Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Michelle Rodriguez should be one of the sand snakes. The fiesty one who is also a cop.

But then she'll get written out abruptly for tearing rear end around Morocco in a Jeep while plastered on cheap liquor.

Wait, if Harold Parrineau gets to appear so he can kill her off, this is acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Speedy Gonzales should be Oberyn. Doran can be George Lopez. Arianne is Jessica Alba and Quentyn is salsa barbeque.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Having Hodor motor around with Walt in a forklift would really ...

Never mind. I've gone off track.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I actually really like Danny Trejo and Michelle Rodriguez. I am attracted to both sexually and think they are good at acting in schlock such as GOT.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
So, since this is now a subject, was I the only one here who immediately thought Theon was black when the book describes him as a 'dark-skinned youth'? The first time I read ACoK and GoT, the entire time I pictured the Greyjoys and people on the Iron Islands as black vikings. Then I looked up fanart and immediately felt stupid. (Bear in mind this was when I was a dumb high-school kid.)

edit: VVVV I also thought that at first incidentally.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 10, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Contra Calculus posted:

So, since this is now a subject, was I the only one here who immediately thought Theon was black when the book describes him as a 'dark-skinned youth'? The first time I read ACoK and GoT, the entire time I pictured the Greyjoys and people on the Iron Islands as black vikings. Then I looked up fanart and immediately felt stupid. (Bear in mind this was when I was a dumb high-school kid.)

I was pretty sure Jaime was pronounced Highme like it would be in Spanish.

Can't recall any mental images of Theon though.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

So here's a fantastic thing for you fans of hard data out there.

http://www.jeromecukier.net/projects/agot/events.html

The best part is if you set the slider to before AFFC, you can see exactly how much doesn't happen in the last 2 books.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

We just spent two pages discussing Ygritte and her actress and no one mentioned her nude scene.

Are we... are we the GOOD thread now? :ohdear:

I'm thinking about getting a new avatar/shtick since that is the first thing that comes up whenever I show up in a thread.

seriously though why do people find Ygritte annoying? (I'm really talking book chat here)

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
She wasn't even around long enough for me to find her annoying (she was around for like... not even half a book?) Maybe people just really hate gingers or something and that's why Cat, Sansa, and Ygritte are disliked.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Contra Calculus posted:

Maybe people just really hate gingers or something and that's why Cat, Sansa, and Ygritte are disliked.

Holy poo poo

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Ygritte just kinda came and went. :pervert:

And then when she and Jon are about to be re-united she get's loving penetrated by most of the MiB and it's frankly kinda gross.

There's nothing wrong with her as a fictional person it's just that GORM used her as a way of telling Jon he was a dumbshit like she was a plot device or something.

She should have just repeated (several dozen times) "Is your bloody honor worth dying for Jon Snow?" but it's just not as catchy.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Wait, if Harold Parrineau gets to appear so he can kill her off, this is acceptable.

Uh, definitely we need a ban for this. Nobody summons Michael and gets away with it.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

When I read the books I tried my hardest to imagine "the mountain that rides" as Shaq, just because I thought it was hilarious.

I imagine Jon Connington as a jaded Charles Barkley and Young Griff/Aegon as Hoopz, who will come to King's Landing, see nothing worth saving and reach into his arsenal of verboten jams and throw down a monster Chaos Dunk, destroying the corrupt city once and for all.

Who needs dragons when you have the power of b-ball on your side?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Contra Calculus posted:

She wasn't even around long enough for me to find her annoying (she was around for like... not even half a book?)

I'd add on a more meaningless level that I don't like her name and that it's ugly to look at.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

But because of Tolkien, all fantasy must use British English of some variety or other. Everyone falling into the same umbrella of "British accents that Americans can still understand" is enough of a stretch that any other complaints pale in comparison.

How is Tolkien responsible for this when he's actually invented languages for his different fantasy peoples?

Contra Calculus posted:

Maybe people just really hate gingers or something and that's why Cat, Sansa, and Ygritte are disliked.

Don't forget Ros and Rob.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Jon Connington is a ginger and everybody here is rightfully super gay for him, so... Trope averted.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Joramun posted:

Jon Connington is a ginger and everybody here is rightfully super gay for him, so... Trope averted.

Well I was super gay for him but then you pointed out he was a ginger, so I hope he dies of greyscaledick :mad:

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Griffins are blond Adonis's of the cryptozoological world so he's obviously not a ginger you assholes

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The gently caress is wrong with being ginger?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

mind the walrus posted:

The gently caress is wrong with being ginger?

Nothing if you're a dude (Robb, Griff). Then you're a sexy devil that bookreaders are totes gay for.

But if you're a woman with red hair, you're literally Hitler2 (Catelyn, Ygritte, Sansa).

Also, the show has only three episodes to make TVIV care about Robb. I'm sensing that the red wedding will have zero impact on show watchers because we've spent all our "Robb is a legit contender" time on Theon and non-book scenes like Ros, or Varys capturing his former sorceror/slaver.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 10, 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've yet to meet a man who hated ginger women who hadn't also had his heart broken by one.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

mind the walrus posted:

I've yet to meet a man who hated ginger women who hadn't also had his heart broken by one.

It is known.

So what convention attendee with orange locks rejected GRRM's slimy gropes?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

General Bort posted:

Aegon was definitely his plan at least since Kings Landing got sacked. Dany and Viserys were supposed to distract from him but also to provide him with Dothraki riders when Westeros is hosed enough. But of course then Viserys and Drogo got killed and the Plan had to change. The Golden Company actually complains about it in one of Griffs chapters.

I think GRRM mentions in an Interview that Varys is not aware about the Dorne Plot. Which BTW is incredibly poorly thought out. Your decades long plan for Revenge hings on the survival of Viserys or at least Dany. You can't even send some Advisors or Sellswords in secret to protect them Prince of Dorne?

All of this shows that the best way to play the Game is like Littlefinger or I guess Tywin. Secret yearlong conspiracys never work out because something comes that you couldn't see and fucks everything up.

I assume Dorne made a deal with Illirio right? I guess Ill and Vary aren't as tight as I thought. I thought they were on team Merman together?!

Joramun posted:

Same goes for Margaery and her significantly expanded presence and prominence on the show compared to the books. Since the Gurm gave the showrunners outlines of what's going to happen in the last two books, she could well be one of endgame's main players and threats despite her position currently seeming kind of neutered as of the end of ADWD. But we know how easily things like that can turn around again.

That's not to say there will actually be any real sort of endgame at all like in, say, Harry Potter, LOTR or Wheel of Time. The message of ASoIaF in the end could well be that the game of thrones is simply neverending and there will just always be new players rising up and stepping to the plate. A perpetual carousel. That'd be a very Gurmy conclusion and, after the last two books, one I could totally see the series heading for.

I'm actually hoping that is the conclusion grrm goes for. He can't wrap everything up, and I think it would make him money hand over fist in the long run. I'm trying to think of a book that does that... maybe the dune stuff? its like - welp! poo poo is hosed up but at least we got some golden path going on here! That isn't really what I mean, but if anyone can make some suggestions of books that end that way, that would be awesome. Sort of like "The Wire". The game just keeps going on yo. Made me think of this episode of Aeon Flux. Sorry for the link - you ahve to watch all kinds of lovely ads to see it: http://liquidtelevision.com/video/aeon-flux-short-war/

Chinston Wurchill posted:

The size mismatch joke with him having trouble pulling over her hood or veil or whatever is made-for-TV.

yeah it will. they will probably do it, and itll be good. just feels like a bit of a waste of time plotwise.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

bigmcgaffney posted:

Griffins are blond Adonis's of the cryptozoological world so he's obviously not a ginger you assholes

Guess again.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
My h
My head canon is best so gently caress you. Who ever heard of a red griffon. Thats st/pid as gently caress. I hate this thread next thing you'll say dolorous edd is straight dont mess with me like that also Jon snow invented cunnilingus he's like my fantasy doppelgänger except for the fact that Jon snow is terrible and I'm gay for Oberyn Martell the Lords Kiss am I right Boys will be Boys

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

So the fandom is basically saying Jon Connington is the dude they have for Giantsbane in the TV show?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
JonCon is more twinky. :swoon:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

JonCon is more twinky. :swoon:

And Robb is an otter.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

mind the walrus posted:

I've never understood the obsession with redheads. They're nothing special, they're even kind of more inferior than otherwise since every single one of them is hated by the yellow face, preciouses.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Also, the show has only three episodes to make TVIV care about Robb. I'm sensing that the red wedding will have zero impact on show watchers because we've spent all our "Robb is a legit contender" time on Theon and non-book scenes like Ros, or Varys capturing his former sorceror/slaver.

I challenge the implied assertion that book readers cared about Robb and thought he was a legit contender, or that we spent any sort of time on him.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Every GoT viewer will still be weeping buckets over the RW episode, not because of Robb or Catelyn dying, but because of Grey Wind. It'll be like Marley & Me and nobody will be able to keep their cheeks dry.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I keep not posting in the other thread because, gently caress it, but they have been arguing for three pages about what the greyjoy words mean. They live on lovely barren rocks and they literally can't grow wheat. You can take them as a declaration of viking intent or a sour grapes "who wants to till the loving soil anyway" gripe, or even a charlie brown-esque "I guess we just suck at agriculture" resignation but why is this argument still going on.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

But if you're a woman with red hair, you're literally Hitler2 (Catelyn, Ygritte, Sansa).

I'm not that bad :smith:

I've never understood the obsession with redheads. They're nothing special, they're even kind of more inferior than otherwise since every single one of them is hated by the yellow face, preciouses.

We don't care for you either, buddy! :argh:

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

kcroy posted:

I assume Dorne made a deal with Illirio right? I guess Ill and Vary aren't as tight as I thought. I thought they were on team Merman together?!

In one of the released Winter chapters Doran sends Arianne to Aegon because he has no idea if he is the real deal so I doubt he works with Illyrios together in anyway. At least this Targaryn doesn't have any dragons, but maybe she get trampled to death by an elephant :v:

Joramun posted:

Every GoT viewer will still be weeping buckets over the RW episode, not because of Robb or Catelyn dying, but because of Grey Wind. It'll be like Marley & Me and nobody will be able to keep their cheeks dry.

Were they pissed of about Lady? I can't remember.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

General Bort posted:

Were they pissed of about Lady? I can't remember.

Lady's head wasn't mounted on Sansa's corpse.

But anyway, I'd argue show viewers are more invested in Robb than book readers because they actually get some Robb that isn't Catelyn's point of view, and also there's a significant chunk that thinks he's dreamy.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Rarity posted:

I'm not that bad :smith:

Wait, so Rarity is:

• a lesbian
  • a redhead
  • computer and internet savvy
  • jolly and complaisant, with the occasional streak of power-hungry megalomania

Willow Rosenberg account spotted.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Joramun posted:

Wait, so Rarity is:

• a lesbian
  • a redhead
  • computer and internet savvy
  • jolly and complaisant, with the occasional streak of power-hungry megalomania

Willow Rosenberg account spotted.

Well I'll be damned :aaaaa:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Rarity posted:

Hey, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being a degenerate subhuman mongrel. Some of my best friends are filthy cockroaches.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Hey, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being a degenerate subhuman mongrel. Some of my best friends are filthy cockroaches.

The best thing about our degenerate subhuman mongrel DNA is that it could be in you right now, lurking, waiting for its chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh hey, wait! What do people think of Melissandre? This is important for my 'GURM-readers and HBO show-watchers hate ginger women for some reason' theory since she is literally the reddest head.