Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

This makes me cringe. The belt is tensioned and pulleys are aligned properly by the tapered Axle on the XBs - just wrenching it down all willy-nilly is going to break something. It has a pinch bolt for a reason!

Content: I'm calling it with the fuel tuning on the Ulysses. Unlocked the AFV after my last logging ride and it fell 5 points to 95 after letting it sit in learn mode region for a few miles on the freeway. Runs great. Good enough for me.

I also took it up to Spada Lake on my lunch break this afternoon... Sultan Basin Road is so much deserted-road fun http://goo.gl/maps/RL441

That reminds me, before your trip it might pay off to check the belt tensioner bearing too. It's SKF part SKF6203-2RSH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Today I sat on my bike and made vroom vroom noises, because I still haven't been able to get off work to get temp tags :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

High Protein posted:

That reminds me, before your trip it might pay off to check the belt tensioner bearing too. It's SKF part SKF6203-2RSH.
Useless trivia: Literally the most common bearing in the world up until the 90s when 608s took over (rollerblade bearings)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I did a thing!

Gonna take them for a test ride later today and see how well they dampen vibrations!

But I'm gonna be honest: the only reason I bought them was because I thought the name Classic Black City Pounder was hilarious since I am a child

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
So I had this odd intermittent issue with my 954rr, as I was riding along the whole bike would cut out and start sputtering/stalling like it was running out of electricity, but i'd stop the bike completely and start it up again and it would run fine again.

It happened a few more times so I decided to lift the seat and discovered that the previous owner had wedged a bit of folder paper underneath the positive side battery terminal underneath the nut.... so this produced a bunch of resistance i'm guessing and made enough heat to partially melt the terminal!

I'm guessing he didn't have a pitbull stand to make the bike level as he installed the battery since when it's on its side it makes getting that terminal nut screwed in a little trickier. Oh well I removed the paper wedged in there and re-installed the screw/nut and haven't had a problem riding it all day.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Didn't really sleep as well as I wanted to last night (and going to be out late tomorrow night for my birthday), so decided to stick around home and nap/work on the bike this afternoon.

Finally cleaned/lubed the chain and chainguard (kind of a PITA with no center stand), unbolted the front left turn signal and pounded the bracket back into shape against a wall from where the PO had bent it askew, cleaned the red spray paint off my license plate (no thanks, lovely neighborhood kids) and identified electrical gremlin #1 (loose connection somewhere near the handlebars, stuff's working again now). Still plenty of little stuff to get done, but slightly less embarrassed to hand it over to the shop for a new rear tire later this month.

My right turn signal doesn't flash (just stays solid, unless I manually flick the switch repeatedly...), should try cleaning the connections at the relay out with some contact cleaner?

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

I've owned it for almost a whole week and nothing's fallen off yet, so I helped things along.

(took off the pillion seat and pegs, and put the seat cover on)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally got to ride it back home this past Sunday. I got it out of storage on a beautiful Easter Saturday, and then promptly put it in my parents' neighbours' garage because it started to rain and snow for the next 3 weeks. :v:

Rode it to work for the first time this season yesterday, seems to have a weird noise past 5000 RPM that I didn't notice earlier. IDK.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Finished the drat colour change.

Now just to find some prettier mirrors, somehow clean those downpipes, tidy up the crash bars, spray the exhaust pipe gloss black... oh god it never ends does it?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pulled off the clubman bars (gently caress clubman bars) and put a set of LSL "Superbike Low" bars (superbike bars rule) on it instead. Backstory is that I put on a set of clubmans because "gently caress yeah old school poo poo". I really liked how the bike looked with the clubmans, but after several rides where my legs would cramp up and I had to limp home slowly in general discomfort, I decided to either get rearsets and go all-out sport bike wannabe, or just put a regular set of handlebars back on it. Considering it's a Bandit 600, there was pretty much only one option, go back to regular sensible handlebars.

Unlike the taller-than-stock Tommaselli bars that were on there when I got it, these are somewhat lower and don't make me feel like my upper body is pulled backwards when I accelerate hard. Probably going to stick with the wide look instead of chopping ~2cm off each end like I did with the old bars.

Also, here's a picture of one of my parents' cats, in a Stressless chair:

Only thing that really gets her going these days (she's about 10) are shrimp and chicken. She's absolutely bonkers for chicken. Whenever I'm having dinner at my parents' place, she'll be sitting patiently on a chair while they feed her bits of meat from their forks. She's got better table manners than most people I know.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 4, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Sock Weasel posted:

Finished the drat colour change.

Now just to find some prettier mirrors, somehow clean those downpipes, tidy up the crash bars, spray the exhaust pipe gloss black... oh god it never ends does it?

That looks much better in black than it did in that red. Also, if you're swapping mirrors check your local laws, you might be able to get away with just 1 if that's your thing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Fitted this bad boy:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorbike-High-Power-Compact-Dual/dp/B005IXDAOM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1367704170&sr=8-8&keywords=air+horn

Unfortunately I measured the bracket wrong so it's just sort of wedged in - gonna spend tomorrow finding a better mounting point and tidying up the wiring a bit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Brought her back to life :sun:

Repaired and reset the slipped ignition points and got the bike going again, for the first real ride since the engine popped in February. Runs smoothly, powerfully, starts on the first or second kick, no overheating, no weird noises...just a nicely running bike. I've put about thirty miles on so far; didn't stall once, and the engine idles happily at 1000RPM, which is disconcerting because before the rebuild it idled at about 1300-1400 and when it got near 1000 it meant it was going to stall. I guess that means it's put back together right though! :wooper:

Going to change the oil before I go out again, and give her another 100-150 miles of true breaking in before changing it a third time and going to the regular intervals.

Man was it nice to be back on the road today.

orkil
Apr 9, 2003

I'm not even supposed to be here today!
1980 Honda CB 750 Custom

Replaced the old Energizer battery that was in it with a UAP/Napa AGM Battery. Now it starts right away instead of sometimes starting. Runs a ton better too.

orkil fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 5, 2013

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Fitted this bad boy:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorbike-High-Power-Compact-Dual/dp/B005IXDAOM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1367704170&sr=8-8&keywords=air+horn

Unfortunately I measured the bracket wrong so it's just sort of wedged in - gonna spend tomorrow finding a better mounting point and tidying up the wiring a bit.

Managed to fit it to the old horn mount as anything else would have required either cutting up my radiator mount or leaving it far too vulnerable to the elements. It's still a bit of a lash-up, and I'm going to blag some heat-shrink to tidy up the terminals once i get back to work. Technically it's also now pointing sideways but it's loud enough for this not to be an issue, and people have reported mounting them pointing forwards at the front of the bike can lead to water making it's way up to the reeds and loving up the sound, so I'm happy enough with it.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I zip-tied the Otterbox belt clip I got with my phone case to my bars...Cheapest GPS/phone mount ever!

I'll probably superglue the clippy part and some other stuff designed to move for some reason...It's a little wobbly at the moment, though nothing really noticeable while actually riding.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Previous owner!!! :argh:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Finally cleaned/lubed the chain and chainguard (kind of a PITA with no center stand

Allow me to hand you one of the keys to the universe:

1) Take a suitably sized thingymagig, in my case this is a piece of scrap aluminium pipe that does double duty as a leverage bar in my tool box, it's got an old bit of innertube wrapped around the end dso it doesn't scratch poo poo up:

2) push the bike over on the kickstand so the desired end of the bike lifts up.

3) Wedge thing under biek (in this picture it's the front)

M42 posted:

Previous owner!!! :argh:

That coke looks off.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
We been doing some race bike work lately. Today was race prep day. Last major day of work on the bikes before the opening race of the USCRA 2013 season.

Suspension:

Bodywork:

Paint:

After another road test:

Still having carb leak issues. Hoping new foam floats will fix that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, you can't imagine how happy I am to see this. Thank God.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

AncientTV posted:

:catstare:

Suffice to say, some All Balls have been ordered. Jesus Christ, can you say paranoid rechecking of all chassis bearings.

Holy poo poo on a stick that is scary as hell

Sagebrush posted:

Brought her back to life :sun:
congrats!

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 7, 2013

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Ordered a new key.

Stock USA key on the left, ordered European key on the right.

It's me. I'm the squid :eng99:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

-Inu- posted:

Ordered a new key.

Stock USA key on the left, ordered European key on the right.

It's me. I'm the squid :eng99:

There is nothing wrong with key bling. In fact, it is the best bling.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Attempted to complete the valve job from last week. When I dropped the new shim in the bucket... It wiggled more than it should.

... they sent me 29mm shims. I need 29.5mm shims.

I'm not not exactly pleased.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Continued to shape and sand my fairing and the form for my windscreen. Just fiddling with the transition angles from nose to screen.

Still fine-tuning the slope and side angles, then I can map out how to level out the top/back of the screen. Once the form takes shape, easy-bake oven time.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I was hoping my tire would last a few more days with the slime in it, so I could ride it to the shop and not have to deal with taking the muffler off again to get it on the lift to remove the wheels myself.

Turns out my hopes were a little ambitious.

I do get a free racing stripe out of the deal though.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
No offense buddy but I think Rev's racing stripe is cooler.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

I was hoping my tire would last a few more days with the slime in it, so I could ride it to the shop and not have to deal with taking the muffler off again to get it on the lift to remove the wheels myself.

Do you do the whole song & dance of replacing the front/pipe clamps after removing the muffler?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
No, I've reused the same pipe clamp every time. It sucks now, never manages to seal it right but that's nothing a little strategically-jammed aluminum foil won't fix. It's a bummer you can't jack on the Jardine.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
The front clamps (that holds the pipe to the engine) are pretty expensive here (EBR sells them for an alright price though) and I wouldn't be inclined to replace it either, but I've read this account of a guy's front clamp breaking and the bike being pogo'd off the exhaust :stonk:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I guess it helps that the Uly has long suspension travel, in that case.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The Jardine has an elbow pipe between the header and the muffler, which is bolted to the engine case right by the oil filter. If the pipe clamp from the header to the elbow came undone, it's not going anywhere. The elbow bolt would need to come off for something crazy to happen.

In any case, the Jardine is built like a can of Busch Light. I bet it would simply disintegrate if it fell off.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

Unlike the taller-than-stock Tommaselli bars that were on there when I got it, these are somewhat lower and don't make me feel like my upper body is pulled backwards when I accelerate hard.

But that's the best part about riding a Bandit?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

But that's the best part about riding a Bandit?

Does it matter on a B6? :v:

What really aggravated me about the old handlebars was that if I wanted to lean forward into the wind, my arms would be completely bent and pulled up to my chest. I wanted something a bit more non-retarded.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

You deserve that stripe for trying to slime a shop.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've heard lots of poo poo about slime from mechanics, but I slimed my own tire once, replaced it like a year later, and it was no big deal at all. Just a bit of crap on the rim. There's always crap on rims.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

replaced it like a year later,
Yours had time to dry. Most of the time I get a tire full of 2-3 cans of freshly pumped green or white poo poo that takes me an hour to clean up.
Also it ruins clothes, so in addition to wasting an hour of my time it's also ruined a pair of my work pants.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You deserve that stripe for trying to slime a shop.

It got me home, there can't be much left in there, and I warned the guy at the shop that it was slimed.

Stripe comes off with a hose, it washes up with water.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

It got me home, there can't be much left in there, and I warned the guy at the shop that it was slimed.

Stripe comes off with a hose, it washes up with water.

That's entirely different. If I know it's coming, it's fine. But if the customer doesn't tell me, then it's an extra $15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I sold my 1979 GS425. Made some money on it too. I listed my WR250 for sale as well.