Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I'm confused. Are you trying to consolidate your private loan with your Stafford loans? Do you have both subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans? Who is currently holding your debt (who will you owe money to) - is it more then one entity? You know you can select an income based repayment plan, which, based on your nonexistant income, will basically exempt you from payments until you have a real job. How many different payments will you be making if you do nothing?

Edit: To be clear -- I'm confused why you have to consolidate at all. Did you borrow so much money that you exceeded the Stafford (both subsidized and subsidized) limits? If not, you should only be making one payment to whoever holds your debt.

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I'm confused. Are you trying to consolidate your private loan with your Stafford loans? Do you have both subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans? Who is currently holding your debt (who will you owe money to) - is it more then one entity? You know you can select an income based repayment plan, which, based on your nonexistant income, will basically exempt you from payments until you have a real job. How many different payments will you be making if you do nothing?

Edit: To be clear -- I'm confused why you have to consolidate at all. Did you borrow so much money that you exceeded the Stafford (both subsidized and subsidized) limits? If not, you should only be making one payment to whoever holds your debt.
With my Federal and Stafford loans, I never exceeded the lending limit nor did I exhaust them. It was at the point where my Pell Grant was cut-Fall 2012-that I made the decision to stop attending school after I got my Bachelor's degree. I tried, twice, to apply to the General Scholarship fund during my college years but I never succeed. I was a good student but not a great one: I had a 3.01 GPA where most scholarships went to those who maintained at least a 3.5. What I'm trying to do is to consolidate all my loans-Federal, Stafford, and private-so that my debts and payment won't inflate. My loans have been made through only two lenders so I have that as a major advantage.

I chose an income based payment plan. I applied back in April when I had my restaurant job but I didn't go through with it and submit documentation after I lost it. Now that I'm employed through a more stable job, I can reapply with confidence that I will maintain regular payments based on a stable income. Which is what I did.

My Dad pointed something out to me: the reason why Target is training me to work parking lot and front end as a cashier is because the back-to-school shopping season is only months away. And after that, it's Christmas. As long as I work hard, toe the line, and, most importantly, follow instructions, I'll have lots and lots of hours. This is all based off of assumptions and I realize that. But I feel good enough to apply for an income based payment plan right now.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Student loan consolidation is not all that uncommon, particularly where multiple lenders are involved. Which can happen even when you're just dealing with subsidized loans.

Sabaka
Aug 12, 2005

docbeard posted:

Student loan consolidation is not all that uncommon, particularly where multiple lenders are involved. Which can happen even when you're just dealing with subsidized loans.

It's a bad idea to consolidate federal loans.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

It is also probably a bad idea for Benny to plan based on income before he survives his first day on a job.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Sabaka posted:

It's a bad idea to consolidate federal loans.
Damnit. Well at least I applied for an income based payment plan. I'll look into Federal loan deferment soon.

Sabaka
Aug 12, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

Damnit. Well at least I applied for an income based payment plan. I'll look into Federal loan deferment soon.

Yeah do that. If you consolidate you convert your federal loans, with all their perks and special options for poor people, into private loans that are much less flexible. There's a good student loan thread floating around either A/T or BFC, you would be wise to check it out.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Yep. Also remember that the rates on your Federal loans will probably be slashed in the next few years - the Department of Education loves to lower rates after the fact to encourage repayment.

Stafford loans are federal loans by the way -- I don't know if you have additional loans outside of Stafford (Parent PLUS?), which is what I'm unclear about.

I have a strong feeling that in the next decade that they're going to reappraise how student loans function, and start automatically forgiving debt for those who have 5 years of nonstop payments.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I smell AWG in the picture. Benny, work for a while before you get to ahead of yourself. I know the Federal Debt Management Collection system very well and you don't want that.

Also, why did Pell go down for you? Pell has risen if I'm not mistaken.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

They cut the total amount you could receive from Pell Grants, both total value and total number of semesters.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

They cut the total amount you could receive from Pell Grants, both total value and total number of semesters.

Yeah, you used to be able to get like 192 credits worth if you held off on graduating, I think its 120 now, with a few more granted with appeals.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

Benny the Snake posted:

And as I've said before, my other hobbies include movies and writing but I dunno I haven't been all that open about my hobbies in my continued search for finding work.

Okay. So now that I have my job at Target, I can now move on phase two. I just re-applied for loan consolidation now that I have a job again. I'm going to send in the forms tomorrow and hope for the best. That's the big thing that's keeping me from moving out: the six month grace period ends this month. Once I can get a handle on how much I'll need to pay in relation to how many hours I can put in, I can move on to phase three: moving out.

I'm just hoping you have something else to look forward to when you aren't working because retail can be mind-numbing.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

Why do you need to consolidate your loans? Do you have private loans? Why were you taking more than Stafford loans to go to school?

Question 2: Why is he spending gobs of money on comics and movies when he has a giant pile of outstanding loans?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I bet the selfish bastard has a fridge too.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Arch Stanton posted:

Question 2: Why is he spending gobs of money on comics and movies when he has a giant pile of outstanding loans?
Practically all of my financial aid went into tuition, textbooks. For my first two years, I hand to take out more because I was living on campus. I didn't loan gobs of money and I didn't spend it all on stuff. What's left is in a savings account which I haven't touched yet. Why haven't I used it on a car or moved into someplace yet? Because I've learned real quick that it's not smart to rely on a nest egg when you have no job. Upkeep will eat away at the savings.

I looked into the consolidation/income based payment plan for practicality reasons. I can make payments. But it's more sensible to have a payment plan based on my income so that I can continuously make payments as opposed to draining my nest egg.

And no, I don't have a fridge.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 7, 2013

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

OK, you still haven't answered my question. What loans are you trying to consolidate? You have Stafford loans, a private loan, and what else?

I get the impression that you don't understand what consolidating a loan means.

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
The fridge thing was a joke.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

OK, you still haven't answered my question. What loans are you trying to consolidate? You have Stafford loans, a private loan, and what else?

I get the impression that you don't understand what consolidating a loan means.
Actually that's pretty much it. And yes I know what loan consolidation means which is why I went on an income based payment plan instead.

Anyway, off to work. Today is cashier training.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

What are the terms of your private loan?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

What are the terms of your private loan?
I printed them. I loaned out only 2 grand, so it's not too bad. I'll find the printout and get back to you. That was during the year when my school grant was cut.

Anyway, today was my first day as cash register. I trained for about thirty minutes where I was shadowed by another person working register. See while bagging merchandize, I was playing Tetris. It's a family joke: try to fit everything in its place like you're fitting Tetris blocks. So I didn't make much eye contact outside of "Hi. Find everything okay?", offering them a credit card, and exchanging payment. I focused all on bagging the groceries and products: bagging meats separately and bagging like things (paper products, glass, perishables, non-perishables, etc.) together. My shadower jumped in only a few times when I either missed something or accidentally did something wrong. Nothing too serious to where I had to call a manager or do a refund. I still have to be trained to handle alcohol-the system was down so none of us could take the test.

Other than that, I did well.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Benny the Snake posted:

Just remember to never put chips or bread on the bottom of a bag, and keep glass items separate from each other so they don't clank together. Oh, and it's appreciated if the bagger or cashier checks any egg cartons to make sure none are broken (I don't know if anyone does this anymore, but we always did when I was a bagger).

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Congrats on turning 17 OP!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Benny the Snake posted:

:ohdear:

Third self-assessment's the charm, I hope.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Ursine Asylum posted:

Honestly with the kind of jobs he's been working it wouldn't be too far-fetched that he did ok at them but they were looking for someone who would pick up the faster pace... faster.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Ursine Asylum posted:

Well look, I'm only saying that I think I did good because I want to be optimistic. I won't know until today when I go in to start parking lot training. I'll ask my supervisor how I did and ask to do cashier training and shadowing when business is slow enough to where I can take my time and learn the ropes.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Benny the Snake posted:

Well look, I'm only saying that I think I did good because I want to be optimistic. I won't know until today when I go in to start parking lot training. I'll ask my supervisor how I did and ask to do cashier training and shadowing when business is slow enough to where I can take my time and learn the ropes.

Don't ask.

First, it'll put doubts in their mind and make them question how well you actually did. That isn't good.

Second, whatever the truth is the answer will be "Yeah, fine kid..." After all, who wants to deal with the bullshit a true answer could bring?

Third, it's a drat uncomfortable position to put someone in. Don't do that.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Benny the Snake posted:

For Christ's sake, don't do this. Just show up, pay attention, and do your best. Don't ask for a lower difficulty setting!

I mean, not to be rude, but people with severe intellectual disabilities successfully hold jobs as cashiers and baggers and cart corralers. Asking the supervisor to go easy on you in training for this gig would be really sad.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Benny

AlbieQuirky posted:

For Christ's sake, don't do this. Just show up, pay attention, and do your best. Don't ask for a lower difficulty setting!

I mean, not to be rude, but people with severe intellectual disabilities successfully hold jobs as cashiers and baggers and cart corralers. Asking the supervisor to go easy on you in training for this gig would be really sad.

Benny, please look into medicating your ADD. I think it would make a world of difference for you. Average people don't need to concentrate so hard on bagging or cashiering or cart corralling. You have just been living like this for so long, your perspective is all screwy.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Eris posted:

Benny

Benny, please look into medicating your ADD. I think it would make a world of difference for you. Average people don't need to concentrate so hard on bagging or cashiering or cart corralling. You have just been living like this for so long, your perspective is all screwy.

Reply to this! Over-analyze this! The therapy part! PAY ATTENTION TO THE "Get therapy" POSTS!

Is therapy possible, right now? Are you under your parent's health insurance plan? This is all playing out like that episode of Spoungebob when he hires Patrick to work at the Krusty Krab and tries to teach him how to open a jar.

Your gonna get fired, eventually, if you don't get therapy.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I won't say anything then. I think I'm making more out of what happened my first time than what it actually was.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
:f5h: Look right up, at the two posts above the one you just made! Hit the quote button and reply to either/or!

Dude, this isn't just a one time thing that can be fixed with "K guys, I'll try not to overthink stuff." You've been doing it the entire, 42 page thread. It's coasted you multiple opportunities. You have a severe disconnect when it comes to prioritizing information and responding accordingly.

You're more likely to get trolled along by a lovely post than you are to provide a comprehensive reply to a serious one, with good content. Replace "post" with "conversation" and I'm sure it applies to real life, too!

cname fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 8, 2013

Eris
Mar 20, 2002

Benny the Snake posted:

I won't say anything then. I think I'm making more out of what happened my first time than what it actually was.

Because you need therapy. Some sort of help. More than SA. This isn't normal, and everything could be so much better for you.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
The income based repayment plan is calculated based on each previous year's reported income, so what you are currently making right now won't matter until they recalculate for next year's payments. The minimum payment is like $50 per month, even if you reported $0 on your 1040. Once you are making real money, they take into account the current poverty line so they won't bleed you totally dry. Of course this is the kind of stuff you should have already read and figured out before applying for it.

DOTA Uninstaller
Jul 13, 2005
Causing indigestion the world over.
You're playing Tetris with people's loving groceries and poo poo. Please, please, please get your ADD treated. I'd expect my 5 year old to do something like that. And he is on medication.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Eris posted:

Because you need therapy. Some sort of help. More than SA. This isn't normal, and everything could be so much better for you.

Quoting for truth.

Benny, sooner or later, you are going to realize how many opportunities you have squandered by refusing to address your underlying problems. You want this to happen NOW, while you're at the beginning of your career, and not when you're a 60 year old man with a college degree and a passion for writing who has spent the best years of his life drifting from one menial job to the next. Right now, you have a lousy economy to blame, but that won't last forever. There is an overwhelming consensus in this thread that you need to see a mental health professional and address the ADHD symptoms you are clearly experiencing. Please do it.

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001
If I understand you correctly, your "nest egg" is money you borrowed sitting in a savings account that you're both not using and paying interest on to the lender? Why are you not just putting that straight down on the principal of your loan to both lower the monthly payment and saving you money that you are currently throwing away to interest payments while your borrowed money sits in a bank?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Also, you didn't "loan out" any money. People loaned it out to you, you crazy english major.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

CountingCrows posted:

If I understand you correctly, your "nest egg" is money you borrowed sitting in a savings account that you're both not using and paying interest on to the lender? Why are you not just putting that straight down on the principal of your loan to both lower the monthly payment and saving you money that you are currently throwing away to interest payments while your borrowed money sits in a bank?

I do this with a slightly-more-than-inflation government loan. But I consider it emergency money.

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

Namarrgon posted:

I do this with a slightly-more-than-inflation government loan. But I consider it emergency money.

Benny's list of emergencies:

-a new comic book comes out that Mom won't buy because comics are the devil.
-brother has another temper tantrum and throws remote through the TV, mom refuses to buy new tv because TV is the devil.

Basically, I don't think Benny is in a place in his life where he needs to waste money like this for "emergencies", but I'd rather not start this derail if you disagree. If you live on your own with no possible parental support, then it's a different situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I don't have work tomorrow. I'm going to school to the health center to see a doctor. Once I get diagnosed officially with ADD, I can seek medication and other treatment. The main reason why I'm dragging my feat is that I'm unsure of the cost. Nobody in my family, including myself, has health insurance. I might still be able to seek resources from Cal Poly for free but I'm not sure. I'll go in tomorrow and find out.

CountingCrows posted:

It's an emergency fund, more than anything. I've been receiving regular letters from my lender about the principal and the interest but I haven't revived payment slips yet. Now that I have work, I can use my nest egg to start making payments and have something to put back in. I'll contact my lender about a payment plan soon.

Oh and by the way: Target offers health, dental, and visual after a thousand hours. So I have an extra incentive to stay with them.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 8, 2013

• Locked thread