Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Toki Tori 2 update is live in PAL-land; it'll be out in NA "soon". (EDIT: now!)

Also, if you redeemed a copy of Super Metroid on your Wii U from the last Club Nintendo promotion then NOA is gonna refund your 150 Coins. That's nice.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
More interesting news: Nintendo has OFLC-rated "Mystery of Murasame Castle" aka Nazo no Murasamejou, a Famicom Disk System game that has never been released outside of Japan that served as the inspiration for the "Takamura's Ninja Castle" attraction in Nintendo Land. I guess we can expect it on the VC sometime "soon".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
...oh, and one more bit of JP-related news:

The JP console got all three of these games as part of the latest update - Kirby's Dream Land 3, Kirby Star Stacker SFC and Kirby's Dream Course - and they're doing a promotion where buying any two games gets you the third for free.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

These recent 3D remakes from Sega aren't proper "3D Classics", that's why.

Then again, it raises an even more pressing question: why the hell hasn't Sega released anything at all on the international eShop in, what, a year? Not only does Japan have three of these 3D games now but they've been getting Game Gear games on the VC somewhat regularly, too, yet NA hasn't got a single new game since the Game Gear VC launch and PAL-land is doing only marginally better.

They keep rating all these games, so they clearly intend to release them eventually, so what's the hold-up?

We're getting Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic Labyrinth on the 3DS VC soon

bpc908 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 9, 2013

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

bpc908 posted:

We're getting Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic Labyrinth on the 3DS VXC soon

Its been soon for almost a year now.

Unless they put out news that they are most definitely coming soon, I wouldn't hold my breath.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

bpc908 posted:

Oh well HALLELUJAH.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Wait, so if I get say, super mario rpg for the Wii U VC, can I actually play that on my 3ds? I was almost positive I couldn't?

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

No, you can't. You can't play any Wii U VC games on the 3DS.

(edit for clarification: you can if the game is available on both the Wii U and 3DS, but they're separate purchases, obviously)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wii Street U is getting an update today that'll add Miiverse support; you can send screens/comments to Miiverse, tag locations with different descriptors like "awesome", "unusual" and "scary", view/share favourite locations, etc.

bpc908 posted:

They said that, like, a year ago. Remember the SUMMER OF 8-BIT?

Philosopher King posted:

Wait, so if I get say, super mario rpg for the Wii U VC, can I actually play that on my 3ds? I was almost positive I couldn't?

You can't.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

More interesting news: Nintendo has OFLC-rated "Mystery of Murasame Castle" aka Nazo no Murasamejou, a Famicom Disk System game that has never been released outside of Japan that served as the inspiration for the "Takamura's Ninja Castle" attraction in Nintendo Land. I guess we can expect it on the VC sometime "soon".

I will buy this if they bring it over to the states. Also, they should bring over Devil World. :getin:

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Wii Street U is getting an update today that'll add Miiverse support; you can send screens/comments to Miiverse, tag locations with different descriptors like "awesome", "unusual" and "scary", view/share favourite locations, etc.

They said that, like, a year ago. Remember the SUMMER OF 8-BIT?

You can't.

The pages for the games are up on the 3DS Eshop right now though

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

bpc908 posted:

The pages for the games are up on the 3DS Eshop right now though

Those games have been listed on the eShop for ages with that "coming soon" release date. I remember them from last year.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Finally, new items in the 3DS eShop Virtual Console section!

...it's those Zelda games Capcom made using the assets from Link's Awakening! And they're not out til the 30th!

Just put out Contra and the other Castlevania games, dammit!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Those are Konami games, so it's probably more their fault that those games aren't out yet, not Nintendo's.

As far as Contra is concerned, they've skipped over releasing it on both Wii and 3DS VC so far, so there must be some behind-the-scenes reason that's keeping it from being re-released. There's always Super C, I guess.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Philosopher King posted:

Emily Rogers said that you'll be able to pay an upgrade fee (ala Wii -> Wii U) in the future if games are available for both platforms. She talks about it here. Also I realize this doesn't really answer your question but is more of an addendum to what Laser Spider said.

pizza valentine fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 9, 2013

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

...it's those Zelda games Capcom made using the assets from Link's Awakening! And they're not out til the 30th!

The 30th? The oracle games are worth the wait, its just nice that they're coming this month instead of later.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of May 9):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 (permanent price drop) - €49.99 / £39.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Solomon's Key (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
    Xevious (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    World Heroes 2 Jet (Neo Geo) - 900 Points / $8.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Kirby's Adventure (VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30 until May 16
    Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until May 16

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Crash City Mayhem - €19.99 / £17.99
3DS eSHOP
    Mario & Donkey Kong: Minis On The Move - €9.99 / £8.99
    Bloody Vampire - €4.99 / £4.49
    Reel Fishing 3D Paradise Mini - €3.99 / £3.59
    The Beet Party: UnderWaterMelon (video) - €0.99 / £0.89
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Fire Emblem Awakening DLC
  • Champions of Yore #3 (Micaiah, difficulty **) - €1.99 / £1.79
  • Champions of Yore #1 (Marth, difficulty *) - free until May 19, normal price €1.99 / £1.79
  • Champions of Yore Pack (Marth, Roy [difficulty *] and Micaiah [**]) - €3.49 / £2.99 until May 19, normal price €4.99 / £4.49
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Wrecking Crew (NES) - €3.99 / £3.59
DSiWARE
    Color Commando - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Aero Porter (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until May 30
    Crimson Shroud (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until May 30
    Liberation Maiden (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until May 30

NA update (week of May 9):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Resident Evil Revelations (demo, available May 14)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Solomon's Key (NES) - $4.99
    Xevious (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop) - $7.49 until May 16
    Kirby's Adventure (Wii U VC) - $0.30 until May 17

3DS eSHOP
    Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move - $9.99
    SpeedX 3D: Hyper Edition - $2.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Fire Emblem Awakening DLC
  • Hot-Springs Scramble (children convos, difficulty **) - $3.00
DSiWARE
    Publisher Dream - 200 Points / $1.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Aero Porter (3DS eShop) - $2.99 until May 30
    Crimson Shroud (3DS eShop) - $4.99 until May 30
    Liberation Maiden (3DS eShop) - $4.99 until May 30

Starship Damrey was bumped from the PAL update; Level-5 moved it to next week so they could release simultaneously with the NA version.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

PAL update (week of May 9):Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 (permanent price drop) - €49.99 / £39.99
So what are they dropping the price to?

Oh.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

What in the world are those Wii U Virtual Console releases? Xevious is incredibly primitive and outdone even within its own series by a number of later sequels, and... I'd honestly never even heard of Solomon's Key.

I don't understand their virtual console strategy at all, but it feels a little early to already be scraping the obscure bottom of the barrel for releases.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Solomon's Key is a really good puzzle platformer actually. See if you can find the Gamecenter CX episode about it, it will explain it pretty well.

It was also one of the first Wii virtual console games, like second or third week.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

Just put out Contra and the other Castlevania games, dammit!

I bet the Oracles are coming out now so as to capitalize on the hype generated by the announcement of A Link to the Past 2. Besides, they're still the best 2D Zeldas ever, so they'll still be an instant respect buy from me even if I have long since beaten both of them.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Xevious and Solomon's Key, hot drat they're really coming out swingin' with the Virtual Console!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ain't a lot of the stuff out right now the very original Virtual Console releases? I remember getting Solomon's Key along with Sim City and Super Mario World.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

Xevious and Solomon's Key, hot drat they're really coming out swingin' with the Virtual Console!

Except its the inferior NES Xevious.

If you have a 3DS you can get the Arcade version as a 3D Classic for the same price.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Any word on Minis on the Move? Looks like a cute game, if slightly overpriced.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Fancy Hat! posted:

Any word on Minis on the Move? Looks like a cute game, if slightly overpriced.

The Mario vs DK games are generally pretty good value for money. The DSi one had 100 levels, and Mini Land Mayhem had like 200 IIRC.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You're getting SMB2, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts and Super Metroid next week. Does that help ease the pain at all?

Nick at Nite posted:

What in the world are those Wii U Virtual Console releases? Xevious is incredibly primitive and outdone even within its own series by a number of later sequels, and... I'd honestly never even heard of Solomon's Key.

I don't understand their virtual console strategy at all, but it feels a little early to already be scraping the obscure bottom of the barrel for releases.

These games aren't obscure in Japan, and 99% of the VC publishers are Japanese.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

You're getting SMB2, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts and Super Metroid next week. Does that help ease the pain at all?

Someone will find something to complain about.

Do we have any kind of ETA on the Luigi DLC on the Wii U? I really wish they would have let it be known from the beginning there was potential for that kind of DLC before I sold my copy :smith:.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think they're still just saying "summer", no word on an exact date, price, etc.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

katkillad2 posted:

I really wish they would have let it be known from the beginning there was potential for that kind of DLC before I sold my copy :smith:.

There was this http://www.computerandvideogames.com/379055/new-super-mario-bros-u-to-receive-dlc-courses/

You should have read my summary in the Wii U thread :catbert:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

I read the first post I promise! Also now that I see that article i'm sure I read that as well at some point. I think I just assumed it was going to be more like bonus levels to play modes like they did with coin rush or whatever and less likely that it would be almost a new game entirely with Luigi.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

katkillad2 posted:

I read the first post I promise! Also now that I see that article i'm sure I read that as well at some point. I think I just assumed it was going to be more like bonus levels to play modes like they did with coin rush or whatever and less likely that it would be almost a new game entirely with Luigi.

Well, I don't think anyone quite expected that.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

These games aren't obscure in Japan, and 99% of the VC publishers are Japanese.

Meanwhile, the Japanese releases haven't been obscure anywhere, so uh...

Next week's going to be great, though.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is there some particular reason that, say, NES games will come out for one VC system and not the other? Why release SMB2 for Wii U and not 3DS? Is there some high-level strategy I'm just not seeing here?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Guilty posted:

Is there some particular reason that, say, NES games will come out for one VC system and not the other? Why release SMB2 for Wii U and not 3DS? Is there some high-level strategy I'm just not seeing here?

I'm guessing if they release something on both platforms at the same time very few people will buy it on both. But if they stagger it, they'll get some people who will say "I haven't played this in awhile... why not have a portable/home console version too!"

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I may as well cross-post this from the General 3DS thread. Someone in there asked for impressions on the new Mario vs. DK: Minis on the Move game, so I wrote some up and described the various game modes in a few different posts: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529734&userid=117149#post415294150

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I may as well cross-post this from the General 3DS thread. Someone in there asked for impressions on the new Mario vs. DK: Minis on the Move game, so I wrote some up and described the various game modes in a few different posts: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529734&userid=117149#post415294150

That was pretty comprehensive and sounds pretty fun, thanks!

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm having a ton of fun with Minis on the Move. Lots of content and you can even create your own maps to upload, and download other peoples maps to play.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of May 16):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (permanent price drop) - €29.99 / £23.99
    Resident Evil Revelations (demo, available May 14)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
    Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (SNES) - €7.99 / £5.49
    Super Metroid (SNES VC Trial Campaign, available May 14) - €0.30 / £0.30 until June 14
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Kirby's Adventure (VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30 until May 16
    Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until May 16
    BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Wii U eShop) - €8.99 / £8.00 from May 16-30

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates To Infinity - €39.99 / £34.99
3DS eSHOP
    The Starship Damrey - €7.99 / £7.19
    Retro Pocket - €4.99 / £4.49
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man 5 (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
DSiWARE
    Color Commando - 200 Points / €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Aero Porter (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until May 30
    Crimson Shroud (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until May 30
    Liberation Maiden (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until May 30
    Planet Crashers (3DS eShop) - €6.99 / £6.29 from May 16-30

On Super Metroid: "This is the European version of the game, which was optimised originally by the developer to offer gameplay and music speed similar to the US version. Demos and animations may run at PAL speed. The aspect ratio has been corrected for this release."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cool to see TTT2 getting a price drop, it got discounted to £19.99 on PS3 a month or two ago and I wasn't sure they'd do the same on Wii U. I might pick it up again if I can find out the file size. I've heard that Assassin's Creed 3 is like 15GB which would be a nightmare to download, not to mention that pretty much half of your 32GB is gone.