their skills. Note that it doesn't train stats, it's just replicating the 'potential of all your skills increases' dream.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Roobanguy posted:

IVAN is actually pretty easy to learn, but it's not like learning the mechanics for it is ever going to make you win.

I consider IVAN difficult to learn since you spend so much time starting over. Same thing with Crawl and Nethack to a degree. Elona is just as if not more complex than two out of three of these games at least but you can spend more time loving around with the various systems rather than trying something and getting killed because of it, just to have to start all over from square one. In Elona you can gently caress around almost as much as you want, there are few things around that can permanently screw a character. This makes the more arcane aspects of its systems easier to investigate.

Yeah vanilla IVAN also has that absolutely outrageous scaling thing going on and it's only theoretically possible to win, not humanly, because of that fact. But it's an entirely different issue.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I thought the trick to IVAN was to undergear as much as possible and use cheese to win? Never played it.

Thanks to everyone who posted those moongate locales with tons of gold, think I've spent 40+ million on weapon/armour upgrades, leveling up the monster ball dude and other misc things. Still need a ton more though. :)

quote:

Attention all casters: the tonfa artifacts don't apply the shield penalty to casting. Buy the loving shield tonfa, it will save your rear end.
I figured it would but thanks for testing, still using the shield of thorn atm though as it has ##### nerve resist and blocks paralysis. Only losing 6% spell chance with it.

How does spell failure really work? I seem to be hard capped at 80% success rate which is fine as I'm only leveling spells to actually level and get feats, but it'd be nice to know if I jack up my armour/casting/riding skill enough I could get to 100%.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Woden posted:

How does spell failure really work? I seem to be hard capped at 80% success rate which is fine as I'm only leveling spells to actually level and get feats, but it'd be nice to know if I jack up my armour/casting/riding skill enough I could get to 100%.

You die. Via headplosion. After having all your mana drained first or crit failing on casting a spell.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Some armor materials (most metals) will lower both your spellcasting success rate and your max success rate.

Same goes for wearing shields.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Woden posted:

I thought the trick to IVAN was to undergear as much as possible and use cheese to win? Never played it.

There are multiple tricks to fooling the scaling. Enemies are generated when you go down stairs and it takes into account the stuff you have equipped as well as your stats and any crazy diamond limbs you have. poo poo is BALLS hard so obviously you want the best stuff, so you remove all your EQ going down stairs, for example. You'll still get randomly OOD poo poo spawning and horribly deadly/invincible uniques though. Unless you have seriously cheesed every system in the game the only option is to run from those.

I've gotten the easiest ending. :downs: I simply don't have the patience to abuse literally every mechanic in the game, which is what it takes to get the harder ones.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Woden posted:

Are you keeping your equipped item weight under 15s? Medium or Heavy armor weight gives you a penalty to casting, much like using a shield, that hard caps your casting success. Light armor is the only armor for spellcasters.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
what does hardening weapons/armor actually do? does it just add PV?

Woden
May 6, 2006
Pretty sure it ups you to hit, not sure on damage though as I wasn't paying attention before buffing everything.

Prot and evade will go up on armours, evade went up a poo poo load for me sitting at 661% with everything at +10.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Are you keeping your equipped item weight under 15s? Medium or Heavy armor weight gives you a penalty to casting, much like using a shield, that hard caps your casting success. Light armor is the only armor for spellcasters.

At 20 weight, dual wielding, riding a monster and have a shield. So yeah, doing all the wrong things. Still, can get spells to 80% success was just wondering what was hard capping me is all.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Woden posted:

Pretty sure it ups you to hit, not sure on damage though as I wasn't paying attention before buffing everything.

Prot and evade will go up on armours, evade went up a poo poo load for me sitting at 661% with everything at +10.

At 20 weight, dual wielding, riding a monster and have a shield. So yeah, doing all the wrong things. Still, can get spells to 80% success was just wondering what was hard capping me is all.

From what I remember, 80% is the max chance for a level 1 spell. The rest of the bonus has to come form leveling up the spell itself? This is a newish thing I think.

Also for the dude asking about what spell failure actually does? You just lose the mana you tried to spend, and the spell stocks that would have been used to cast the spell, and nothing happens. So it's just like you cast the spell, except your casting doesn't level, and you get no effect.

The headsplosion someone else mentioned was for over-cast, which is when you try to cast without the mana to cover the cost. Then you still cast, but lose hps based on how much mana you overspent. This is how literacy can kill you - one of the effects of reading a hard book is to drain 100% of your mana, which acts like casting a spell for all your mana. So if that happens twice close together, your character overcasts a spell for all their mana, which makes you explode.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Stuff that drops casting success rate:
- Equipment weight >= 15s (penalty reduced with Mediun/Heavy Armour skill)
- Wielding shields
- Riding

Also success is capped at 90% and the last 10% comes from levelling the spell itself.

In all honestly any spell that isn't a buff or heal gets useless pretty quickly, unless you're a crazy person that just grinds for a billion years.

Reallycoolname fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 7, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I wouldn't call 300-500 damage attack spells at level 35 useless. Once you get a sandbag and the magic guild you can build up your spell levels with no real limit and you're guaranteed to get a staff that boosts the hell out of your spell damage in one of the story dungeons.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

I wouldn't call 300-500 damage attack spells at level 35 useless. Once you get a sandbag and the magic guild you can build up your spell levels with no real limit and you're guaranteed to get a staff that boosts the hell out of your spell damage in one of the story dungeons.

I'm thinking more of the bit where bosses start resisting everything that isn't the wrath of god, but maybe that's just my vanilla Elona experience haunting me.

Although it's true that spells never miss, so there's always that going for casting.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Reallycoolname posted:

I'm thinking more of the bit where bosses start resisting everything that isn't the wrath of god, but maybe that's just my vanilla Elona experience haunting me.

Although it's true that spells never miss, so there's always that going for casting.

Have you tried out Nightmare + Nerve Eye/Arrow? I haven't ground it up yet, but apparently Nightmare makes anything that isn't straight up immune take decent damage.

Woden
May 6, 2006
According to the wiki 90% is the cap, then you need to level the actual spells to get to 100% with each spell level adding 1%. The things that don't make sense to me are what lowers your % and which of those lower it permanently(and by how much).

Riding will apparently lower it but if it's high enough go away as an issue, same with armour but not shields or dual weapons. Either the wiki is wrong or there's some strangeness going on as it says shields are a flat -12% but I only lose 6% from them so either the wiki is wrong or there's something strange going on. In any case how does spell failure really work. :p

Oh and maybe I'm misreading but you can still get spell xp from miscasts. So say I have 0% chance at casting domination but cast it anyway it'll still level up, that spell in particular actually seems to level faster than other spells as I think spells level faster when the spell point or spell stock cost is higher. If you really did mean the Casting skill then I'm not sure as I've never paid close enough attention to whether it levels on failed casts.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Devor posted:

Have you tried out Nightmare + Nerve Eye/Arrow? I haven't ground it up yet, but apparently Nightmare makes anything that isn't straight up immune take decent damage.

Element scar + lightning bolt does the same thing with slightly better dice per level, extra damage from Itzpalt's secret experience and element scar not only lasts really long but also stops the target from healing.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Playing this game for the first time, things are going generally well, but sometimes there are some obtuse aspects. For instance, I got sleepy, so I want to a bed and rested, but the status didn't go away, cue 15 minutes of scouring everything till I find the effects table on the wiki, it informs me that I need to have "need sleep" before I can sleep. The game's great fun, but boy is it pedantic sometimes.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Chakan posted:

Playing this game for the first time, things are going generally well, but sometimes there are some obtuse aspects. For instance, I got sleepy, so I want to a bed and rested, but the status didn't go away, cue 15 minutes of scouring everything till I find the effects table on the wiki, it informs me that I need to have "need sleep" before I can sleep. The game's great fun, but boy is it pedantic sometimes.

Are you playing Elona+?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Also, note that you can use beds (by hitting x and tabbing over to the Use column) that you are standing on to go to sleep. You need to be at least Sleepy for that, though. I've only ever had my character nod off while resting if he was in Need Sleep.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

This is the moongate destination with two kitty banks right at the entrance. The left one has 700m GP and the right one has ONE BILLION. Money is a complete non-issue for me right now.

Next order of business: Grind enough plat to buy riding, then get 3 blue capsules drugs and wait for the festival so I can recruit a motorbike in my party.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Chakan posted:

Sleeping

Resting isn't sleeping. Use the bed (with t or by pressing enter) when you're Sleepy or Need Sleep and you'll go to sleep. Resting is used to quickly recover stamina.

Moongating is for scrubs. Just completed the main quest without doing it once. :smug:

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Stelas posted:

Resting isn't sleeping. Use the bed (with t or by pressing enter) when you're Sleepy or Need Sleep and you'll go to sleep. Resting is used to quickly recover stamina.

I thought you had to rest while on a bed to get a chance of dozing off to sleep. I'm playing e+. I did sleep doing just that, so it's not really an issue now, but is there a way to force sleep?

The game is neat, though and I'll certainly stick with it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Chakan posted:

is there a way to force sleep?

Walk onto a bed while sleepy or need sleep, and press enter.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Chakan posted:

I thought you had to rest while on a bed to get a chance of dozing off to sleep. I'm playing e+. I did sleep doing just that, so it's not really an issue now, but is there a way to force sleep?

The game is neat, though and I'll certainly stick with it.

There are 3 sleepy levels:

Sleepy - You can 'use' a bed (Hit t while standing/holding one, select the bed)

Need Sleep - You can sleep using a bed like with Sleepy, but you can also 'Rest' (shift+r) three times in a row, in which case you can pass out anywhere. I think passing out like this does not use a bed if you're standing on it. You probably will get fewer nice dreams/effects.

Need Sleep! - Same as Need Sleep, but you have a chance to randomly pass out too.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Having a portable bed (sleeping bag, or preferrably an eastern bed) is an important item to have. In fact, there's a pretty long list of items I would say every character should have on them all the time, which is why you should really get weight lifting as your first gained skill if you didn't start with it.

This game has a lot of quirks. You're always able to correct for them later (you can very rarely gently caress something up forever, even whole towns will respawn eventually), but it does make your life easier if you know what to do already. I think that, at some point, I'll do some baby-step walkthrough of everything you can do in the early game to make your character grind as painlessly as possible. Every new Elona+ patch makes it a faster, too, including the 1.19 patch, so I don't mind starting a new character.

Bleu fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 7, 2013

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Akoogly Eyes posted:

This is the moongate destination with two kitty banks right at the entrance. The left one has 700m GP and the right one has ONE BILLION. Money is a complete non-issue for me right now.

I found this moongate and nabbed the 700million. My little girl stole the billion.

Gonna be some crazy goddamn skills on that kid :psyduck:

e: oh jesus I went into that moongate again and my money went negative and now I can't buy anything ever :stare:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 7, 2013

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Trying to play a performer but everyone and their mother is literally killing me with rocks. I picked up the horn in the cemetery east of Lumiest but have no idea how to raise performing other than dying every other day.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Angry Diplomat posted:

e: oh jesus I went into that moongate again and my money went negative and now I can't buy anything ever :stare:

Moongate griefing just entered a whole new universe.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Red Mundus posted:

Trying to play a performer but everyone and their mother is literally killing me with rocks. I picked up the horn in the cemetery east of Lumiest but have no idea how to raise performing other than dying every other day.

Do quests from the quest board to get platinum coins and use them to train at a trainer.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Reive posted:

Do quests from the quest board to get platinum coins and use them to train at a trainer.

Thanks!

For fucks sake I have another problem. My game glitched out and I accrued -37 karma out of nowhere. Anyway I can fix this or cheat it up back to 0? I basically cannot enter towns.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
where can I find moongates?

I found a few in town but now I see...pretty much none.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

Anyway I can fix this or cheat it up back to 0? I basically cannot enter towns.

Noyel church can help you reduce your karma to safe levels, and it's fairly easy to skim around the edge to get to it.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I found a few in town but now I see...pretty much none.

They're rare, and random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Red Mundus posted:

Thanks!

For fucks sake I have another problem. My game glitched out and I accrued -37 karma out of nowhere. Anyway I can fix this or cheat it up back to 0? I basically cannot enter towns.

Go to Derphy and do some quests there. When you're out of doable quests, go fart around somewhere like a low-level dungeon or the puppy cave for a little while, then go back.