Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I love the arcade trips when cute old people run the store :3:.

Fooley fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Random Stranger posted:

I am the one person who likes Phoenix. :negative:

Do people not like Phoenix? I was showing Doki Doki Panic to some people recently and it autoplayed afterward and we all enjoyed it, though it did seem easy for Arino.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

But we don't always disagree. We both love the next challenge! (It's not what you guys think it's going to be.)

Hi No Tori/ Pheonix is one of my favorite episodes too. I like the game and the challenge. The game was not to hard and only difficult when figuring out where to go. I played the game myself and eat it as well. Fun game to play.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

parasyte posted:

Do people not like Phoenix? I was showing Doki Doki Panic to some people recently and it autoplayed afterward and we all enjoyed it, though it did seem easy for Arino.

There's a sizable group out there that call it the worst challenge.

I suppose I should add, I have yet to find an episode where there's at least one person who loves it and at least one person who hates it. That seems right to me.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Random Stranger posted:

There's a sizable group out there that call it the worst challenge.

I suppose I should add, I have yet to find an episode where there's at least one person who loves it and at least one person who hates it. That seems right to me.

I watched Famicom Jump last night and that was way worse. The Tamage segment was boring as hell, too. I'll add that I just started watching recently so I haven't seen too many episodes yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I thought this was a fun episode. A lot of it was because Arino added a lot of personality. His 'rivalry' with the pink car was hilarious.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
My boyfriend and I just recently started watching GCCX, and I wanted to gush about how thankful we are for the translations. What an amazing effort for an amazing show. :swoon: Seriously, thanks so much Translation Team!

And because we got up to season seven (the latest episode we've seen is Clock Tower), we became aware of the GCCX game. I'm in the middle of it and I can't get over how goddamn cute and surprisingly fun it is. Although the "Americanization" of it is a bit of a turn-off... stuff like the announcer at the beginning mispronouncing Arino's name (Uh-Reno, Nevada) and the serious lack of ADs in the back of the Game Magazines make me sad, but I understand why those things happened.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

VoidBurger posted:

My boyfriend and I just recently started watching GCCX, and I wanted to gush about how thankful we are for the translations. What an amazing effort for an amazing show. :swoon: Seriously, thanks so much Translation Team!

And because we got up to season seven (the latest episode we've seen is Clock Tower), we became aware of the GCCX game. I'm in the middle of it and I can't get over how goddamn cute and surprisingly fun it is. Although the "Americanization" of it is a bit of a turn-off... stuff like the announcer at the beginning mispronouncing Arino's name (Uh-Reno, Nevada) and the serious lack of ADs in the back of the Game Magazines make me sad, but I understand why those things happened.

Just wait until season 10. There's a sequel. :v:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
There are worse-received challenges than Phoenix. I just like to make fun of Random Stranger for his unpopular pick. Also,

Arino interview from 2010 posted:

http://magabon.yomiuri.co.jp/special/voice/122_02.html

Are there any game endings that left an impression on you?

That would be "Phoenix." It's a game based on the Osamu Tezuka comic. Our writer Kibe said "it has a wonderful ending so you must play this." None of the other staff knew it so they were skeptical, but he kept insisting "the ending alone is worth it; if anything, we should show it for the ending, not the game!" And so I played it, but despite his claims that "the imagery is amazing!", it wasn't amazing at all (laughs). It's only amazing for the NES era. The Phoenix came out, flew away and went home. With really rough graphics (laughs). Everyone was like, "what was up with that ending?!" and ever since then, Kibe's suggestions have been a tough sell (laughs).

And then the staff mockingly called Kibe "Phoenix" for months.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
I'm surprised Battle Golfer Yui wasn't the worst received, that ending was terrible

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

bpc908 posted:

I'm surprised Battle Golfer Yui wasn't the worst received, that ending was terrible

But that's half the reason it's a good episode.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bpc908 posted:

The staff selected that as one of the season's greatest moments. And then they did it again because it was so crazy!

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013
Fun Fact: Battle Golfer Yui has become a staple of our local gaming nights ever since we screened the episode. We also proudly display the game in our case of oddities and rarities.

Maybe i should screen Phoenix next, and film the reaction just to hurt Random's feelings some more :devil:

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I love Battle Golfer Yui simply because it's so batshit insane and makes no sense. A golf RPG with anime girls being turned into lethal assassin golfers who have golf matches against Kamen Rider or something and then that ending happens. And in between Arino somehow figures out how to manipulate the AI into giving up while simultaneously getting good at the game.

Even when all we had was the KOTAK dub I thought it was great. :shobon: Different strokes for different folks.

Thanks for the new episode, guys! I can't wait for part 2.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Battle Golfer Yui is absolutely my favorite episode forever simply because Arino gets really good at it. He has never been that good at any other challenge, ever.

I don't know if it's because the game is just really easy or if he found his One Game, but I get so happy watching Arino just enjoy himself and actually greatly succeeding for once. :3:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is that a DVD only challenge? I don't think I've seen it

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Humongous Pear posted:

I love Battle Golfer Yui simply because it's so batshit insane and makes no sense. A golf RPG with anime girls being turned into lethal assassin golfers who have golf matches against Kamen Rider or something and then that ending happens.

Really I enjoy the premise of the entire game, the adventure segments, the presentation, melding two genres like that -- everything but the ending. That was just unsatisfying insanity.

SuperMarrio
Mar 26, 2005

Those who live by capitalism must be prepared to die by it.

KimT posted:

Is that a DVD only challenge? I don't think I've seen it

I've only ever seen the KOTAK version myself. Was there ever an un-KOTAK-ed version of this floating around?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SuperMarrio posted:

I've only ever seen the KOTAK version myself. Was there ever an un-KOTAK-ed version of this floating around?

Yes, like all the Kotaku licensed episodes it's on the Discotek DVD.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Is the Battle Golfer ending really the only ending it has? It seems like its just a bad ending for like not getting a low enough golf score or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JDRockefeller posted:

Is the Battle Golfer ending really the only ending it has? It seems like its just a bad ending for like not getting a low enough golf score or something.

There are two endings. Arino got both.

SuperMarrio
Mar 26, 2005

Those who live by capitalism must be prepared to die by it.

Random Stranger posted:

Yes, like all the Kotaku licensed episodes it's on the Discotek DVD.

Ah, right- I keep getting this whole thing messed up in my head. I gotta pick up that set.

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

SuperMarrio posted:

Ah, right- I keep getting this whole thing messed up in my head. I gotta pick up that set.

It's on sale right now on Right Stuf. $36. Everyone should go pick up a copy!

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Does anyone know of where I can get a download of the raw for the 2 Metro Cross episodes(154-155). I have them each as 9 seperate FLV files. Can anyone tell me a good piece of software I can use to splice the videos together into 1 big video.

RedFive
Feb 20, 2003

Thank you for the F-Zero challenge!!

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

joek0 posted:

Does anyone know of where I can get a download of the raw for the 2 Metro Cross episodes(154-155). I have them each as 9 seperate FLV files. Can anyone tell me a good piece of software I can use to splice the videos together into 1 big video.

You could use one of the various video download plugins on Firefox, and get it from somewhere like Youku.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTEyODEwMjYw.html

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

AzraelDarkheart posted:

You could use one of the various video download plugins on Firefox, and get it from somewhere like Youku.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTEyODEwMjYw.html

Youku is where I got the videos into several smaller videos. I need to know how to splice videos together.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Will Pink Grandma finally fall? Will Takahashi finally be seen without a cardigan? Will Baby Squirrel finally show her face? Will Arino finally show you his moves? Find out in this thrilling final chapter in the F-Zero saga!

Download torrent81 (1 files; 564.99 MB)
View torrent stats

https://www.depositfiles.com/files/pkix5msh5

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Thanks for releasing it so quickly, I don't like watching GCCX cliffhangers so I had to wait! :shobon:

Man I hardly ever comment on custom titles but can't you do something about yours?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Katana Gomai posted:

Thanks for releasing it so quickly, I don't like watching GCCX cliffhangers so I had to wait! :shobon:

Man I hardly ever comment on custom titles but can't you do something about yours?

He already had, actually, I believe this is the second time it's been changed in a very short amount of time.

Anyway thank you for the quick two-parter, I now have something to watch before I doze off and shortly I will have something to enjoy tomorrow morning, nothing like some GCCX to set the mood for a good day.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Man, there's a 2nd GIG pose for EVERYTHING.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

kirbysuperstar posted:

Is that supposed to be Kibe as Batou?

I just realized that Psycho Pass ripped off the 2nd Gig pose too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Is there one for The Usual Suspects?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That Puff Puff scene was great.
I wonder when exactly they first revealed the puff puff to be what it is in Dragon Quest 8. It's rubbing two slimes against your head in that one.

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

HoneyBoy posted:

He already had, actually, I believe this is the second time it's been changed in a very short amount of time.

Yeah. I already went changed it. I got a three day probation, and as soon as that was over, BAM! Another new title and the same avatar. I get the feeling someone out there has it out for me.

Thanks for the release of the second F-Zero episode! Gonna start watching the first one now while I wait for the second one to download (I wanted to wait until both were out -- I hate cliffhangers).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

AzraelDarkheart posted:

(I wanted to wait until both were out -- I hate cliffhangers).

We don't release the first part of a challenge until the whole thing is done. That way nothing can go wrong and there aren't any weeks long cliffhangers.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013
I have just 2 words for that wonderful episode: Puff Puff. I seriously fell out of my chair.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Is that supposed to be Kibe as Batou?

That's actually Sasano.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Random Stranger posted:

Whoa, whoa whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.... whoa.... whoa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSr49hnwU7I

Whoa whoa whoa... Whoa? People dont like Pheonix? That was one of my favorite eps.

e:

zari-gani posted:

And then the staff mockingly called Kibe "Phoenix" for months.

That whole quote just feels so "Kibe". Even though hes meek and unassuming, nothings going to get in the way of his favorite games or his love for Sega.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Kind of a shame that they never revealed to him that the Pink Grandma was actually a fat samurai wannabe dude. But then again, he probably noticed it by himself when he looked at the manual.