Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Of course, the pinnacle of Star Wars gaming achievement is and always will be Yoda Stories for the Game Boy Colour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I had that for PC and played it way too damned much. Wtf was wrong with me

E: Mind you I had like every other star wars game that was out at that point too

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Conquistador posted:

It took me so long before I was able to figure out how to not suck at that game. Also, when playing as an imp, that stupid noise that the droid made whenever bad poo poo happened was so grating.

Yeah but that Imperial protocol droid made up for it.

"The forces of the Empire are at your command." :smug:

"What do you desire?" :smug:

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Hahah, I seem to recall enjoying his :smug: What the gently caress are you doing? type of remarks.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
I used rebeledit to make all the imperial ships cost one upkeep point. Then I used a Death Star to destroy the entire Corillian system, and Corsucant with the emperor still on it. He some how made it injured to the death star. I then used the only planet that did not defect to he rebels, Byss, to rebuild my empire. I couldn't win the game though. One of the imperial win conditions was to control Corsucant.

I had a lot of time on my hands.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
It took me longer than i care to admit to find out how to select multiple characters in Rebellion to send them all on a mission.

You wouldn't believe how long a game takes when you're sending individual guys to blow up whole regiments.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ceebees posted:

It took me longer than i care to admit to find out how to select multiple characters in Rebellion to send them all on a mission.

You wouldn't believe how long a game takes when you're sending individual guys to blow up whole regiments.

It took my forever to figure out how to assign someone as a decoy. I was mad when I figured it out I just had to click another tab

The randomization of events and successes in that game made no sense, especially with characters. I once had Wedge blockaded on Mon Calimari. I had all the defenses destroyed and was trying to assassinate him. After my third attempt, I managed to injure him. But I continually failed trying to kill him and he kept taking out my decoy Noghri with him. This was way before I read Wraith Squadron, so I couldn't even say "Yub yub" to amuse myself. Luke deciding to fly off whenever the gently caress he wants was frustrating, along with his magical ability to capture the Emperor no matter what you had going on.

And I don't think I've ever managed to successfully complete a full game in multiplayer mode. One of us would always have to leave and good luck ever tracking that guy down again on The Zone

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 8, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Casimir Radon posted:

And oh poo poo they don't use gameports anymore.

Oh, gently caress, you just reminded me that my really bamf old joystick+throttle combo is serial. I completely forgot about that :smith:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Honestly I think the most fun I ever had playing a Star Wars game was Star Wars:Demolition on the PS1. poo poo was goofy and glorious.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I have very fond memories of being 8 and loving the Phantom Menace PC game.

8 year old me was an idiot.

Episode I Racer owned bones, though. :colbert:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Outlanders...they come here, how do they find me, eugggghhh... they come here, mess up my store, eugggghhh...

I never did unlock Sebulba. :(

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Outlanders...they come here, how do they find me, eugggghhh... they come here, mess up my store, eugggghhh...

Could you actually do that? It seemed like a "Bill's Back Yard" sort of thing at the time.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I'm pretty sure you could. I'm trying to remember playing it at my neighbor's house in 5th grade and I'm pretty sure he had it. Pressing L on the controller did the flames.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

You had to come first in all the races or something like that. I remember being happy as gently caress that I'd unlocked him because I could use the flamethrower, but then switched back to using Ben Quadrinaros, because he was faster. Kind of a let down, really.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cptn_dr posted:

I have very fond memories of being 8 and loving the Phantom Menace PC game.

8 year old me was an idiot.

"BETTER STAND BACK, MISTER, 'CAUSE I'M ABOUT TO SLASH... ALL MY PRICES!"

(My favourite games were Jedi Power Battles and Bounty Hunter)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Speaking of old Star Wars games, I have the sounds of the Stormtroopers getting shot and the usual stuff they shouted at you in Shadows Of The Empire for the N64 burnt into my memory to this day.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

cptn_dr posted:

You had to come first in all the races or something like that. I remember being happy as gently caress that I'd unlocked him because I could use the flamethrower, but then switched back to using Ben Quadrinaros, because he was faster. Kind of a let down, really.

Yeah, this is exactly my experience. "Sweet, I unlocked Sebulba! Flamethrowers, yay!...hmm, he's kind of slow and clunky. Back to Ben Quadrinaros!" (Also, I can't read Ben Quadrinaros without hearing it in the Greg Proops announcer voice in my head.)

Such a great game.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Metal Loaf posted:

(My favourite games were Jedi Power Battles and Bounty Hunter)

Shiiiit two games that I played the first couple levels of a million times and loved every minute of it. Never got farther than that because I'm bad at games though. Or maybe they really were just hard games.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
You know, I really (truly) loved that game Masters of Teras Kasi and am always saddened it can't be purchased in the play station store so I can play it on my PS3.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Metal Loaf posted:

I definitely spent way too many hours as a kid just replaying the Tatooine levels in that game and massacring all the npcs.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

If Ratts Tyrell wasn't unlockable, the whole game was worthless.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

cptn_dr posted:

Episode I Racer owned bones, though. :colbert:
The hell is this past tense doing here, son? That game is the only reason I still have my N64.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
On Dark Force Rising now in my audiobook trek through the series. The loving artwork thing is just jarring now.

When I was like 10 I thought it was pimp as gently caress though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

astr0man posted:

I definitely spent way too many hours as a kid just replaying the Tatooine levels in that game and massacring all the npcs.

"GRRR... YER A NO-GOOD KILLER!"

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Even at 8 years old, I enjoyed killing Gungans. But then they all whipped out thermal detonators. Killjoys.

At least, that's how I remember it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would be remiss not to mention the other great line from the Tatooine levels:

"WOULD YA LIKE SOME FRESH DRIED CHOKIE?"

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

astr0man posted:

Metal Loaf posted:

Metal Loaf posted:

I would be remiss not to mention the other great line from the Tatooine levels:

"WOULD YA LIKE SOME FRESH DRIED CHOKIE?"

Any little bastard that told me I smelled like bantha poodoo got a lightsaber to the face.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
MESA WANT NO CRUNCHIN.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Conquistador posted:

On Dark Force Rising now in my audiobook trek through the series. The loving artwork thing is just jarring now.

When I was like 10 I thought it was pimp as gently caress though.

You need the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight books. That art was boss.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 10, 2013

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I've been playing through my favorite Star Wars game, and probably one of my favorite computer games ever, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. It still holds up well, though I'll never understand why after you finally get your lightsaber and a few force powers, they throw you onto a level that's very wide open with a lot of snipers and make all your new toys useless :argh:

It is a great game, though I put in the console command to up the dismemberment value so there's a lot of bad guys that have been quartered :)

I always liked that Katarn showed up in the EU novels, and I remember some anecdote that one author wanted to kill him off but the character was so popular it wasn't allowed.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

PlushCow posted:

I always liked that Katarn showed up in the EU novels, and I remember some anecdote that one author wanted to kill him off but the character was so popular it wasn't allowed.

It was Troy Denning, everyone's favorite bugnest fetishist.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

It was Troy Denning, everyone's favorite bugnest fetishist.
Lucas Licensing meetings with Denning must be loads of fun.

"Can I kill him?!! Can I kill him after he fucks the bugs?!?! Well at the very least he's gonna gently caress the bugs!?!"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Reminder that he also pushed LFL for the trade-sex/impregnation-for-fleet thing with Tenel Ka.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Have to admit, the more I hear about him the more he comes off like, "Gotta have sex and violence, or they won't realise how mature it is!"

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I watched "The People vs. George Lucas" on Netflix today with a friend. In some ways it's 10 times worse than "Trekkies" in terms of fanaticism. There was a whole lot of talking heads from Youtube, including some German-speaking guy in a quarry... They spent like 20 minutes talking about the Christmas Special too.

Can't wait for these Disney sequels :getin:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

PlushCow posted:

I've been playing through my favorite Star Wars game, and probably one of my favorite computer games ever, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast.

I see I'm not the only one who caught that Steam sale.

I was quite happy with that, though; I misplaced my JK2/JKA discs two or three moves ago, I think. I still have fond memories of running the killall command on JKA's sandworm level and spawning stormtrooper armies to duke it out with each other.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I watched "The People vs. George Lucas" on Netflix today with a friend. In some ways it's 10 times worse than "Trekkies" in terms of fanaticism. There was a whole lot of talking heads from Youtube, including some German-speaking guy in a quarry... They spent like 20 minutes talking about the Christmas Special too.

Can't wait for these Disney sequels :getin:

The whole "Lucas was using the prequels to make fun of the fans" angle grows on me every day.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

Apparently something came down from Skywalker ranch saying they weren't allowed to put Gamorreans into the game, so you get guards with horns and kind of beaky faces.

This is actually the "scavenger" that steals a part of Anikin's podracer, but they're the same species and mostly the same model.

Also, The Rebellion manual is about the size of a strategy guide. Someday I'm going to sit down and read it cover to cover. Last time I played I thought I had the galaxy map portion of the game pretty well figured out, then hosed things up bad once I got to a battle.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

Apparently something came down from Skywalker ranch saying they weren't allowed to put Gamorreans into the game, so you get guards with horns and kind of beaky faces.

This is actually the "scavenger" that steals a part of Anikin's podracer, but they're the same species and mostly the same model.

I remember the other weird "side-quests" on the Tatooine levels were fighting Jabba's champion, obtaining juri juice for Teemto (which was really annoying because the bartender would eventually tell you you'd had enough and stopped selling to you, which meant you couldn't complete the mission), and rescuing a kidnapped boy from Captain Neg, who keeps a kind of brown wampa thing or something in his back garden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

I remember the other weird "side-quests" on the Tatooine levels were fighting Jabba's champion, obtaining juri juice for Teemto (which was really annoying because the bartender would eventually tell you you'd had enough and stopped selling to you, which meant you couldn't complete the mission), and rescuing a kidnapped boy from Captain Neg, who keeps a kind of brown wampa thing or something in his back garden.
There might have been a way around that, can't remember. The game has some kind of odd behaviors for the Mos Espa section. For instance when you're initially acquiring parts for the pod racer the parts you need are randomized if I remember correctly, and where the parts are vary slightly. It's also one of those instances where you can't get away with just killing people for their parts, because Anikin will refuse to work with a murderer.

Edit: MEAN PEOPLE DIE PRETTY QUICK DOWN HERE!!

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 11, 2013