Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Is there a charging indicator LED? Diodes only allow current to flow through them in one direction, so if it was designed this way for safety, nothing would happen. I guess worst-case would be it starting a fire and killing you, but that's unlikely. If I were going to do it, I'd just try it one way for a couple of seconds (positive center first) and see if the light came on, and if not, try it the other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Hmm, a post a an obscure forum supports the idea that the center should be positive.

Well, here goes...

Actually it appears to be charging and the motor runs when I push the button, so thanks a lot!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Is there a polarity indicator on the device itself?

If it's a barrel-type plug the center pin is probably positive.

Don't bank on this though, friend of mine ruined capture card using the wrong adapter. Even if the polarity is the same (it's often not), the voltage might not be.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

If I upgrade to iOS 6 am I really going to lose all my contacts/messages/photos, etc?

edit: on my iPhone, 5.1.1

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I sent in an application to AT&T locally, if I get an interview, would a button up no tie + slacks be overdoing it?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I sent in an application to AT&T locally, if I get an interview, would a button up no tie + slacks be overdoing it?

Typical advice is to dress one step nicer than the position that you're interviewing for. I'd say that button-up & slacks is appropriate interview attire for any position that allows for casual dress.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Did Frédéric Bartholdi know that the Statue of Liberty was going to turn green when he designed it? Or was it originally meant to stay copper-colored forever?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Raimundus posted:

Did Frédéric Bartholdi know that the Statue of Liberty was going to turn green when he designed it? Or was it originally meant to stay copper-colored forever?

The fact that copper turns green over time has been known for centuries, and he didn't exactly have plans to keep it polished.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Just looking for a general consensus here (if that's even possible) -- is a "restaurant" any place you can sit down and eat out at (e.g.: Chinese, McDonald's, pizza, diner, etc.) or is it only a family restaurant (Denny's, Applebee's, Bob Evans, etc.)?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Are there any popular conspiracy theories that were proved correct? I don't mean stuff we found out about like Watergate; I'm thinking of cases where a lot of people believed in a specific conspiracy that was discovered to be a real conspiracy.

tarepanda posted:

Just looking for a general consensus here (if that's even possible) -- is a "restaurant" any place you can sit down and eat out at (e.g.: Chinese, McDonald's, pizza, diner, etc.) or is it only a family restaurant (Denny's, Applebee's, Bob Evans, etc.)?

The first one

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 9, 2013

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Gravity Pike posted:

Typical advice is to dress one step nicer than the position that you're interviewing for. I'd say that button-up & slacks is appropriate interview attire for any position that allows for casual dress.

True, but if you don't know the typical dress in the company that can be tricky.

Being involved with hiring myself I have heard many a nitpick about dress and my advice would be (for any office type/inside job to include IT etc): Shirt, slacks, tie as a bare minimum.

It won't help necessarily but it's a fact that we get a first impression and base a lot of our initial assumptions on that. If everyone else interviewing has a tie or coat and tie you will be recognized from that, at least in the minds of the interviewers.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Are there any popular conspiracy theories that were proved correct? I don't mean stuff we found out about like Watergate; I'm thinking of cases where a lot of people believed in a specific conspiracy that was discovered to be a real conspiracy.

Cracked recently had an article on that subject:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19884_6-insane-conspiracy-theories-that-actually-happened.html

(no idea if any of it is truth I just remembered it)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The government really did try to destroy MLK, including, but not limited to: attempting to convince him to kill himself, trying to destroy his marriage by making doctored photos of him sleeping with another woman, and probably having a hand in his death

And yeah the gulf of tonkin poo poo also happened. God bless America :911:

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

tarepanda posted:

Most generally, I would say the that a place is a restaurant if you sit down an order from a server who delivers your food, and fast food or a cafeteria otherwise.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

tarepanda posted:

I'd say that a restaurant is any permanent structure that serves food prepared on-site. My local Chinese place is take-out only, but I still call it a restaurant.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muike posted:

The government really did try to destroy MLK, including, but not limited to: attempting to convince him to kill himself, trying to destroy his marriage by making doctored photos of him sleeping with another woman, and probably having a hand in his death

And yeah the gulf of tonkin poo poo also happened. God bless America :911:

Remember the Maine.

Thanks William Randolph Hearst, you were the Rupert Murdoch of the 19th century, the father of yellow journalism and the war on drugs.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

tarepanda posted:

Practically speaking, a restaurant is any business whose primary purpose is providing prepared food in a ready to eat form.

Of course, it's a bit old fashioned to call a McDonald's a restaurant in everyday speech.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Cracked recently had an article on that subject:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19884_6-insane-conspiracy-theories-that-actually-happened.html

(no idea if any of it is truth I just remembered it)

I guess it's clear that #6 and #1 (the streetcar conspiracy and the gulf of Tonkin incident) really happened, but were there conspiracy theories at the time that the government would fake an attack or that General Motors was going to rip up all the streetcars? That's what I mean – cases where a specific conspiracy theory was shown to be correct.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I guess it's clear that #6 and #1 (the streetcar conspiracy and the gulf of Tonkin incident) really happened, but were there conspiracy theories at the time that the government would fake an attack or that General Motors was going to rip up all the streetcars? That's what I mean – cases where a specific conspiracy theory was shown to be correct.

I think I get the gist of what you're saying but a lot of these types of things were covered up not so much with misinformation but with none at all after time had passed.

It just seems like history books and the media zoomed over some of this poo poo and left future generations in the dark for the motivations of scandalous poo poo that bloody well happened.

Maybe a better topic for DnD? I could probably go on for pages but the essence of the responses you've received so far are that history is written by the victors.

You can find a lot of that history in a Texas book depository.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Streetcars weren't a conspiracy, the companies were usually quite open about the fact they thought buses were a lot better then streetcars and wanted to replace them.

Also due to the whole thing where America was the world's top oil producer at the time, diesel buses offered extremely cheap running costs compared to electricity, which was often quite expensive. Effectively, the whole thing seemed like it'd be a great idea at the time. No one bothered to pay attention to pollution or the idea that maybe oil wouldn't be plentiful forever.

edit: The only shady thing around is that people decades later assume that the only reason bus replacements happened was because the bus plans were some kind of horrible secret. In reality, motor buses were kind of the hip new technology while many saw streetcars as being dated and inflexible. General Motors et al would take out large advertising runs to promote buses and cars and so on.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 9, 2013

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I have no idea if this is the right place to put this, but does anyone have any Best Man speeches they know of/have given? I need some serious help here...

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The long and the short of it is that the internet wasn't around for much of our history. It's a new medium that allows people from every corner of the world to share their questions and/or confirmation bias.

Iraq and WMD/Al Queada is the most recent full on conspiracy theory I can think of that was pretty much validated.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tarepanda posted:

dictionary.com posted:

restaurant (ˈrɛstəˌrɒŋ, ˈrɛstrɒŋ, -rɒnt)
— noun
a commercial establishment where meals are prepared and served to customers

feedmyleg posted:

I have no idea if this is the right place to put this, but does anyone have any Best Man speeches they know of/have given? I need some serious help here...

Are you looking for some sort of template or something? What sort of help are you actually looking for?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Tiggum posted:

[url=http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/restaurant]

I'm aware of that... but I was just wondering what's going on with the populist definition. I've noticed that in the last seven years or so I'm encountering more and more people who do not consider fast food places (whether pizza, burgers, or Chinese) to be "restaurants."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Restaurants are a place where you can buy food and eat it, or take it somewhere else and eat it. Nobody makes that rigid of a definition with the word.

Tiggum posted:

Are you looking for some sort of template or something? What sort of help are you actually looking for?

I just have no idea how to construct or present the Best Man Speech. I know it should be very personal, but doing a Google search is just coming up with terrible generic speeches. I just want to see speeches that people consider to be good so i can use some of those ideas as a jumping-off point.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

tarepanda posted:

I'm aware of that... but I was just wondering what's going on with the populist definition. I've noticed that in the last seven years or so I'm encountering more and more people who do not consider fast food places (whether pizza, burgers, or Chinese) to be "restaurants."

Well they are, they're just kind of crappy restaurants with bad service!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

feedmyleg posted:

I just have no idea how to construct or present the Best Man Speech. I know it should be very personal, but doing a Google search is just coming up with terrible generic speeches. I just want to see speeches that people consider to be good so i can use some of those ideas as a jumping-off point.

The best man at a wedding I went to recently just talked about how he met the groom, how the groom met the bride and a bit about his impressions of how the two were suited to each other, basically. The most important things are to not embarrass anyone in front of their parents and to not go on too long. There'll probably be speeches by parents, best man, maid of honour, bride and groom, so that's a lot of sitting/standing around listening to speeches, so if you can keep the length down then it will be appreciated. And play to your strengths. If you're not good at telling jokes, don't tell jokes, etc.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

The best wedding speeches I've heard were extemporaneous and short. Tell a very short story demonstrating why you admire the groom and then the same for the bride. Then say why you're so happy they found each other. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be honest. If it's honest it won't be necessary to rehearse and it won't be possible to mess up a script.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Smeep posted:

If I upgrade to iOS 6 am I really going to lose all my contacts/messages/photos, etc?

edit: on my iPhone, 5.1.1
No. Upgrades don't delete stuff, but you really should enable iCloud and/or iTunes backup also because it's free and that way you'll never lose anything even if you change devices.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
I'm starting a cheese blog, and I'd like my pictures to not look like crap. Any recommendations for a camera that will take nice photos, but won't break the bank?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

uberwekkness posted:

I'm starting a cheese blog, and I'd like my pictures to not look like crap. Any recommendations for a camera that will take nice photos, but won't break the bank?

Digital cameras are one of the few consumer electronic items that are generally long-lived and reliable. So buy any DSLR from two generations ago and a close-focusing (macro) lens; that should be pretty cheap. Research the basics of exposure and learn what white balance is and they won't look like crap. Then send me loads of cheese at this address:

Cheese for Jerry
Jerry's Mansion
Prattville, Connecticut

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

tarepanda posted:

Whether or not they consider them "restaurants," they still probably use the word when describing them. They probably say "fast food restaurant" for the same reason I say "Lifetime movie." They may be poo poo, but they are still members of the category.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

uberwekkness posted:

Lighting makes a much bigger difference than what camera you use.

Mescal posted:

The best wedding speeches I've heard were extemporaneous and short. Tell a very short story demonstrating why you admire the groom and then the same for the bride. Then say why you're so happy they found each other. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be honest. If it's honest it won't be necessary to rehearse and it won't be possible to mess up a script.

All of this is perfect, and you should also remember that unless the bride and groom are paying for the wedding themselves you should thank the person who paid for everything at the start of your speech.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Mescal posted:

And keep it PG.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There was a great frontpage update in the form of a small-town news article about a local, uh, historical treasure: a sentient, indestructible concrete pillar that shuffled from place to place, murdering people with the heavy chain that emanated from a hole in its surface. I don't remember what it was called, so I can't search for it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

greazeball posted:

This. For still life pictures like you're taking any digital camera in the $150 category will be enough (shoot an iPhone 5 camera would probably be enough) but you need a good lighting box. I don't know as much about those as a lot of people though so I'd take advice from them. I believe they're pretty cheap to make on your own. Maybe a tripod would be good too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

greazeball posted:

This a thousand times. You can buy a pop-up half-metre cube lighting box from eBay or Amazon etc for a few bucks, then shine a couple of $5 spotlights onto the outside of the cube for even lighting.

mid
Aug 2, 2002

Bang.
Can an electrical wall outlet kill an electronic device? I know they can stop working but I never thought they could actually harm a device. I've had three phone chargers die on me in my new apartment in the past few days and I'm convinced it's because of faulty wiring.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I'm selling a vcr/dvd combo player on eBay (found it at Goodwill a year ago for $5 and apparently it's worth a lot more) and a lot of the listings mention having a tuner. What exactly is a tuner and how do I check for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

My recommendation is to open with a couple cheesy, light, good-natured jokes about the groom, tell a funny story about the groom, say some nice things about the groom, tell a touching story about what a good guy the groom is, say some nice things about the bride, say how much the groom loves the bride and how his life improved after they met, say some nice things about their future life together.

It's really easy to get laughs at a wedding because most of the people are at least a little lit. Generally speaking, it's a super-friendly audience, and people put way too much pressure on themselves to give, like, the perfect speech when it's really not that big of a deal.

I would also keep it to under twelve minutes; I would say about eight minutes is the sweet spot for a Best Man speech.

Also, unless you are very, very good friends with the bride, do not make jokes about her in your speech.