Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Red Mundus posted:

Thanks!

For fucks sake I have another problem. My game glitched out and I accrued -37 karma out of nowhere. Anyway I can fix this or cheat it up back to 0? I basically cannot enter towns.

If your level is 6 or higher, you can let the guards kill you and get +10 karma, which would put you over the -30 karma limit and let you use towns again. You'll lose gold this way, but not items so long as your house is nearby the town you died at.

Alternatively you can follow the suggestions above on the last page, and there's a chance you can while farting around find a random body to bury for 5 extra karma.

e: So, runes. You can use these in a town for the same effect as a moongate, which can be very handy if none randomly decided to spawn in the towns you've been going to. Think of them as portable moongates, even. General vendors carry them and if you want easy access to the moongate of wealth or just want to experiment more easily, runes are the way.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Red Mundus posted:

Trying to play a performer but everyone and their mother is literally killing me with rocks. I picked up the horn in the cemetery east of Lumiest but have no idea how to raise performing other than dying every other day.

Does your character have the Traveling skill? If your character doesn't have the Traveling skill, the first hour or so of your game should be spent scrounging up the platinum coins to buy it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Any tricks/exploits to raising your luck?

What about Fame?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

Any tricks/exploits to raising your luck?

Kill rabbits. Lots and lots of rabbits. Eat their tails on the very rare chance they drop them.

quote:

What about Fame?

Raising your Fame is not necessarily desirable. It'll increase your salary and give you access to new quests, but it'll also increase your tax and generally ramp the difficulty of quests and overland encounters significantly. Generally speaking I find myself lowering it more often than I do raising it. Once you start taking on harder dungeons it'll skyrocket.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Angry Diplomat posted:

I found this moongate and nabbed the 700million. My little girl stole the billion.

Gonna be some crazy goddamn skills on that kid :psyduck:

e: oh jesus I went into that moongate again and my money went negative and now I can't buy anything ever :stare:

Yeah, you will probably want to keep your money under 2.14 Billion.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

I got a quickling from a scroll of ally. Its even faster than a bell and starts with a bunch of equipment slots. It also grabbed a billion gold from a kitty bank in a moongate. I'm pretty sure I'm the sidekick and its the one actually saving the world at this point.

Also a beggar came to my house and I gave him 70 million gold when I chose to take pity on him.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
From what I recall, as awesome as quicklings ar at offense, they're amongst the puniest monsters in the game and die if someone so much as gives them a dirty look, so be careful with it.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Stelas posted:

Raising your Fame is not necessarily desirable. It'll increase your salary and give you access to new quests, but it'll also increase your tax and generally ramp the difficulty of quests and overland encounters significantly. Generally speaking I find myself lowering it more often than I do raising it. Once you start taking on harder dungeons it'll skyrocket.

I think fame (or is it level?) is what determines the amount of platinum coins you're likely to get from jobs, so it's definitely good to raise -- it also eventually unlocks new job types that are guaranteed to give out at least two platinum and great items. Those loving rogue squads become a major pain in the rear end at high enough Fame, though.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
This little girl cannot loving stop eating my compost. No little girl get out of the goddamn compost pile. That rotting cherry jelly is there because I want to turn it into nutrient-rich soil to feed to my crops. Look I just baked you a loving cookie right in front of you, if you'll just step away from the compost I'll give it to yNO STOP IT stop running between boxes ramming your face into piles of rotting refuse every time I displace you jesus loving christ woman what the gently caress

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

This little girl cannot loving stop eating my compost. No little girl get out of the goddamn compost pile. That rotting cherry jelly is there because I want to turn it into nutrient-rich soil to feed to my crops. Look I just baked you a loving cookie right in front of you, if you'll just step away from the compost I'll give it to yNO STOP IT stop running between boxes ramming your face into piles of rotting refuse every time I displace you jesus loving christ woman what the gently caress

I loving laughed out loud at this. Gonna play this game so hard. So you have to feed your pets or they die?

Also whats a good race to play as a beginner?

edit: Vvv ah, makes sense.

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 8, 2013

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Bash Ironfist posted:

I loving laughed out loud at this. Gonna play this game so hard. So you have to feet your pets or they die?

Also whats a good race to play as a beginner?

You don't have to feed them, but it can increase their stats and potential if you do.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
They will also run towards virtually any given food supply and shove it down their gullet if they can, regardless of what it is.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ProfessorCirno posted:

They will also run towards virtually any given food supply and shove it down their gullet if they can, regardless of what it is.

If you use a tamer's whip on your pets, they'll stop eating food off the ground and will only eat food that you specifically transfer into their inventory, and they'll also stop picking up money and gems off the ground.

Also, use a stethoscope on your pets and they'll permanently display not only their HP bars but also their hunger status. If the HP bar is blue, they are full and won't eat anything; if the HP bar is red, they are hungry and will eat whatever you give them or (if you haven't used the whip on them) anything off the ground.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 8, 2013

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Bash Ironfist posted:

I loving laughed out loud at this. Gonna play this game so hard. So you have to feed your pets or they die?

No, thank goodness. Pets don't need to eat or sleep.

On the other hand, in their default state they'll occasionally get hungry and pick up food items or drinks and stuff them in their face-hole with no regard to their personal safety or that of anyone around them, and they'll pick up money, 'junk rocks' and 'ore pieces'. There's an item that makes them stop doing this poo poo, but it's only in Elona+.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

Also, use a stethoscope on your pets and they'll permanently display not only their HP bars but also their hunger status. If the HP bar is blue, they are full and won't eat anything; if the HP bar is red, they are hungry and will eat whatever you give them or (if you haven't used the whip on them) anything off the ground.

It's the opposite for me. Blue is hungry, red is satisfied.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So the tutorial has you eat a corpse and then you trip balls and freak out because you just ate a loving corpse. This is gonna be good.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
This weapon started out as a 10d3 made of cloth, but I saw it invoked Healing Rain, so let's ROLL THE loving DICE. Since it's Godly level, change materials scrolls won't work, so I used the adamantium kit I had gotten from a quest. BAM 10d6. It's got some negative weight lifting, but gently caress it, it's going on the bell anyway.

Edit: At 50,000 fame, you start getting Challenger quests, where you just fight 1 boss on a copy of the town map. The boss drops great equipment if it's a type that wears it, and the reward equipment is insane too. I was considering dropping my fame down, but not if it means I can't do these anymore.

Double Edit: Just had a quest to slay a champion Queen, she dropped a spirit cloth ring ($$$), two miracle items, and two Great items. Jesus christ.

Devor fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 8, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roobanguy posted:

It's the opposite for me. Blue is hungry, red is satisfied.

Ah yes, I'd gotten the colours mixed up.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

What does this Miracle and Great stuff mean?

Woden
May 6, 2006
Generally it refers to its quality before you get it fully IDed.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Corridor posted:

What does this Miracle and Great stuff mean?

Miracle is a randomly named item. It usually has pretty good attributes on it. Great is just a generic item that is above average.

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups
Hey folks, just got to level 21, have a ranch, farm, shop and cozy house up and things are going well. On my way to building a museum, luckily I have been saving all those cards and figurines.

Just had a few questions

How do you initiate your god to give you a gift? I understand the favor building and maximum from the wiki. But do I have to do something specific for the gift to be given? This whole time I have been praying to see if it was going to show me my favor level. Apparently it takes 15% away each time you pray : (.

I seem to missing the point of the ranch. I am not getting a steady stream of meat from there, I get more meat from anatomy and killing stuff (I am currently just breeding wild horses 800+ breeding power). I just found out that you can't have more than one breeder per ranch. How are all of you managing your ranch? Do you kill them as they are born, or do you use it for eggs and milk and stuff?

What is the best way to increase the potential for your attributes? I have a maid for my house and the guild masters come around every so often. Every time they stop by I have enough pp to pay them, but that doesn't seem to be enough. I have been eating a lot of fruit and vegetables and my stats are going up pretty well ~45 average atm, but all my potentials are at hopeless. Any advice here?

Thanks for all your help!

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Oh one other question.

How do you get seeds from rotting food?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Does the choice of 3 lines after you kill Zeome on Lesimas 45 matter for anything?

Woden
May 6, 2006
Blessed potions of potential are the best way to up attribute potentials. If you invest up to 100 in a magic vendor they should show up there pretty often, you can save scum to get better options.

For the ranch I just use them for eggs/milk, guess I should make a rabbit farm or 10 too to try and nab some tails but yeah they kinda suck. Takes forever to get things and what you get doesn't really do much.

Seeds used to drop from rotting corpses if you were a follower of Kumiromi but i think they got rid of that in +. To get seeds just do some harvest quests, pretty sure that's where I was getting them from.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Johnnyonoes posted:

How do you initiate your god to give you a gift? I understand the favor building and maximum from the wiki. But do I have to do something specific for the gift to be given? This whole time I have been praying to see if it was going to show me my favor level. Apparently it takes 15% away each time you pray :

When your make an offering that raises your favor past the threshold for a gift, you'll get a second message from your god.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
What should I be looking to upgrade to once I've got a new character decked out in glass? Just higher PV materials, or are there specific resistances / bonuses I should be looking out for?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Angry Diplomat posted:

This, I feel, is elona.txt maybe missing a few pregnancies and dragons everywhere, but definitely close.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What should I be looking to upgrade to once I've got a new character decked out in glass? Just higher PV materials, or are there specific resistances / bonuses I should be looking out for?

Fire and Cold to prevent your poo poo from being broken and Chaos and Nerve to avoid getting stunlocked to death.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Johnnyonoes posted:

How do you initiate your god to give you a gift? I understand the favor building and maximum from the wiki. But do I have to do something specific for the gift to be given? This whole time I have been praying to see if it was going to show me my favor level. Apparently it takes 15% away each time you pray : (.

You know you have to make offerings to your god, right?

Like, a LOT of offerings.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Johnnyonoes posted:

Oh one other question.

How do you get seeds from rotting food?

You don't anymore, now you get them from harvesting quests.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Bremen posted:

You don't anymore, now you get them from harvesting quests.

That's only in Elona+ though, isn't it?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Does the choice of 3 lines after you kill Zeome on Lesimas 45 matter for anything?

Only the final stats page, where it goes 'upon killing him, you said:'.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Yo this game owns but the little girl thing makes it really weird sometimes:

:kimchi:

About an hour later I finally notice something less endearing...

:stare:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Your little girl is growing up :unsmith:
e. I actually like the last line there. Which one of you is that?

So I keep reading about some people saying they're trying not to level too much, or that killing a lot of stuff in Elona is bad, or that they're deliberately wearing gear that disrupts growth. What's this all about?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Corridor posted:

So I keep reading about some people saying they're trying not to level too much, or that killing a lot of stuff in Elona is bad, or that they're deliberately wearing gear that disrupts growth. What's this all about?

Your general XP level doesn't actually do a whole lot. It provides you with some HP and MP and some feats, sure, but that's about it. The better your skills are relative to your level, and the more you slow down your general xp, the better you can handle things at that level.

... it's all a bit moot, though, given most difficulty level stuff works off fame.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Corridor posted:

Your little girl is growing up :unsmith:
e. I actually like the last line there. Which one of you is that?

They were talking about IVAN, not Elona.

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008

Corridor posted:

You know you have to make offerings to your god, right?

Like, a LOT of offerings.

61 Veggies for the first pet to be exact. Not counting any large corpses. Doesn't seem like that much.

My point that I was making is that I was constantly praying, which was shaving 15% of my total favor off every time I did it...

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Johnnyonoes posted:

61 Veggies for the first pet to be exact. Not counting any large corpses. Doesn't seem like that much.

The problem is more the Faith requirement - your favor is capped to (Faith x 100) + 25. You'll need Faith of 15 after items to have a high enough favor cap for the pet, 25 for the gem/treasure, and 40 for the weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

ProfessorCirno posted:

They were talking about IVAN, not Elona.

No this was mostly in #elona chat.