Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I am going to DC next weekend. The 16th til the 20th. I already plan on going to DC Brau. I am staying with a cousin who lives near Dupont Circle. I have been to DC tons of times, but haven't been there recently and never got to do anything beer related other than a few drinks at the DC Chophouse and the Brick Skeller. Any good bottle shops near Dupont, in Georgetown, or anywhere that's easily accessible by Metro? Any goons want to in person trade for some CCB or growlers of Tequesta Brewing or Due South? A word of caution: there is a Jai Alai shortage right now. I am hoping I can get some before I go up, but it may not happen as its been off the shelves everywhere for three weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Deschutes and GLBC are also collaborating on something for the Class of 88 theme, cause that's also the year GLBC was founded. I believe they're making an Imperial Smoked Porter, I'm guessing it will be pretty good, considering the two breweries collaborating on that style of beer.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

funkybottoms posted:

yeah, it's a bit too peppery, and i'm a dude that really likes black pepper. a good beer at first, but the aftertaste is a bit much.

Yeah, after finishing it I'm not sure I'd ever buy it again just because it was so drat peppery. That said, I'm glad I tried it.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

swickles posted:

I am going to DC next weekend. The 16th til the 20th. I already plan on going to DC Brau. I am staying with a cousin who lives near Dupont Circle. I have been to DC tons of times, but haven't been there recently and never got to do anything beer related other than a few drinks at the DC Chophouse and the Brick Skeller. Any good bottle shops near Dupont, in Georgetown, or anywhere that's easily accessible by Metro? Any goons want to in person trade for some CCB or growlers of Tequesta Brewing or Due South? A word of caution: there is a Jai Alai shortage right now. I am hoping I can get some before I go up, but it may not happen as its been off the shelves everywhere for three weeks.

Best nearby choices are Whole Foods on P St and Connecticut Avenue Wine (word of caution on prices there, they do get some ridiculous stuff though).

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Kudosx posted:

Deschutes and GLBC are also collaborating on something for the Class of 88 theme, cause that's also the year GLBC was founded. I believe they're making an Imperial Smoked Porter, I'm guessing it will be pretty good, considering the two breweries collaborating on that style of beer.

Yeah, I posted a link on the last page if you want more details.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

wildfire1 posted:

I'm curious - where do you rate the normal Boon Gueuze on there? It's the only one I can easily get, I like it a lot but I wonder if I'm missing out.

Haven't had it. Will probably pick it up on my next beer run.

GigaFool posted:

I really like the Lindeman's Cuvee Rene Gueuze. It's nothing like their fruity versions in terms of sweetness. Pretty good value too.

I agree. Forgot to add it to my list - I actually like it better than the St. Louis gueuze.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I went to the One Mile House barrel-aged event in NYC that I linked a few days ago, and it was totally worth it. In order to get KBS, you had to buy a ticket in advance before they tapped the keg at 8:00, and you could only buy a maximum of two. I bought one ticket I also had Goose Island Bourbon County Coffee Stout and Firestone Walker Parabola. I'd rank KBS first, Goose Island second, and Parabola third. I also found out that there is a beer store in the city that smuggles Bell's beers, but I forgot the name.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Has anyone here tried any of the Abstrakt beers the Brewdog guys are playing with these days? I just ordered a few of the AB:13 (a cherry Imperial Stout aged in sherry barrels) but they're almost a tenner a pop here in the UK, which is relatively unheard of. Some of the others just sound amazing though: "Belgian Imperial Stout aged on toasted coconut and cacao" or "Black Barley Wine with Ginger, Black Raspberries and Chipotle Peppers". Drool.

I also chucked a couple of Mikkler "I Hardcore You" into the mix and some Brewdog Cocoa Psycho so looking forward to a slightly pickled weekend.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Has anyone here tried any of the Abstrakt beers the Brewdog guys are playing with these days? I just ordered a few of the AB:13 (a cherry Imperial Stout aged in sherry barrels) but they're almost a tenner a pop here in the UK, which is relatively unheard of. Some of the others just sound amazing though: "Belgian Imperial Stout aged on toasted coconut and cacao" or "Black Barley Wine with Ginger, Black Raspberries and Chipotle Peppers". Drool.

I also chucked a couple of Mikkler "I Hardcore You" into the mix and some Brewdog Cocoa Psycho so looking forward to a slightly pickled weekend.

oh, man- are any of them pumpkin beers?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

oh, man- are any of them pumpkin beers?

Yes. And it's 64% ABV. And $210 per 330 ml bottle.

They just put some rubbing alcohol in a blender with some pumpkin.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

Yes. And it's 64% ABV. And $210 per 330 ml bottle.

They just put some rubbing alcohol in a blender with some pumpkin.

they should do a DFH collaboration where they package them in containers made of extinct or endangered animals endemic to where the various ingredients originated!

(Loonytoad, we're not making fun of you, but rather BrewDog's ridiculous marketing/EXTREME image)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

(Loonytoad, we're not making fun of you, but rather BrewDog's ridiculous marketing/EXTREME image)

Correct. In all seriousness, there's a handful of breweries that- were they to announce those exact beers- I would probably murder someone to try. There's even more breweries that- were I to see their versions of those on the shelves- I would buy.

Unfortunately, Brewdog isn't in either of those groups.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

they should do a DFH collaboration where they package them in containers made of extinct or endangered animals endemic to where the various ingredients originated!

It's OK, I'm British, I'm pretty thick-skinned.

I completely understand where all the BrewDog hate comes from but British brewing needs a kick up the arse to get some sort of non-real ale craft beer scene moving and BrewDog are doing a pretty good job of that. I mean we've got breweries coming out of the wazoo here but there aren't many doing very exciting things, just hundreds and hundreds of incredibly competent, perfectly well-brewed, but otherwise unremarkable beers (I'm generalising, we get great beer here but it's all of a type). A few centuries of uninterrupted brewing will do that to a country I guess.

BrewDog have brought awareness (to the UK at least) that you can do stupid, wacky things and push the envelope when it comes to beer. Yeah they grate, but on the other hand they're wholesaling Mikkeller's stuff these days, so they can't be all bad.

e:
Since you've all been mean to me maybe you can help me out, I host a quarterly beer club with a few friends and my chosen theme this time round is going to be American Craft Beers. As a stupid person who doesn't find BrewDog beer utterly repellent, can you suggest a round of 8 different beers that would be both an introduction to all that is US craft brewing, as well as showcasing the best of what you have to offer. Any styles are fine, but it would be nice to do the full range from a light hoppy IPA to the chewiest imperial stout. I don't ask much, I know.

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 9, 2013

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Loonytoad Quack posted:

It's OK, I'm British, I'm pretty thick-skinned.

e: Since you've all been mean to me maybe you can help me out, I host a quarterly beer club with a few friends and my chosen theme this time round is going to be American Craft Beers. As a stupid person who doesn't find BrewDog beer utterly repellent, can you suggest a round of 8 different beers that would be both an introduction to all that is US craft brewing, as well as showcasing the best of what you have to offer.

depends on which football team you support. mate.

also, what can you get? got a website for a local shop with an inventory or something?

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

funkybottoms posted:

depends on which football team you support. mate.

also, what can you get? got a website for a local shop with an inventory or something?

I will make an effort to find things if I think they're worth sourcing but the best place for US craft beers here is this place:

http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/usa

Followed up by a much smaller selection here:

http://www.craftbeerstore.co.uk/

So that's probably a good starting point for things I can get easily. If there are things I should seek out at all costs though, I will do my best to find them.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I will make an effort to find things if I think they're worth sourcing but the best place for US craft beers here is this place:

So that's probably a good starting point for things I can get easily. If there are things I should seek out at all costs though, I will do my best to find them.

Given that Americans are known more for super hop forward styles, I wouldn't buy any of those online as I can bet you're going to get ancient product. Instead, try some of The Kernel's pale ales/IPAs which are definitely the clean American style, done well, and most importantly, probably going to be on the fresh side.

I glanced through the beersofeurope site and while a huge chunk of the good stuff was out of stock, get Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. Don't let the 7 quid price tag put you off - it is one of the best beers made in the USA.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

If you want american style hop-forward beers try to arrange a trade with someone who can provide them fresh. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who are willing to trade with someone overseas for things they couldn't normally get.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

Uuudar posted:

Ballast Point now available in Chicago. Binny's has a ton. Yay.

Seconding this. Just picked up a Victory at Sea and Sculpin from Binny's River North. They also had Seadog, a red ale (imperial?) and one other type.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

HatfulOfHollow posted:

If you want american style hop-forward beers try to arrange a trade with someone who can provide them fresh. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who are willing to trade with someone overseas for things they couldn't normally get.

Yeah I have access to the full range of BrewDog beers at reasonable prices, just get in touch. :v:

But seriously I think that might be a decent plan but I could still do with an idea of what I need to be swapping for. I do have access to Old Chimneys Brewery for anyone who's after their Good King Henry Stout, although I only get there a couple times a year.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Loonytoad Quack posted:

8 beers, if I was doing a tasting and based on what was in stock on those websites:
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Westbrook White Thai
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Bear Republic Racer 5
Ommegang Hennepin
Green Flash Rayon Vert
Anchor Old Foghorn
Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

That's a pretty good cross-section of American styles or American takes on international styles. I might replace the Ommegang or Green Flash with a porter if there was a good one available, but looked like most of them were out of stock. Flying Dog Gonzo is ok. Too bad the Maui Coconut Porter is out of stock, as is the Sierra Nevada Porter and the Stone Smoked Porter.

Hoppin' Frog's BORIS the Crusher is an option too, as an oatmeal stout it's quite a bit different from GI's Bourbon County Stout.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Retemnav posted:

8 beers, if I was doing a tasting and based on what was in stock on those websites:
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Westbrook White Thai
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Bear Republic Racer 5
Ommegang Hennepin
Green Flash Rayon Vert
Anchor Old Foghorn

That's a pretty good cross-section of American styles or American takes on international styles. I might replace the Ommegang or Green Flash with a porter if there was a good one available, but looked like most of them were out of stock. Flying Dog Gonzo is ok. Too bad the Maui Coconut Porter is out of stock, as is the Sierra Nevada Porter and the Stone Smoked Porter.

Hoppin' Frog's BORIS the Crusher is an option too, as an oatmeal stout it's quite a bit different from GI's Bourbon County Stout.

Stone IRS. Even at that price, it's still the best non-Bourbon County stout listed.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Retemnav posted:

Sam Adams Boston Lager

Whyyyyyy? I would go with almost any other lager or amber to represent American baseline without being boring like Boston Lager.

You could get Goose Island Honkers Ale, Odell 90 Shilling (so it's partially a wheat, whatever), Brooklyn Lager, or a few others on there and have a much better experience.

The rest of the list is actually pretty great, though!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
What do people here think of New Glarus's Raspberry Tart? I tried it for the first time last night and had high hopes as both the gf and I love raspberries, not to mention I tend to like New Glarus as a brewery.

We...did not like it at all.

It was a weird semi-sweet/tart raspberry flavor up front and then almost like tootsie roll flavored finish. Really our best analogy is that it tasted like tootsie roll pops. I actually recapped it to try again tonight when I haven't had anything else to drink but I'm not expecting to change my mind.

Made me kinda sad :( haha

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

Retemnav posted:

Sam Adams Boston Lager
Westbrook White Thai
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Bear Republic Racer 5
Ommegang Hennepin
Green Flash Rayon Vert
Anchor Old Foghorn

Awesome thank you, don't worry about what's in stock, I have a good while before it's my time to host so what's available now won't necessarily be what's available then.

So out of that list we've already had a few of those (or have tried beers from the same brewery), I had a UK vs US theme a while back and tried to pair equivalent beers (we do blind tasting) and paired up as follows:
  • Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout vs Sierra Nevada Stout
  • Fuller's London Porter vs Anchor Porter
  • Rutland Panther (Mild) vs Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar (couldn't find a mild equivalent so this is what we went with)
  • Meantime India Pale Ale vs Stone IPA
In every case (with the exception of the mild which was really comparing apples and oranges), the UK beer won every pairing by a significant amount. Here's the chart from my spreadsheet because yes I keep a spreadsheet for beer club:

The Sierra Nevada Stout went down particularly badly because it just tastes really weird next to a UK stout. Hopefully if we take away the UK/US comparison the beers will be able to stand on their own a bit more and be appreciated for what they are, rather than how they taste different to what we're used to, but I have to say I'm a bit daunted by the task of picking out beers when I have no real reference point. I think I need to start some heavy "reasearch" ahead of time.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Awesome thank you, don't worry about what's in stock, I have a good while before it's my time to host so what's available now won't necessarily be what's available then.

So out of that list we've already had a few of those (or have tried beers from the same brewery), I had a UK vs US theme a while back and tried to pair equivalent beers (we do blind tasting) and paired up as follows:
  • Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout vs Sierra Nevada Stout
  • Fuller's London Porter vs Anchor Porter
  • Rutland Panther (Mild) vs Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar (couldn't find a mild equivalent so this is what we went with)
  • Meantime India Pale Ale vs Stone IPA
In every case (with the exception of the mild which was really comparing apples and oranges), the UK beer won every pairing by a significant amount. Here's the chart from my spreadsheet because yes I keep a spreadsheet for beer club:

The Sierra Nevada Stout went down particularly badly because it just tastes really weird next to a UK stout. Hopefully if we take away the UK/US comparison the beers will be able to stand on their own a bit more and be appreciated for what they are, rather than how they taste different to what we're used to, but I have to say I'm a bit daunted by the task of picking out beers when I have no real reference point. I think I need to start some heavy "reasearch" ahead of time.

I'd drink Fullers Porter over Anchor Porter any day of the week. The Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout vs the Sierra Nevada Stout is a slight mismatch as there is a distinct difference between oatmeal stouts and regular stouts. It'd be like comparing Guinness and SSOS which isn't really a head on match either. What I do find surprising is that you guys rated Stone IPA so low. To me it's a really drat good IPA. I haven't tried anything from Meantime but I have had a reasonable amount of English IPAs so I find that result surprising.

Would be pretty interesting to run that same experiment Stateside and see how our numbers matched up.

e: I guess what I feel is strong about American craft beer is the experimentation. You Brits have been brewing the standard styles for centuries and so it's not surprising that you guys are lager, stout, porter, IPA and etc experts. American craft beer really shines in my mind in the IIPAs, imperial stouts, barrel aged beers, innovative barleywines/abbey style/strong ales and saisons, and of course experiments with sour beers. Plus when people start to mess around with the traditional styles like Oskar Blues with Dale's or Old Chub (hopped-up Pale and Scotch ales respectively) or black IPAs or smoked porters, that's another point where I think American craft leads the way.

Eejit fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 9, 2013

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

What do people here think of New Glarus's Raspberry Tart?

I think it's the weakest of their fruit beers, but that's like saying Double DBA is the weakest of FW's barrel-aged beers: it's still better than 90% of what's on the market.

So yeah, I like it quite a bit but given a choice, it's Serendipity, Apple Ale, or Wisconsin Belgian Red (when they can make it) over it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Eejit posted:

I'd drink Fullers Porter over Anchor Porter any day of the week.

Correct. Fullers is one of the best on the planet; Anchor's is... meh.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

danbanana posted:

Correct. Fullers is one of the best on the planet; Anchor's is... meh.

As much as maybe half or more of my beer purchases are stuff I haven't tried, but every now and then I still grab a Fullers sampler. I still have yet to find an ESB that comes close to Fullers ESB and really there's nothing ever wrong with having London Pride in the fridge. And then Fullers Porter. drat, now I might need to go get some.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I'd like to see Fullers up against Edmund Fitzgerald or Eugene. I imagine it would be a lot closer.

Oh, and Fuller's porter is awesome.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

I'd like to see Fullers up against Edmund Fitzgerald or Eugene. I imagine it would be a lot closer.

Those are the only two I'd take over Fullers. Which means I rarely buy Fullers unless I find myself in a lovely "English" pub.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

Eejit posted:

I'd drink Fullers Porter over Anchor Porter any day of the week. The Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout vs the Sierra Nevada Stout is a slight mismatch as there is a distinct difference between oatmeal stouts and regular stouts. It'd be like comparing Guinness and SSOS which isn't really a head on match either. What I do find surprising is that you guys rated Stone IPA so low. To me it's a really drat good IPA. I haven't tried anything from Meantime but I have had a reasonable amount of English IPAs so I find that result surprising.

Would be pretty interesting to run that same experiment Stateside and see how our numbers matched up.

e: I guess what I feel is strong about American craft beer is the experimentation. You Brits have been brewing the standard styles for centuries and so it's not surprising that you guys are lager, stout, porter, IPA and etc experts. American craft beer really shines in my mind in the IIPAs, imperial stouts, barrel aged beers, innovative barleywines/abbey style/strong ales and saisons, and of course experiments with sour beers. Plus when people start to mess around with the traditional styles like Oskar Blues with Dale's or Old Chub (hopped-up Pale and Scotch ales respectively) or black IPAs or smoked porters, that's another point where I think American craft leads the way.

I'm with you, I like things to push the boundaries of what can even be considered drinkable if it's furthering the art, but the group is made up of three of us who are of that frame of mind, and another three who are much "safer" with their drinking. The results above are from a couple of years ago and each club we try to get more adventurous so maybe the results would be different now. The Stone also suffered by being last in a range of 8 beers, and we don't skimp on serving size.

Having said all of that, I did throw in a Ruination IPA in the last tasting I did back in March and it did equally badly (actually worse than the Stone, ending up at 2.8 overall) and I know that's also well loved. The comments in both cases basically boiled down to "HOPS, HOLY poo poo HOPS" and "this beer is trying too hard it needs to calm down". The American-only theme will certainly be interesting anyway.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Most everything loses out to Edmund Fitzgerald. That is a drat delicious beer.

Someone just send Looneytoad a Great Lakes variety pack...

Dortmunder Gold
Edmund Fitzgerald
Alchemy Hour
Rye of the Tiger

All of those beers stand up extremely well.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

danbanana posted:

Stone IRS. Even at that price, it's still the best non-Bourbon County stout listed.

It was listed as out of stock, but this is true if you can get it.

Eejit posted:

Whyyyyyy? I would go with almost any other lager or amber to represent American baseline without being boring like Boston Lager.

You could get Goose Island Honkers Ale, Odell 90 Shilling (so it's partially a wheat, whatever), Brooklyn Lager, or a few others on there and have a much better experience.

Eh, it's like THE American craft beer lager. I almost put Brooklyn, but I don't think it is as distinctively American. Honker's and 90 Shilling aren't lagers, and I was trying to get at least one lager on the list.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Having said all of that, I did throw in a Ruination IPA in the last tasting I did back in March and it did equally badly (actually worse than the Stone, ending up at 2.8 overall) and I know that's also well loved. The comments in both cases basically boiled down to "HOPS, HOLY poo poo HOPS" and "this beer is trying too hard it needs to calm down". The American-only theme will certainly be interesting anyway.

Sounds like someone hates freedom.

I can understand Ruination being grating but Stone IPA is pretty agreeable by any measurement.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Eejit posted:

Um, 90 Shilling is a scottish ale.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

danbanana posted:

I think it's the weakest of their fruit beers, but that's like saying Double DBA is the weakest of FW's barrel-aged beers: it's still better than 90% of what's on the market.

So yeah, I like it quite a bit but given a choice, it's Serendipity, Apple Ale, or Wisconsin Belgian Red (when they can make it) over it.

Ha, I always thought Belgian Red was the weakest of them. Serendipity is really loving good though, not that I expected any less, but... still.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

I Dont Like You posted:

Ha, I always thought Belgian Red was the weakest of them.

Sounds like someone hates freedom.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ChiTownEddie posted:

What do people here think of New Glarus's Raspberry Tart? I tried it for the first time last night and had high hopes as both the gf and I love raspberries, not to mention I tend to like New Glarus as a brewery.

We...did not like it at all.

I liked it a hell of a lot better than Serendipity. I thought that Serendipity tasted like carbonated cheap apple juice. My favorite beers that New Glarus does are Moon Man Pale Ale, Black Top Black IPA, and Dancing Man Wheat. Fat Squirrel is also a really solid brown ale.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

The best thing I've had from New Glarus is a toss up between Enigma and Serendipity. Black Top and Dancing Man are solid too. I hope the Berliner Weiss that I'm going to pick up on Saturday lives up to the hype it's been garnering on BA...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Mother's Brewing Company, a little brewery in Springfield, MO has been putting out some really solid beers the last couple of years. Their Morning Grind Coffee Stout and poorly named MILF Imperial Stout were exceptional, and their run of the mill IPA is very drinkable. Now they're Citra hopping the hell out of a DIPA, which should hit stores soon.

I'll be picking this one up. Might be a nice and cheap Ruination stand in.