Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
All I know is that I'm becoming more and more detached from my DSLR gear. I picked up my 40D with 17-50 f/2.8 the other day for the first time in a long time and it felt like a giant clown camera because it was so big and heavy compared to my NEX that I've been shooting everything with for the last year or two.

I will likely never buy another APS-C DSLR again. If I ever do buy a DSLR, it will be full frame because mirrorless does APS-C so well at a fraction of the weight and size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

HPL posted:

I will likely never buy another APS-C DSLR again. If I ever do buy a DSLR, it will be full frame because mirrorless does APS-C so well at a fraction of the weight and size.

Considering how well the APS-C mirrorless cameras are performing, you don't really need a full frame DSLR either, unless you really really need superfast AF speed or creamy creamy bokeh. And maybe by the time you want one, we will finally see FF MILCs on the market.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thom Hogan is a confirmed mirrorless hater (for why I don't know, probably grew from his 4/3 m4/3 hatred.

He made the sansmirror website and let it rot there just so he didn't have to mention any mirrorless stuff in his main site.

I have no royalty to any camera format. I expect 3 years from now, I will shift half of my photography duty from mirrorless to Ricoh GR type one piece cameras. A 28mm GR and a 21mm f/3.2 equivalent point and shoot is all I need.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 2, 2013

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Whatever7, do you think it will make any difference from which website that I pre-order the Ricoh GR for it to arrive the quickest? I'd rather not have to wait months if I can help it, and I don't know if ordering directly from Ricoh would speed things up, or if they would try to keep their big order customers like Adorama and B&H happy first. You seem to have a bajillion cameras, so I thought you might be the man to ask.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Costello Jello posted:

Whatever7, do you think it will make any difference from which website that I pre-order the Ricoh GR for it to arrive the quickest? I'd rather not have to wait months if I can help it, and I don't know if ordering directly from Ricoh would speed things up, or if they would try to keep their big order customers like Adorama and B&H happy first. You seem to have a bajillion cameras, so I thought you might be the man to ask.

Sorry dude can't help you with that one. I usually don't line up for first batch. The only camera I preordered was XE1. I ordered it from Crutchfield because it was the only place I could buy without tax.

In your case, place the preorder on Amazon or B&H first. And maybe setup an photorumors alert or just hangout on the dprebiew Ricoh forum. I am sure those people know which website is shipping first.

The GR is a good camera to preorder because the resell value won't drop for at least 6 months.

I go back and fore alot, I now think I should get the Fuji 35/1.4 first and Ricoh GR next year.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 3, 2013

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

HPL posted:

Just got the Sony E-mount 35mm f/1.8 OSS. It pumps a lot while focusing, quite a bit more than the 16mm f/2.8 and kit lens. As a result, it's kind of slow for focusing compared to those two. It's also a little different in that it opens up to max aperture when focusing, so if you're at f/8, it'll open up to f/1.8 to focus, then stop back down to f/8, which also adds on a little delay. It's kind of like going back to before Sony came out with the firmware updates that tweaked the AF speed. So in that respect it's kind of disappointing, but then I bought this for low light concert photography so hopefully the AF won't be too slow for that. I really was okay with shooting with manual focus lenses, but I like using AF lenses because then I can drink beer while shooting. Overall, the aperture improvement is greatly appreciated, but the package as a whole feels like a step backwards.

Have you tried focus peaking? I've used mine mainly for film shooting so autofocus hasn't been a big drag for me. Sometimes at max aperture it's hard for me to focus even with peaking though because the depth of field is shallow. If your subject doesn't have a lot of contrast you get just a hint of the color, even when it's set to max.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Empty Pockets posted:

Have you tried focus peaking? I've used mine mainly for film shooting so autofocus hasn't been a big drag for me. Sometimes at max aperture it's hard for me to focus even with peaking though because the depth of field is shallow. If your subject doesn't have a lot of contrast you get just a hint of the color, even when it's set to max.

I didn't pay this much money for loving focus peaking. Otherwise I'd just go back to using manual focus primes like I've already been doing. Hopefully the lens will work better on one of those pseudo-phase detection AF cameras like the 6 or 5R.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Costello Jello posted:

This is Nikon so it may or may not be applicable, but people who preordered the D800 from B&H when it went up in February were still waiting when I got mine in April after waiting two weeks for a local camera store. My local store only got 3 D800s in its first run while I'm sure B&H got hundreds, but the demand was so much lower the local store got it to me months before it would have come from B&H.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

powderific posted:

My local store only got 3 D800s in its first run while I'm sure B&H got hundreds, but the demand was so much lower the local store got it to me months before it would have come from B&H.

That sounds like a good idea, but I don't have any real camera stores in my area, unfortunately. It's a dying breed.

whatever7 posted:

And maybe setup an photorumors alert or just hangout on the dprebiew Ricoh forum. I am sure those people know which website is shipping first.

I've just been checking out the Ricoh forum on dpreview. Good God, they are so loving autistic.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Costello Jello posted:

I've just been checking out the Ricoh forum on dpreview. Good God, they are so loving autistic.

Pretty much every enthusiast forum is. SA is one of the few that is halfway decent- and that's because of the mods/$10 cost to troll.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Anyone in NYC/Manhattan have an X100 I could try out? I'm considering picking one up used but would like to see if it's right for me before I order.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Read through this thread but didnt see a solid review of the Olympus 15mm body cap lens. Price difference aside, is the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 enough better that the extra bulk is worth it?

How much bulkier is the Panasonic? Is it the difference between pocketable and not?

I'm gonna go to my local camera store today, but wanted some goon thoughts.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

HolySwissCheese posted:

Read through this thread but didnt see a solid review of the Olympus 15mm body cap lens. Price difference aside, is the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 enough better that the extra bulk is worth it?

How much bulkier is the Panasonic? Is it the difference between pocketable and not?

MrDespair has one. He likes it, you should ask him about it.

Suicide Watch, head to Adoramas shop and hold one.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

HolySwissCheese posted:

The body cap lens is pretty neat, I have it on my E-PL1. The image quality is about what you'd expect for a lens like that, it's almost Holga-ish, a bit soft in the corners and very basic scale focusing. Definitely worth $40 though as a fun little party/walkaround lens.

But really, you can't compare the two lenses.

Olympus - f/8, very little (manual) focusing, a toy lens
Panasonic - f/2.5 (adjustable aperture), actual real auto focusing, a real lens

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I have the Panasonic and I like it a lot. It seems very sharp.

The 15mm is an appalling lens - you really can't compare the two at all. It is literally the worst lens in the world (according to DXO Mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra098DjV4SY

spog fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 7, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I think spog hit it on the head (make sure you watch the video, it does a good job of making the point of "yeah, it's not a great lens optically, but it's still awesome"). The body cap lens is as close to pocketable as you can get, but other then size there isn't much to compare between the two. Get both!

These were both taken with the body cap lens:

P2170102.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P2180138.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You are better of taking picture with your phone.

If you want to pick up girls with that lens, its a cheap investment.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 7, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

whatever7 posted:

You hate fun.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

whatever7 posted:

Bro, do you even talk to girls?

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
OK, I think my conclusion is that if the size difference is enough that it's the difference between being pocketable or not, then I should get both. If the Panasonic 14mm is pocketable, then the body cap isn't really necessary anyway.

edit also, mr despair, those shots are great and I would be happy if the body cap were my walking around lens.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, it really just depends how big your pockets are.

To be honest I haven't been using it much lately, but that's just because my favorite windbreaker has big enough pockets that my om-d is pocketable even with a 200mm prime adapted to it.

Here are some links showing how big they are on an om-d, to give you an idea of the difference.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQj3cgj7G0U2ow7MQF3YlT67oJvnZKWg4Mf3wqgBvtN8MUOFNM32A

http://m8.i.pbase.com/g2/06/296006/2/147905448.mFS5Hzep.jpg

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

HolySwissCheese posted:

OK, I think my conclusion is that if the size difference is enough that it's the difference between being pocketable or not, then I should get both. If the Panasonic 14mm is pocketable, then the body cap isn't really necessary anyway.

edit also, mr despair, those shots are great and I would be happy if the body cap were my walking around lens.

The 14mm is pretty tiddly.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
I'm going to end up with both, amn't I? You motherfuckers.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I have both the 14mm Lumix and the Uber Horrible Worst Lens in All History 15mm BCL.
The 15mm lives on my E-PM1. The 14mm is in its box so I can sell it some day if I feel motivated.
The 15 is fun. I keep it in my car set to infinity focus and, if something catches my eye, I can grab a quick shot without waiting for focusing.
Mounted on the Pen Mini, it's very pocketable. I know what it's limitations are and I can live with it.
(I also like to see what DXO mark says about lenses but, as they say on their site, it's just a measure of sensor performance and has little to no bearing on making good photographs. People sure do get spergy about it on other photo forums tho.)

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
I'm liking the 15mm bodycap lens. It really is super mini, but I'm surprised how restrictive I find f/8 to be. Here are some lovely sample shots.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

the weirdest dogge.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Trigger-Adapter-Receiver-Channels/dp/B00CAGPPDO/

i've ordered this thing, i'll report back if it makes my camera burst into flames, it should work fine with my old speedlite

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Yesterday I have shot an entire theatrical play (eldest daughter's school) with my Nex c3 and the wonderful flash addon gadget I've seen on this thread.
I could operate my setup of remote flashes with the c3, it's been hilarious, best fun I had in a while.

Only problem was, at the end of the second show the camera was getting a bit warm, I was glad I didn't have to keep shooting.
I had been shooting during, pre, post and even in between the two shows. I depleted two fully charged batteries.

Can't post kids pics online without tutors' consent so here's a pic of the stage after the show:

Kid's play di maxmars70, su Flickr

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

The new Olympus E-P5 has been officially announced now; it looks like it's quite a capable little camera. I'm not sure how well it's going to sell though, since it's the exact same price as the Olympus OM-D EM-5 that has an EVF, and not really significantly smaller.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I wish Olympus would come out with a sleeker non-pivoting add-on EVF. The VF-4 is incredibly fugly.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I'd accept a smaller screen if it gave them space for a nicely integrated EVF.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There should be a design of mirrorless body where you have the EVF at the left side of screen.

The problem of the NEX7 and XE1 design is that the integrated EVF adds height. If you put it at the left corner and make the LCD screen smaller, its possible to make the body as tall as the NEX-5 and EP1.

Also I have heard rumor of a cheaper Fuji body without the EVF. Hopefully Fuji rip off this flip around LCD hinge. It's pretty handy.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
TriggerTrap: Ordered. http://shop.triggertrap.com/collections/fujifilm/products/triggertrap-mobile-dongle-md-e3-for-canon

I needed a Timelapse solution and overall a quality release for the XE1 that wasnt the plastic overpriced featureless Fuji official release. Also the Fuji releases have no features, completely barebones.

Ill post a trip report once it gets here. Ships from HK so it could take a few weeks.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Costello Jello posted:

The new Olympus E-P5 has been officially announced now; it looks like it's quite a capable little camera. I'm not sure how well it's going to sell though, since it's the exact same price as the Olympus OM-D EM-5 that has an EVF, and not really significantly smaller.

Now to hope they release focus peaking to the older cameras instead of feature locking it into the new hotness.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

Now to hope they release focus peaking to the older cameras instead of feature locking it into the new hotness.

Would it be a simple firmware update?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Guys my compact system camera has become very un-compact:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Musket posted:

Would it be a simple firmware update?

Probably not, but a guy can dream.

powderific posted:

Guys my compact system camera has become very un-compact:

I have a soligar 75-260 f/4.5 that's going to be dropped off any minute now, so whatup giant silly lens buddy.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

maxmars posted:

Yesterday I have shot an entire theatrical play (eldest daughter's school) with my Nex c3 and the wonderful flash addon gadget I've seen on this thread.
I could operate my setup of remote flashes with the c3, it's been hilarious, best fun I had in a while.

This one? http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Trigger-Adapter-Receiver-Channels/dp/B00CAGPPDO/

This was probably in low light? How was the low light AF performance?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

gently caress yeah.

Full stack is mft to k adapter, vivitar 2x teleconvter, k mount to m42 adapter, Hanimex thing, spiritone varextender thing, then 75-260 lens.

Gives the camera some decent rise/fall to use when composing.

e. The best part is that everything past the k -> m42 adapter came from the auction, inside of a case that was long enough to fit it all. At some point someone used this setup enough to justify getting a case to fit it!

e2. The hanimex thing is just an m42 extension tube with aperture passthrough, and most of the spiratone TC can be pulled apart to use as an aperture passthrough extension tube too. Score.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 10, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

gently caress yeah.

Full stack is mft to k adapter, vivitar 2x teleconvter, k mount to m42 adapter, Hanimex thing, spiritone varextender thing, then 75-260 lens.

Gives the camera some decent rise/fall to use when composing.

e. The best part is that everything past the k -> m42 adapter came from the auction, inside of a case that was long enough to fit it all. At some point someone used this setup enough to justify getting a case to fit it!

e2. The hanimex thing is just an m42 extension tube with aperture passthrough, and most of the spiratone TC can be pulled apart to use as an aperture passthrough extension tube too. Score.

Needs a telecompressor :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

HPL posted:

I wish Olympus would come out with a sleeker non-pivoting add-on EVF. The VF-4 is incredibly fugly.

Same with the Sony. After shooting with the 5N for a while I have come to appreciate a viewfinder and I'll probably upgrade to a NEX-6 at some point, though it's definitely NOT a priority right now. The alternative would be to buy Sony's ugly as sin star trek-esque viewfinder which isn't appealing at all.