Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Blue Screen Error posted:

I think the win should have been more comfortable, keeper should have done better for Braga's second and maybe the first. Odd to think Braga are competing for a Champions League spot as they didn't look very good imo, they do have a cool stadium with that cliff face though.

Braga are running for a CL spot, mainly on the incompetence of others. As in, Sporting has been nothing but garbage, and someone had to fill that third spot. Braga just happened to be the best prepared club to take the step forward, though the club doesn't have even a third of the resources Benfica and Porto pool up, even Sporting whose biggest sin is being mis-managed from the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Another 3-2 win for Sporting, another last minute winner. Fun times. Good performance from Van Wolfswinkel again, goal and an assist, can't wait to see him lining up in yellow.

How hosed are Sporting financially? Will they be losing more players in the summer?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

They are still in pretty bad shape. Though with the recent change of President, and a good run of results to secure a spot in Europe, might hide the financial troubles for awhile. They will be selling this year, after Wolfswinkel, I think Capel and Jeffren are next to leave, and there's a lot of loving deadwood in the club. Next season will most likely be built around their young academy players, with the goal to secure with ease a spot for Europe, maybe with a half decent manager even push for third.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Porto need a win tonight against Braga if they want to keep up with Benfica, usually Braga don't pose much of a threat to Porto.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I thought Braga was a decent squad this year despite their standing, am I wrong?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Braga is coached by Jose Peseiro. Better known as the guy that in 2005 when he was at Sporting, lost in the space of a week, the league, the portuguese cup, and a UEFA Cup final. Better yet, that final was played in Sporting's own home. That was the best week ever. :laugh:

Really, Braga is average, had a couple of years of luck, and now has a bad coach.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Nice job falling apart in the last 10 minutes Braga...

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Drogadon posted:

Nice job falling apart in the last 10 minutes Braga...

If you liked that, this Saturday you can watch it all over again, now with even higher stakes! As Braga and Porto meet up for the final of that exciting competition, the Tin CupLeague Cup! (dontbotherPortowillwinit)

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Braga won the League Cup by beating Porto 1-0, their first trophy in 50 years hooray.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SksS0kLgNkE

:getin: wining the title with class :getin:

Best loving goal i've ever seen.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Mans posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SksS0kLgNkE

:getin: wining the title with class :getin:

Best loving goal i've ever seen.

It was loving awesome. I'm so excited for the Europa league semis.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
Individual skill, first time assist and a volley. That's a trifecta for a beautiful goal.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

That's incredible! You should crosspost it to the goals thread so everyone else can see it. Lima owns and Gaitan's skill was awesome,

Seduced Milkman
Aug 26, 2007

Oui Milou, c'est quelque chose d'horrible.
You should've posted this exact same video though. Antena 1 has the best commentary in the world and the guy just goes completely bonkers here.

"My friends, this isn't ballet, it's football, but to my mind that is a perfect ten!" :dance:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
My dad spent last season going "Porto should hire Lima" every week.

He's spent *THIS* season, however, saying "Porto should've hired Lima. See? We're gonna lose the championship because we don't have Lima"

And I'm afraid he's right. Pinto da Costa dropped the ball :negative:

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Don't think Lima would have made a difference, Jackson has done fantastic as the striker, can't really ask for more from him. It's the midfield that has no drive when Moutinho isn't available and James Rodriguez hasn't carried the team the way people expected when Hulk left. Porto fans are incredibly spoiled, the team has been great in the league (26 matches, 20 wins, 6 draws, 0 losses, come the gently caress on) and would be champions any other year, except this season Benfica have somehow been even better. Still anyone's title IMO.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

So it's time now for Benfica to gently caress up and gift the league to Porto? :ohdear:

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Drogadon posted:

So it's time now for Benfica to gently caress up and gift the league to Porto? :ohdear:

And we play Porto, in their home, Saturday.

I can feel it, Jesus is going to pull a Peseiro, and lose every competition in the space of a week.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Drogadon posted:

As soon as you said that I watched Martins get his second yellow. gently caress. That last 20 mins was pretty exciting. I am still very hopeful about the league title and maybe somewhat overly hopeful about beating Chelsea. In happier Benfica news, Benfica has signed Filip Đuričić from the eredivisie. He is a promising young (21) center attacking mid. I don't know if it was simply a smart move, but having Matic on the team might help him integrate quicker.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Drogadon posted:

I love that most of the Benfica fans I know always say this when things start to look good for the team, and most of the time, they do blow it.
:sigh:

If I got this right:

If Benfica wins at Porto:
Benfica clinches the league title.

If Benfica and Porto tie:
- If Benfica wins vs. Moreirense and/or Porto ties or loses at Paços Ferreira, then Benfica wins the league title.
- If Benfica ties vs. Moreirense and Porto wins at Paços Ferreira, then it goes to tiebreakers, whatever they are.
- If Benfica loses vs. Moreirense and Porto wins at Paços Ferreira, then Porto wins the league title.

If Porto wins against Benfica:
- If Benfica wins vs. Moreirense and Porto ties or loses at Paços Ferreira, then Benfica wins the league title.
- If Benfica ties vs. Moreirense and Porto loses at Paços Ferreira, then it goes to tiebreakers.
Any other combination of results, Porto wins the league title.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Benfica is going to be a disaster for what's left of their games, it wouldn't be Benfica it they behaved with competence at such a dire time.

Here's a sick goal that Rio Ave scored against Braga

poo poo marking kind of spoils the overall goal though.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
That's some Ibrahimovic level poo poo right there. What a goal.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Yechezkel posted:

If Benfica and Porto tie:
- If Benfica wins vs. Moreirense and/or Porto ties or loses at Paços Ferreira, then Benfica wins the league title.
- If Benfica ties vs. Moreirense and Porto wins at Paços Ferreira, then it goes to tiebreakers, whatever they are.
- If Benfica loses vs. Moreirense and Porto wins at Paços Ferreira, then Porto wins the league title.

If Porto wins against Benfica:
- If Benfica wins vs. Moreirense and Porto ties or loses at Paços Ferreira, then Benfica wins the league title.
- If Benfica ties vs. Moreirense and Porto loses at Paços Ferreira, then it goes to tiebreakers.
Any other combination of results, Porto wins the league title.

Paços is very very strong this year, so, if we manage to win Saturday (as expected, since we're playing at home), it's still not our title. Honestly I think this year Benfica deserves it more than us, but hey, if they really want to gift another title to a team led by Vitor Pereira... :v:

e: I think that's Moreirense in the gif, not Rio Ave.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

poo poo marking or not, that goal is fantastic.

Sunday it's basically a final I would think.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Mans posted:

Benfica is going to be a disaster for what's left of their games, it wouldn't be Benfica it they behaved with competence at such a dire time.

Here's a sick goal that Rio Ave scored against Braga

poo poo marking kind of spoils the overall goal though.

I like how he controls the flow of time, very impressive.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's Moreirense. The striker is Ghilas by the way, he's been having a good season with 13 goals scored, 50% of the team's overall goals scored. He could be a good striker for a upper-mid table team, like Sporting :v:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I thought this was tomorrow, glad I got home in time to watch it.

:ohdear:

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Most important match of the season on right now, Porto - Benfica.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I'm glad you guys posted itt, whoscored.com had this game listed for tomorrow.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's time :getin:
By the way, Record did it again:

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

^^The best covers.

In other league news, Paços de Ferreira qualified for the Champions League, and Sporting failed to qualify for Europa League, good job Estoril.

Anyway, don't gently caress this up Benfica. :pray:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LIMA!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Lima owns owns owns!

Is he gonna stay or are there teams interested in him?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Maybe try defending instead of standing around looking for an offside call there Porto.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Salvio is amazing at long throw ins. Best young player in the league for sure. Always improving.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Drogadon posted:

Lima owns owns owns!

Hopefully staying.

Garay is the guy that is leaving. Matic and Gaitan also have their followers.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

poo poo

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drogadon posted:

Lima owns owns owns!

I haven't heard much news about it but i'm sure Benfica is looking for an alternative because if he keeps this up he won't stay for much longer.

That was a bad goal to suffer :(

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ugh, this feels like it will end in a tie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Yechezkel posted:

Ugh, this feels like it will end in a tie.

Looks like that's the case, Benfica hanging back as they're happy with the result as it stands.

• Locked thread