Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

Jesus Christ, I don't even remember this. How the gently caress did I get ANY enjoyment out of this when I was younger?

Because you weren't some idiot that tried to do unarmored X run's without taking damage. Hideofbeast is still awesome for that tho :D
Seriously i still love X6 and it's probably my favorite out of X4-6. The music just rocks, the gimmicks are cool and the difficulty is just brutal. Proper megaman.
If im not mistaken this game also let you retry bossfights for as long as you wanted without throwing you back to the start like im certain X4 does.

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Humans Among Us posted:

The music just rocks, the gimmicks are cool and the difficulty is just brutal.

So I can agree with the first and last points, but in what possible way were X6's gimmicks cool?

Humans Among Us posted:

If im not mistaken this game also let you retry bossfights for as long as you wanted without throwing you back to the start like im certain X4 does.

Yeah, because the stages were so horseshit that the designers literally had to give players infinite lives to make it through them.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
To be fair, infinite lives should really have been a thing in every post-SNES platformer. It really becomes obvious how bullshit the idea of restarting from the very start of a level when you play something with a difficulty level higher than "moderate". Trying to replay ZX Advent's Hard mode is an excercise in tedium, because you have to replay the entire thing to beat the part you died to. Same for Mega Man 10.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So that Sonic-Megaman crossover comic event is in full swing now.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ahahaha Shadow Man's chest hair looks like a beard. :allears:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Hehehe

http://mmxz.zophar.net/megamanxz/megamanx6/stages.shtml

Comon man. Just look at those screenies. I remember all those levels fondly because they all had some interesting stuff in them. Add the overarching gimmick of changing level attributes based on which stage you visited previously. Sure some of them places had blind jumps and regular bullshit jumps over instakill spikes but whatever. I still enjoy them (gently caress metal shark player tho).
I made peace with the concept that the game was unreasonable and unfair pretty quick and occasionally got very angry with it but to me that's also part of it's charm. You could tell there was a couple of ways to make it easier or more difficult on yourself and finding those out was pretty fun.

Anyway, for some perspective i feel X4 is probably more faithful to the franchise and also a great platformer but i have more difficulty with it and haven't actually beaten it. Whereas i beat X6 at least twice. X5 was the least entertaining for me for some reason.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Humans Among Us posted:

Because you weren't some idiot that tried to do unarmored X run's without taking damage. Hideofbeast is still awesome for that tho :D
Seriously i still love X6 and it's probably my favorite out of X4-6. The music just rocks, the gimmicks are cool and the difficulty is just brutal. Proper megaman.

Because when I think of cool, enjoyable gimmicks, I think of fighting a red donut 5 times and annoying screen effects that make it impossible to see. Also, reploid rescue. Seriously, what? :psyduck:

Like, it's fine if you like X6. But let's not whitewash all the bullshit. I mean, look at Nightmare Mother for gently caress's sake. That is not how you make a good platformer boss at all. It doesn't matter that X6 is hard. The Zero games are hard too, but they don't resort to obnoxious traps and screen fuckery like X6.

AHungryRobot fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 9, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kelp Plankton posted:

So that Sonic-Megaman crossover comic event is in full swing now.

No words can summarize how beautiful that image is.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Oh also Wily and Robotnik built a combination Wily Castle/Death Egg called the Wily Egg. Which is a name so dumb it's great. They're basically Mad Science Bros and get along so well, they're the best part of it. :allears:

I kind of wish this was an actual videogame.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TaurusOxford posted:

No words can summarize how beautiful that image is.

I'd play a real SonicXMega Man game where you played the role of Dr. Wily and Dr. Robotnik, trying to consolidate your early successes before Mega Man and Sonic inevitably ruin your poo poo. Just give me after level cutscenes where Wily and Robotnik are being awesome and I'd be happy.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I'm not sure that I trust Capcom or Sega to make that game. Or any Sonic or Megaman game.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I'm not sure that I trust Capcom or Sega to make that game. Or any Sonic or Megaman game.

Typical entitled Mega Man fan. If you wanted something better than XOver, you should have shown more support. As in, made half of the game yourself. :colbert:

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!
Shadow Man should have arm cannons.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Have they ever done D-Arts level (or close to it) figures of any of the Robot Masters? I really want that D-arts Mega Man, but I wanna give him someone cool to fire his buster at.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Humans Among Us posted:

X5 was the least entertaining for me for some reason.

Probably because it was goddamned easy, and you aren't entertained by robot masters named after old rock stars.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

AHungryRobot posted:

Typical entitled Mega Man fan. If you wanted something better than XOver, you should have shown more support. As in, made half of the game yourself. :colbert:

Megaman plays like his Classic self (eight weapon load-out to compensate for slower movement). Sonic plays like Zero (walljump, forward dash, spindash acts like a saber).

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Have they ever done D-Arts level (or close to it) figures of any of the Robot Masters? I really want that D-arts Mega Man, but I wanna give him someone cool to fire his buster at.

Pharaoh Man and Magma Dragoon please. If they only get to make 2, let it be those 2.

Or Bubble Man. Bless that chubby kid.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
I'm doing X5 on Xtreme as Unarmored X, and my god is U-555 a piece of poo poo. Probably the hardest part of the entire run. At least when you decide to start of with Duff Mcwhalen :v:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Probably because it was goddamned easy, and you aren't entertained by robot masters named after old rock stars.

It might have had something to do with a couple of my PS disks being damaged and the music stuttering like crazy, making the game annoying on a very special level. :arghfist:

Btw, the red donut level is intense and when your finally done with it you are actually a much better player, and probably ready to tackle some of the horrible castle maps.
Haha don't mind me defending one of the games regarded widely as the worst in the series :angel:

AHungryRobot posted:

I'm doing X5 on Xtreme as Unarmored X, and my god is U-555 a piece of poo poo. Probably the hardest part of the entire run. At least when you decide to start of with Duff Mcwhalen :v:
Makes sense to get that thing out of the way asap but yeahh...

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 9, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ka0 posted:

Pharaoh Man and Magma Dragoon please. If they only get to make 2, let it be those 2.

Or Bubble Man. Bless that chubby kid.

While I try to limit myself to one collecting hobby, I dunno if I could say no to a Magna Centipede figure. Luckily it's unlikely to ever happen!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

S-Alpha posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl6QM4hUft8

Pretty much the latter. It's ridiculous and stupid and awful.

I like this guy. He's droll and sluggish in his speech, but that somehow makes what he's saying all the more entertaining.

Humans Among Us posted:

Proper megaman.

Holy poo poo, no. No, no, no. X6 is an abomination, up until X6 I enjoyed each of the X games, even X5(aside from the Black Devil fight), but X6 is just a god drat mess, a loving badly-designed slog. If you like the donut fights, you're broken. Those were the worst.

I do like Metal Shark Player's design, though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I like this guy. He's droll and sluggish in his speech, but that somehow makes what he's saying all the more entertaining.

He's also a goon by the name of Violen, and yeah, his voiced-over videos are really entertaining. I don't know what led him to starting that challenge up, I would guess maybe the torture chamber thread, but I dunno. He's done all of X1-X6 in the same fashion, here's a playlist.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 9, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Humans Among Us posted:

Btw, the red donut level is intense and when your finally done with it you are actually a much better player, and probably ready to tackle some of the horrible castle maps.

Literally the only thing in Blaze Heatnix's stage that maps to Gate's Castle is that one dumb segment with rising lava. Except that part has enemies and ice everywhere instead of a stupid donut you just have to use the giga attack once to murder. So it's not very helpful.

Hell, Blaze Heatnix's level's big problem is that it's incredibly boring. There is one cool platforming segment, and then it's just the same easy boss over and over. You'd have to do what Violen did to squeeze challenge out of it, and even then it was mindnumbing, not intense.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 9, 2013

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Humans Among Us posted:

X5 was the least entertaining for me for some reason.
Alia.

And those Sonic robot masters have the laziest naming esepcially when there already was a Shadow Man before.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Captain Invictus posted:

That's SA user Violen and he is the best most insane person at megamans.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

KennyMan666 posted:

Alia.

And those Sonic robot masters have the laziest naming esepcially when there already was a Shadow Man before.

I know, they really don't live up to the series' high standards of creative naming.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

Alia.

Wily didn't make Shadow Man himself, so the old Shadow Man can just go find a new name.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

That's the joke :ssh:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Captain Invictus posted:

If you don't want to watch all of them, watch the Ground Scaravitch in the same run. The problem with top tier runs like that is that they have a tendency to make the game look laughably easy. Scaravitch's stage looks completely impossible, then Violen does it anyway.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 10, 2013

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Man am I going to get crucified. What's the appeal of Hitoshi Ariga's rockman? It's regular rockman with a bunch of squares on his legs and chest.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ka0 posted:

Man am I going to get crucified. What's the appeal of Hitoshi Ariga's rockman? It's regular rockman with a bunch of squares on his legs and chest.

He looks slightly more like a robot superhero than Astroboy with a blue paintjob. Also, Hitoshi Ariga came up with The Big O, so he deserves props for that.

Seriously, Big O is basically Batman with a giant robot. That's loving awesome.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I like Hitoshi Ariga's redesign, possibly even better than the original, but it's not different enough that I'd prefer it over, say, a new character.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

I like Hitoshi Ariga's redesign, possibly even better than the original, but it's not different enough that I'd prefer it over, say, a new character.

It isn't different at all. It's Megaman with a couple boxes drawn on. I really don't see anything postworthy about this "redesign".

EDIT: His Dr. Wily is postworthy though, just for being cold as ice:

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 17, 2013

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I want to own Dr. Wily's skull tie.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It isn't different at all. It's Megaman with a couple boxes drawn on. I really don't see anything postworthy about this "redesign".

That and his proportions are different, but it's like asking for separate figures based on the official art from Mega Man 3-6 and one based on the Mega Man 8 art. That said, I would be so disappointed if he won the poll, because basically everything else on there is a better choice.

I would love X2 Armor, Vile's ride armor, Protoman, Duo, Megaman Volnutt, Tron Bonne, basically any robot master at all...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Just out of curiosity, did anyone else read the long-running Mega Man fanfic series over on http://mmhp.net/TheSeries/ ?

They've been around for years, and I used to love the poo poo out of them when I was a kid. Going back to them now, its painfully obvious that they're an amateur effort, but the author just seems to be having so much fun with it that I can't help but enjoy them.

I also think someone on the Archie comics team that does the Mega Man comic has read them, because there are a couple of concepts from the fanfics that show up in the comics (That said, it could just be a coincidence [that said, they've shown that they will drop references to fanworks, Auto at one point quotes one of brentalfloss' Mega Man-with-Lyrics videos])

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

jivjov posted:

Just out of curiosity, did anyone else read the long-running Mega Man fanfic series over on http://mmhp.net/TheSeries/ ?

They've been around for years, and I used to love the poo poo out of them when I was a kid. Going back to them now, its painfully obvious that they're an amateur effort, but the author just seems to be having so much fun with it that I can't help but enjoy them.

I also think someone on the Archie comics team that does the Mega Man comic has read them, because there are a couple of concepts from the fanfics that show up in the comics (That said, it could just be a coincidence [that said, they've shown that they will drop references to fanworks, Auto at one point quotes one of brentalfloss' Mega Man-with-Lyrics videos])

I thought I was the only one!

Yeah, I really can't read them anymore like I did when I was young, but still. :allears: I'm glad to see it still exists.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I read the hell out of them when I was younger, and even wrote my own. It was a story where Mega Man is transported to a world where Dr. Light was the one that turned evil, and in the end had to find a way to defeat himself as well as the prototype X.

I wrote this like six years ago, when trust me, I was far too old to be writing such a thing.

By the way, he used ice slasher to beat himself, and because X's armor was impenetrable, tricked him into charging his buster as far as it would go for a quick execution, cupped his Mega Buster to the X buster and fired his own fully charged shot directly into the cannon, causing all the energy to cascade and tear X up from the inside.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Beamed posted:

I thought I was the only one!

My college roommate said the same thing when he saw me on the site. Its kinda amazing that more than a handful of people stumbled across that site.

Fun Fact: there's a Sonic/Mega Man crossover story in there somewhere, and Robotnik and Wily have the same Mad Science Bros relationship they do in the official comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

jivjov posted:

My college roommate said the same thing when he saw me on the site. Its kinda amazing that more than a handful of people stumbled across that site.
I mean, the webmaster has said in the past that she has had trouble with a heavy load, but I figured she never expected more than a couple thousand. I guess she did have a pretty popular website for awhile.