Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Corridor posted:

No this was mostly in #elona chat.

Your level is completely independent of your skills and stats, which are what really determines how powerful your character is. As you gain xp and level up, certain parts of the game scale to your level. Others scale off of fame. So if you keep your level low and fame at a moderate level while raising your stats and skills as high as possible, you'll have an easier time of playing the game.

This used to be drat near required if you wanted to play vanilla Elona, since the scaling was so evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

So the advice in the thread telling me to get Travelling is a sabotage :argh:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Corridor posted:

God no. Travelling can make your character level rocket up, true, but it also constantly trains basically all of your skills all the time, and does the same for your pets at a crazy rate. By extension, it also trains your attributes.

Travelling basically turns walking on the worldmap into an activity that exercises every single number on your character sheet.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Corridor posted:

Naw, the scaling has been fixed and travelling mostly effects your stats/skills instead of level. You might get some xp via it, but it shoots your skills up so fast it no longer really matters.

You're not getting how radically different an experience the progression in vanilla Elona is. You'd bust rear end for hours just so you can do the simplest of the hunting quests. It's super loving slow so by the time you get anything to 20 you wanted to kill yourself and were also likely nearly AT level 20, which is hella underpowered for that level. In + I'm level 23 with most stats in the 40s (enchantments counted) and my primary skills edging up to 30 or so, which puts me at a good enough spot that I can reliably annihilate the robber encounters (which never, EVER happens in vanilla) and allows me to deal with challenge levels up to about 20. In vanilla I'd still be struggling with challenge level 10 dungeons and running away from every robber, plus any non-fetch quest with a difficulty over $$.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
No idea then! Because that's all stuff for IVAN - IVAN increases it's difficulty as you increase in strength, only it very intentionally does so at a much higher scale, because IVAN is an un-fun game designed to be unbeatable.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

IVAN is actually an extremely fun game designed to be unbeatable, but it does become very unfun if you don't realize it's supposed to be unbeatable and try to beat it instead of just turning your limbs into crazy poo poo and running around punching dudes with your iron arms until you take a small amount of fire damage and your paper legs instantly burn off.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Corridor posted:

No. The only thing character level will change is the difficulty of random encounters on the world map, which are rarely dangerous no matter what your level and climb very slowly. Assassin encounters are based off quest difficulty, bandit encounters are based off fame, dungeons are based off the dungeon level. Traveling will ensure your skills are high enough to cope with random encounters.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 8, 2013

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

ProfessorCirno posted:

No idea then! Because that's all stuff for IVAN - IVAN increases it's difficulty as you increase in strength, only it very intentionally does so at a much higher scale, because IVAN is an un-fun game designed to be unbeatable.

Vanilla Elona and IVAN have a lot in common in terms of scaling, but yeah IVAN's is still obviously worse. FYI I consider IVAN an extremely fun if frustrating game to play. Making a character with godlike quality material limbs and an invisible knight pet with funmazing items just to be absolutely destroyed by some horrific unique is, or at least was; amusing for me. If you like the game systems but want a game that is actually beatable though, someone went and modded its difficulty curve to be more in line with traditional rougelikes. Same as happened here, really! Gives you a hint that most people hate ridiculous difficulty curves.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Nathilus posted:

Naw, the scaling has been fixed and travelling mostly effects your stats/skills instead of level. You might get some xp via it, but it shoots your skills up so fast it no longer really matters.

You're not getting how radically different an experience the progression in vanilla Elona is. You'd bust rear end for hours just so you can do the simplest of the hunting quests. It's super loving slow so by the time you get anything to 20 you wanted to kill yourself and were also likely nearly AT level 20, which is hella underpowered for that level. In + I'm level 23 with most stats in the 40s (enchantments counted) and my primary skills edging up to 30 or so, which puts me at a good enough spot that I can reliably annihilate the robber encounters (which never, EVER happens in vanilla) and allows me to deal with challenge levels up to about 20. In vanilla I'd still be struggling with challenge level 10 dungeons and running away from every robber, plus any non-fetch quest with a difficulty over $$.

No I've played vanilla Elona. I put many hours into it and never got above, say, level 8. I just didn't know that Travelling raised stats and poo poo. I figured I'd end up at 20 with all my skills around 5% or whatever. Travelling doesn't raise potential either, does it?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Corridor posted:

No I've played vanilla Elona. I put many hours into it and never got above, say, level 8. I just didn't know that Travelling raised stats and poo poo. I figured I'd end up at 20 with all my skills around 5% or whatever. Travelling doesn't raise potential either, does it?

In base Elona, Traveling only gave you basic xp, so it was actually bad. Now it not only gives you xp in every stat and skill but it also trains speed, which is basically so important it knocks the skill straight into absolutely vital territory.

It doesn't raise potential, but it's not hard to keep your potentials up between training, little sisters, sleep events and blessed scrolls of growth.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Corridor posted:

No I've played vanilla Elona.

Oh, my bad then!

Turkeybro
Nov 12, 2011

Looking for strong men to discover what's under the helmet.

Corridor posted:

All you need to know is that training with platinum coins now always raises potential 20% instead of the 1-3% it did in vanilla.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Turkeybro posted:

All you need to know is that training with platinum coins now always raises potential 20% instead of the 1-3% it did in vanilla.

Oh thank god, that was horrible.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Yeah like I said earlier: if your character doesn't have traveling right now, your immediate and only consideration should be figuring out how you're going to get the platinum pieces to buy it. The same applies to pets that you want to keep for the long-term (just buy little girls in Derphy and graft them onto the pet until they give it Traveling).

Regarding levels, I'm not even sure which part of the game scales based on it. I know those goddamned rogues that show up if you have too much cargo have their level based on fame (and it's entirely possible to stack up so much fame that they're brick walls, just as it's possible to have little enough that they're pushovers), but I had no idea that the game had level scaling.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 8, 2013

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Speaking of pets, while Little Girl is the best one to start off with, is it really viable to keep her (or any other early monsters) as pets through the whole game, or do you more or less have to upgrade into something bigger as you play?

I've never even tried the whole genetic modification thing. THere's a lot of stuff in this game I haven't tried, really, which might actually be the point of the game!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

Regarding levels, I'm not even sure which part of the game scales based on it.

As above, experience level very slowly increases the difficulty of entirely random encounters. But that's as near as drat it 'nothing' that it hardly counts.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Speaking of pets, while Little Girl is the best one to start off with, is it really viable to keep her (or any other early monsters) as pets through the whole game, or do you more or less have to upgrade into something bigger as you play?

To be honest, you're better off immediately replacing the little girl with a slave trader one, which will have better stats. At level 10 and 20 you can upgrade to rogue and juere warriors / archers / mages. Some pets can last forever, god pets especially if you get them early, but trading up is often worth it because raising stat potential on a pet is pretty hard unless you're going to start handing them their own stocks of blessed potential.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
For those curious about the story and cutscenes missing from the English version of Elona, here is a summary of things. Warning: lots of words.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Stelas posted:

To be honest, you're better off immediately replacing the little girl with a slave trader one, which will have better stats. At level 10 and 20 you can upgrade to rogue and juere warriors / archers / mages. Some pets can last forever, god pets especially if you get them early, but trading up is often worth it because raising stat potential on a pet is pretty hard unless you're going to start handing them their own stocks of blessed potential.

It's actually not that hard. Fill up a kitty bank with some obscene amount of money, and smash it while the pet is standing on top of it to directly transfer money. While you're in town and the pet has money, it'll train up its stat/skill potential over time ("X has visited a trainer and raised its potential!")

The only time I went through a moongate I smashed the 750M kitty bank while my pet was standing on top of it, and now my pet is pretty much permanently locked at 8xsuperb/400% potentials.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Just for fun I carried around 100+ stacks of all the various cargos which meant a bandit encounter every step on the world map. I can just annihilate them but they are persistent. Kind of annoying actually but w/e. It's good to hear higher fame get's you better quests, so I'm going to try to pump that up as high as I can.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Should I start with Elona+ or should I play Elona first?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
There is no reason to play Elona over Elona+. None whatsoever.

Turkeybro
Nov 12, 2011

Looking for strong men to discover what's under the helmet.

Stelas posted:

If you don't mind using the moongate scumming trick if you let your pet pick up one of the giant gold stacks it will keep training its potential and have suberb ratios on all stats and 400% on all skils for a long while.

Otherwise if you don't already you can help your pets keep growing by handing them ores, which they will sell to get gold to train their potential with trainers in town, if you give them food they will also eat it and they seem to scale off food much better than you do. Every 2-3 meals or so I give to one of my bells one of their stats end up increasing, although i got pretty good cooking so it's pretty high-quality stuff.

I will agree that you should trade up every now and then unless you really like your pet, especially ones that haven't much special to them like little girls. If you don't want to use the slave master pets you can get a rod of domination from the workshop near Noyel for 20 medals, from that you could capture a bell, which are pretty broken when given a machinegun or laser pistol, or if you wait a little bit you can get an asura, which appear in difficulty $x5 hunting quests or dungeons around lv15 that have 4 arms and so can have 2 shields/2 weapons, 4 weapons or dual wield 2 weapons and are also really good.

As for gene engineering even if you don't plan on doing it for a little while you should go to Port Kapul and talk to the scientist to get the quest for it and do it while you are low level, it involves capturing low-level monsters with pokeballs that require the monster to be at VERY low health to work, and when you are overkilling them even with your bare fists it can be a bit frustating.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
Speaking of pets, I've managed to find two rods of domination with a total of four charges on them. What are some good tameable mobs to look out? Thinking of picking up an asura, increasing its speed somehow and just letting it wreck face with four weapons. I'm playing as a gunner/mage so I mostly just need a bunch of meatshields to take most of the incoming damage.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm aware you can give pets ores to help them train up potential, but after using Elosnack to check the results the effects are pretty drat slow - about 3-5% per 'trains' message on stats. It's much better to change up out of standard humanoids, once you've got the ability to gene engineer or the faith to support a couple of god pets.

I continue to maintain the moongate trick is for chumps. :colbert:

Akoogly Eyes posted:

I'm playing as a gunner/mage so I mostly just need a bunch of meatshields to take most of the incoming damage.

Asura work well with solid weapons. Chess pieces or giants/titans/cyclopses are good for meatiness.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Eruonen posted:

Should I start with Elona+ or should I play Elona first?

I tried vanilla Elona first because I heard that Elona+ was only partly translated and out of a general distrust of balance mods.

It was a stupid decision. Go straight to Elona+.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Turkeybro posted:

If you don't mind using the moongate scumming trick if you let your pet pick up one of the giant gold stacks it will keep training its potential and have suberb ratios on all stats and 400% on all skils for a long while.

Otherwise if you don't already you can help your pets keep growing by handing them ores, which they will sell to get gold to train their potential with trainers in town, if you give them food they will also eat it and they seem to scale off food much better than you do. Every 2-3 meals or so I give to one of my bells one of their stats end up increasing, although i got pretty good cooking so it's pretty high-quality stuff.

I will agree that you should trade up every now and then unless you really like your pet, especially ones that haven't much special to them like little girls. If you don't want to use the slave master pets you can get a rod of domination from the workshop near Noyel for 20 medals, from that you could capture a bell, which are pretty broken when given a machinegun or laser pistol, or if you wait a little bit you can get an asura, which appear in difficulty $x5 hunting quests or dungeons around lv15 that have 4 arms and so can have 2 shields/2 weapons, 4 weapons or dual wield 2 weapons and are also really good.

As for gene engineering even if you don't plan on doing it for a little while you should go to Port Kapul and talk to the scientist to get the quest for it and do it while you are low level, it involves capturing low-level monsters with pokeballs that require the monster to be at VERY low health to work, and when you are overkilling them even with your bare fists it can be a bit frustating.

If you're overkilling with fists while trying to get stuff low enough to capture, try using [b] to bash them instead of attacking. Pretty sure it does much less damage.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Devor posted:

If you're overkilling with fists while trying to get stuff low enough to capture, try using [b] to bash them instead of attacking. Pretty sure it does much less damage.

The most effective way I've found to pokeball a monster is to throw a shuriken at it. Shuriken have a 1dX damage die, like all thrown weapons, so it's possible(ish) for them to not kill pretty much any enemy, and when it hits them, it cuts, which is a percent-health bleed DoT, perfect for capturing.

Eventually. You'll probably have to save-scum a bit to get the perfect amount of damage, since the capture threshold is so low (5%!).

Octo1
May 7, 2009
I threw chestnuts at hermit crabs.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Reallycoolname posted:

For those curious about the story and cutscenes missing from the English version of Elona, here is a summary of things. Warning: lots of words.

The fact that this is absent from the game is actually really upsetting. Even a nearly indecipherable Engrish translation would have made this game so much more.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I found my place to get my Bell. Now I just need a monster heart (where do I get this?). Above the Sacred Ground where all the god altars are, I have a lvl 100 King's forest. I'm going to go there and find a Silver Bell. But first I need to tweak my character so that he can actually survive there. I'm finding I need to fill out my "Negates the affect of *" stats. Not just the resistances, though I need those too.

I'm getting Feared/Blinded/Confused/Paralyzed/somehow Dimmed even though I'm a Golem/Poisoned/and sometimes instantly killed by Nether effects. Despite all of those statuses I'm still able to survive for enough turns to kill a monster or two.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm having trouble equipping things. When I press w, there are four options: Body, Hand*, Shoot and Ammo. How do I equip gauntlets, shoes, robes, capes, etc?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Eruonen posted:

I'm having trouble equipping things. When I press w, there are four options: Body, Hand*, Shoot and Ammo. How do I equip gauntlets, shoes, robes, capes, etc?

Whoops, looks like you've mutated/been diseased beyond all recognition! Have fun with that

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

It is also possible you chose some kind of goofy debug race with very few equipment slots.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Verviticus posted:

Whoops, looks like you've mutated/been diseased beyond all recognition! Have fun with that

Cool! How can I check what mutations I have?

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Go to your character sheet and tab over to Feats, and look for ones marked [Mutation] or [Disease].

I think it's more likely your race, though, what did you pick?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eruonen posted:

That's because you picked a Mutant character. Mutants start with those four, and only those four, equipment slots. They gain a random equipment slot every 3 levels, up to level 36 (for a total of 12 extra slots). You will eventually get duplicate slots (e.g. multiple arm slots). Theoretically, it's possible to get 12 Arm slots or 12 Leg slots, etc.

That means you end up with a total of 16 equipment slots (the original 4 plus the extra 12), vs the 13 slots of most other races (Head, Neck, Back, Hand, Hand, Ring, Ring, Arm, Waist, Leg, Shoot and Ammo).

Once you hit level 36 and get all 12 extra slots, you lose 15% of your Speed due to your complicated mutant body.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

That's because you picked a Mutant character. Mutants start with those four, and only those four, equipment slots. They gain a random equipment slot every 3 levels, up to level 36 (for a total of 12 extra slots). You will eventually get duplicate slots (e.g. multiple arm slots). Theoretically, it's possible to get 12 Arm slots or 12 Leg slots, etc.

That means you end up with a total of 16 equipment slots (the original 4 plus the extra 12), vs the 13 slots of most other races (Head, Neck, Back, Hand, Hand, Ring, Ring, Arm, Waist, Leg, Shoot and Ammo).

Once you hit level 36 and get all 12 extra slots, you lose 15% of your Speed due to your complicated mutant body.

Yep, that's it. I didn't realize I would start out like that.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
What the hell does a Mutant look like if he doesn't have a head, a second hand, a waist, and legs? A lumpy potato with a creepy single hand sticking out somewhere?

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I was looking around the JP wiki a little bit and it looks like you can get Dim resistance from eating the corpses of stuff like Big Daddies, Blades, Golems, Bells, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eruonen posted:

Yep, that's it. I didn't realize I would start out like that.

The thing about mutant characters is that even if they lack the slot for it, they can still get the Ether Disease which would normally bar the use of the slot (Hooves for Leg, Thick Neck for Neck, and Wings for Back).

As such, if you are lucky, when you level up you will not gain the equipment slot for Leg or Back, and during Etherwind you will gain the Ether Diseases for Hooves (extra speed, lose the Leg slot which you don't have anyway) and Wings (extra speed, innate flight, lose the Back slot which you don't have anyway), and thereby effectively get an extra 2 equipment slots for a total of 18.