Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blk posted:

I'm not that familiar with modern Volvo's - where does 110k fall in the lifespan, and what tends to become trouble around then?

These things really seem to have held their value.

My friend has a V60R of this generation, and it is completely unreliable. It has had AT issues (admittedly not a problem witha stick), raditor replaced, diff issues, hilariously expensive shocks (book they are almost $1000/corner, but you can do quite a bit cheaper), etc.
I think it is about 100k mi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Just picked up a 2013 Focus ST. I feel it's an appropriate color. I'll take a photo of it next to my other yellow wagon/hatch (2003 wrx sportwagon in sonic yellow) one of these days...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I love that colour for the ST :allears:

The blacked out grilles on those looks fantastic too. I'd love to go testdrive one but I wonder if they even have any to testdrive? Were you on a waitlist for yours?

Awesome car, congrats!

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Amandyke posted:

Just picked up a 2013 Focus ST. I feel it's an appropriate color. I'll take a photo of it next to my other yellow wagon/hatch (2003 wrx sportwagon in sonic yellow) one of these days...

Nice car, but that is definitely not a wagon.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Would a B-Body Wagon like an LT1 Caprice Classic or Buick Roadmaster be heavy-duty enough to serve as a tow vehicle for a race miata? I really would rather not own a truck.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Would a B-Body Wagon like an LT1 Caprice Classic or Buick Roadmaster be heavy-duty enough to serve as a tow vehicle for a race miata? I really would rather not own a truck.

Absolutely, someone always shows up to my local autocross events with an LT1 roadmaster towing a Porsche 944 on a trailer. It's a body-on-frame RWD beast with a V8 - even better at towing than a lot of trucks.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

nm posted:

My friend has a V60R of this generation, and it is completely unreliable. It has had AT issues (admittedly not a problem witha stick), raditor replaced, diff issues, hilariously expensive shocks (book they are almost $1000/corner, but you can do quite a bit cheaper), etc.
The radiator thing is very common, the end caps on the stock unit are plastic and after so many miles will crack and leak. Only fix is a replacement, some people go with a fully-aluminum unit but most just replace with the OEM one. The shocks are very expensive but you can usually find a coupon, sometimes the buy-3-get-one deals work on these too. A few other cars used the same shocks so they aren't totally unicorns but still rare and expensive.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

priznat posted:

I love that colour for the ST :allears:

The blacked out grilles on those looks fantastic too. I'd love to go testdrive one but I wonder if they even have any to testdrive? Were you on a waitlist for yours?

Awesome car, congrats!

Bought it off the lot, test drove 2 others at the same dealer.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Amandyke posted:

Bought it off the lot, test drove 2 others at the same dealer.

Nice! I have a '12 SEL Focus, and I love it. The ST has a bigger engine, right?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Same sized engine, 2.0L but with a big ol' turbo to bring it up to 250HP!

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Definitely! In my opinion it could use some stability enhancements for towing work, like rear sway bar and stiffer rear springs. But it has basically the same drivetrain as contemporary GM half-ton trucks, along with better weight distribution and a lower center of gravity. I wouldnt say its a super badass tow vehicle (compared to new trucks which often have stronger brakes, better abs, stability control that is actually programmed to work with trailers, etc), but i would say it actually compares favorably to the smaller shortcab/shortbed 1/2 ton trucks of that era.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Amandyke posted:

How do you like it? Were you able to beat on the test drives at all? I've seriously been considering one, but I'm generally not a fan of FWD cars. From everything I've read and seen, they would appear to be set up fairly well, but I'm still a bit leery on them. Love that color though. Without getting into specifics, would you mind me asking how close to MSRP you got it for?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

How do you like it? Were you able to beat on the test drives at all? I've seriously been considering one, but I'm generally not a fan of FWD cars. From everything I've read and seen, they would appear to be set up fairly well, but I'm still a bit leery on them. Love that color though. Without getting into specifics, would you mind me asking how close to MSRP you got it for?

I paid $25,995 after incentives, MSRP was $29,165. The car handles extremely well, only very slight understeer which is solved by taking your foot off the loud pedal. Otherwise it is very neutral and if you chuck it into a corner the back end will step out ever so slightly to basically point you at the apex of the corner. It is quite a bit of fun to drive. And yes I railed on it (well a different one on the lot) during the test drive, may have frightening the sales guy a little.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
Ugh, i hate introductions, but my love of wagons overrides that..

August of last year, I became the happy owner of a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited Wagon
It was sold to a dealership in my area with a blown motor, and in kinda rough shape. They weren't sure what they were going to do with it until I happened upon it.

Some negotiating later, and they did some body work and dropped a lower mileage used engine in it, and she's been running like a champ ever since.

Modifications are more focused towards daily comfort, with a few handling upgrades as parts need replacing.

So far, I've done some Whiteline caster bushings to replace the worn out rear LCA bushings, tinted it all around to 20%, did the JDM Double-DIN conversion to install a nice head unit and stole the extra set of wheels from my track car (WRX) and threw some Continental ExtremeContact DWs for summer tires. The stock wheels got a set of General Articmax for winter use

Pics:

right after purchase

Double din install

As it sits today (dirty!)

i haven't decided if i like the wheels in gold like they are now, or if I'll be resorting to my previous plan of plastidipping them black. But I'm lazy, so they can stay gold for awhile.

The new Koni shocks i ordered for it showed up this week too.. should make it handle better than it's current blown stockers.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Amandyke posted:

I paid $25,995 after incentives, MSRP was $29,165. The car handles extremely well, only very slight understeer which is solved by taking your foot off the loud pedal. Otherwise it is very neutral and if you chuck it into a corner the back end will step out ever so slightly to basically point you at the apex of the corner. It is quite a bit of fun to drive. And yes I railed on it (well a different one on the lot) during the test drive, may have frightening the sales guy a little.

You're...not helping me save money...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ditto. I almost sent a RFQ in to the local dealer and I haven't even SAT in one yet to see if I fit (I'm very tall).

Out of all the hot hatchbacks the Focus ST is definitely my fav. WRX/STI coming close but you pay a bunch more.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Amandyke posted:

Glad to see someone get one. I cross-shopped the VW Golf R and the Focus ST this weekend. The Ford was a *lot* nicer than I was expecting and the performance was phenomenal, but I can't get over the interior. I probably made a big mistake by test driving the R right before the ST, but what can I say. The Golf R is like a little Bentley. With a price tag to match :allears:

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.
AI loves E30's and wagons, right? Here's a clip about how the E30 Touring came about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF0CUaS0czk

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We need a Hot-Hatch thread.

TheClarkster
Oct 23, 2008

nm posted:

I have an 05 V70R with the geartronic that is about to roll over 100k. I have rebuilt the transmission after it basically fell apart, replaced the expensive electronic front shocks, replaced motor mounts, and still have something wrong with my ABS that throws warnings at me.
All rather expensive repairs, but it is still my favorite car I've owned. Also, it eats oil like crazy, so keep a jug on hand.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I just saw this Holden HSV on autoblog and thought I'd pine for one here.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

I just put the summer tires on my 2007 E91 320d. 225s in front, 255s in the rear, on BMW Motorsport 320Si wheels.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

davebo posted:

I just saw this Holden HSV on autoblog and thought I'd pine for one here.

Great. Now I'm depressed. Stupid Pontiac not making the G8 Sport Wagon...

Confused_Donkey
Mar 16, 2003
I uhh, kinda bought another Wagon...

1988 BMW 325i

Bought it in Germany, drove all around Europe for 2 weeks, and now its just a few days away from hitting the US shore. 25 years I waited to bring one of these back!

Should go nicely with my 1992 E34 M5 Touring.

MisterSparkle
Jan 16, 2004
banishes dirt to the land of wind and ghosts

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Great. Now I'm depressed. Stupid Pontiac not making the G8 Sport Wagon...

They are brining over the VF as a Chevy SS, stands to reason you might eventually see the Wagon form?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MisterSparkle posted:

They are brining over the VF as a Chevy SS, stands to reason you might eventually see the Wagon form?

We won't.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

MisterSparkle posted:

Hahaha, no.

Since this is the proper place, does anyone here have any hands-on time with the Volvo V50? They've caught my eye lately and the T5 seems like a possibly viable option.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
From the HK thread. Juan Chai snapped this:

Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon by Rupert Procter, on Flickr

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Confused_Donkey posted:

1988 BMW 325i

Bought it in Germany, drove all around Europe for 2 weeks, and now its just a few days away from hitting the US shore. 25 years I waited to bring one of these back!

Say what now?! You're importing that? Sooo jealous over here! I demand more photos once it lands.

I'm patiently waiting to bring an RS2 stateside, needless to say I have a bit more waiting to do :smithicide:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Confused_Donkey posted:

1988 BMW 325i

How was the process? Did you visit germany just to buy it?

E36 wagons are legal in canada and I really want a 328i touring manual.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Hahaha, no.

Since this is the proper place, does anyone here have any hands-on time with the Volvo V50? They've caught my eye lately and the T5 seems like a possibly viable option.

I used to have an S40 which is identical until you get to the b pillar. It was a really nice car with an amazingly quiet and well made interior. Not the most interesting car to drive, but I had the pokey naturally aspirated engine.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I managed to fit most of a riding lawn-mower (the deck had to ride separately) in the back of my Volvo 855, it was a super tight fit but it worked. Unfortunately now I have a wiring issue under the headliner that makes the car think the doors are open all the time but it was totally worth it.

I also bought an '89 Volvo 245 to drive while I fix the 855s numerous mechanical problems, and then it will become a project itself.

Squeeze
Jul 23, 2012

This thing of beauty is parked next to my building. I have never been so tempted to leave the owner a note that I want to buy his car.
It's got 195k miles and no apparent rust, so it's basically new.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Terrible Robot posted:

I also bought an '89 Volvo 245 to drive while I fix the 855s numerous mechanical problems, and then it will become a project itself.

I live AI's attitude to cars.

"I have a nice car, better buy a beater so I can keep this in good condition"
~ restores beater ~

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
I think AI is single-handedly keeping the restoration market going...

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
This is currently sitting in my driveway, sadly not mine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Love the color, is it a diesel? That would be about the best new BMW in my opinion.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Pretty Un-cool wagon, but has anyone tried out the new (2014) Kia Rondo? Looking at options to replace my wife's 10 year old Pathfinder and want to move away from SUVs with crap gas mileage.

The Rondo and the Mazda5 are currently what I'm considering, haven't checked out either at dealerships yet. Needs a good amount of room for 1+ kids and a couple dogs, those looked like good options. I think she already nixed the Ford Flex for being weird looking.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I moved this weekend, and was able to cram a 30" x 18" x 48" dresser , a disassembled desk, a queen size mattress, and two large suitcases into my volvo 850. I discovered that you can take out the rear seat bottoms for an extra 6" of room lengthwise when folded down, while also freeing up the space in the footwells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

priznat posted:

Pretty Un-cool wagon, but has anyone tried out the new (2014) Kia Rondo? Looking at options to replace my wife's 10 year old Pathfinder and want to move away from SUVs with crap gas mileage.

The Rondo and the Mazda5 are currently what I'm considering, haven't checked out either at dealerships yet. Needs a good amount of room for 1+ kids and a couple dogs, those looked like good options. I think she already nixed the Ford Flex for being weird looking.

Is a VW Jetta wagon within the budget? They're pretty handy things.

• Locked thread