Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Fillerbunny posted:

What are people's impressions of Trakt? I'm interested in it, but in order to push my watched status of my current library I'd be looking at writing a script to push it all out to the trakt API, and I don't know if I think it's worth the effort.

Trakt's plugin syncs with your Trakt account on first login. So, those watched statuses would carry over into Trakt. At least, this is what happened for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Fillerbunny posted:

What are people's impressions of Trakt? I'm interested in it, but in order to push my watched status of my current library I'd be looking at writing a script to push it all out to the trakt API, and I don't know if I think it's worth the effort.

You can sync your current watched status with the current official Trakt addon. It works great, I have had no issues at all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Trakt is, was and always will be the buggiest god damned plugin you can ever add to XBMC. Unless things have radically changed in the last few months, which I sincerely doubt they have.

It's a shame, it's pretty cool otherwise!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The pHo posted:

Trakt is, was and always will be the buggiest god damned plugin you can ever add to XBMC. Unless things have radically changed in the last few months, which I sincerely doubt they have.

It's a shame, it's pretty cool otherwise!

Things have radically changed since the Frodo release. The add-on pretty much always works without much finagling, including watched status syncing.

I do wish they'd drop the horrible "totally ninja!" and "weak sauce :(" from the rating screen, though.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Like EC said, the buggy as poo poo addons were unofficial hacks. The official trakt addon

http://trakt.tv/downloads/xbmc

Works great for me. Uninstall your lovely trakt utilities or whatever and install this one.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm using a 3TB NAS and use XBMC 12.2 to watch content. This is done via an htpc in the theater room and soon I will be using a small zotac for upstairs in the living room.

Can someone explain what I would gain from using a MySQL database ? I see it talked about often here.

Alternatively, could I just create a trakt account and gain much of the same functionality ?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

EC posted:

Things have radically changed since the Frodo release. The add-on pretty much always works without much finagling, including watched status syncing.

I do wish they'd drop the horrible "totally ninja!" and "weak sauce :(" from the rating screen, though.

trakt has an alternative numbered rating scheme that I think is fully integrated in the plugin, just switch switch to it in your account settings on the site. Can't guarantee it'll remove the cheese from being displayed within XBMC as I've disabled the feature, but one can hope.

I also agree on the trakt plugin having become a lot better than it used to be, but they still manage to create more than enough trouble with it. A recent change in how the background service spawns made it completely take down XBMC just a few seconds after starting the program, until an old script left behind was manually removed. The newest version would crash at random intervals, making scrobbling and sync stop working without restarting XBMC. Now on the second-to-latest version everything is perfectly stable, so I'll just hold off on upgrading as long as they don't break API compatibility.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

jonathan posted:

I'm using a 3TB NAS and use XBMC 12.2 to watch content. This is done via an htpc in the theater room and soon I will be using a small zotac for upstairs in the living room.

Can someone explain what I would gain from using a MySQL database ? I see it talked about often here.

Alternatively, could I just create a trakt account and gain much of the same functionality ?

I think the main draw for MySQL is having one central database for your watched tags and resume spots, allowing full sync between multiple clients. So you can stop watching a show in the living room and pick up from where you left off in the bedroom.

Keito posted:

trakt has an alternative numbered rating scheme that I think is fully integrated in the plugin, just switch switch to it in your account settings on the site. Can't guarantee it'll remove the cheese from being displayed within XBMC as I've disabled the feature, but one can hope.

I didn't know this, thanks.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

jonathan posted:

It allows you to share one xbmc database between all your machines. You only have to scan stuff once on one machine, watched status and artwork syncs automatically, also it gives you pause in one room resume in another functionality. Basically your viewing the exact same information in all rooms.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kri kri posted:

Like EC said, the buggy as poo poo addons were unofficial hacks. The official trakt addon

http://trakt.tv/downloads/xbmc

Works great for me. Uninstall your lovely trakt utilities or whatever and install this one.

Sorry, I've always tried the official one (although I was once advised to uninstall it and use Utilities before), but as Keito above me confirms - it's just got *something* in it that causes problems. Glad to hear it's running better on Frodo, but I know if I put it on there'll be crashes and hangs on my main system and I need it stable.

e: Just to be clear on the 'pause in any room functionality' - you actually need to hit 'Stop' for it to log where you got to, which is why if you crash XBMC while it's running something it doesn't remember you ever starting it. It is rad to watch half a film downstairs and complete it in bed though, and if you have more than one machine running XBMC (I think we have 6 or 7 here now) I highly recommend it.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

jonathan posted:

With a MySQL database you would only have to scan files into your library once, instead of doing it on every device. It also enables some cool features like being able to stop playback on one device and resuming on another. There is no "offline mode", so the machine hosting the database has to be powered whenever you want to use XBMC. If you can run MySQL on the NAS you might as well go for it. trakt only covers synchronization of watched status.

Edit: I'm slow.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

The pHo posted:

e: Just to be clear on the 'pause in any room functionality' - you actually need to hit 'Stop' for it to log where you got to, which is why if you crash XBMC while it's running something it doesn't remember you ever starting it. It is rad to watch half a film downstairs and complete it in bed though, and if you have more than one machine running XBMC (I think we have 6 or 7 here now) I highly recommend it.
That's a good clarification. I rarely pause something with xbmc because if I'm stopping its either because I have to leave or someone else is using that tv. I use this feature daily though and it's awesome.

Also as said above you have to have the MySQL machine on 24/7 so if you run a nas put it there. If your running sickbeard and that updates your xbmc database automatically you need one machine on as well to receive the notifications, but then you really don't need to ever scan your library.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
edit: nevermind, forgot to refresh

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Webbeh posted:

Trakt's plugin syncs with your Trakt account on first login. So, those watched statuses would carry over into Trakt. At least, this is what happened for me.

kri kri posted:

You can sync your current watched status with the current official Trakt addon. It works great, I have had no issues at all.

See, that's what I expected to happen, but after installing the plugin and getting it configured, my account on the site shows that I have 0 library items. That's why I was looking into writing my own script to push all that out. Do you guys use a MySQL backend? Does it make a difference?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I have a mysql back end and it works fine. To manually sync you will need to go into Program addons and run the trakt plugin. It will then bring up a dialog box saying what it is syncing.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Fillerbunny posted:

See, that's what I expected to happen, but after installing the plugin and getting it configured, my account on the site shows that I have 0 library items. That's why I was looking into writing my own script to push all that out. Do you guys use a MySQL backend? Does it make a difference?

No MySQL backend - just Trakt + a local library. Make sure that the Trakt plugin works (when you watch a video, that the video file shows up on the website).

On OpenELEC, at least for me, Trakt only seems to work after running Update Library. So weird.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

You can set the trakt addon to sync after you update the library.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
I had to restart XBMC to get it to work. I don't recall seeing this in their install instructions. :mad:

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch

Fillerbunny posted:

Why would that be the case, mine picked up all my XBMC watched status just fine I believe.
It also imports from Trakt too if you do a new install.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

GateheaD posted:

Why would that be the case, mine picked up all my XBMC watched status just fine I believe.
It also imports from Trakt too if you do a new install.

Bear in mind that importing Trakt data took me a good couple of hours for my ~500 movie database. I don't know if there is throttling on the API or something, but it would update 10 movies, wait for a few minutes then update another 10. XBMC is un-usable during this time, but i left it syncing overnight and eventually it was all sorted.

It was really handy, I used to use MediaPortal, which also has a trakt plugin. So it let me sync all my MediaPortal views/watched etc... with the new XMBC install.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Just built a HTPC and put the latest XBMC on, and it's only seeing the content from 2 of the 3 drives I have shared from another network location -- it will see and identify the 3rd one ("Archived II") but it doesn't pull any of the video content from it.

Any ideas?

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
You have to make certain the content of your folder/source is set correctly. You might find some useful information here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Media_sources

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Cheers. I'll read up.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Ether Frenzy posted:

Just built a HTPC and put the latest XBMC on, and it's only seeing the content from 2 of the 3 drives I have shared from another network location -- it will see and identify the 3rd one ("Archived II") but it doesn't pull any of the video content from it.

Any ideas?

Are you saying that you can't access any videos from the share in XBMC's :filez: view? Or that they don't have any metadata?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It turned out my server decided that despite sharing for the drive in question seeming to be on (a drive that has been shared for at least 2 years), that it actually wasn't - unsharing and resharing the drive fixed it. XBMC could see the directory but nothing in it but it took me a while to stoop as low as "rebooting" the Windows file sharing to figure it out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok I'm willing to give trakt one last shot to see if it can behave itself. The plugin has changed a bit since I remember and I'm not sure if I'd put my MySQL setup when I last run it - do I install on just the main box, or every machine in the house with xbmc? If the latter, do I need to have any specific settings in place?

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.
Does anyone know if there's a way to deactivate the sound that goes with the generic pop-up notification? I mean the one that goes off when you connect an Android remote, or when the auto database refresh runs, all those things. It's incredibly loud and jarring compared to the rest of the sound effects in general.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Mr. Beefhead posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to deactivate the sound that goes with the generic pop-up notification? I mean the one that goes off when you connect an Android remote, or when the auto database refresh runs, all those things. It's incredibly loud and jarring compared to the rest of the sound effects in general.

Browse to the skin folder on disk, figure out what sound is annoying you in the sounds subfolder, and comment out the appropriate section in the sounds.xml file. It's probably whatever is set to the infodialog trigger.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

evilalien posted:

Browse to the skin folder on disk, figure out what sound is annoying you in the sounds subfolder, and comment out the appropriate section in the sounds.xml file. It's probably whatever is set to the infodialog trigger.

There doesn't appear to be a sounds.xml file or a sounds folder for the default skin, Confluence. For what it's worth, I'm currently running Frodo 12.1 in Windows 7.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Mr. Beefhead posted:

There doesn't appear to be a sounds.xml file or a sounds folder for the default skin, Confluence. For what it's worth, I'm currently running Frodo 12.1 in Windows 7.

It's there in my XBMC. Confluence is stored in the XBMC install folder. Try looking in C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\addons\skin.confluence\sounds

meatliner
Apr 17, 2010
How realistic is it to use a Raspberry Pi as a daily driver without a decent amp that supports DTS? I know in the early days the RPi would choke as it attempted to decode in software but is this still the case?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

LaylaBangs posted:

How realistic is it to use a Raspberry Pi as a daily driver without a decent amp that supports DTS? I know in the early days the RPi would choke as it attempted to decode in software but is this still the case?

I use one directly connected to a TV in the kitchen which doesn't support DTS, it's worked flawlessly with everything I've thrown at it and that includes some stuff with an average bitrate of 19Mbps+.

I do run it at a 900mhz overclock but I honestly have no idea if that is even making a difference as I just started with that, I also use these frodo builds of openelec which have been recommended here multiple times: http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-pi/58671-my-custom-builds-openelec

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My housemates Pi seems fine in a similar setup to Sendo's too. Just sending 2ch to an amp regardless of source. It chokes on AirPlay though (even just music), but he hasn't OC'd.

Upgraded SickBeard 499 to 500 Windows yesterday, and now it thinks all my 720 WEB-DLs are in fact 1080 Blu-Rays, so won't ever replace them unless I edit all the listings. Fun! Luckily the Mass Editor meant I could switch out the old Custom template I use for the new one so that didn't suck up an entire night, but I don't think you can mass edit what it's screwed up in the meantime.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

evilalien posted:

It's there in my XBMC. Confluence is stored in the XBMC install folder. Try looking in C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\addons\skin.confluence\sounds

It sure was there, and that worked perfectly, thank you. I was looking in the userdata folder.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

For people running WIndows and having odd waking issues, check out Xbmclauncher.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=136798

I have it set to exit xbmc on sleep and then relaunch it when it wakes up, and now I don't have my waking issues where xbmc would be the wrong resolution and other things.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

kri kri posted:

For people running WIndows and having odd waking issues, check out Xbmclauncher.

I have it set to exit xbmc on sleep and then relaunch it when it wakes up, and now I don't have my waking issues where xbmc would be the wrong resolution and other things.

Thank you for this. I am going to try it on my bedroom PC. It shares DB with the living room and when it goes to sleep, XBMC looks up on wake up, I assume because of the wireless NIC not being connected right away.

Mike Hock
Jun 22, 2005

The gift that gives back.

kri kri posted:

Yup, this program is pretty great. My downstairs setup autostarts Windows Media Center since I use that for live TV and DVR functionality and I launch XBMC from there but my upstairs setup is strictly an XBMC box. I was having all sorts of issues with sound devices not initializing or losing focus when restarting due to some popup notification or Windows event. Now I can exit XBMC when I sleep the PC by changing the shutdown option in XBMC to trigger sleep mode, then when I turn everything back on, XBMC restarts and it also checks focus so if Windows pops back to the desktop it refocuses on XBMC in a few seconds. Makes the bedroom HTPC feel like a set top box instead of a Windows PC. I could probably do something similar with my downstairs set up but I haven't found a way to launch Steam from WMC. I might just make Steam auto-start in Big Picture mode with Windows and then add WMC and XBMC custom icons and do it that way.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The pHo posted:

Ok I'm willing to give trakt one last shot to see if it can behave itself.

And to absolutely zero surprise - XBMC falling over on my iMac when I start it this morning. Nothing in the log line to explain why, removed Trakt folder and now everything works as normal.

What the gently caress is it with this plugin? I've tried it since the very beginning across two different plugins and it's always caused so many problems. Annoying as hell because it's a good service, a good idea but just doesn't bloody work.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

The pHo posted:

And to absolutely zero surprise - XBMC falling over on my iMac when I start it this morning. Nothing in the log line to explain why, removed Trakt folder and now everything works as normal.

What the gently caress is it with this plugin? I've tried it since the very beginning across two different plugins and it's always caused so many problems. Annoying as hell because it's a good service, a good idea but just doesn't bloody work.

Check if you have a file in your userdata folder called autoexec.py, and remove trakt from it if present. That was what made XBMC crash on my Arch Linux setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Looked for the file, but not there. Have also tried reinstalling Trakt from the repository but the same thing happened as soon as it kicked in. Not sure whether the plugin on my main box (which runs the MySQL server) will cause any problems, at the moment I'll just have to rely on that to update watch states as long as it remains stable (it should do it every time the library updates at least). Means I can't scrobble from this machine, but other than logging how long you've spent watching TV in the Charts option I don't think there's any real advantage to Scrobbling over just update the watchstate, right?

Cheers

e: Have upgraded from 12.2 to the latest 13 nightly and that seems to be behaving itself a bit better. I've not been wonderfully convinced by Frodo to be honest, things that worked fine in 11 were a bit dodgy (ordering in Latest Episodes / Movies seemed completely off) and I was getting crashes in one show on 2 different machines just by going into the folder. At least 13 doesn't change MySQL elements at the moment, phew.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 16, 2013