Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
This media type UST NOT be used unless the sender knows that the recipient can arse it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol video standards?! who needs em!

now real media codec...now we're talkin!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

helix was p good for a while there but it was overtaken by superior codecs p quick

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

i like to think video is like any other industry, 4,522 codecs, 4 of which anyone uses, none of which there's an actual effective overlap in so all your devices can almost talk to each other it a way that almost works and so you need to second-guess it all ahead of time for it to come out almost half-good

and then everyone else fucks it all up anyway

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

tell me about it. people pay me to make h.264s for them because final cut pro is so bad at doing it.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

i saw twixtor artifacts in a broadcast tv ad today i was all :catstare:

whoah these artifacts own

they should make a video tht's nothing but this

i want to see it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQokTc8D0P8

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Resplendent Spiral posted:

whoah these artifacts own

have you ever datamoshed?

have you ever datamoshed twixtor artifacts?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so if I open a video file in say a text editor how can I know what are the headers so I can mess poo poo up

what do I need to read to find this out

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
or I should say, avoid messing up the poo poo I shouldn't

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
download avidemux 2.5 (the old version, 2.6 is a crashy piece of poo poo)

open an mp4-file (say "no" to the dialog about safe mode)

this is a-marker:
this is b-marker:

cursor up jumps to next i-frame, down jumps to previous i-frame. right goes to next frame, left goes to previous frame.

press cursor up until you find a good starting frame

set b-marker, press delete.

press cursor up until you find an i-frame you want to delete. set a-marker, press right cursor, set b-marker, press delete

do that to any i-frames you want to delete, then jump ahead a couple of i-frames and set a-marker and delete the rest of the video

set video to copy and format as mp4, save your file.

enjoy your datamoshed mp4 file withouth having to edit a file in a text editor.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wheany posted:

have you ever datamoshed?

have you ever datamoshed twixtor artifacts?

have you ever datamoshed twixtor artifacts on weed??

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

erre day i datamoshin'

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

hey since this seems to be the thread for this stuff, is there any place for a mere mortal (i.e. a home user without an audio production budget) to get decent sound effects? I'm talking specifically things like this video for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW2LOgchfno

Looking for stuff like the muted boom that happens at 0:07, the ambient mechanical/electronic humming that happens throughout the beginning, the mechanical click that happens at 0:26 when the headlights turn on.

Can us mortals get ahold of that stuff or is it down to making our own effects or ripping things out of existing videos?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

us in "da bizzz" call it foley

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

hey since this seems to be the thread for this stuff, is there any place for a mere mortal (i.e. a home user without an audio production budget) to get decent sound effects? I'm talking specifically things like this video for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW2LOgchfno

Looking for stuff like the muted boom that happens at 0:07, the ambient mechanical/electronic humming that happens throughout the beginning, the mechanical click that happens at 0:26 when the headlights turn on.

Can us mortals get ahold of that stuff or is it down to making our own effects or ripping things out of existing videos?

been going to http://www.freesound.org/ for ages, not sure if that's what you are looking for tho (it helped me a ton)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spankmeister posted:

note that i'm not actually in it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

spankmeister posted:

hey buddy i can bang my own trashcan lids together, i want to download someone elses trashcan lid banging

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

been going to http://www.freesound.org/ for ages, not sure if that's what you are looking for tho (it helped me a ton)

hmm, I think i can make this one work for that bass hit after I add some sub-bass and whatnot in audacity

http://www.freesound.org/people/TicTacShutUp/sounds/448/

in the biz we call that e-foley

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

theres a lot of "ambient" sample packs you can find out there. i got a used copy of spectrasonic's distorted reality 1 & 2 sample packs which has a lot of that weird stuff for $12 on ebay

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

i've been browsing that freesound site for a bit and they have like everything you would need.

this one is almost perfectly what i was looking for, no editing needed http://www.freesound.org/people/unfa/sounds/156500/

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
has anyone figured out how to get after effects/premiere cs6 to use x264 on os x yet

i tried using that x264Encoder quicktime plugin but it doesn't work and adobe's h264 encoder is slow as balls and bad quality

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

i've been browsing that freesound site for a bit and they have like everything you would need.

this one is almost perfectly what i was looking for, no editing needed http://www.freesound.org/people/unfa/sounds/156500/

gich (glad i could help)

seriously tho that site ownes and im glad it suits your needs

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Oh hey, after owning my TV for about 4 years, I just discovered it has an RJ-45 jack on the back. I have literally no idea what it does.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jimmy Carter posted:

Oh hey, after owning my TV for about 4 years, I just discovered it has an RJ-45 jack on the back. I have literally no idea what it does.

i'm sure that's for servicing the tv

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jimmy Carter posted:

what model is it

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

well, as someone who hopefully just completed an "introduction to digital sound processing" course, i'd say that to create a sound effect, download (because lol@buying things) a bunch of questionable quality sounds, add a noise floor filter, then edit their envelopes, add a bunch of environmental and other effects and then layer the poo poo out of them.

i'm poo poo at it, you're probably poo poo at it, but god drat if the instructor of the course didn't impress me by describing the different elements of a initially simple sounding "fhwap" type sound effect of a thing hitting another thing.

it was seriously the most interesting course i have taken so far simply because the instructor clearly knew his poo poo and loved what he does.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jimmy Carter posted:

My Samsung network extender from verizon has an HDMI port on it

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Quine Connoisseur posted:

has anyone figured out how to get after effects/premiere cs6 to use x264 on os x yet

i tried using that x264Encoder quicktime plugin but it doesn't work and adobe's h264 encoder is slow as balls and bad quality

There is an adobe plugin SDK you can get, and x264 is open source. It would take some programming but you could potentally create an x264 exporter for CS6.

but lol good luck at that, nobody wants to make plugins for adobe, because it must be hard. (Requires C)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i've just been using lossless and then ffmpeg to encode to h264 with x264 but encoding to lossless (and getting a 50+GB file) for just a temporary file is loving bullshit

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

If you're in windows (The superior codec OS) you can use this:

http://www.debugmode.com/frameserver/

It creates a reference AVI file from your NLE and then you can encode that in just about anything in windows.

If you're really effect heavy in your NLE, you still will want to bake it all out into an intermediate since you'll most likely be doing 2 passes.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
our workflow:

a) editors export sequence
b) editors transcode into h264 baseline profile (ffmpeg/x264)
c) editors upload to our webserver
d) clips are then streamed through wowza to producers nationwide ~~~

producers are lazy fucks who think watching movies on their telephone counts as providing constructive feedback (also lots of them are on shoots but need to watch rough cuts or something), so that's why baseline profile is important. however wowza/jwplayer are totally capable of doing adaptive streaming, so i'd like to start having the editors export in higher quality and then having the server transcode into different profiles.

many of our editors are freelancers who don't work onsite, so exporting uploading full resolution clips to our webserver is not reasonable. i need to come up with intermediary transcode settings, probably targeting ~ 1gb for a 22 minute clip. obviously it won't be the highest quality imaginable, but that's to be expected.

is h264 suitable for this intermediary transcode? do i need to do things like make sure my keyframe intervals line up or is that not going to matter? is there anything special i should do?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it depends on the resolution, a 22 minute 1080p clip encoded as h264 targeting 1gb is going to look like garbage

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
well yeah. right now we're doing 640x360 for iPhones, at RF 24 that usually ends up between 170-200mbs. 1080p is out of the question. 720p might be doable but i'd be happy just to get to 960x540.

i'm really just wondering if there are any specific h264 options i need to be careful with when doing a double encode

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
720p at crf 21 or so would probably not look too bad and depending on the content and what preset you use it'll probably be under 1gb

just play around with the settings i guess, the only way you're going to get an exact file size is with a specified bitrate

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
you could definitely get 22min 720p to be around ~1gb and it would probably look not to shabby

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Jimmy Carter posted:

if it does anything it'll be a really lovely network share browser that does mpeg2 and if you're lucky also divx!!!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'll just mess with it. i'm the only person who will care if the quality is less than it could be so

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ahmeni posted:

if it does anything it'll be a really lovely network share browser that does mpeg2 and if you're lucky also divx!!!

i was pretty surprised when i found out my directv receiver does mpeg2 if you set up some weird upnp bullshit

like 6 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
snipe set up

• Locked thread