Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Guilty posted:

Even that cutting article would be utterly stupid for a normal person to pursue

Yeah, but I find it pretty hard to fault this warning:

the article posted:

Even though boxers and wrestlers have been manipulating weight in this fashion for decades, it has the air of illicit activity. And though it’s legal in MMA competition, you should *never* try this at home or without medical supervision. Excessive dehydration can kill you. “Cutting weight” has no place in real-world dieting or behavior.

This is NOT an article on sustainable weight loss or healthy living. Rather, it’s a fascinating look at how far athletes and scientists will go to manipulate the human body for competitive advantage.

You could probably argue the title was meant to draw readers with the false hope of useful dieting advice, which is a little sketchy (unsurprisingly, given what others have posted about him). But I'll credit him with doing about as much as he could to make sure people actually don't try to follow this plan for prom night, short of just not writing an article on MMA weight cutting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Hit a flying armbar during randori tonight. Feels good man.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

McNerd posted:

follow this plan for prom night
that's what I did wrong?.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Can anybody here recommend a good school in or near Ann Arbor, MI? I have a car and can drive to other towns, but I would prefer not to have to go all the way to Detroit or anything.

I am flexible as to style. I used to attend Dallas Karate Academy and enjoyed it, but it was a while ago.

I'm having trouble finding a place that doesn't seem bullshitty, and I'd appreciate any help you could give.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

NiftyBottle posted:

Can anybody here recommend a good school in or near Ann Arbor, MI? I have a car and can drive to other towns, but I would prefer not to have to go all the way to Detroit or anything.

I am flexible as to style. I used to attend Dallas Karate Academy and enjoyed it, but it was a while ago.

I'm having trouble finding a place that doesn't seem bullshitty, and I'd appreciate any help you could give.

http://www.ribeirojjannarbor.com/
http://annarbormartialarts.com/
http://annarborjj.com/wp/
http://www.warriorway.com/

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
You could probably also check into martial arts clubs at the university. Those are usually open to community members.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

That website is basically the exact opposite of a McDojo website. It's even like they went through a list of things that McDojo's do and actively refuted them all.

This picture for "Women's Self Defense BJJ" from there makes me giggle. Why is she slow dancing with a zombie?

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 8, 2013

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
It looks more like a violent tango to me

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I think that might be a PSA about public transit. I'm pretty sure I've had all of those moves used on me on crowded buses.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

If you're going to go to one of them, go to Warrior Way. With that membership you also get to go to Mash Gym (redford) and Fight Club Proving Grounds (waterford) for free. These gyms have put out some great fighters/jiu jitsu players recently, like Daron Cruickshank, Myles Jury (Both UFC), Jason Fisher (Bellator), and Big Don Richard (Jiu JItsu black belt), not to mention the other black belts. Let it be known that I train at Mash, but it's safe to say that the Caique guys are pretty darn good and well worth travelling to.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
So I just joined a BJJ school nearby and have a four year background in wrestling. I got my rear end beat and am trying to figure out what I shouldn't be doing through trial and error.

Three things that I found out the hard way by being thrown to the dogs:

Sprawling is not the right answer to every situation.
Rolling to your stomach all the time is also a Bad Thing.
I will either need log-sized muscle neck, or I need to tuck my head in and not let anyone touch it ever.

I learned pretty quickly when we were drilling technique and could pick things up pretty solidly after one or two goes, but I had zero knowledge for passing through the guard or how to do anything close to maintaining the guard. Being able to use the gi as part of the technique hosed up my mind and I didn't know what the hell was going on. I watched the other guys when they were sparring and have a vague idea of what I should be doing.

What habits should I be looking to break for the transition between the two? I'm sure I'll be getting lessons as I continue to screw up, but it'd be easier to hear some specific things to look out for on my own that I may be subconsciously doing while on the mat.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Just always be on top of them and keep your poo poo close to your body. Those who worship the Old Gods call it "Fitching"

Seriously though, once you figure out when your limbs are being put in danger you're going to have a huge breakthrough because of your wrestling background. And yes, stop giving up your back. Also you don't need muscles to do BJJ, that's why BJJ schools are 99% pasty and unathletic stoners. Furthermore, getting around a good closed guard can be hellish depending on the person but can-openers are hilarious and actually work sometimes.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Novum posted:

Also you don't need muscles to do BJJ, that's why BJJ schools are 99% pasty and unathletic stoners.

High level players are more often than not pretty athletic, but you know that. Being strong sure as hell doesn't harm in a sport that involves grabbing people and doing things to them they don't want done.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
You can tell the BJJ people from everyone else in the locker room just by their physique. Pasty fat guy? Cardio kickboxing. Thin wispy guy who seems to be looking inside of his head, and has huge thighs? Savate or MT. The guy who is built like a box, because from neck down he is just as wide everywhere (which is pretty wide)? BJJ.

Edit: the guy with just about any physique, but with a weird glint in his eye and and oddly self-assured manner who talks all the time, half of which you can't understand - that'll be the boxer.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 9, 2013

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

As a wrestler, you'll pick up BJJ twice as fast as everybody else. You'll develop a top-focused game, you'll probably focus on kimuras and arm triangles, you'll wreck poo poo. Be calm when on top but be relentless if you're on the bottom.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Commoners posted:

I will either need log-sized muscle neck, or I need to tuck my head in and not let anyone touch it ever.

Choking out big, burly, serious business wrestlers is the funnest thing.

I was a wrestler before I took up grappling. Coming in from a wrestling background you need to do two things above all else. Tuck your head, and calm the gently caress down. Just slow down, let stuff flow, and accept that you can't muscle through everything.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Choking out big, burly, Coming in from a wrestling background you need to do two things above all else. Tuck your head, and calm the gently caress down. Just slow down, let stuff flow, and accept that you can't muscle through everything.

I always hear this; what is it about training wrestling that (allegedly) reinforces the idea of full-speed muscling through everything, at least by comparison with BJJ? Is it just a different culture? Safer to train full-speed without joint locks? Something else?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Commoners posted:

So I just joined a BJJ school nearby and have a four year background in wrestling.

Learn how to pass to side control and then just put your weight on them and stay there forever until they give up an arm. Seriously once you learn to place your weight on them which will probably take an hour of rolling coming from wrestling you're going to do well. Don't muscle out of poo poo and work your bottom game as well just because you're a wrestler doesn't mean you will be there always.

McNerd posted:

I always hear this; what is it about training wrestling that (allegedly) reinforces the idea of full-speed muscling through everything, at least by comparison with BJJ? Is it just a different culture? Safer to train full-speed without joint locks? Something else?

In high school wrestling it was always full speed go for the kill get the pin. Every single second of practice and I'm sure that's how it is for every team. It's just ingrained in wrestlers heads to go hard. Which makes them lovely sparring partners until you have the skills to deal with them.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

McNerd posted:

It's a very different sport. You can win a wrestling match with a single powerful move, so going fast and hard makes sense. The same approach will get you murdered in BJJ, because an experienced grappler will just stay cool and let you spaz out in his guard, and then do whatever he wants to you once you're gassed.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

McNerd posted:

It's a culture thing. There is no concept of Randori in wrestling. Either you are drilling, or you are trying 100% to win. It is ingrained into wrestlers that if you aren't going as hard as you can at all times you are doing something wrong.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I remember someone posting in here saying that wrestlers getting into boxing are a huge problem when it comes to sparring since they just go all out and try to knock dudes out from the get go. Makes sense given the culture, I guess.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

Commoners posted:

What habits should I be looking to break for the transition between the two? I'm sure I'll be getting lessons as I continue to screw up, but it'd be easier to hear some specific things to look out for on my own that I may be subconsciously doing while on the mat.

Depending on how good a wrestler you are, you're probably already a good BJJer too. I usually link our newbie wrestlers to these vids because I think the goal is not to make them start over from square one, but to enhance the good positional foundation they got in wrestling by teaching them subs that let them finish from positions they know. Sprawl actually IS one position that could be called a right answer to everything (along with mount and back control), you've just gotta know how to finish once you get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPD7oSpNkXc Moves for wrestlemans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkvZ22L_Lv8 Various no gi chokes

E: Just don't hurt anyone. Repeat- DO NOT HURT ANYONE. And I mean that for yourself too, don't get injured just to protect your ego from bruising. Remember that the goal of practice is to practice, not to win, and there is no shame in tapping, even though it might feel like losing when you're in the thick of it. If you're doing a sub that doesn't seem to be working, don't try to put on more muscle, let it go, try something else, don't loving hurt anyone!

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 9, 2013

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

McNerd posted:

It is cultural, as people have noted above, but also it has to do with competition rules. Wrestling has 2 minute periods. Pretty much the shortest period in BJJ competition is 5 minutes, and for higher belt/level competition it can be as long as 10 or 20. If BJJ only competed in 2 minute rounds there'd be a lot more emphasis on high speed powering into finishes, and if wrestling regularly had ten minute periods there'd be a lot more emphasis on relaxing and flowing into takedown/pinning opportunities.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think momentum probably plays a part, too. Momentum would be more important standing up than it is on the ground, and it's something you can generate through berzerker rage.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I think momentum probably plays a part, too. Momentum would be more important standing up than it is on the ground, and it's something you can generate through berzerker rage.

Naw, Judo players think folkstyle wrestlers are spastic as well.

In my experience a good wrestler can come in and own novice divisions, but have zero success against brown/black belts, because those guys know how to neutralize a guy trying to bullfight. Some guys realize that and adapt their game and become really successful. Other guys never lose the wrestler's mindset and stagnate.

Greco Roman guys are kind of an exception to this. A guy who is really good at Greco can come in and throw even experienced Judoka around.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
So, judo season will soon be over and I'm going to use the few months off of judo to build more strength and cardio.

I plan on doing :
2-3 days of cardio (1 or 2 "long" runs and 1 or 2 faster/interval style cardio)
3 days weight lifting

In the past I've done Starting Strength but I didn't really like it because it raped my legs too often which made running/judo a pain.
I did a variation of westside for skinny bastard that I really liked and I'm currently thinking of going back to this.
I also liked program #2a of this thread : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526910 and I'm also considering it since it's only 2 days a week which would make it easy to follow and easy to add a day to do explosive stuff like powercleans or sandbag training or technical drills like uchi komis with a band.

What are you favorite lifting programs that would still leave me enough energy to do some cardio?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

What are you favorite lifting programs that would still leave me enough energy to do some cardio?

Stripped 5x5 is pretty cool, I used to do it during lunch and then BJJ at night. Maybe too similar to Starting Strength for your taste, but I never liked SS either and was very happy with Stripped.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You might like this:

http://www.pendlay.com/MMA-Strength-Training-and-Conditioning_df_91.html

It's a program that Glenn Pendlay knocked up for fighters, it's basically Starting Strength but easier on your legs, and you can choose your conditioning yourself to be sport-specific.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You might like this:

http://www.pendlay.com/MMA-Strength-Training-and-Conditioning_df_91.html

It's a program that Glenn Pendlay knocked up for fighters, it's basically Starting Strength but easier on your legs, and you can choose your conditioning yourself to be sport-specific.

That sounds pretty good. I also did that stripped 5x5 thing but it's too much like SS and while it's good and I had great progress on it it's just no fun to me. I'll either do that pendlay thing or WSFSB. I like how short that Pendlay thing is and will leave me strong enough to do conditioning on off days too.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
So I'm considering getting a pair of vibrams for outdoor practices. Does anyone have any experiences with these? Specifically Capoeira

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

That sounds pretty good. I also did that stripped 5x5 thing but it's too much like SS and while it's good and I had great progress on it it's just no fun to me. I'll either do that pendlay thing or WSFSB. I like how short that Pendlay thing is and will leave me strong enough to do conditioning on off days too.

I still get pretty wicked DOMS the day after squat day, so I arrange it so that it's the last day of my training week. But otherwise I really like it, it's easy enough that I don't have trouble sticking to it.

Guilty posted:

So I'm considering getting a pair of vibrams for outdoor practices. Does anyone have any experiences with these? Specifically Capoeira

I have a pair of KSOs that I use for running. They're pretty cool once you get over the embarassment of wearing stupid shoes. They're very grippy and would work fine as wrestling shoes except that they don't protect your toes (which is the only reason I wear wrestling shoes, I'm always ruining my toes).

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

I like this 5RM approach I read in Pavel Tsatsouline book. Each lifting session you work up to your 5RM, then take off 10% and do another 5 reps. At a bare minimum you could do three sessions a week - 1 each for bench, squat and deadlift - where you just do that lift and be done. Otherwise add accessory work.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I still get pretty wicked DOMS the day after squat day, so I arrange it so that it's the last day of my training week. But otherwise I really like it, it's easy enough that I don't have trouble sticking to it.

Yeah, that's normal I think. Squatting always destroy my legs too. But it's alright if it's only once a week since I can make sure it doesn't interfere with anything else. The problem with SS and 5x5 and such is that it will either have you squat all the god damned time which is just not doable for me if I want to do any other sport than weightlifting or it will have 2 days of training which you alternate, but training 3x a week that means you don't control when you squat so it's harder to plan ahead. I did it in the past and it didn't work great for me. I could probably do it for the summer since I'm not doing judo, but I'd rather keep the same program for a year or so. Also, power cleans and push press are crazy fun so I'm always happy when I see a program that put them to use.

Pocket Billiards posted:

I like this 5RM approach I read in Pavel Tsatsouline book. Each lifting session you work up to your 5RM, then take off 10% and do another 5 reps. At a bare minimum you could do three sessions a week - 1 each for bench, squat and deadlift - where you just do that lift and be done. Otherwise add accessory work.

May be when I'm more experienced I'll look into stuff like that, but right now I'm more than happy to chose a program that just tells me to do "this x number of times for x number of reps" because I'm lazy and I doubt I could be good at choosing accessory work.

---

So yeah it's decided. That pendlay this is what it's going to be. I'll probably start with that 2x a week program from alfalfa for the next month and a half while I'm far from the gym and still work 2 jobs, but as soon as I move next to the gym on July first, I'm switching to this.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I was looking at my martial arts books, and for some reason I pulled out and started reading A Book of Five Rings, and I found a funny excerpt of Miyamoto Musashi ranting about McDojos:

"If we look at the world we see arts for sale. Men use equipment to sell their own selves. As if with the nut and the flower, the nut has become less than the flower. In this kind of Way of strategy, both those teaching and those learning the way are concerned with coloring and showing off their technique, trying to hasten the bloom of the flower. They speak of "This Dojo" and "That Dojo". They are looking for profit. Someone once said "Immature strategy is the cause of grief". That was a true saying."

Truly, there is nothing new under the sun.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Bohemian Nights posted:

Truly, there is nothing new under the sun.

Is that an intentional pun?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I should pick up the Book of Five Rings, never got around to it. On a slight tangent, here is the most hilarious line in the Hagakure:

Yamamoto Tsunemoto posted:

Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I should pick up the Book of Five Rings, never got around to it. On a slight tangent, here is the most hilarious line in the Hagakure:

where the hagakure is teaching you a way to behave that the emperor wants (bushido) he book of five rings only talks about victory and increasing your chances of surviving any sort of conflict without any sort of moral guidance. The main thing his book emphasizes is.. train everything extensively.

<3 Miyamoto Musashi

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
A lot of the book of five rings will seem cliche because its so widely read. I got an annotated addition with a biography of muashi included and got a lot out of that version.

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP
Are there any recommended training regimens out there for people in combat sports?

I've temporarily relocated and can't take muay thai classes for 4 months. I want to maintain my cardio while I'm gone, but improving my overall strength and explosiveness would be nice too

Options? Should I just do morning jogs/HIIT coupled with Starting Strength? Would I be better off doing the Insanity workout? halp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Xguard86 posted:

A lot of the book of five rings will seem cliche because its so widely read. I got an annotated addition with a biography of muashi included and got a lot out of that version.

It's like with The Art of War, concepts like Divide and Conquer are really just a matter of simple logic but it had to have been written down for the first time somewhere.

• Locked thread