Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

crime fighting hog posted:

Is it too late to get in on this or do I have to wait till next year?

It's not to late (to whip it), and even if you had missed the cutoff for this month (you didn't) you could still jump in next month, or any month for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frantz
Jan 10, 2013
I, Frantz, do hereby oath four Chaos Space Marine Havocs as my oath for May.

Three of them have been kitted out with auto cannon-look-alikes from a 3rd party company.

Also, as this will be my first time participating: aww, it's a baby! :)

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I, Luebbi, oath to paint these two Cyclops Savages from Privateer Press!

Oh, and also: Awwww! a BABY! About time I tried this oathing business, and with my Skorne battle box arriving today, I'm off to a fresh start with a new army!

Luebbi fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 8, 2013

Germ
May 7, 2013

nathonicus posted:

By the end of this thread, I hope to get some of my Covenant of Antarctica models in here. Dystopian Wars is a solid game, and the models are delightful. I'm looking forward to seeing how others paint their ships up.

Cool! I'll do the same with my Blazing Suns. We should try and get a Dystopian Wars day organized in Bellingham to celebrate if we can actually get painted models on the table.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

One down, two more (plus basing) to go! These are so simple but so much fun to paint! The nasty looking saliva worked a treat too.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Nearly done with my traitor Guard/Cultists, I had to skip D&D tonight so I got quite a lot done. I should have done the Speed Painting thing with these but I didn't think I'd get so far.

I've actually gone a bit further than this, the base rims are painted and I just need to varnish them. I'll probably start another few tomorrow night and see if I can get them done quicker.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

IrvingWashington posted:

Sup, poo poo-ton of SW:BfA buddy!

I have 2 Biohazard sets waiting for me to do something with them, and then god knows what else is coming in the delayed second shipment now - at least the 3d scenery. It's intimidating, especially trying to come up with a color scheme other than the studio version when I spent so long looking at their versions. Interested to see what you'll be doing with these.

I only got the one biohazard, but all the extra characters and the glow in the dark/clear dudes (which I guess are mostly completed!). The terrain is going to own.

Still no idea what colours I'm going for, but a lot of guys on the mcvey forum split them into squads and do diff colours, so that might happen. Just hoping I can have a finished set at the end of the oathing year :)

And hopefully the Bones don't distract me when they arrive :(

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I, ActionZero, oath that I will paint this Tau Fire Warrior from Games Workshop for the month of May.

Awwww, it's a baby!
I'll probably add more models to this oath but I've fallen off painting since starting my job so I need to ease back into it.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Fuegan posted:

One down, two more (plus basing) to go! These are so simple but so much fun to paint! The nasty looking saliva worked a treat too.

What did you use? It looks rad.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I, Baron Snow, do hereby oath that I will paint 1 Loremaster of Hoeth, a Wahammer Fantasy Battles model by Games Workshop

... and in doing so, finally decide the color scheme of my entire High Elf army.
:negative:

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Baron Snow posted:

... and in doing so, finally decide the color scheme of my entire High Elf army.

It's all green, isn't it?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

That's just my desk lamp lending that tint. Hmm, I probably shouldn't use that light when actually painting.

Edit: Progess shot with bonus Psychic Lock!

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 8, 2013

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009
Progress update!

I made a few silly mistakes due to being tired, but they'll only need a bit of cleanup. I did the armor highlighting with a mix of airbrushing and lining where I thought the metal would gleam on edges. It looks pretty stark in the photos but I really like it in person. Faces are mostly done, just need to paint service studs and studly staches, and I've begun working on some robes as you can see.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Let's get this thing kicked off with some giant Ogre-Lizard things!

I, TasmanianX, Oath 3 Warhammer Dragon Ogres for May.

WIP 1:

TasmanianX fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 10, 2013

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Luebbi posted:

I, Luebbi, oath to paint these two Cyclops Savages from Reaper!

Those are from Privateer Press, not Reaper. :)

Frog of War
May 1, 2008
I, Frog of War, oath that I will paint these Chaos Cultists from Games Workshop. And some fancy bases for them.

First ever oath - Awwww, it's a baby! - hope it's correctly done. Usually would take me....usually I would never finish these.

Will be for a Necromunda gang.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Asphyxious posted:

Those are from Privateer Press, not Reaper. :)

That's what I get for posting while chatting - thanks to the Iron Lich for the heads-up ;)

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Bases arrived today, so here's my first Work in progress post!

I realize that assembling the arms now is going to be a bastard to paint, but didn't want to go to the palaver of pinning each one - the ball and socket joints on infinity models are pretty decent at holding their tiny little arms on.

Parts so far;
3 Secret Weapon Desert Basin bases
0.7mm copper head pins (bead shops are good for these)
An excessive amount of rather old super-glue.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Apologies everyone! I have been unable to get to oath accepting due to the only real full-timer AND my manager quitting in such a dramatic way that we had to change the locks on the doors, twice, within a week of one another! :v:

Germ posted:

I, Germ, hereby oath that I will paint these two Games Workshop Necron Night Scythes for the month of May. 'Awwww, it's a baby'

nathonicus posted:

I, Nathonicus, hereby oath that I will paint these 10 Death Korps of Krieg Guardsmen by Forge World (Games-Workshop), for the month of May. Awwwwww, it's a baby!

Destrado posted:

I, Destrado, oath a 5 Haramaki link team (Corvus Belli/Infinity) for May.

The Impaler posted:

I, The Impaler, oath these 5 Covenant of Antarctica (Spartan Games -> Dystopian Wars) frigates for May.

Lungboy posted:

I, Lungboy, do hereby oath to paint 20 CSM cultists from Dark Vengeance by the end of May! Models are from Games Workshop

Frantz posted:

I, Frantz, do hereby oath four Games Workshop Chaos Space Marine Havocs as my oath for May. aww, it's a baby!

Luebbi posted:

I, Luebbi, oath to paint these two Cyclops Savages from Privateer Press! Awwww! a BABY!

ActionZero posted:

I, ActionZero, oath that I will paint this Tau Fire Warrior from Games Workshop for the month of May. Awwww, it's a baby!

Baron Snow posted:

I, Baron Snow, do hereby oath that I will paint 1 Loremaster of Hoeth, a Wahammer Fantasy Battles model by Games Workshop

TasmanianX posted:

I, TasmanianX, Oath 3 Warhammer Dragon Ogres for May.

Frog of War posted:

I, Frog of War, oath that I will paint these Chaos Cultists from Games Workshop. Awwww, it's a baby!

Accepted.

Mmtheblue posted:

Looks like my AP was missed.

Dunno how I missed that. Accepted.

mehall posted:

I, Mehall, do hereby Oath to get off my arse and paint this Stuka in the month of May. Aww, a baby!

While I have been making strides to make this easier for everyone, I can't make exceptions to a rule, especially one that I warned everyone about. Now, this isn't to say that you saw the warning, and that's fine: it's just not something I can change. So, you have a couple of options: you can either reprime and reshoot an AP photo, or you can just skip out on bonus AP Photo points for this month.
On a personal note, I'd love nothing more than to just say "looks fine to me" and be done, but the rules are what they are. I do apologize with all sincerity.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Sole.Sushi posted:

While I have been making strides to make this easier for everyone, I can't make exceptions to a rule, especially one that I warned everyone about. Now, this isn't to say that you saw the warning, and that's fine: it's just not something I can change. So, you have a couple of options: you can either reprime and reshoot an AP photo, or you can just skip out on bonus AP Photo points for this month.
On a personal note, I'd love nothing more than to just say "looks fine to me" and be done, but the rules are what they are. I do apologize with all sincerity.

So wait, like, If I post a fully painted pic next week I still get the 5 points for finishing an oath, I just don't get the point for posting an oath ni the first place?

If so, I'll probably do that, re-priming and then painting that cockpit in-situ would be a pain the butthole.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

Really happy to get these guys done this quickly. Really fun models to paint. To spice them up a bit, I decided to add a representation of the Slime Trail special rule, leaving a layer of slime in their wake on the bases, which can be seen better on the fourth picture. The grass was also arranged in such a way that the dead-looking grass is closer to the Beast of Nurgle, representing the foliage dying off due to the proximity of one of Nurgle's beasties.

Detektuv's Jurnal: Suiting Up

One Time Bonus: Parts List

So in order to paint these, I used all Games Workshop paints. I started off by gap filling with Green Stuff before priming them with Skull White spray. The basecoat consisted of a coat of Athonian Camoshade wash, followed by a 50/50 mix of Athonian Camoshade and Coelia Greenshade. The exposed flesh sections were basecoated with Tallarn Flesh, before being washed with Bloodletter Glaze and small amounts of Agrax Earthshade for shading. The boils were painted with Scab Red followed by two layers of Bleached Bone to give them a vivid look. The horns, teeth and claws were basecoated with Snakebite Leather, washed with Agrax Earthshade and then layered with Bleached Bone and then a 50/50 mix of Bleached Bone with White Scar. The eyes were painted with a basecoat layer of Yriel Yellow, then washed around the eyelid with Agrax Earthshade before a second coat of Yriel Yellow was applied. This was followed by a highlight layer of Flash Gitz Yellow and a spot of White Scar for a final highlight.

The base was coated with sand and painted with Bestial Brown, then drybrushed with Bubonic Brown, followed by Bleached Bone. A mixture of Dead Grass and standard Grass (both from Games Workshop scenic tubs) was glued to the base, and then a layer of Citadel Water Effects was mixed with Athonian Camoshade to create the slime trails. Lastly, I used UHU brand glue to apply the trails of saliva that can be seen on the models by drawing the glue between two points with a cocktail stick to produce a build-up of strands.

Edit: Apparently because I completed Parts List and Suiting Up, I get to claim that I had Double The Fun, which I most certainly did!

Fuegan fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 23, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fuegan takes the lead from Big Willy Style, by including his username in his oath complete pic! Congrats Fuegan!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That's how it's done, folks!

I would have posted my completed pic as well but the airbrush matte varnish I tried came out dusty so I want to try something before taking the final picture.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sole.Sushi posted:

Gimme a clean shot of the model (no timestamp) and you're good. Any progress you've made so far is fine.

Fortunately I work at a glacial pace, so all I have done is priming. Is this acceptable?

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp
I,Android, oath 6 Lootas of the GW variety for the month of May

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Android posted:

Oh, shiiiit now we've got a rumble. :commissar:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

mehall posted:

So wait, like, If I post a fully painted pic next week I still get the 5 points for finishing an oath, I just don't get the point for posting an oath ni the first place?

If so, I'll probably do that, re-priming and then painting that cockpit in-situ would be a pain the butthole.

We do generally work on the honor system, so yes. You'll just miss the points for posting a valid AP, and that's it. Oaths have always been about getting your poo poo done, first and foremost; so get your poo poo done. :v:

Android posted:

Fix will fight you on the field of Warhammer, but not before you are Accepted!

Ashcans posted:

Fortunately I work at a glacial pace, so all I have done is priming. Is this acceptable?

That works. Accepted.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Work in Progress #1:

Pluggin' away at Pink Horrors. I love quite a bit about these models, but damned if they are the least stable that I've worked with in a while. I've already had to glue magnets to the bottoms of three of them to keep them standing.

Also Pink Horrors are incredibly fit for being S3. Just saying.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Chance II posted:

I, Chance II, Oath an Infinity Tohaa Spec-ops and three Kamael troops for May

I'm "Bonus Style" Oathing one Clipsos Infiltrator, Sakiel Regiment, and Ectros Regiment from Corvus Belli's Tohaa faction of Infinity.

With these models, that would round out the Tohaa Starter Pack so would that count as painting a team?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Chance II posted:

I'm "Bonus Style" Oathing one Clipsos Infiltrator, Sakiel Regiment, and Ectros Regiment from Corvus Belli's Tohaa faction of Infinity.

Accepted.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

I, Icon of Sin, oath that I will paint these 3 Deathwing Terminators. They're from Games Workshop's Dark Vengeance set, the intro to 6th edition of Warhammer 40k.

:siren:Awww, it's a baby!:siren:

:siren: Oath complete! :siren:

Squad:

Sergeant:

Chainfist:

Assault cannon:

:siren: Detektuv's Jurnal! :siren:

Squad:

Sergeant:

Assault cannon, pre-red/wash:

Chainfist, pre-shoulderpads and pre-bone touchup:

Parts list!

Primer used: Rustoleum Trim and Bumper Paint (I already had a can from working on my jeep, it worked out pretty well)

Paints (all citadel/GW paints):
-Ushabti Bone (shoulder pads, power fists. Fists were then lightly coated with Sycorax bronze, before being
washed with Nuln Oil)
-Sycorax Bronze (weapons, knee/elbow pads, armor joints on the back of their legs)
-Warplock Bronze (storm bolter magazines, any kind of electrical wiring or cords/chains)
-Leadbelcher (armor, helmets; majority of paint used)
-Mephiston Red (eyes, trim around sergeant's feathery hat, various ribbons)
-Loren Forest (sergeant's cloak only)
-Gehenna's Gold (detail inside the shoulder pads, rounds in the storm bolter magazines, various ribbons)
-Abaddon Black (joints, behind the knee pads)
-Caledor Sky (ribbons, and a little bit on the groove on the sergeant's weapon)
-Nuln Oil (final wash, all over)
-Athonian Camoshade* ^

9 paints and a wash per model. Now I get to do the same thing next month with some Grey Knight terminators :suicide:

*maybe? I think I accidentally switch the Nuln Oil and Athonian Camoshade at one point, or may have barely used the Athonian on one part of a model before switching back, I don't remember :(

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
I, Jetfire, oath that I will paint these five very Space Hulk Genestealers from the Games Workshop.

I swear I'll use a better camera next time.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Jetfire posted:

I, Jetfire, oath that I will paint these five very Space Hulk Genestealers from the Games Workshop.

Accepted.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Chance II posted:

With these models, that would round out the Tohaa Starter Pack so would that count as painting a team?

Yep, you're good. 28mm requires 5 models for the themed group prize.

Excited for this as its the first mixed bag group going for the prize that I've seen. It's easy and obvious to paint five Orks or Imperial Guard or whatever to match, but this is a group of models that will all look quite different :)

That's not at all a criticism of the other oaths, I just want to see where people might run with the idea and this is a step in that direction!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
The Detektuv’s Jurnal: WIP shot number 1 on my Cossack Moloitsy from Wargamer Pl.

So far Ive prepped them, based them on laser cut 2mm MDF bases, PVA and a mix of sharp sand smeared all over, then spray primed with Army Painter Leathr Brown followed by a wash of Agrax Earthshade from GW. I find brown undercoat with a dark wash a good way to basecoat smaller scale models with lots of cloth and flesh on display.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

I have the urge to add something to my completed oath that I will forget to paint and cause me to fail entirely :v: Shame I've already started on the three Plague Drones I have or they would have been perfect. I'm sure I'll find something to add.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Fuegan posted:

I have the urge to add something to my completed oath that I will forget to paint and cause me to fail entirely :v: Shame I've already started on the three Plague Drones I have or they would have been perfect. I'm sure I'll find something to add.

This is what the Alternate Universe oath addition is for!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
:siren:ANNOUNCEMENTS FORTHCOMING:siren:

Greetings, goons! We've got exciting news!

The Troll Trader is fully online with us, I got confirmation yesterday! They'll be sending packs of miniatures from Scibor and Tor (check them out, very interesting stuff!) plus starter assembly packs from Army Painter! I'll probably have to start a slideshow album for all the prizes we've physically got in our hands, it's going to start piling up.

There's also at least one more MAJOR sponsor on deck - stay tuned!!

I've also got a couple of :orks101: Detektuv's Grab Bag :orks101: care packages from goons Namenlos, Galaspar and Thundercloud! Lots and lots of good stuff:

(yes, there are books there - audiobooks, too! - don't be afraid!)

I'll be sorting through all this today, taking pictures and editing, and chucking them all into a slideshow album for all you grubby goons to check out. I think we might actually have enough now to do more than one Grab Bag draw per month! :cthulhu:

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I'm declaring this Oath for May Complete!

And here are the Detektiv's Journal progress shots for my initial Oath. I managed to loose the second shot for my bonus Oath unfortunately.

Well I wasn't planning on it but I guess my Bonus Style Oath would qualify for Speed Painting.
Start

Finish

This is also a Group Theme entry with the the Tohaa Starter box units painted in a unified color scheme. They also play as a team on the board.

Parts List

Since I bought paint with my Reaper Miniatures gift cert won in the last Oath thread, let me tell you what I used.

Stormy Grey basecoat with Cloudy Grey Highlight

Pure White highlight on white primer

Golden Yellow

Burning Orange highlighted with Fireball Orange

Muddy Brown with Rust Brown drybrush for the bases

And Tanned leather for the jacket.

I used Nuln Oil from GW as a wash because it is liquid talent. Everything else is from the Reaper paint line.

And a Double the fun! for all of this.

Chance II fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

:siren: WIP PICS INCOMING :siren:

A lot of firsts for my first oath of the year. My first space marines, my first conversions with putty, My first edge highlighting, my first non "slap a few coats of paint on and dip/wash" paint job.

FRONT:

BACK:

• Locked thread