Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Can someone suggest a lighthearted action show along the lines of Gurren Lagaan/E7?
Outlaw Star, if you can handle 90s animations and the 90s in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

One little detail that people who missed the broadcast run miss out on: That episode where we see Kiritsugu's relationship with the mage hunter who essentially raised him like a (messed-up) son, leading to him ultimately killing her with the world's most emotional surface-to-air missile launch? It aired almost a year ago to the day, just in time for the second Sunday in May.

Happy Mother's Day!

Well, that's a bit awkward. He did in a sense kill his own mother, even if she wasn't biologically his mother.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Roger sounds fine in The Big O, and I don't say that about many dub voices. The trouble is everyone else.

Beck, the Japanese businessmen, and Norman all compete pretty well with their Japanese language counterparts. I like Dorothy's english VA over the Japanese. I'm in agreement about everyone else.

e: Schwarzwald isn't bad either, but hey

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

And then Alexander the Great died at around the time he died in real life, and Kiritsugu shot his daughter in the face just in time for Father's Day. Fate/Zero had the best content to air time schedule.

Those are either some really convenient coincidences or someone at ufotable's got a messed up imagination.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

Baccano, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Tiger & Bunny, FMA: Brotherhood, Steins;Gate, just to name a few that I'd recommend. That said, these days almost any dub at all is going to be perfectly fine. This isn't the 90s, where dubbing was incredibly hit or miss and sometimes a show just got completely butchered.

This list needs more Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. Possibly the best dub ever. Especially in the Transformers episode.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I tried out Tiger and Bunny. It's a good show, but a bit too shounen and silly for my tastes.

I guess I'm looking for something that's serious about its plot and characters but isn't afraid to also be entertaining and amusing every now and then.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 10, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tiger and Bunny gets serious about its plot and characters once it gets going, though iunno if you wanna wait the five or so episodes it spends setting up the cast before getting the 'plot' ball rolling.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

ViggyNash posted:

I tried out Tiger and Bunny. It's a good show, but a bit too shounen and silly for my tastes.

I guess I'm looking for something that's serious about its plot and characters but isn't afraid to also be entertaining and amusing every now and then.

Yeah thats tiger and bunny dude. Give it a few episodes, it gets a little darker than you would expect.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

ViggyNash posted:

Code Geass?

Edit: Also, stick with Tiger and Bunny. It gets better.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Cake Attack posted:

Bambino is probably perfect for you.

Thank you. I'm fifty chapters in, and this is just so amazing. Great food action and the drama is actually legit good! Also I like how the characters call him Ban-Chan because it refers to side dishes in Korean. I don't know if that's intentional considering it's a Japanese manga, but it gets me everytime

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

And then Alexander the Great died at around the time he died in real life, and Kiritsugu shot his daughter in the face just in time for Father's Day. Fate/Zero had the best content to air time schedule.

On a similar note, Crunchyroll uploaded the final episode of Madoka Magica on Good Friday.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I guess I'll watch it later, but I ended up starting Daily Lives of High School Boys.

Hold up a second I gotta laugh my intestines out.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

ViggyNash posted:

I guess I'll watch it later, but I ended up starting Daily Lives of High School Boys.

Hold up a second I gotta laugh my intestines out.

So Tiger & Bunny was too silly for you but Daily Lives of High School Boys was just right? :psyduck:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

So Tiger & Bunny was too silly for you but Daily Lives of High School Boys was just right? :psyduck:

Tiger and Bunny was sometimes amusing, but kind of expectedly so. You know it's coming, but it's still interesting and sometimes funny enough to laugh at.

Daily Lives of High School Boys kicks you in the balls then suplexes you for good measure. Not unlike Nichijou.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 10, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's kind of apples and oranges, they're two different kinds of show with likely two different sets of expectations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Nichibros is still great, though, so no problems there. But seriously, give Wild Tiger a chance, he will warm your heart in ways you thought impossible.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I didn't start Daily Lives as a logical step from T&B. I saw it on the wiki, thought I'd watch it. I never suggested any relation. They are quite different shows.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where do I find anime dubs? Like legally.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Buy DVDs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Watch Adult Swim, they're probably still playing the Cowboy Bebop dub. :v:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hulu has some shows with both dubs and subs, and most, if not all, of the anime on Netflix is dubbed too.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

Go to a store and buy them; or Netflix, amazon, best buy? You have purchased media before yes?

Dubs are only made by media companies, so you basically have to find the licensed goods. There's a few anime blocks on television (adult swim) and those are always dubbed.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Turtlicious posted:

Funimation streams almost everything they license. Some of the dubs are available free, some require a subscription.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turtlicious posted:

If you're in Australia, Madman Entertainment streams a few of the series they've licensed on their website.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Wow. Nichibros took SURPRISE BITCHES it was all a dream to a whole new level.

Also there was not a single suplex. I'm disappointed.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Redcrimson posted:

Funimation streams almost everything they license. Some of the dubs are available free, some require a subscription.

They cycle through free and subscription though. I watched all of FMA: Brotherhood dubbed for free but it wasn't free when I started checking and I don't think it's free now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

Wow. Nichibros took SURPRISE BITCHES it was all a dream to a whole new level.

Also there was not a single suplex. I'm disappointed.
Sounds to me like you should watch FMP? Fumoffu next.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Sounds to me like you should watch FMP? Fumoffu next.

I guess a high school boy is close enough to a deer.

I'll definitely check out FMP.
e: Thanks for recommending FMP. It's definitely not the best out there Let's be frank, it's absolutely terrible when it's trying to be serious, but hell if it isn't entertaining. But that female general(?) is so shamefully and overtly moe I can barely deal with it. Thankfully she isn't that big a part of the show.

Side question: Where might a buy a digital copy of all of the Fate/Zero music?

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 10, 2013

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

ViggyNash posted:

e: Thanks for recommending FMP. It's definitely not the best out there Let's be frank, it's absolutely terrible when it's trying to be serious, but hell if it isn't entertaining. But that female general(?) is so shamefully and overtly moe I can barely deal with it. Thankfully she isn't that big a part of the show.
That is why we recommend FMP Fumoffu instead of the first season.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh? I didn't realize there was a difference.

Anyway, I'm actually enjoying the first season. Whenever it's serious, it's so cheesy or bad that it's hilarious. When it isn't, it's decent comedy.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

Oh? I didn't realize there was a difference.

Anyway, I'm actually enjoying the first season. Whenever it's serious, it's so cheesy or bad that it's hilarious. When it isn't, it's decent comedy.

The comedy bits wouldn't be nearly as funny without the serious side.

I really liked the first season, even if the last arc dragged :gonzo: :Gonzo: :Gonzo:

Actually, truth be told, it's the only season of FMP I've watched. I've heard such good things about fumafu, but then there's that loving bear thing on the cover art and I can't imagine giving a gently caress, and because of that I never checked out the second season.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The bear thing is just Sousuke in a mascot suit. It's not actually a character in and of itself. The entire gag is that he's a super soldier in a stupid mascot suit.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Actually, it's power armor :spergin: He used Arm Slave technology to turn a mascot costume into power armor.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The suit is also equipped with a miniaturized Lambda Driver in case of emergencies. YOU CAN'T STOP THE BEAR.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ViggyNash posted:

Side question: Where might a buy a digital copy of all of the Fate/Zero music?

The Fate/Zero OST is only available as a bonus to the Bluray disc sets, which cost a little under seven hundred dollars at rightstuf.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

The Fate/Zero OST is only available as a bonus to the Bluray disc sets, which cost a little under seven hundred dollars at rightstuf.

WHAAA...?

I guess a Youtube playlist works too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I don't really remember any part of its soundtrack being all that great except for the remix of Sword of Promised Victory.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I was pretty disappointed they didn't use This version of Emiya from the radio drama, personally.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Blhue posted:

I don't really remember any part of its soundtrack being all that great except for the remix of Sword of Promised Victory.

What are you talking about? The majority of it is fantastic. Hell, the music was good enough to sometimes distract me during the show itself.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Tonight, I'll start watching LoGH... however, since I'm pretty much just going to watch that for the rest of the year on Fridays, I need a further recommendation for the weekends: Can you recommend me something creepy to read or watch?

Now, when I say creepy, I say in a sense of something akin to Horror or Thriller, not like... you know, skeevy :pedo: bullshit or anything of the sort. Something that makes you cringe because you can't help but to get this feeling of complete helplessness when watching the characters. Like what the Silent Hill series had going for it on the original tetralogy or Shiki on its more :suspense: moments.

• Locked thread