Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Demon_Corsair posted:

That looks like you need to sign up for more then one service to get it, and all I want is internet. Guess I will just have to cross my fingers and hope that my new area isn't as saturated. :(

God I miss SaskTel.

If you know where you're going to be moving to, I can check the area saturation with Shaw if you PM me the new address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Demon_Corsair posted:

That looks like you need to sign up for more then one service to get it, and all I want is internet. Guess I will just have to cross my fingers and hope that my new area isn't as saturated. :(

God I miss SaskTel.

Teksavvy DSL might be an option too.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Buying the modem and paying all the extra fees (What the gently caress is dry loop?) has always turned me off teksavvy. The only real advantage I see to them is unlimited downloads during off hours. And since I will be living alone, hitting caps (if they start enforcing them) isn't a huge concern.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Dry loop is something everyone on every ISP who uses DSL needs if they don't have a paid and activated landline. Buy the modem, it's cheaper than modem rental fees.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

Dry loop is something everyone on every ISP who uses DSL needs if they don't have a paid and activated landline. Buy the modem, it's cheaper than modem rental fees.

I don't think shaw has modem rental fees? Unless they are just wrapped up in the packages.

Plus, I'm not sure spending close to $200 upfront to save maybe $15 a month is worth it.

Edit: Probably more then $200 since there is a $40 dry loop activation. And then a 7-20$ a month charge for the dry loop. Yea, shaw is definitely the better option. Which is a shame since everyone seems to love teksavvy.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 16, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Shaw isn't even DSL service is it? You're comparing apples and oranges, you don't pay dry loop for TSI cable either.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Teksavvy/start et al have high startup costs to buy a modem ($100) and a decent router ($50-100), sure, but it's nice to have decent reliable service (with start anyways) and a router/modem that can run for weeks without having to be restarted.

Also, as fun as it is to swap back and forth on promotional offers from Bell/Rogers/Telus/Shaw, dealing with their customer service causes many dollars worth of mental anguish. It's not worth it.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

DarkJC posted:

Shaw isn't even DSL service is it? You're comparing apples and oranges, you don't pay dry loop for TSI cable either.

No, shaw is cable. And I'm just comparing my options. Teksavvy cable isn't available in my area. So that's why I'm comparing shaw cable to to Teksavvy dsl.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
If you're going to be at a specific location for more than say 10 months, buying your own stuff should normally end up coming out a head. Downside is that you have to cover your own equipment.

My 90 dollar modem for teksavvy cable, were I to rent it in the states, would likely cost 10~+ dollars a month.

Modem rentals are a big scam, at least now. Way back when my modem rental was like 2 dollars or buy a 50-100 dollar modem. The 2/mo choice was the right now. Now with modem's costing 10%~ to rent per month, unless you're moving or hopping providers, consider your own if you can.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Usually the big 3 will offer free modem rental for x months when you sign up. It's just that the retentions offers are bound to be garbage once you 6- or 12-month bargain runs out, so you have to switch if you want to keep a reasonable monthly rate.

And of course if you actually live at the same address for years at a time you're not going to keep getting promotional deals.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!
If you can get shaw cable Internet in the 50/50 or 100/100 range they are by far the best ISP you can get. Unless you like in downtown cores with fire to the home Internet.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sprawl posted:

... fire to the home Internet.

That sounds dangerous.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Sprawl posted:

If you can get shaw cable Internet in the 50/50 or 100/100 range they are by far the best ISP you can get. Unless you like in downtown cores with fire to the home Internet.

The highest our upload goes is (I think) 25Mbps in areas where every single analog channel has been switched to digital, and even then that's with the 250Mbps plan. In those same areas, the 100Mbps plan has 10Mbps upload. In a perfect world we could free up even more bandwidth and increase those speeds further/reduce saturation by getting rid of all the duplicate standard definition channels and switch every station to MPEG4, but that won't happen any time soon for a whole host of reasons.

We do have some areas with gigabit FTTP service, but it's a specific team that handles that out of Calgary, I think. Right now fiber seems to get rolled out in new neighbourhoods or buildings that have no previous infrastructure and are close to a headend, so there's no reason not to set it up with fiber if we're getting the construction permits and such anyways. I have no idea how much the 1Gbps service actually costs, since I think it's still under trial and I think it's offered for free for the people who buy these new homes while we're testing it, but I could be completely wrong on that. Unless something drastic happens like Google Fiber launching in Canada, I'd imagine the final price being pretty excessive, unfortunately. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

kes
Jan 4, 2006

Demon_Corsair posted:

God I miss SaskTel.

It looks that way but that is not the case. I have the promo right now with no bundle.

kes fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 16, 2013

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

8ender posted:

I am also pleased with my Start Communication cable internet:

Speedboost had a hand in those results but the boost lasts almost the entire test now. When its boosting it does upwards of 150mbit/s then drops to exactly 45mbit. Couldn't be happier.

What is Speedboost exactly?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Cartesian_Duelist posted:

What is Speedboost exactly?

For the first few seconds of a download, you'll get an increased speed vs what your line is normally rated for. How many seconds depends on the implementation I believe.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
The idea is that it'll get streams to start quicker so you're not buffering for long periods of time. Kind of weird, but I don't think it's a good thing that it can interfere with your speed tests.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Coxswain Balls posted:

The highest our upload goes is (I think) 25Mbps in areas where every single analog channel has been switched to digital, and even then that's with the 250Mbps plan. In those same areas, the 100Mbps plan has 10Mbps upload. In a perfect world we could free up even more bandwidth and increase those speeds further/reduce saturation by getting rid of all the duplicate standard definition channels and switch every station to MPEG4, but that won't happen any time soon for a whole host of reasons.

We do have some areas with gigabit FTTP service, but it's a specific team that handles that out of Calgary, I think. Right now fiber seems to get rolled out in new neighbourhoods or buildings that have no previous infrastructure and are close to a headend, so there's no reason not to set it up with fiber if we're getting the construction permits and such anyways. I have no idea how much the 1Gbps service actually costs, since I think it's still under trial and I think it's offered for free for the people who buy these new homes while we're testing it, but I could be completely wrong on that. Unless something drastic happens like Google Fiber launching in Canada, I'd imagine the final price being pretty excessive, unfortunately. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

I guess I must have been thinking of the microwave company or something else.

Sprawl fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 16, 2013

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Sprawl posted:

The 50/50 or 100/100 are small/medium business plans not residential ones we have 50/50 at our work .

Ah, gotcha. I assumed you were just talking about residential services.

Edit: I think Shaw Business Solutions might be what you're thinking of, but they're their own arm of the company. They offer symmetrical services like you're describing, but I don't think they deal with residential or even small business accounts.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 16, 2013

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shaw is loving up big time here in Winnipeg! All afternoon today it's been super slow or non-responsive. Used to be one of the best companies and this past while it's all loving poo poo. Not even their main site will load up so I can login. What a goddamn joke of a ISP.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

Shaw is loving up big time here in Winnipeg! All afternoon today it's been super slow or non-responsive. Used to be one of the best companies and this past while it's all loving poo poo. Not even their main site will load up so I can login. What a goddamn joke of a ISP.

Issue is DNS related, as far as I can tell. Switching to alternate DNS servers will get things working, but we're aware of the issue and working on it. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Vintersorg posted:

1 day of downtime is loving up big? Sometimes poo poo happens, sometimes it takes time to fix.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Rawrbomb posted:

1 day of downtime is loving up big? Sometimes poo poo happens, sometimes it takes time to fix.

To be fair, Winnipeg has been on the top of our saturated cities list, and it's only in the past few months that we've started making headway in correcting that. If Vintersong is in one of the saturated areas, he's got every right to be frustrated.

As soon as I noticed some sites weren't loading I called in to let them know what was going on, and during the span of the call the TSR queues went from nothing to a hundred, so hopefully it's resolved ASAP. Switching to Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) will get you up and running for the time being.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 17, 2013

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Coxswain Balls posted:

To be fair, Winnipeg has been on the top of our saturated cities list, and it's only in the past few months that we've started making headway in correcting that. If Vintersong is in one of the saturated areas, he's got every right to be frustrated.

As soon as I noticed some sites weren't loading I called in to let them know what was going on, and during the span of the call the TSR queues went from nothing to a hundred, so hopefully it's resolved ASAP. Switching to Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) will get you up and running for the time being.

I wouldn't call a single day's downtime loving up big, and this is coming from someone who used to live in a highly oversaturated node (though not in Canada). Took my isp months to send out line techs to repair their problems, and I still could barely use the internet between 3pm and 8pm due to people getting home from school/work. Right around 3pm internet would crap out, then like clockwork be bad for the rest of the night. Come 8:30 or so, internet went back to rocket speed.

I think its a bit unreasonable to jump to full "big time fuckup" on a days downtime. I mean, if some jackass hit a poll and took out wires, its going to take time to repair them. Nothing they can do to really fix that faster (as an example).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

titaniumone posted:

Any combined router platforms have always been and will always be dogshit. Use a single port modem-only solution, and whatever you want as your router.

If it were possible to do so, I would. You think I'm using this shitheap of a modem because I have a choice? It's either this or back to 1Mbps upstream on cable.

infernal machines posted:

You're welcome.

That was a weeks worth of mucking through the firmware source and every foreign language forum that dealt with similar modems to figure out. Luckly I've been home with a wicked cold and nothing much else to do.

Thank you so much.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
No problem. I just got the 50/10 VDSL service from Teksavvy a couple weeks ago, the Sagemcom was driving me up the wall with the sync-no-surf thing.

A few people on DSLr are still looking into alternative modems. There are some that will work on the Stinger DSLAMs (anything with an Ikanos chipset) but without the Bell modded firmware they're stuck with only about 60% of the normal upload rate. Of course if you're on a 7330 DSLAM you can use pretty much any VDSL2 modem you can find (there aren't many so far).

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Dear God, what a clusterfuck that all sounds like. I was hoping I could get into using Bell's 50/50 later in August after I move, but if there's a lovely modem and fiery hoops involved, I'm not so sure.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Any 50/50 service is probably FTTH so you only have the one lovely modem to worry about. And the Sagemcom can be put into bridge mode for FTTH too.

I think if you have fibre service you can actually just hook up your router directly to the FTTH CPE box, as long as you have a router that supports VLAN tagging on the WAN port (any DD-WRT/Open-WRT/Tomato capable router).

Of course if you want to use Bell's Fibe TV service too you can't do any of this.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I was looking forward to getting 25/10 when I moved to my new place. With all the messing about with the DSLAM and modems and all, I'm not sure if I want to now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Well, there's not really a lot of messing around you have to do. Right now Bell mandates that all customers rent one of their VDSL modems, they only offer the Sagemcom 2864. There are some intermittent issues with the Sagemcom modem but if you just hook it up and don't touch anything else it'll generally work.

Things only start getting complicated if you want to use your own modem/router.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Teksavvy's website insists on using the same postal code for billing, shipping, and service addresses even if I say they're different addresses. Has anyone been able to get around this? I'd rather not have to sit through wait times and have to spell out two addresses and my billing info over the phone, if possible.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Armor-Piercing posted:

Teksavvy's website insists on using the same postal code for billing, shipping, and service addresses even if I say they're different addresses. Has anyone been able to get around this? I'd rather not have to sit through wait times and have to spell out two addresses and my billing info over the phone, if possible.

Go to the DSLReports.com forums and post a ticket in the TekSavvy Direct forum; it's their official support forum.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Today Bell-Alliant was gracious enough to let me upgrade from 1.5 to 7 Mpbs DSL. Thanks Bell! :toot:

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
Shaw Cable in Winnipeg continues to be a piece of poo poo. Paying for 100 down / 5 up, lucky to get 5 down most evenings. Their twitter help said to let them know every time it is a problem. Been doing that but it seems pointless.

You know the company is in trouble when cellular providers have higher consistent speeds.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Veinless posted:

Shaw Cable in Winnipeg continues to be a piece of poo poo. Paying for 100 down / 5 up, lucky to get 5 down most evenings. Their twitter help said to let them know every time it is a problem. Been doing that but it seems pointless.

You know the company is in trouble when cellular providers have higher consistent speeds.

At any time when using your connection do you hit 100Mbps? If not, and if you're not on a grandfathered plan or a promotion, you can downgrade to Broadband 50 to lower the rate, but still take advantage of the DOCSIS 3 multiple channel bonding to mitigate the saturation. If you don't mind me asking, would it be okay if you PMed me your account info so I could take a look at it? Sometimes our frontline staff see the saturation alert and blame the issue on that when it turns out the issue is due to something we can fix if they get in touch with their higher-ups to do some further investigating. I've fixed slow speed issues for a few folks in Winnipeg by simply digging a bit deeper.

The higher ups here have been taking the saturation in Winnipeg pretty seriously; the analog reclamation typically cuts down saturation a huge amount, which should eliminate it in the short term. Node splits have to be planned about a year out, which is why we track usage and plan them to be done before it becomes an issue. Ironically enough, the problem is due to our company doing really well in Winnipeg due to MTS' infrastructure being old as balls, so we've had tons more people switching over to us since launching the Broadband packages than I think we were expecting. The most recent number is something like 7% of monitored nodes/modems being saturated, and considering our average in all the other cities across the country is 0%-1%, it seems like we were pretty blindsided by the huge influx of broadband subscribers in the past year or two.

Disclaimer saying I'm a Shaw employee, and that any views or opinions expressed here are my own, yadda yadda.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So I'm in a house with roommates, none f whom are particularly technologically capable beyond using their own stuff. We have MTS 20 (her de har, but gently caress if I'm going to sit under limits, I pull 1-2 TB a month with this 20mbps, and I'm not asking everyone else to pay up for 200 bucks for something that should be standard in 20 loving 13), and unfortunately, a lovely 2wire modem-router. Now sure, under any other circumstance, I'd grab a speedstream, burn that 2wire-pos with a propane torch in protest and set my little Asus RTN16 behind the SS in bridge. Unfortunately they also get tv from MTS. I don't believe phone service though. Only really wondering here if I shove the thing into bridge forcefully, it isn't going to cop out on our cable right?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

StealthArcher posted:

So I'm in a house with roommates, none f whom are particularly technologically capable beyond using their own stuff. We have MTS 20 (her de har, but gently caress if I'm going to sit under limits, I pull 1-2 TB a month with this 20mbps, and I'm not asking everyone else to pay up for 200 bucks for something that should be standard in 20 loving 13), and unfortunately, a lovely 2wire modem-router. Now sure, under any other circumstance, I'd grab a speedstream, burn that 2wire-pos with a propane torch in protest and set my little Asus RTN16 behind the SS in bridge. Unfortunately they also get tv from MTS. I don't believe phone service though. Only really wondering here if I shove the thing into bridge forcefully, it isn't going to cop out on our cable right?

Shouldn't. Worst case scenario is that you just put it back to default.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
I'm on Teksavvy in Montreal, with a 25/10 DSL. I've got one of those Sagemcom 2864 modems, and up until recently it was working fine.

However, in the last couple weeks it will just randomly crash. I assume that's what's happening. It won't be able to open any new connections, although existing ones (like a Skype voice connection) will stick around.

Rebooting causes it to work again, for a while. It seems putting it under some load, like with bittorrent, is what causes it to die.

Is there any firmware fuckery I can do to this thing to make it not suck quite so much?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Backov posted:

Is there any firmware fuckery I can do to this thing to make it not suck quite so much?

You could try putting the modem into bridge mode using the instructions here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28203965-DSL-Sagemcom-F-ST-2864-bridge-mode-guide You'll need to have a router to handle the connection once you do that though.

Running the modem in bridge mode often resolves the sync-no-surf issue you're describing. It's not perfect though and some people report that they still run into the problem, albeit less frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Backov posted:

I'm on Teksavvy in Montreal, with a 25/10 DSL. I've got one of those Sagemcom 2864 modems, and up until recently it was working fine.

However, in the last couple weeks it will just randomly crash. I assume that's what's happening. It won't be able to open any new connections, although existing ones (like a Skype voice connection) will stick around.

Rebooting causes it to work again, for a while. It seems putting it under some load, like with bittorrent, is what causes it to die.

Out of curiosity when your connection drops, head to the modems web interface and see if a) Is your DSL link up b) do you have a WAN IP c) what are the status lights on your modem.

Sounds close to the issue I had. Pretty sure it's Bell loving something up on their end where you'll just start getting rolling disconnects.