Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
When I saw Epirus in that trailer I was hoping they'd show off some war elephants. They haven't been seen yet at all have they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

Trujillo posted:

When I saw Epirus in that trailer I was hoping they'd show off some war elephants. They haven't been seen yet at all have they?

They showed some in the Carthage battle - the first trailer.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Tomn posted:

Depending on the size of the map, Rome COULD technically be balanced by the fact that they've got few similar-culture allies - it might be possible that attacking one random Gallic tribe could escalate quickly into all the Gauls declaring war on an encroaching Roman force, for instance. Some sort of "unite to defend our cultural brethren from outside interference!" system, with presumably some modifiers in place so that co-opting local allies to overcome that is possible.

Julius Caesar invited neighboring tribes to help his legions eradicate the Eburones. I will be quiet dismayed if I can't invite random Gallic tribes to "unite to eradicate the chucklefuck's who are responsible for these pesky romans all up on us".

Carolus
Dec 21, 2009

Azran posted:

Oh wow, $60. :stare: I thought Shogun 2 had been cheaper when it released?

VVV Heh, alright then. When I first noticed it had been released, it was $30, hence my confusion. And yeah, I'll still wait for goon reviews just in case, even though I know it will end up being a Great Game.

60$ isnt expensive, not if you think of the dollar and its low value. 60$ is in Sweden 390-ish Kr, physical stores here can take 399-599Kr for new PC games. So stop complaining :) Or just buy from a cheap key site.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
60 bucks is expensive no matter which way you put it but it's silly to be surprised about the price. In theory the game will be worth the money.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
$60 is a rip-off for one of those games that you beat in 4 hours and never want to play again, but the number of hours you can put into Total War campaigns is so huge that it probably averages out to one of the cheaper forms of paid entertainment.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
It's important to remember that in Australia it's likely to be $100 AUD which is around $105USD. God bless region based pricing.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

shalcar posted:

It's important to remember that in Australia it's likely to be $100 AUD which is around $105USD. God bless region based pricing.

God drat, I was about to be annoyed that it'll be a flat 60 €/pounds in europe regardless of the exchange rate but that's just ridiculous. Can Aussies at least get the cheaper price in Steam by buying it via a proxy or something? I get that prices will increase over time (poo poo, when I got into gaming new AAA titles were generally like 35-40€), but differences like these in the time of digital distribution are bonkers.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Perestroika posted:

God drat, I was about to be annoyed that it'll be a flat 60 €/pounds in europe regardless of the exchange rate but that's just ridiculous. Can Aussies at least get the cheaper price in Steam by buying it via a proxy or something? I get that prices will increase over time (poo poo, when I got into gaming new AAA titles were generally like 35-40€), but differences like these in the time of digital distribution are bonkers.

Using proxies to pay cheaper prices on Steam gets your account banned. Most Australians instead buy from game sites like GreenManGaming, as the keys are treated as gifts by Steam, but you pay the cheaper European prices.

e: Just checked our local prices, it's $88 AUD, which works out to $92 USD.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Jesus, I would never pay 100 dollars for a video game, that's insane.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

SHISHKABOB posted:

Check out the publisher "Matrix Games." Almost all their new titles are $80+ despite looking more like spreadsheets than games.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Tomn posted:

Check out the publisher "Matrix Games." Almost all their new titles are $80+ despite looking more like spreadsheets than games.

Thats the monograph problem though, they have a much smaller audience so to break even they have to charge higher individual prices. High prices for mainstream games in Australia is just gouging.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Games in Australia used to cost $100 when the exchange was 1AUD to 0.50USD. At least with digital distribution, its now easier to bypass regional based markups.

Why do I need to wait half a year for this game to come out? :sigh:

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

madmac posted:

The Culture Pack adds the diplomatic Athens Greek states, the smart Epirus and Sparta formidable as playable factions. Each offers a variety of special tactical skills to achieve victories cultural and arts, and special units lethal crush enemies in battle. The states Greeks share a number of common objectives, philosophies and diplomatic aid. However, they are characterized by their fierce independence and between them show a huge variety of approaches to the challenges of civilian and military which often leads them to be in conflict with each other and the rest of the world. "

Epirus, yes please! Can't wait to march my elephants right through the gates of Rome and so not get killed by some old lady throwing roof tiles at me.

The Spartan soldier in the DLC video is using a Corinthian helmet. Is that historically accurate for the game's time frame or just thrown there to get all the fans of 300 excited? :spergin:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm going to play as Epirus and win every battle... then sail home with my tail tucked between my legs :smith:

SHISHKABOB posted:

Look, the developers need to recoup the cost of all that coal used to ship digital copies of games across the vast seas :colbert:

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I wonder what the start date will be since if the game starts when Pyrrhus is in Italy I know who my first target as Macedon will be.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Frungy! posted:

The Spartan soldier in the DLC video is using a Corinthian helmet. Is that historically accurate for the game's time frame or just thrown there to get all the fans of 300 excited? :spergin:

Its not historically accurate for the time, but the guy was wearing the sideways horsehair plume which marks him as an officer, not a common soldier.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Rabhadh posted:

Its not historically accurate for the time, but the guy was wearing the sideways horsehair plume which marks him as an officer, not a common soldier.
I think the other screenshots showed macedonians who were properly attired. I hope to god they do not repeat Rome's treatment of the Greeks and have them all be wearing Corinthian helmets and dressed as hoplites. Certainly seems like they are doign a better job this time around, but I am still wary.

On another note, I did the Shogun 2 tutorial battles last night and why the hell is the advanced one such a pain in the rear end? After googling it and seeing i'm supposed to do some jerk move with ninjas I just quit and moved on to the campiagn.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Hahaha. CA always goes all out with the collectors edition.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_ROME_II_Collector%27s_Edition

That looks completely badass, but on the other, hand, $154 geez. The Catapult though...

The official announcement is here:

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthre...e842839838cef9f

Sept 3 release date, all pre-orders get the same bonus, which will be available for purchase day one if you don't pre-order, and everyone gets Pontus as a day one download.

Some additional information on the Greek Culture pack units:

quote:

New Units:
In addition to the intimidating unit rosters of each faction now playable for the first time, the Greek States Culture Pack introduces a variety of unique and especially elite and deadly forces.
Mercenary Veteran Hoplites – [available to all playable factions]
From glistening spear points to earth-shaking tread, a phalanx is a sight and sound to inspire dread. With these veteran hoplites, that dread is sold to the highest bidder.
Thureos Hoplites – [Unique to Athens]
While the linen breastplates worn by these men may look flimsy, they are cool, practical and surprisingly tough. As with all hoplites, the men inside are also practical and tough warriors.
Thorax Hoplites – [Unique to Athens]
These heavy hoplites are marked by their bronze breastplate armour, a sign of wealth and status. They are armed with spears and hoplon shields, and use the phalanx formation to batter enemies into submission.
Agrianian Axemen – [Unique to Epirus and Macedon]
The Paeonian tribe of Agrianes are fierce fighters. As well as terrible killing tools, their axes are also climbing hooks for rough terrain. No sensible general would not use them in an assault.
Aspis Companion Cavalry – [Unique to Epirus and Macedon]
A king’s companions in battle are his nobles and esteemed friends. It is an honour to be a companion, to ride forth with javelin and kopis to fight for your lord and master.
Heroes of Sparta – [Unique to Sparta]
Embodying the spirit of Thermopylae, the Heroes Of Sparta bear their spears and shields with fierce pride and unrivalled mastery.
Polybolos Repeating Scorpion – [Siege Deployable available to all Greek, Roman and Carthaginian factions]
Able to make short work of even the most heavily-armoured opponents, this repeating bolt thrower sacrifices the ordinary Scorpion’s range in return for a rapid rate of fire.
Tortoise Armoured Battering Ram – [Siege Deployable available to all Greek, Roman and Carthaginian factions]
Combining devastating ramming power while affording protection to its crew, used well the Tortoise more than makes up for its lack of speed and manoeuvrability in open ground.

Interesting. Some of these units are available to factions in the main game. Also, mercenaries confirmed back in.

If you break it down:

Everyone gets: Hoplite Mercs

All Greek/Roman/Carthage: Repeating Scorp and Tortoise Ram.

Athens only: 2 Hoplite varients? One lighter and one heavier, sounds like.

Macedon/Epirus: Cool assault axemen, Companion Cavalry.

Sparta Only: Heroes of Sparta. Sparta gets screwed, but hey, hero units! They probably have the best phalanx troops though so it balances out.

Well, I'm sure there are other unit (and tech tree) differences between the four Greek states, this is just highlighting the cooler sounding ones.

madmac fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 9, 2013

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So do you have to preorder to get the Companion cavalry for Macedon?

BTW here is the steam page for the DLC which details the unique buildings as well http://store.steampowered.com/app/212301/?snr=1_7_15__13 .

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 9, 2013

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

System Reqs 30GB :stare:

SHISHKABOB posted:

Sega's also charging 100 dollars for COH2 and the skimpiest digital CE I have ever seen. At least there is some legit spergy stuff included here; that Onager is baller :colbert:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
30 Gigabytes? Jesus.

How much space would all the Total War games including Rome 2 would take on a HD now?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
You're looking at a good 120-150gb I reckon. Even Medieval 2 is 10gb.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

30 Gigabytes? Jesus.

How much space would all the Total War games including Rome 2 would take on a HD now?

Shogun 2 and Napoleon are 10gb each. It's not surprising that with a new engine there's another jump in the space requirements.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Also, the steam requirements are twice the actual gamesize iirc, it downloads the compressed files and unpacks/installs them, then deletes the install files. So it temporarily needs twice the hard drive space or so, I reckon the final installed version is about 20 GB without DLC/mods, if I recall correctly.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It is a good thing I grabbed the biggest HD I could afford with this new PC yet.

Also, 57 provinces huh?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, 57 provinces huh?

57 provinces with 183 regions to control.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

57 provinces with 183 regions to control.

Not bad at all really. Looking forward to Rome 2 now. I think we all want to know one thing really now.

Is the AI decent to fight against?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Alchenar posted:

Shogun 2 and Napoleon are 10gb each. It's not surprising that with a new engine there's another jump in the space requirements.

I thought Rome 2 was using Shogun 2's engine?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I have faith in CA after Shogun 2 and even if the AI is lovely I will probably get it just for the multiplayer.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Bullshit, no way in Canada to get that crazy physical collectors' edition? SEEEEEEEGA :argh:

Maybe I should just put that money into upgrading my PC for this instead.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
They really couldn't toss in some kind of season pass equivalent for the collector's edition? Hell if I'm paying $154 for the games and some toys I don't want to be charged for DLC later!

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Rabhadh posted:

The Spartans were famously conservative and reactionary, so it's not as unreasonable as New Kingdom Egyptians. Maybe a dude with a family heirloom he wanted to bring to the party.

So far everything is sounding great. I'm very happy that Epirus is in :)

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Thats basically what I was implying by saying hes probably and officer. It all looks great so far though, hope you have to deal with helot revolts as Sparta.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I really want this game, but I'd probably have to get a dedicated gaming rig since my laptop can really only handle Shogun 2 on low settings as it is. Medieval 2 runs great though, which is still one of my favorites because of all the mods.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Rabhadh posted:

Thats basically what I was implying by saying hes probably and officer. It all looks great so far though, hope you have to deal with helot revolts as Sparta.

I am bored at work so I am reading and posting on TWC since I hate myself. The Corinthian helmets are going to worn by one Spartan unit, the rest will use more accurate helmets to the time period. They are thowing the casual fan a bone by letting them recruit some badass looking dudes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I wouldn't worry, the first mod to roll off the line will be the EXTREME REALISM one like always and that will be fixed since it is a minor detail.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

drat, I know for a fact that I can't run the game but that Collector's Edition is god damned sexy.
A little upset that it doesn't come with the OST though, although I don't care that much any more since it's not Jeff van Dyck

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

I wouldn't worry, the first mod to roll off the line will be the EXTREME REALISM one like always and that will be fixed since it is a minor detail.

Adding 5gb to the total file size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Is it ok to play Rise of the Samurai before vanilla? I kinda want to play this in chronological order.