Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

I’m not a big fan of VW Golf per se but woah.

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-what-you-get-when-yo-combine-a-vw-gti-with-an-a-498558216

eames fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

That band performing in the background that looks an awful lot like Scooter.

Yep, that looks pretty much exactly like the kind of car that someone who listens to Scooter would find cool as poo poo.

\/\/\/ You'd be surprised at the amount of things the 1990's birthed that didn't die when they were supposed to.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 9, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I think the biggest shock out of that comment is that Scooter still exists.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Nuclear Tourist posted:

That band performing in the background that looks an awful lot like Scooter.

Yep, that looks pretty much exactly like the kind of car that someone who listens to Scooter would find cool as poo poo.

\/\/\/ You'd be surprised at the amount of things the 1990's birthed that didn't die when they were supposed to.

Does this mean I should go check out the band you call "Scooter"?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I think the biggest shock out of that comment is that Scooter still exists.

I don't think the male lead singer (in loosest terms) ever ages

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
It doesn't get anymore German than blasting scooter out of your Golf/Scirocco.

Scooter is hilarious, some of his songs have lyrics that are literally 3 lines long and he acts like hes all artistic and brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzHjOgOAPIQ

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DerDestroyer posted:

Scooter is hilarious, some of his songs have lyrics that are literally 3 lines long and he acts like hes all artistic and brilliant.

Scooter is the group, the lead "singer" is H.P. Baxxter. He's a huge car enthusiast, so actually strangely fitting for AI.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

KozmoNaut posted:

Scooter is the group, the lead "singer" is H.P. Baxxter. He's a huge car enthusiast, so actually strangely fitting for AI.

Yeah, he's a huge Anglophile and loves his British cars

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

2015 Buick Grand National and GNX:

quote:

Buick wasn't always synonymous with retirement and long naps. During the dark days of the mid-1980s, Buick was GM's sunny spot for quick cars, racing prowess, and advanced technology such as in-car cell phones and touch screens. To turn fundamentally bad V-6s into viable V-8 alternatives, Buick engineers developed sequential electronic fuel injection, distributor-less ignition, and ceramic-impeller-wheel turbos.

Feeling its oats in 1984, Buick created "We Brake for Corvettes" bumper stickers celebrating an epic intramural victory: Buick's Regal Grand National could outgun Chevy's two-seater in the quarter-mile. In 1985, Indy cars powered by turbocharged Buick V-6s qualified 1-2 at the Brickyard. To seal the deal, Buick built a run of 1987-model turbocharged and intercooled GNXs; in our May 1987 issue, one proved capable of a 4.7-second 0-to-60-mph sprint and ran the quarter-mile in 13.5 seconds at 102 mph. (C/D's test results for a 1988 Corvette: zero to 60 in 5.6 seconds, the quarter-mile in 14.3 seconds at 95 mph.)

To put an end to the long, dull interlude that followed that era, Buick is resuscitating its two revered nameplates. The 2015 Grand National and GNX sedans will ride on GM's new rear-drive Alpha platform, which was introduced with the Cadillac ATS and is earmarked for the sixth-generation Camaro and the third-generation Cadillac CTS.

Like the ATS, Buick's GN will offer the choice of a turbocharged 2.0-liter four (currently rated at 272 horsepower) or a 3.6-liter V-6 that makes 321 horses in the ATS. The wicked GNX, available only in the official shade of evil (black), will be powered by a twin-turbo ­3.6-liter V-6 that should be good for 400 horsepower. The transmission roster will include manuals for the turbo engines and automatics across the board. The eight-speed Hydra-Matic due in 2014 should serve nicely here.

Even without the V-8 engines that are reserved for Camaros and Cadillacs, these Buick sports sedans should be capable of serious performance. By that we mean tire smoke on demand, near-neutral throttle-down handling, and acceleration figures that raise eyebrows in Bavaria. In the likely event Buick throws all-wheel drive into the mix, its new warriors will take the fight to Audi.

Family dynasties in the GM org chart reveal why Buick's hot rods easily won approval: Lloyd Reuss was Buick's general manager in the early 1980s when the Grand National and GNX seeds were planted. His son, Mark Reuss, a teenager back when Buicks ruled, is now the current president of GM North America. That infusion of fresh Reuss blood is bound to revive the brand's performance arm.
http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...id=1458_8509119

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

so the GNX is basically what the ATS-V was expected to be.

That sounds great, the ATS seems to get nothing but praise from the auto mags.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah I'm totally onboard with that proposed GNX.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Car and Driver posted:

The transmission roster will include manuals for the turbo engines and automatics across the board

Please oh please dont mess this up and pull a Chevy SS with auto only when it is all said and done.
Ive been waiting for the ATS-V and it would be awesome to be able to cross shop this with a GNX when it is available.
There can never be too many RWD turbo stick sedans available.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I mean, it sounds like a great fast and fun car and everything. I just expected it to look a little cooler. It just looks like they put goofy wheels on a regular old Buick. They didn't even bother using a black one for the photo shoot?

Edit: vv my bad, just looked like a photo

davebo fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 10, 2013

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

davebo posted:

I mean, it sounds like a great fast and fun car and everything. I just expected it to look a little cooler. It just looks like they put goofy wheels on a regular old Buick. They didn't even bother using a black one for the photo shoot?

....it's an artist's rendering.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I can't wait for the super riced up Dart to appear:
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/dodge-jumps-on-coattails-of-fast-and-furious-6.html

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I wonder if the 2.0L turbo will be a variation of the LNF Ecotec engine. Those can make some serious power. Can't wait to see an official picture of the car.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Franco Caution posted:

Please oh please dont mess this up and pull a Chevy SS with auto only when it is all said and done.
Ive been waiting for the ATS-V and it would be awesome to be able to cross shop this with a GNX when it is available.
There can never be too many RWD turbo stick sedans available.

Yeah how annoying would that be to drive a Grand National with an automatic. :rolleyes:

Also twin turbo for the GNX gently caress YES

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I wonder if the 2.0L turbo will be a variation of the LNF Ecotec engine. Those can make some serious power. Can't wait to see an official picture of the car.

It will be the same LTG out of the ATS. Same bore/stroke, but higher compression and a twin scroll turbo.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

It will be the same LTG out of the ATS. Same bore/stroke, but higher compression and a twin scroll turbo.

The LNF was a twin scroll turbo too. Blocks are completely different, i.e. balance shafts moved to the oil pan like the Chrysler 4-cyl, no EGR.

The Regal GS and Verano Turbo used the LNF until this year at least, they may have switched to the LTG now.

I don't understand what the source of the C&D thing is, no one from GM is quoted and there's been nothing on any of the other news sites, is it just a thing they would like to see happen or is it actually happening?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
If GM was intelligent, they'd bring Buick back to NASCAR with the new Grand National. I doubt they will, but it would generate a huge buzz here in the States.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah I'm totally onboard with that proposed GNX.

Me too. Makes me wonder... How long will it be until someone throws an LS9 or twin turbo LS3 in one?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Here's some actual GM news. The new Silverado High Country, which will be a Chevy competitor to the Sierra Denali, F-150 Limited and Ram Laramie or Longhorn or whatever it's called.

quote:

For Immediate Release: Sunday, May 5, 2013, 8 p.m. EDT

Silverado Adds Rugged Luxury with New High Country

• New crew cab model to compete in premium pickup segment
• Unique exterior appearance, saddle brown interior
• Standard 5.3L V-8 with 355 horsepower, up to 23 mpg highway

SAN ANTONIO – The 2014 Silverado High Country will further broaden Chevrolet's portfolio in the premium pickup segment when it joins the LTZ and Z71 models in the Silverado lineup this fall.

Silverado High Country is distinguished by a unique chrome grille with horizontal chrome bars, halogen projector headlamps and body-color front and rear bumpers. Unique 20-inch chrome wheels with P275/55R20 all-season tires are standard, as are chrome body side moldings, door handles and mirrors.

Inside, Silverado High Country features an exclusive saddle brown interior, with authentic materials throughout. Features include heated and cooled perforated premium leather front bucket seats with High Country logos on the headrests, Chevrolet MyLink connectivity with an 8-inch touch screen, Bose premium audio and front and rear park assist.

"High Country will be the top model in the Silverado lineup, with a higher level of premium features and materials with a rich, Western themed appearance," said Maria Rohrer, Silverado marketing director. "But at the same time, High Country is 100-percent Chevy truck, with the capability and dependability customers have relied on for more than 95 years."

Standard engine for the Silverado High Country is the 5.3L EcoTec3 V-8, SAE-certified at 355 horsepower (250 kW), with class-leading V-8 fuel economy of up to 23 mpg highway (2WD models). The all-new 6.2L EcoTec3 V-8 also will be available. Both engines feature direct fuel injection, Active Fuel Management and continuously variable valve timing, proving the refined power and torque truck customers expect. Both seamlessly switch to four-cylinder mode to save fuel during light-load driving.

Because of the high level of standard equipment, Silverado High Country will offer only a few options. In addition to the 6.2L EcoTec3 V-8, they include a chrome rear bumper with CornerStep, integrated trailer brake controller, sunroof, navigation, and a rear-seat entertainment system as well as a High Country Premium Package which includes heated steering wheel, driver alert package, adjustable pedals and integrated trailer brake controller.

Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4.5 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design, and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at https://www.chevrolet.com.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Any guesses on pricing for the GN and GNX?

Time to start saving.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Time to start saving.

Well a Regal GS starts at $35,875, so more than that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think the Silverado would look a lot better without the logo sewn into the headrest.

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho

VanNuys posted:

Bulbous was the wrong word, you're right. I'm just waking up, im not sure what i was looking for. I still think it looks a lot like the infiniti though.

At first glance that looks like a PT Cruiser, barf

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Rhyno posted:

Time to start saving.

This is the big question, the ATS 2.0L Performance starts in the mid 40s. I'm hoping that the GN is going to be slotted below the ATS. I'm hoping that they can manage to price it near what the comparable Camaro would cost (~25k-45k).

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Speaking of fast and furious Darts, it's been confirmed that the new Maserati twin turbo V6 is based off the Pentastar. Ferrari engineered the new heads and replaced the internals for a sweet sounding engine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz3WFLVQF3Y Heh, you can absolutely tell that it's a Penta after listening to this angry Wrangler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um3ZTDbiu5U

I'm hoping that an "American" version ends up in a SRT Dart and other Mopar vehicles someday.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
A new GNX would be awesome, but I honestly don't understand why Buick still exists in the states. The brand used to be know for creative styling and some cool products, but that was 60-70 years ago, and they're not really capitalizing on that legacy. A GNX would help attract younger buyers, and the Regal Turbo is interesting, but they have their work cut out for them creating that kind of appeal across the brand, especially when they're squeezed between the shoulders of Chevy and Cadillac. GM could push Cadillac upmarket to try and give Buick more territory, but I doubt that would increase the aggregate number of GM customers. This is entirely off the cuff, I haven't looked at numbers lately, but more than two brands (excluding trucks or performance divisions) per company in the US market seems like a waste.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Buick exists in the US, because Buick is huge in China.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

G-Mach posted:

Buick exists in the US, because Buick is huge in China.

This is tiresome and dumb. Buick with a relatively tiny vehicle lineup has sold more cars this year in the US than Audi, Infiniti, or Acura and has done so at least since 2008. Why do those brands exist in the US then? *Most* buyers of luxury vehicles are 50+ years old and shopping for a luxury SUV. Internet car forums posters who drive 10 year old Miatas and 15 year old E46 325is are not in fact the target demographic of most carmakers.

By any reasonable metric Buick has been a huge success and very profitable for GM in both China and the US, unlike Audi which has been a complete failure for its entire history in the US. Actually you could make a legitimate case that Audi really has no reason to exist in the US and is only around because of China.

There was a guy on the Obama auto task force who wanted to kill Buick, he was an idiot who didn't understand how the car industry works and the reasonable people at GM were able to talk him out of it.

quote:

A new GNX would be awesome, but I honestly don't understand why Buick still exists in the states. The brand used to be know for creative styling and some cool products, but that was 60-70 years ago, and they're not really capitalizing on that legacy. A GNX would help attract younger buyers, and the Regal Turbo is interesting, but they have their work cut out for them creating that kind of appeal across the brand, especially when they're squeezed between the shoulders of Chevy and Cadillac. GM could push Cadillac upmarket to try and give Buick more territory, but I doubt that would increase the aggregate number of GM customers. This is entirely off the cuff, I haven't looked at numbers lately, but more than two brands (excluding trucks or performance divisions) per company in the US market seems like a waste.

This is another awful internet car forum trope. Products aren't planned soley based on some OCD sperglord thinks a neat org chart should look like. Cars get made because carmakers think they'll incrementally make more money selling them than they'll spend money designing and building them. That's all there is to it. Different people like different cars for different reasons. Whether there is another car somewhere else that costs a similar amount and seems to be vaguely similar in other ways is neither here nor there.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

This is tiresome and dumb. Buick with a relatively tiny vehicle lineup has sold more cars this year in the US than Audi, Infiniti, or Acura and has done so at least since 2008. Why do those brands exist in the US then? *Most* buyers of luxury vehicles are 50+ years old and shopping for a luxury SUV. Internet car forums posters who drive 10 year old Miatas and 15 year old E46 325is are not in fact the target demographic of most carmakers.

Isn't the average buyer age of most brands in the high 40's and low 50's? I think I remember seeing the lowest at 42 or something like that a couple of years ago. Young people aren't the target demographic for any car makers because they tend to not make enough money to pay for a car on top of all of their student debt even though they live at home.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Aside From the R8, I can literally not think of a reason other than image to buy an Audi. In addition, most of car buying public wants gay automatic Sedans and lame-rear end SUVs and crossovers; these are the facts, and no amount of whining on car forums is going to change this.

I don't really get this forum sometimes, it's not as if manufacturers don't offer relatively affordable performance cars (Miata, BRZ/FRS, Mustang) but there seems to be this call for every manufacturer to offer a Manual diesel RWD sportwagon with crank-up windows; despite the fact that nobody in North America has bought a wagon since 1993. If you want a performance car for a relatively affordable price, buy a coupe and kindly shut the gently caress up. Nobody wants non-premium sports sedans and wagons that aren't the EVO or STI.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I'm still trying to figure out why Car and Driver thinks the Buick 3800 was a "fundamentally bad" V6, particularly in the 1980s when even the naturally aspirated version was putting out more power than some V8s and the thing could go 300,000 miles without a hitch. It was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines of the entire 20th century.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

animeliker posted:

gay automatic Sedans

Cool post.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

This is tiresome and dumb. Buick with a relatively tiny vehicle lineup has sold more cars this year in the US than Audi, Infiniti, or Acura and has done so at least since 2008.

That's amazing. I'm rolling off impressions from my part of the country. Nobody buys Buick in my coastal blue state. We have five dealerships with Buick on the sign. I almost never see new ones on the road, they all tend to be old Centuries.

quote:

Young people aren't the target demographic for any car makers because they tend to not make enough money to pay for a car on top of all of their student debt even though they live at home.

I should've been more clear here; I meant young in a sense relative to the main Buick market, which is about to die. The Verano and Regal Turbo are good steps at building brand capital with the next crop of buyers, but I think they have quite aways to go to replenishment.

I'm not arguing that every carmaker should make car nerd product, I'm arguing that brands need a way to stand out and have a persistent identity across generations of buyers if they want reliable success.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

animeliker posted:

there seems to be this call for every manufacturer to offer a Manual diesel RWD sportwagon with crank-up windows; despite the fact that nobody in North America has bought a wagon since 1993.

Amusingly Audi is big on diesels and wagons internationally.

Not that I understand where the diesel obsession on here comes from - I think its only because they're not widely available

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

Amusingly Audi is big on diesels and wagons internationally.

Not that I understand where the diesel obsession on here comes from - I think its only because they're not widely available

It's probably mostly a greener grass issue. It's exotic and different. Contrast with Europe, where like 75% of all new cars sold are diesels, and most of them are tiny econoboxes with great fuel mileage, but not much fun to drive. But it's not those that you want, you want the 150hp+ ones that have gobs of torque and those are admittedly quite nice to drive.

Strangely enough, I would have thought diesel was a great fit for the US. Home of the V8, and a population that appreciates big lazy torque, long-distance driving and automatics. Diesel engines fit perfectly into those parameters while getting much better fuel mileage.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Throatwarbler posted:

By any reasonable metric Buick has been a huge success and very profitable for GM in both China and the US, unlike Audi which has been a complete failure for its entire history in the US. Actually you could make a legitimate case that Audi really has no reason to exist in the US and is only around because of China.

Wait, what? I don't disagree with you that Buick is profitable in the United States, but Audi is profitable and has been for the last two or three years. Audi is around in the United States because the Group hasn't ever seen a slice of the pie they don't want to get a piece of, and it makes money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

dissss posted:

Yeah. Especially given US fuel prices, if you want a diesel in something other than a truck/4x4, you really need to ask yourself why. I'll say that at least with an auto or a twin-clutch gearbox modern diesels are nice enough, but a diesel with a manual box is loving horrible to drive. You get just enough time to think "Aw, yeah, here we go", and then you have to upshift.

KozmoNaut posted:

Strangely enough, I would have thought diesel was a great fit for the US. Home of the V8, and a population that appreciates big lazy torque, long-distance driving and automatics. Diesel engines fit perfectly into those parameters while getting much better fuel mileage.
They really do suit people who are used to torquey, lower-revving engines, yeah. I've said for a long time that they're a really good fit for people who learned to drive on old engine tech, and never really got the idea that there was a region above 3000rpm on the tach.

At least the vast increase in diesel drivers nowadays means that how they teach learners to upshift and work the engine is finally somewhat relevant again.