Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Was Life of George any good? The local Walmart has it on clearance for $10, and I own an iPhone so I was thinking of picking it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

The Rage posted:

The X-Wing's release date was May 4th, so it was up for sale, not on sale.

And they look great!

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Sigh. The thing can't go on sale soon enough.

And I may have to buy up a few of those cockpits for my own use. I like interesting cockpits in my own creations...

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I have a love for the CMF. However, I loving hate trying to get them all and/or feeling them up in the stores. I think I'm just going to buy a box at a time for each series now that I have a better paying job and maybe sell the extras I don't want.

Anyone know a good place to get sealed boxes? I'd rather get them sealed then have someone pre-pick through them too.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

jeeves posted:

I have a love for the CMF. However, I loving hate trying to get them all and/or feeling them up in the stores. I think I'm just going to buy a box at a time for each series now that I have a better paying job and maybe sell the extras I don't want.

Anyone know a good place to get sealed boxes? I'd rather get them sealed then have someone pre-pick through them too.

I hate feeling them up in public, too, but I don't usually want all of them. Try going to stores like Target that use the open compartment display boxes (and stick them at the back end of aisles). It results in fewer people giving you the crazy eye while you're feeling 80 packages in search of a Mr. Gold. :)

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

jeeves posted:

If you're in the Northwest US, Fred Meyer's a great place, if you're there in the early days of the release. They'll usually have a couple open boxes and some sealed stacked behind them.

From what I've seen of Walmart, Target, and TRU, they're not good options since I haven't seen them put sealed boxes on the shelves and often remove all the packages and put them in endcap dispensers.

Ebay's another option for recent series. There are multiple sealed S9 boxes on ebay for basically MSRP (~$180). There are even sealed boxes of S10, but I'm not sure how much I'd trust that with Mr. Golds still going for upwards of $400.

According to the website, only 144 Mr. Golds have been found. But I'd guess that the redemption rate of the code is 50% at best.
I wonder if Lego released all 5000 in this first wave, or if they're sending them out as S10 waves are sent.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 7, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I bought a few sealed cases of series 9 from a dude in Poland for around ~125 each, even with shipping being like 70 dollars that is still way cheaper than buying domestically.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

So, the Starfighters group over on flickr has a new monthly challenge up for May, R-Type ships.
I've made one submussion so far and have asked for feedback from several sources but would like to know what goons think of it.

RX-02 Jackal by AzMiLion, on Flickr

I made a pretty standard R-Type then threw some Turbo at it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

AzMiLion posted:

So, the Starfighters group over on flickr has a new monthly challenge up for May, R-Type ships.
I've made one submussion so far and have asked for feedback from several sources but would like to know what goons think of it.

RX-02 Jackal by AzMiLion, on Flickr

I made a pretty standard R-Type then threw some Turbo at it.

It's perfect as is. So sleek

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
Surprised this hasn't been posted.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/lego-apologizes-cat-calling-sticker-120924275.html

Basically a dad was "appalled" because of a sticker that had a construction worker on it saying, "Hey, babe!" I wonder if they'd put the the set back on the shelf if I wrote a letter saying it offends me that they're taking the product off the shelves because of this guy. :(

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Officer Farva posted:

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/lego-apologizes-cat-calling-sticker-120924275.html

Basically a dad was "appalled" because of a sticker that had a construction worker on it saying, "Hey, babe!" I wonder if they'd put the the set back on the shelf if I wrote a letter saying it offends me that they're taking the product off the shelves because of this guy. :(

But they aren't 'taking the set off shelves.' It's an old set, not even in production anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if Lego just ignored the rabble until now as a quiet 'gently caress you' because that's a seriously dumb thing to get all twisted up about.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Officer Farva posted:

Why? It was the sensible choice on Lego's part.
Honestly I'm more surprised that they let it get all the way through production before pulling it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lizard Combatant posted:

Honestly I'm more surprised that they let it get all the way through production before pulling it.

It offends you too then?

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
It's a pretty stupid thing to have on a children's toy. :shrug:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Agreed. I'm offended Lego decided that was ever an acceptable thing to commit to printing.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
The lengths people go to to be offended these days are pretty hilarious, especially in situations that don't even involve them. I guess that's the power of the internet!

I'd probably feel different if it was a sticker of him grabbing a woman's rear end or something but him saying hi babe to an unknown person seems fairly tame. Sounds like it wasn't even Lego's doing anyway but a third party that licensed the Lego name.

Edit: this was pretty funny from the comments

quote:

When asked to a comment on the 'babe', Lego Construction Guy said she was a real 'brick house'.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 7, 2013

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
So it's ok to shame and belittle if it's a kids toy?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Lego didn't do something grossly negligent - that made a play on the 'construction workers make catcalls to passing women' thing. Lego also produces sets featuring:

- Guys wearing black and robbing banks
- Dracula/zombies/other monsters, who I'm pretty sure don't just host picnics all day
- Soldiers
- Cowboys and Indians
- Knights, Orcs and Ogres, all of whom brandish swords, clubs, and spears
- Jedis with laser swords that cut people in half and lop off hands

Suggesting Lego encourages/supports a certain behavior is reaching pretty hard. If parents are going to start protesting every set, and cracking down on certain themes, we're going to have some pretty boring set themes.

ANYWAY

Tyson's Corner Lego Store has series 10 minifigs in stock!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Red posted:

Suggesting Lego encourages/supports a certain behavior is reaching pretty hard. If parents are going to start protesting every set, and cracking down on certain themes, we're going to have some pretty boring set themes.

Yeah, truly the world of LEGO would be a much duller one without... casual sexual harassment? What are you even trying to say here?

EDIT: like I'm not sure why this was a big enough deal to be worth reporting on, and I'm even less sure why it's apparently worth defending

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Norns posted:

It offends you too then?

Not particularly, but I do think they made the right choice.

Red posted:

Lego didn't do something grossly negligent - that made a play on the 'construction workers make catcalls to passing women' thing. Lego also produces sets featuring:

- Guys wearing black and robbing banks
- Dracula/zombies/other monsters, who I'm pretty sure don't just host picnics all day
- Soldiers
- Cowboys and Indians
- Knights, Orcs and Ogres, all of whom brandish swords, clubs, and spears
- Jedis with laser swords that cut people in half and lop off hands

The difference: Villain characters are just that, villains.
Normalising sexual harassment (cat calls) in regular civilian sets isn't a great idea.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Yeah, truly the world of LEGO would be a much duller one without... casual sexual harassment? What are you even trying to say here?

EDIT: like I'm not sure why this was a big enough deal to be worth reporting on, and I'm even less sure why it's apparently worth defending

Exactly this.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lizard Combatant posted:

Not particularly, but I do think they made the right choice.

The difference: Villain characters are just that, villains.
Normalising sexual harassment (cat calls) in regular civilian sets isn't a great idea.

Exactly this.

Does this mean I have to turn in my Princess Leia slave girl figure now? Because you know.... Slavery ain't cool.

Y'all are silly.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Gabriel Pope posted:

I think a 10-year old kid doesn't put as much weight and thought into these things as much as parents or people in this thread. If it bothers you, or you're uncomfortable with the subject, don't let your kid have/see the sticker. Otherwise, ignore it. I doubt very much a Lego sticker saying "HEY BABE!" is what sets him off towards a life of visiting whorehouses and beating his wife and kids. Most kids will see the sticker and equate it to a skateboarding Lego kid yelling "COOL!".

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LingcodKilla posted:

Does this mean I have to turn in my Princess Leia slave girl figure now? Because you know.... Slavery ain't cool.

Y'all are silly.

Unless the construction worker was clearly a villain in the set he was featured in, this is a specious comparison.

That Leia was made to be a slave by a literal alien monster and then rescued by her friends does not equal "slavery is ok"

Anyway, post more cool lego stuff. Swoosh!

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
According to one of the employees, three Mr. Golds have been found so far at my local Lego Store - South Coast Plaza, in Costa Mesa, CA. I had some credit (from coworkers/friends using my VIP card) and got 4 random figs; ended up with a ship captain, revolutionary soldier, native brave, and baseball player. Not a super exciting series, but these were all fine. The baseball player really needs a bat or ball or something.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Red posted:

I think a 10-year old kid doesn't put as much weight and thought into these things as much as parents or people in this thread. If it bothers you, or you're uncomfortable with the subject, don't let your kid have/see the sticker. Otherwise, ignore it. I doubt very much a Lego sticker saying "HEY BABE!" is what sets him off towards a life of visiting whorehouses and beating his wife and kids. Most kids will see the sticker and equate it to a skateboarding Lego kid yelling "COOL!".

That's exactly what normalising is though. Skateboarders shout "cool!", construction workers shout at passing women.

LingcodKilla posted:

Y'all are silly.

As Trent said, this is a specious comparison.

Come on people, I'm not saying that this is some egregious error and we should all boycott this evil brand, but it wasn't a good look either. Someone kicked up a fuss, it got attention and Lego chose to respond. Personally I think they made the right choice by admitting their poor judgement and correcting it. Ask yourself, why are you defending it? I hope it's just because you feel that Lego has been unfairly maligned and not because you think casual sexism is worth defending. If it's the former: it's ok, everyone makes mistakes and this was a pretty innocent one that Lego admirably corrected. This is the same company that sends kids replacement parts and the occasional out of production set. But if it's the latter, well...

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 7, 2013

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Lizard Combatant posted:

As Trent said, this is a specious comparison.

It's all specious considering we're talking about contrived situations centering around the nonexistent lives of inanimate plastic people. Let it go already.

Edit:VVV At the risk of being called an anti-Dentite bastard, holy poo poo dude rape culture?

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 7, 2013

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

ChesterJT posted:

It's all specious considering we're talking about contrived situations centering around the nonexistent lives of inanimate plastic people. Let it go already.

It should not be let go, it should be confronted and rectified. Rape culture needs to end and confronting it at even turn, yes even with Lego is valid and important. Is teaching a 8 year old boy that calling a woman babe is ok? Everything begins with childhood.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

ChesterJT posted:

We have "let it go". Lego has "let it go".

Really the only people who won't "let it go" are those who think Lego shouldn't have responded the way they did. They weren't bullied into submission, they looked at the set and said "Whoops, that was a little careless. Sorry folks."

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

ChesterJT posted:

Edit:VVV At the risk of being called an anti-Dentite bastard, holy poo poo dude rape culture?

I hate to derail the thread further but it is an important issue and cat calling does go along with rape culture. Take a minute to read this short post http://www.stopstreetharassment.org/2010/11/cat-calling-and-rape-culture-go-hand-in-hand/ . A lot of us in here are guys and probably haven't experience much cat calling, if any. People are reacting strongly to the stickers because it is a real issue, and it's an issue that a lot of people brush off.

We all love LEGO but it's okay and important to be critical at times of something we enjoy.

That said, does anyone own one of those iPhone LEGO cases? The sort with studs on the back? Would you recommend them?

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
There really ought to be an amendment to Godwin's Law about using "rape culture" in reference to little plastic bricks.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I'd love to not read about this rape culture in Lego anymore, thanks in advance.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's cool for you because you can forget it exists, you can close this thread and go for years without remembering that this poo poo happens in reality, but somewhere in this country a woman was harassed on the street and then went into a children's toy store and saw a child's toy doing the same thing.

There are people whose experience differs from yours in this world. Maybe have some empathy for them once in a while.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Torael_7 posted:

Sigh. The thing can't go on sale soon enough.

And I may have to buy up a few of those cockpits for my own use. I like interesting cockpits in my own creations...

It's pretty cool, it has a great side profile. Don't know why they didn't print it, and the stickers for it seem... stickier than normal Lego. It comes with doubles, which is good, because I hosed up applying the largest sticker first and you can't reapply once it gets stuck due to the clear part getting all cloudy, although I've seen people suggest using water to apply it. Which vaguely recalls to me a childhood memory of model airplane assembly...

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Didn't decals work that way? You cut them out, then use a moist paint brush to slide them off and onto the model.

Az: sick build. I have very little knowledge of R-Type so I don't know if that's "up to code" or whatever, but it's a great design either way. The lead bit in front of it is a great touch. I'm guessing it's common to R-Types?

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Dogen posted:

although I've seen people suggest using water to apply it. Which vaguely recalls to me a childhood memory of model airplane assembly...

Oh gently caress.

Waterslide decals are part of why I never moved from Legos to models. :v:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Eurobricks is saying the UCS B-Wing is being discontinued June 1st, which I guess explains the ridiculous discount last week. It's a shame; I really like the model, I was planning to get it eventually, it was just always too expensive. Whatever, I waste too much money on these things already.

Speaking of which, I wasn't really sold on the LOTR Corsairs ship, but by my count it contains at least 9 chains, and 16 shields, and Peter Jackson, so...

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 8, 2013

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010

Krazyface posted:

Eurobricks is saying the UCS B-Wing is being discontinued June 1st, which I guess explains the ridiculous discount last week. It's a shame; I really like the model, I was planning to get it eventually, it was just always too expensive. Whatever, I waste too much money on these things already.

Speaking of which, I wasn't really sold on the LOTR Corsairs ship, but by my count it contains at least 9 chains, and 16 shields, and Peter Jackson, so...

Wait seriously? God drat I should have bought some more when I had the chance then. I guess it sold pretty terribly, but I think the UCS Jedi Starfighter had a longer run and that wasn't very popular(until it was dropped to like 50 dollars) too. In other news, the three I did manage to order shipped today. Too bad I won't be able to even see them until like August.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Ville Valo posted:

According to one of the employees, three Mr. Golds have been found so far at my local Lego Store - South Coast Plaza, in Costa Mesa, CA. I had some credit (from coworkers/friends using my VIP card) and got 4 random figs; ended up with a ship captain, revolutionary soldier, native brave, and baseball player. Not a super exciting series, but these were all fine. The baseball player really needs a bat or ball or something.

I want that brave so bad. I might stop by the Lego store in Fashion Valley, CA and get a few just so I can hit 300 points for 15$ credit so I can get one of those new Superman sets super cheap :getin: Does anyone know if those are in store yet, or just online? Also I hope they come out with new Thor sets :3:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I've seen the new Superman sets (and series 10) in a couple stores in Aus, so I'm sure they'll be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Guzwar posted:

Didn't decals work that way? You cut them out, then use a moist paint brush to slide them off and onto the model.

Az: sick build. I have very little knowledge of R-Type so I don't know if that's "up to code" or whatever, but it's a great design either way. The lead bit in front of it is a great touch. I'm guessing it's common to R-Types?

Yep, It's the Force device, The design is mostly up to code, i just applied the same design philosophy to it that i did to the Vic Vipers to end up with my Turbo Viper series.
I also went and made it a brother

RX-03 Hydra by AzMiLion, on Flickr