Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fuf posted:

I'm gonna admit defeat and ask for a link to this thread because I'm an idiot and can't find it. (I guess I could never be a hacker :( )

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5552756

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Poor linode, they are such a good provider and this is just going to lose them so many contracts.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Biowarfare posted:

Btw for those of you leaving linode and want something on a comparable price point: try out vr.org, they have a ton of locations and native ipv6 by default and have been amazing to me.

They look pretty good, and I'm thinking about making the switch. Any other goons using them?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Now BOunceweb want $10 per cpanel account, not for my reseller account to have backups enabled. Thats 50 * $10... Erm no fuckers.

Anyone got any ideas?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Red Hat has caused Rackspace (and all other RHEL vendors, I assume) to almost triple the licensing fee for RHEL:

Rackspace Email posted:

Current fees for customers running RHEL on their Dedicated Servers start at $20 per month. For Managed Virtualization customers the fees are $0.70 per day. Your license costs may vary based on the number of physical or virtual processors on your server.

Due to Red Hat’s price increase, effective June 1, 2013, RHEL license fees for all new Dedicated and Managed Virtualization servers will change as follows:

RHEL OS fees will start at $55 per month for single-processor Dedicated Servers and at $1.92 per day for Managed Virtualization. (As dictated by Red Hat’s pricing model, RHEL fees increase with the number of physical or virtual processors on your server.)

With the changes in RHEL pricing there are a couple of options available to you:

You can take advantage of the grandfather clause by adding new RHEL servers before June 1, 2013. This will allow you to pay the current lower Red Hat license price for the term of your new contract or until November 1, 2014, whichever comes first.

You can use CentOS, an open source OS derived from the same codebase as RHEL, which will be available in May 2013. If you chose to no longer use RHEL for your Dedicated or Managed Virtualization servers, please refer to the CentOS FAQ at the following link: http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/centos-faqs.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

thegasman2000 posted:

Now BOunceweb want $10 per cpanel account, not for my reseller account to have backups enabled. Thats 50 * $10... Erm no fuckers.

Anyone got any ideas?

I've had another customer try to transfer from them and they won't release their domain name for transfer. It's reminding me of Made2Own all over again :(
They are deleting support tickets and not providing EPP codes when requested.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

DarkLotus posted:

I've had another customer try to transfer from them and they won't release their domain name for transfer. It's reminding me of Made2Own all over again :(
They are deleting support tickets and not providing EPP codes when requested.

I had to wait 3 days to be told this too... Its not only a shame, its a loving Goon Host for fucks sake! If we cant trust our own... who am I kidding.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

thegasman2000 posted:

I had to wait 3 days to be told this too... Its not only a shame, its a loving Goon Host for fucks sake! If we cant trust our own... who am I kidding.

They've been blacklisted by this thread for long time.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

thegasman2000 posted:

They may be sore over the fact that we kicked them off the recommended goon host list. Time to involve ICANN, although I'm sure Darrklotus is already working on it.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

deadbian posted:

Poor linode, they are such a good provider and this is just going to lose them so many contracts.

Right after they upgraded everything too. Brutal.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Oh My Science posted:

They may be sore over the fact that we kicked them off the recommended goon host list. Time to involve ICANN, although I'm sure Darrklotus is already working on it.

Unfortunately, I don't have any magical powers. ICANN will not work with me regarding disputed domains between a customer and their old host / Domain Reseller. Even the Registrar will not help me with issues like this.
The first step is to try and work it out with Bounceweb, second step is to go to the Registrar (Enom, Resellerclub...), third step is to file a domain name dispute with ICANN.

I've helped plenty of Goons in the past with the old Made2Own issues, but that mostly involved pointing them in the right direction and telling them who to contact.

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!
Perhaps this isn't the perfect place to post this question, but it is at least tangentially related. If it doesn't fit here, please let me know and I'll move it.

Does anyone have any experience using Google Apps versus Office 365 in a small business? I am specifically looking at Office 365 Small Business Premium ($15 per months for 1-10 users) or Google Apps for Business ($5 per user per month).

My specific needs/desires:

- (Need) Professional email address(es) with custom hostname
- (Need) Calendaring
- (Need) Email/calendar access via web, computer, and iPhone/iPad
- (Need) Web hosting with custom hostname for externally facing site to interface with clients
- (Desire) Web hosting internally to host a Wiki for knowledge management
- (Need) File storage accessible via web, computer, and mobile
- (Desire) Web/video conferencing and instant messaging

I've looked at both of these offerings and they both seem to mostly fit my needs. I'm a little leery about the web hosting, though. Google doesn't seem to offer anything firm and I can't find anything on the extensibility of the Microsoft offering. My needs are pretty simple, though. I'd like to present company information, contact info, and perhaps a blog/news page.

Overall, I'm looking for something that is easy to manage and provides all these services without me having to maintain mail, web, chat, etc, servers on a generic hosting service. Does anyone know of any other vendors that provide similar services?

EDIT: Also, do either of these services offer domain name registration with their products or would I have to get that elsewhere?

Postal fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 27, 2013

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Postal posted:

Google Apps..

I have been using google apps for a few years now and have been happy with it. To cover your questions:

1. They offer domain registration but I would obtain that elsewhere. Never have your domain and hosting provided by the same company, even if it's google.
2. They offer tools to create blogs or webpages. It won't be anything fancy.
3. Does everything from email to calendar, accessible from any device.
4. I love google drive, and google docs.
5. google voice supports video.

You might be better off getting hosting & domains elsewhere.

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

Oh My Science posted:

I have been using google apps for a few years now and have been happy with it. To cover your questions:

1. They offer domain registration but I would obtain that elsewhere. Never have your domain and hosting provided by the same company, even if it's google.
2. They offer tools to create blogs or webpages. It won't be anything fancy.
3. Does everything from email to calendar, accessible from any device.
4. I love google drive, and google docs.
5. google voice supports video.

You might be better off getting hosting & domains elsewhere.

I figured I'd be better off getting the domain elsewhere, but I wasn't sure about the hosting. I was hoping to combine that into the package to save some money since I really don't need much.

I knew my first response would be about Google and not Microsoft since Google has been around longer.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Postal posted:

Perhaps this isn't the perfect place to post this question, but it is at least tangentially related. If it doesn't fit here, please let me know and I'll move it.

Does anyone have any experience using Google Apps versus Office 365 in a small business? I am specifically looking at Office 365 Small Business Premium ($15 per months for 1-10 users) or Google Apps for Business ($5 per user per month).

My specific needs/desires:

- (Need) Professional email address(es) with custom hostname
- (Need) Calendaring
- (Need) Email/calendar access via web, computer, and iPhone/iPad
- (Need) Web hosting with custom hostname for externally facing site to interface with clients
- (Desire) Web hosting internally to host a Wiki for knowledge management
- (Need) File storage accessible via web, computer, and mobile
- (Desire) Web/video conferencing and instant messaging

I've looked at both of these offerings and they both seem to mostly fit my needs. I'm a little leery about the web hosting, though. Google doesn't seem to offer anything firm and I can't find anything on the extensibility of the Microsoft offering. My needs are pretty simple, though. I'd like to present company information, contact info, and perhaps a blog/news page.

Overall, I'm looking for something that is easy to manage and provides all these services without me having to maintain mail, web, chat, etc, servers on a generic hosting service. Does anyone know of any other vendors that provide similar services?

EDIT: Also, do either of these services offer domain name registration with their products or would I have to get that elsewhere?

Any reason you looked at the premium version of Office 365 and not the regular offering? The only really significant difference is the office license that's included in the premium version, and the regular Office 365 small business option is $5-6/month depending on how you pay.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/business/compare-office-365-for-business-plans-FX102918419.aspx

I haven't used the latest version of Office 365, but I've setup Google Apps for a number of organizations/groups and honestly Google Sites is the weakest part of that offering. It's janky and clunky and while it may work for something super basic, most of the groups that stuck with it did so because they didn't want to pay for anything else. These were all external faci g sites, maybe it's a bit more functional for "internal" facing stuff.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
:cool: Dual Xeon server with FAH running on all 8 cores:

code:
make
real    1m13.822s
user    1m6.776s
sys     0m4.172s

make -j8
real    0m22.871s
user    1m22.568s
sys     0m4.080s
Granted I'm paying $150 a month, but hey. It's worth it.

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

Maneki Neko posted:

Any reason you looked at the premium version of Office 365 and not the regular offering? The only really significant difference is the office license that's included in the premium version, and the regular Office 365 small business option is $5-6/month depending on how you pay.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/business/compare-office-365-for-business-plans-FX102918419.aspx

I looked at that link and it doesn't show that the regular offering doesn't include the desktop version of Office. That is a plus for me in having that included instead of having to buy it separate as well as pay for email and online collaboration. I suppose I could buy Office outright, but I'm trying to limit my expenditures.

quote:

I haven't used the latest version of Office 365, but I've setup Google Apps for a number of organizations/groups and honestly Google Sites is the weakest part of that offering. It's janky and clunky and while it may work for something super basic, most of the groups that stuck with it did so because they didn't want to pay for anything else. These were all external faci g sites, maybe it's a bit more functional for "internal" facing stuff.

Would you be able to load up something like MediaWiki in there? Would it be useful for one or two users?

It sounds like either way I go, I'm going to need additional hosting for an externally facing site.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Postal posted:

I looked at that link and it doesn't show that the regular offering doesn't include the desktop version of Office. That is a plus for me in having that included instead of having to buy it separate as well as pay for email and online collaboration. I suppose I could buy Office outright, but I'm trying to limit my expenditures.

Would you be able to load up something like MediaWiki in there? Would it be useful for one or two users?

Yeah, if you want the full office license, then yeah, the premium version makes sense, it just throws off the comparison with Google Apps a bit from a pricing/feature standpoint.

For Google Sites, no on mediawiki but as for how useful it is, it really depends on what you want to use it for. Office 365 is likely going to be more robust in that regard.

The nice thing is that you can do a full 30 day trial of each service, so other than time, you're not really losing anything by checking them out.

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain

Pudgygiant posted:

:cool: Dual Xeon server with FAH running on all 8 cores:

code:
make
real    1m13.822s
user    1m6.776s
sys     0m4.172s

make -j8
real    0m22.871s
user    1m22.568s
sys     0m4.080s
Granted I'm paying $150 a month, but hey. It's worth it.

River posted:

Guess I'll join in. Run on an Afterburst VM, on the 'Huge' plan.

time make

real 1m5.849s
user 0m43.505s
sys 0m9.480s

make clean

time make -j4

real 0m15.841s
user 0m49.743s
sys 0m8.297s

$30/month.
:smug:
No folding@home running for me though, ssshhh!

River fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 28, 2013

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, if you want the full office license, then yeah, the premium version makes sense, it just throws off the comparison with Google Apps a bit from a pricing/feature standpoint.

For Google Sites, no on mediawiki but as for how useful it is, it really depends on what you want to use it for. Office 365 is likely going to be more robust in that regard.

The nice thing is that you can do a full 30 day trial of each service, so other than time, you're not really losing anything by checking them out.

Thanks for talking it out with me. I think I have a good idea of how to proceed now. Your last line is really the clincher. I have a little while before I can get started with this, which gives me plenty of time to run both services through their paces. Whichever one I choose, I think I will still need to find a small hosting plan to take care of the external and internal sites I want.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

River posted:

$30/month.
:smug:
No folding@home running for me though, ssshhh!

Yeah but this is what it looks at without FAH going
code:
make
real    0m55.366s
user    0m50.416s
sys     0m3.192s

make -j8
real    0m15.053s
user    0m54.700s
sys     0m3.116s
edit so it's not just a no content smugpost
For anyone in the market for a dedicated server, Limestone Networks has been awesome. Good prices, really great performance, and they've done a couple power cycles / OS reloads without charging me for it.

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 29, 2013

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I was bored and wanted to learn how a webhost worked. I have been using virtualmin to make managing my websites easier and it has been pretty decent. I saw the WHMCS plugin and it got me interested in it so I bought a month and set it up and it seems pretty cool. I set up the website http://merhosting.com and if anyone wants to sign up just use LLJK as the coupon code. I mainly use my VPS for running some game servers (Minecraft, CS 1.6, UT99, etc) and it has plenty of leftover power so feel free to sign up and mess around. Just keep in mind that this is a project but hopefully other people can also use it to learn about making websites or whatever.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Kids didn't hand their homework in on time, but the Linode info leak contains absolutely no customer data. No credit card info, addresses or anything. So if it was your info being passed on to 1337 hax0rz that was worrying you, it's time to stop worrying.

According to the "zine", the FBI were bargaining with Linode because they learned HTP were after a target hosted on Linode. Make of that what you will.

Anyway, I'm still cool with Linode. See little reason to switch based on this experience. Make of the whole thing what you will, though.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Do you have a source for this?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

rawrr posted:

Do you have a source for this?

Are we cool with just linking to the hacker group's own site here? I mean they do have private data stolen from other places on there.

Nobody Interesting fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 7, 2013

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

Nobody Interesting posted:

Are we cool with just linking to the hacker group's own site here? I mean they do have private data stolen from other places on there.

It's probably ok to point people interested to this: http://straylig.ht/zines/HTP5/0x02_Linode.txt

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
So it sounds like CC info etc were indeed accessed, but just never released since Linode namedropped HTP on their blog?

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

rawrr posted:

So it sounds like CC info etc were indeed accessed, but just never released since Linode namedropped HTP on their blog?

It's hard to say for sure since both sides would have reasons not to be honest. But, Linode doesn't have the best track record for security now, and they weren't really forthcoming when all of this was going down, so I would probably lean towards HTP's side of the story being accurate. If I had an active CC with Linode I would change it.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

dvgrhl posted:

It's hard to say for sure since both sides would have reasons not to be honest. But, Linode doesn't have the best track record for security now, and they weren't really forthcoming when all of this was going down, so I would probably lean towards HTP's side of the story being accurate. If I had an active CC with Linode I would change it.

Changing your CC would always be safe/pragmatic, but do you think Linode would risk claiming it's okay - and risk any kind of litigation or fallout from the CC companies over lying like that?

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled
I was going to apply for a sysadmin job at Linode but their bad security record kept me away. I value my sanity too much to be on the at-fault end of that poo poo.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Soiled Meat

Fayk posted:

Changing your CC would always be safe/pragmatic, but do you think Linode would risk claiming it's okay - and risk any kind of litigation or fallout from the CC companies over lying like that?

You'll notice they only claim "We have no evidence decrypted credit card numbers were obtained.", not that they don't have any evidence that encrypted credit card numbers were obtained (hint: they were). https://blog.linode.com/2013/04/16/security-incident-update/. So yeah, I think Linode isn't being 100% forthcoming about the situation. Linode also doesn't address the claim that the private key was stored right on the server with everything else, just that they have a "complex" passphrase on it - which why would we even need to care about unless the private key was indeed taken like claimed.

So yes, I do think Linode is trying to make people think it's all okay when in fact it's worse than what they are letting on.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Is there an easy way to migrate servers and keep all the configuration and installed packages in tact? Having to set everything up again is one of the reasons I haven't migrated yet.

I hear chef and puppet brought up a lot when I google, but they both seem to be more complicated than what I need for a single server.

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?

rawrr posted:

Is there an easy way to migrate servers and keep all the configuration and installed packages in tact? Having to set everything up again is one of the reasons I haven't migrated yet.

I hear chef and puppet brought up a lot when I google, but they both seem to be more complicated than what I need for a single server.

Do you have physical or remote capabilities outside the OS (ipmi/rescue console) on both hosts? Are you moving between different OS/arch or severe hardware platform changes? If yes and no respectively, dd/partimage/clonezilla/$CLONE_APP_OF_CHOICE your existing stuff and write it to the disk of the new thing, chroot in, fix network, install new kernel + modprobe whatever new drivers and boot it up.

If that isn't an option, try dumping the package list and strip versions. Using that list, install the same packages and then pave their /etc/$PACKAGE_NAME with your old one via rsync.

3spades fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 8, 2013

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Can anyone recommend a free/cheap dynamic dns hosting service?

Edit: Went with http://no-ip.com

Bohemian Cowabunga fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 9, 2013

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

No ip has been pretty good for me. I use them to point a domain at my home file server and it always works.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Stealthgerbil posted:

No ip has been pretty good for me. I use them to point a domain at my home file server and it always works.

Nice to know and yeah, thats exactly what I intend to use it for.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

Can anyone recommend a free/cheap dynamic dns hosting service?

Edit: Went with http://no-ip.com

I know you said you already pulled the trigger on something, but I just wanted to throw out a recommendation for https://dns.he.net/

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
Any recommendations on a place to get cheap SSL certificates? Ones that won't make browsers go all apeshit saying it's not a valid certificate? (hence why I'm not using self-generated certs)

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

nescience posted:

Any recommendations on a place to get cheap SSL certificates? Ones that won't make browsers go all apeshit saying it's not a valid certificate? (hence why I'm not using self-generated certs)

StartCom provides free or cheap SSL certificates. I don't remember how much browser penetration they have, but I haven't heard too many complaints.

NameCheap also resells others' certificates at a low price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Namecheap sells Comodo PositiveSSL certs for the cheapest I've found. I run an Internet Serious Business and I haven't had any trouble. They also do free reissues if you migrate webservers or something. Recommended.