Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

So it looks like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate did well enough on the Wii-U and 3DS to warrant brining MH4 to America.

I think you misread that:

quote:

As for product strategies for the current fiscal year ending in March 31, 2014, the Company will take an aggressive stance focusing to promote large-scale titles with "Monster Hunter 4" (for Nintendo 3DS) and "Lost Planet 3" (for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360) focused on the domestic and overseas markets respectively (snip)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think you misread that:

How did he? Domestic and overseas means international no?

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
I'm reading it as Monster Hunter - domestic (Japan), Lost Planet 3 - overseas.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

Respectively makes it mean something entirely different. They're going to focus on MH4 for the domestic market, and Lost Planet 3 for the overseas market.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Bobnumerotres posted:

The "respectively" makes it sound like they're focusing on MH4 domestically, and LP3 overseas, not that they're focusing on both markets for both games.

e: Beaten like the Wii U.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lizard Wizard posted:

Respectively makes it mean something entirely different. They're going to focus on MH4 for the domestic market, and Lost Planet 3 for the overseas market.

But that's just for advertising, it still sounds like they plan on releasing MH4 in America. When they said that the PSP game wasn't coming over they stated it as such.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

But that's just for advertising, it still sounds like they plan on releasing MH4 in America.

And what gives you that impression?

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Also I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure NSMB Wii outsold both Mario Galaxies combined, so there's not much of a financial incentive for Nintendo to make more inventive Mario games.

e: 27.6 million sold for NSMB Wii, 10.6m for Mario Galaxy, 6.3m for Mario Galaxy 2

I'm well aware, which makes me very, very sad.

I don't have anything against the console NSMBs, even, they're good games. It's just sad that they're the only kinds of Mario games they're really putting out lately, and NSMB2 was one of the most soulless video games I've ever played. It's just, seeing such a sterile approach to an unique and colorful franchise like Mario hurts the art nerd inside me very deeply.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Gendo posted:

If you haven't played Lego City Undercover you should. It's good dumb fun.

I'm trying to hit 100% and I don't know why. Probably as a momentary escape from my existential crises.

I'm really close to buying this game. Someone please post a video or one more reason to buy the game.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lizard Wizard posted:

And what gives you that impression?

Because when Portable 3rd wasn't coming to America they explicitly said so right off the bat. It was NOPE, YOU GUYS DIDNT BUY ENOUGH FREEDOM UNITE TOO BAD!

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

nerdbot posted:

Man I just do not get where some of you are coming from. :shrug: If there's anything I've learned, it's that Nintendo will get by no matter what kind of bizarre decisions they make.

This argument tends to crop up, often with references to the Gamecube, but Nintendo is like any other business and isn't guaranteed to survive just because they have before.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
So it turns out Denis Dyack and co. left Silicon Knights, started this new company Precursor Games, and "bought" the assets for ED2 from SK, a company with no employees anymore.

So SK now has a multi-million dollar debt from the Epic counter-suit that won't ever be paid because it exists in name only now. Nothing shady going on here at all!

Thankfully they're not even at 10% of the funding they need, and Kickstarter(esque) campaigns are usually insanely frontloaded, so maybe people aren't being blinded by nostalgia and throwing money at this farce.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Sega eventually stopped producing hardware, it's not out of the realm of possibility for that to happen to Nintendo.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Even $119K is disappointing but I'm not really surprised.

They did make a cool trailer though. If you ignore how much their version of Hell or whatever looks like Hell from the Ghostbusters game.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Crowbear posted:

So it turns out Denis Dyack and co. left Silicon Knights, started this new company Precursor Games, and "bought" the assets for ED2 from SK, a company with no employees anymore.

So SK now has a multi-million dollar debt from the Epic counter-suit that won't ever be paid because it exists in name only now. Nothing shady going on here at all!

Thankfully they're not even at 10% of the funding they need, and Kickstarter(esque) campaigns are usually insanely frontloaded, so maybe people aren't being blinded by nostalgia and throwing money at this farce.

I think you've got the wrong thread.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Samara posted:

Sega eventually stopped producing hardware, it's not out of the realm of possibility for that to happen to Nintendo.

Sega stopped producing hardware in America but they still produce arcade hardware overseas. The Dreamcast and Saturn both lived out the average lifespan of a console in Japan and were not considered failures.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Samara posted:

Before you get too far with it, the topic of Nintendo becoming a third-party developer leads to anger and has been declared off-limits for this thread.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

Samara posted:

Sega made a series of costly mistakes leading up to the Dreamcast. Nintendo has the fortune of releasing the Wii U after raking in billions from the DS and Wii. Unless the leadership at Nintendo changes dramatically, we won't see Nintendo developing games for competing platforms for at least a couple of decades.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 8, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Even $119K is disappointing but I'm not really surprised.

They did make a cool trailer though. If you ignore how much their version of Hell or whatever looks like Hell from the Ghostbusters game.

The trailer was nifty, but the majority of that stuff was made by a bunch of Silicon Knights staff (including some they pulled from other projects that couldn't afford it) back in the day and just ported to CryEngine because Dyack isn't allowed to use UE3 anymore.

There's no way these guys can make a full game of comparable quality with the tiny staff they currently have, and even if they hit the goal $1.5 million for 2 years of development isn't even remotely enough to hire as much staff as they'd need.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think you've got the wrong thread.

It's (theoretically) a Wii U game. And my disgust for Denis Dyack cannot be contained to one thread.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

The Operative posted:

Sega made a series of costly mistakes leading up to the Dreamcast. Nintendo has the fortune of releasing the Wii U after raking in billions from the DS and Wii. Unless the leadership at Nintendo changes dramatically, we won't see Nintendo developing games for competing platforms for at least a couple of hardware generations.

It's also very possible that all of Nintendo's veteran designers would just retire if they couldn't make games the way they wanted to.

And Nintendo would probably just stick to the handhelds that are still very successful and will be for a long time.

And if 20 years from now Nintendo has to make stuff on phones or on a Sanyo television deal, they still won't be making $200M Super Smash Bros. Frostbite 12. It will be all about selling simple Mario games to a casual market. It's a stupid pipe dream and why we tell people to shut up about it.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Toady posted:

This argument tends to crop up, often with references to the Gamecube, but Nintendo is like any other business and isn't guaranteed to survive just because they have before.

Sure, but I really feel like people are exaggerating things. I see comparisons to the Dreamcast a lot, but that was after Sega failed to release a single new installment for Sonic, their biggest cash cow franchise, for an entire generation, and then taking it in an incredibly weird realistic direction on the Dreamcast. Looking back I couldn't have called that Sega would've gone under before it happened, but I don't think Nintendo has done anything that stupid yet.

Saying the Wii U might fail is one thing, but to say Nintendo is going to keel over completely is just sensationalism. They're not going anywhere unless Pokemon takes a huge, unprecedented drop in popularity.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 8, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Samara posted:

I can't imagine Nintendo stopping their handhelds, since they've carried the company through difficult times, such as the Gamecube, and now the Wii U.

I would like to see them make some proper HD games from Nintendo, since they haven't really made anything that pushed the graphical barrier past the Gamecube launch title, Luigi's Mansion. Everything from 2001 to 2012 has been at the same resolution and level of detail, and while they are able to make some fantastic looking games like Super Mario Galaxy and Kirby: Return to Dreamland, they look so much better in Dolphin at 720p and above.

Pikmin is a great candidate for an HD entry, since it's a combination of cartoony characters and photo-realistic natural environments.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!
Nintendo currently sits on $10.5 billion. Their next game console could perform as poorly as the Wii U and they would still stay afloat.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 9, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Operative posted:

Nintendo currently sits on $10.5 billion. Their next game console could perform as poorly as the Wii U and they would still stay afloat.

Yeah but after a console fails they usually elect a new CEO and ditch the other higher ups.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

WendigoJohnson posted:

Yeah but after a console fails they usually elect a new CEO and ditch the other higher ups.

Yeah but they don't just hire some random old farts. They promote people that have been in the company for ages and know all about Nintendo design and quality standards. Even the second parties have nothing but vets at the top.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

nerdbot posted:

I'm well aware, which makes me very, very sad.

I don't have anything against the console NSMBs, even, they're good games. It's just sad that they're the only kinds of Mario games they're really putting out lately, and NSMB2 was one of the most soulless video games I've ever played. It's just, seeing such a sterile approach to an unique and colorful franchise like Mario hurts the art nerd inside me very deeply.

You can at least take comfort in the fact that Mario 3D Land has currently outsold NSMB 2 by ~2 million copies.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Lets take a trip down first party lane:

Sega had some stuff that was popular and then did the master system. It wasn't huge in America but did extremely well in Europe, brazil and Japan because it wasn't as regions off as the nes. In Europe for example, there were actually two regions for the Nintendo which would cause confusion as some games would work on a Nintendo but others were for the Mattel Nintendo. Then the genesis which flourished. Them the Saturn which failed everywhere outside Japan. Then the dreamcast that started well but died due to terrible third party support and not enough genres in games. It did fantastic in Japan, having releases well into the 2000s but nowhere else. In that time they tried a handheld with game gear but it fizzled due to technology limitations among other things.

Nintendo on the other hand had a string of successful consoles and handhelds, virtual boy and maybe GameCube being the only real black sheep that didn't meet expectations. They got so much money from their ds line and Wii that they could have a decade of lovely numbers and still be sustainable.

For the last 5 years or so before sega went software-only in the console market their only profitable venture was arcades which are dying. They also can't figure out how to operate as a third party and have woes developing software that hits as it did in the 80s and 90s. To compare the business models is like comparing hp to apple. Any sort of comparison of the companies past omg sega does what nintendoesnt is stupid.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gutcruncher posted:

More complaining about the bad advertising: I tell a friend of mine that next time we both get a chance, we should play my Wii U. He asks me "does it work on the regular Wii?"

This is someone who isnt exactly a hardcore gamer nerd or something, but he does play and own games. Why should anyone with any interest in Nintendo games not be informed of what the Wii U is? Honestly, the only reason I know is because Im a freekin dork that looks deep into this stuff.
True story: A friend of a friend on Facebook reacted to some article about the Wii U by going on about how he didn't care about mobile games. When my friend and I asked him what the gently caress, he explained: He thought the Wii U was Nintendo's foray into mobile gaming. All the adds showed a Wii with someone holding an iPhone next to it, so it was an entirely logical guess.

This is Marketing 101, and Nintendo has utterly failed at it: Tell people what you're selling and why they want to buy it.

The hardcore crowd sees Nintendo coming out of the gate crowing about how the Wii U will run Assassin's Creed III and Mass Effect III and thinks "yeah, but I have two consoles that do that now and they're going to be obsolete in a year, this thing is underpowered and does nothing I can't already do", and the casual crowd sees that apparently Nintendo glued some buttons onto an iPhone and they want you to play them on the iPhone, I guess this is supposed to be a mobile platform?

Full disclosure, I don't own a Wii U either, but it's because I haven't seen a single reason to buy one. They're not selling the loving thing at all! The utter lack of games is a problem too, but it's a distant second place.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Gamecube really shouldn't be lumped in with the Virtual Boy. They failed (if you can even call it that for the Gamecube) on two completely different levels.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
What's funny about the GameCube is older people hated it but it was super popular with kids. There is no used game shop without 20 copies of Harry potter games. I've never looked at the numbers in that generation specifically but I doubt they lost much money at all on it.

The thing that a lot of people that don't realize saying Nintendo should do a, b, c is that these corporations aren't stupid. They do tons of analysis, run simulations based off directions and act off what they see is profitable for them. An example of this would be IBM. They started in the consumer market but lost to cheaper third parties. They evaluated and entered the enterprise market with services, software and hardware. They grew and while not as huge as the 80s they've maintained profitability.

Nintendo isn't retarded, they know what they're doing and wouldn't be where they are now if it was run with a ship of fools.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

flyboi posted:

What's funny about the GameCube is older people hated it but it was super popular with kids. There is no used game shop without 20 copies of Harry potter games. I've never looked at the numbers in that generation specifically but I doubt they lost much money at all on it.

It sold worse than the original Xbox. It sold a little more than 1/8th as many units as the PS2. They had to slash the price down to $150 after 6 months, then down to $99 a year later. They literally stopped producing them for a while in 2003 because they couldn't sell the ones they had out in the market.

It was a flop by all definitions of the word.

Lucky for them the Gameboy Advance was selling like crazy at the same time and kept them profitable.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Units moved are insignificant when you are a company that bases their numbers on attachment rate and your consoles don't sell at a loss.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

flyboi posted:

Units moved are insignificant when you are a company that bases their numbers on attachment rate and your consoles don't sell at a loss.

The Gamecube sold at a loss initially, and a big majority of Gamecubes were sold after the $99 price drop when they were selling at a loss again. The attach rate was also unspectacular.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

flyboi posted:

The thing that a lot of people that don't realize saying Nintendo should do a, b, c is that these corporations aren't stupid. They do tons of analysis, run simulations based off directions and act off what they see is profitable for them.
I've been part of those kinds of meetings with fairly major corporations. The problem with those simulations, assuming they even do them, is that it's necessary to make a ton of assumptions about unknowable variables. They tend to confirm the biases of the people who commission them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

flyboi posted:

If your consoles don't sell it's fine, because you're not basing your numbers on console sales! If the games don't sell it's fine, because you're not basing your numbers on game sales! Wait...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When complaining about New Super Mario Bros and how much it outsold Galaxy, you do have to keep in mind it added Co op multiplayer which had never been in a Mario game before, so it was actually fairly new ground for the Mario series, unlike the following two New games which added nothing new to the franchise at all.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Fallom posted:

If your consoles don't sell it's fine, because you're not basing your numbers on console sales! If the games don't sell it's fine, because you're not basing your numbers on game sales! Wait...

Please explain to me how Wii was a failure then :allears:

As I said earlier, I don't know much about the GameCube era but the Wii console never sold at a loss.

An example of attachment rate making numbers is Microsoft. With the xbox to get penetration according to analysts it was priced in a way that the console was a loss until a consumer purchased 3 games and the licensing costs made for the loss in hardware costs. Problem is the average game player purchases maybe 6 games, not 30 and it blew up in their face. Overall the Xbox was a huge loss for Microsoft but they wanted to eat it to make it into the market which evolved into the 360.

King Chicken
Apr 23, 2009
Since when was buying a Nintend system so drat complicated? As long as it gets Mario Party, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros. I can continue to host Tropical Thursdays. With Sonic Racing and Nintendo Land I already have two out of three.

NSMB U is awesome because of the challenges and boost mode. Those two things have made Mario one of the best party games. My wife and daughter have also been playing the hell out of it, and they didn't touch Galaxy. I have no idea why it's so appealing, but I would say its the best Mario game since Mario 64.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

flyboi posted:

No?

We were talking about the Gamecube, which had both a bad console sale rate and a bad attach rate. The thing about attach rates is that you also kind of need consoles to attach those extra sales to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

flyboi posted:

I'm pretty sure nobody here is saying the Wii was a financial failure. It was a great success, primarily for Nintendo, and it reached out to markets that hadn't previously been targeted with the same level of zeal or success.

However, few third parties games shared in that success to a significant degree, especially compared to how well some third parties did on the HD consoles. The market that supported the Wii so vigorously at its height has not shown up for the Wii U. The argument to be made here isn't that the Wii was actually a failure (though thanks for trying to take the thread in that direction), it should be "Is that market actually exploitable for sustainable success?" You can't say anything for certain at this point, but things for the Wii U aren't exactly looking great. Hopefully there's some amazing poo poo around the corner I can get excited about, because right now the only thing I really play on my Wii U is Monster Hunter. Nothing else I've played on the system has kept my interest for more than a day or two.

• Locked thread