Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mareep
Dec 26, 2009

That trailer looks like hot garbage and it irritates me because regardless of your opinion on the books, I think a minimalistic, more introspective take on Ender's Game could have been pretty amazing. Now it looks like they shut Tron: Legacy and Hunger Games in a room together and Ender's Game came back out. It just looks tacky as hell. If anything I never would have pegged Ender's Game as anything resembling an action movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
:siren: GRAVITY TEASER TRAILER IS FINALLY HERE :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufsrgE0BYf0

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Benne posted:

"Ah! Hu hu hu. Ah! Hu hu hu. Ah! Hu hu hu."

e: This is actually a really pretty looking movie though.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 10, 2013

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Benne posted:

holy gently caress :suspense:

the extra production time has certainly paid off in the cg dept

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Goddamn do I hope there are space demons in that movie.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Sunshine 2?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Can't wait to see more of Cuarón's trademark single-shot sequences :suspense:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Alehkhs posted:

Oh drat I didn't even think of that. Some of those teaser shots felt almost claustrophobic which is amazing considering its space. I didn't even know about this movie until just now and I'm already on board.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gonz posted:

Goddamn do I hope there are space demons in that movie.

And then Sandra Bullock is a zombie?

I can't breath just looking at that. It's also beautiful.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Holy poo poo, I was not expecting that trailer to be as scary as it was.

ghableska
Jul 9, 2008

The MSJ posted:

And then Sandra Bullock is a zombie?

I can't breath just looking at that. It's also beautiful.

It also features a beautiful piece of music by Arvo Pärt called Spiegel im Spiegel.

The Wikipedia page says that Steven Price is doing the soundtrack. Does anyone know much about him? I can't imagine this being the type of film to use much music besides some ambient atmospheric stuff.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Alehkhs posted:

I seem to remember there was talk of some absolutely insane 7 minute single shot at the beginning - in Inception-style zero-gee.

Although give how long this has been in development who knows what actually made it in. Based on the trailer and Cuarón though it's going to be a trip :magical:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Terrifying Effigies posted:

I seem to remember there was talk of some absolutely insane 7 minute single shot at the beginning - in Inception-style zero-gee.

Although give how long this has been in development who knows what actually made it in. Based on the trailer and Cuarón though it's going to be a trip :magical:

7 minutes was the longest single-shot sequence in Children of Men. The opening single-shot sequence for Gravity is supposedly over 20 minutes long.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Alehkhs posted:

7 minutes was the longest single-shot sequence in Children of Men. The opening single-shot sequence for Gravity is supposedly over 20 minutes long.

Can one not blink for 20 minutes?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
drat.

I thought Gravity was going to be science fiction movie instead, it looks like it’s going to be limited location survival thriller IN loving SPACE! I cannot wait to see this.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Alehkhs posted:

20 minutes

20 minutes

Consider myself corrected :shepicide:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Terrifying Effigies posted:

20 minutes

20 minutes

Consider myself corrected :shepicide:

I mean, none of the shots in that movie were actually as long as they appeared- all of them were stitched together from smaller shots. I'm not saying that necessarily takes anything away from it- it's still a wonderful movie and even if those tracking shots at half their actual length they are all immensely impressive.

edit: Also that teaser was absolutely breathtaking. I might care too much about space and the ISS to stomach watching something so scary...

I'm rarely tempted to keep myself in the dark about a movie's plot- can anyone with some familiarity of the film say whether this is one where it's best to go in blind? I know obviously no one has seen it, but for some strange reason I'm feeling the impulse to resist reading up about it. Like, I'm not even entirely sure what genre this movie is going to be- horror, hard sci-fi...?

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 10, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That Gravity trailer actually made my loving stomach churn.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
As long as there aren't any space zombies ill be there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PaganGoatPants posted:

As long as there aren't any space zombies ill be there.

So you're saying you're not against space vampires. All right.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
As far as I know it's a drama about a scientist and an astronaut being cut off from Earth in a damaged space station.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
President Jed Bartlett will send the secret military space shuttle to rescue them.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That trailer was fantastic. I'm officially hyped for that movie now. I don't need to see anything else at all. Just bring on the movie.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Wow. I didn't know this was coming! That looks great.
I almost want to see it in 3D. And that is the only movie I've ever said that. It could be horrific.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Imagining watching that movie in IMAX 3D is almost giving me an anxiety attack already.

I can't loving wait.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So you're saying you're not against space vampires. All right.

They already made that movie and it was fantastic. :colbert:

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
on Gravity:

I used to do some scuba diving, and while I'm very relaxed about it, having to start a dive in a part of the sea where I couldn't see the bottom terrified me. Watching the trailer gave me the same feeling. I really want to see this film though.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What do you guys think of this trailer for Brian De Palma's 2002 film Femme Fatale?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGttEqkwGBo

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Benne posted:

I'll take 90 minutes of an astronaut floating in space, thank you very much.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Not sure what to think of Gravity yet, but the visuals were pretty striking in that trailer alone so it looks to be a beautiful piece at least

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I'm reading in multiple sources that Gravity's 3d is post-converted. Think that process has potential on a project like this or is it gonna be hokey horseshit like usual?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It really depends upon how much of the movie is set in space. Space is a pretty sparse thing. If you have an astronaut in the foreground and the space station in the background, there's no real way to tell the distance between them unless you're already familiar with the size of both objects. There's nothing else out there to help you measure distance. The Earth? Well that's so big and so far away as to not be any help. There are some scenes in space (as in outside of the station) where 3D would work, but they're the ones where everything is being torn apart. After everything's all torn apart, it goes back to being useless as there are still no visual identifiers to help you gauge distance, and all of the debris is of an unknown size so you wouldn't be able to use those either.

I really don't see 3D being an addition to the movie at all if the majority of it is in space. And when you consider that space is a rather dark place and 3D makes things even darker - it would only detract from the movie. But that's all under the assumption that the movie is focused mainly around the people stranded in space after that happens. If the focus is on rescue mission planning on Earth, a space ship, or the space station (pre-destruction) then it might useful. Even then it's probably no different than all other post-converted 3D.

e: Space is a dark place, except for when they're exposed to the sun - at which point half of them would be fairly well lit. The ISS orbits too fast for them to never be in the Earth's shadow though.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 10, 2013

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
This is pretty much the movie I always wanted to see. I loving love space and anything that takes place in space, so this trailer made me incredibly excited. Can't wait.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

I mean, none of the shots in that movie were actually as long as they appeared- all of them were stitched together from smaller shots. I'm not saying that necessarily takes anything away from it- it's still a wonderful movie and even if those tracking shots at half their actual length they are all immensely impressive.

edit: Also that teaser was absolutely breathtaking. I might care too much about space and the ISS to stomach watching something so scary...

I'm rarely tempted to keep myself in the dark about a movie's plot- can anyone with some familiarity of the film say whether this is one where it's best to go in blind? I know obviously no one has seen it, but for some strange reason I'm feeling the impulse to resist reading up about it. Like, I'm not even entirely sure what genre this movie is going to be- horror, hard sci-fi...?

I'd not heard of it before now and couldn't really find any in-depth info on the film's actual contents. There are some informal type reviews I found skimming the first page of Google that were also relatively vague. That being said with a movie like this I think it's better to go in as blind as you can.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

TTBF posted:

It really depends upon how much of the movie is set in space. Space is a pretty sparse thing. If you have an astronaut in the foreground and the space station in the background, there's no real way to tell the distance between them unless you're already familiar with the size of both objects. There's nothing else out there to help you measure distance. The Earth? Well that's so big and so far away as to not be any help. There are some scenes in space (as in outside of the station) where 3D would work, but they're the ones where everything is being torn apart. After everything's all torn apart, it goes back to being useless as there are still no visual identifiers to help you gauge distance, and all of the debris is of an unknown size so you wouldn't be able to use those either.

I really don't see 3D being an addition to the movie at all if the majority of it is in space. And when you consider that space is a rather dark place and 3D makes things even darker - it would only detract from the movie. But that's all under the assumption that the movie is focused mainly around the people stranded in space after that happens. If the focus is on rescue mission planning on Earth, a space ship, or the space station (pre-destruction) then it might useful. Even then it's probably no different than all other post-converted 3D.

e: Space is a dark place, except for when they're exposed to the sun - at which point half of them would be fairly well lit. The ISS orbits too fast for them to never be in the Earth's shadow though.

Obviously Avatar wasn't post-processed, but if this movie were also filmed specifically for 3D (and some of Clooney's comments seem to suggest it was), then I think one of the advantages is in creating a sense of scale. Amidst all of the other technical triumphs of Avatar, the one thing that I always remember was just how enormous the 3D was able to make certain elements of the film appear. I imagine having an astronaut floating around with a properly 3D earth in the background could be jaw-dropping if done well. Also in the teaser there's a shot of one of the astronauts reaching right up to the camera to grab a rogue screw that seems like a pretty big hint as to how critical the 3D might be.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
There are a WHOLE bunch of shots in that trailer that make it seem like 3D was intended, even if it was post-converted. Seriously, watch the trailer again specifically looking for shots that would be crazy in 3D, it's full of them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

First 4 minutes of "Now You See Me" are pretty great.

http://www.hitfix.com/news/first-4-minutes-of-now-you-see-me-starring-jesse-eisenberg-and-isla-fisher-watch

loving first magic trick and I'm already hooked. How the gently caress did the movie pick the right card I was thinking of.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

teagone posted:

First 4 minutes of "Now You See Me" are pretty great.

http://www.hitfix.com/news/first-4-minutes-of-now-you-see-me-starring-jesse-eisenberg-and-isla-fisher-watch

loving first magic trick and I'm already hooked. How the gently caress did the movie pick the right card I was thinking of.

Forcing, it's literally one of the oldest tricks in the book.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hasters posted:

Forcing, it's literally one of the oldest tricks in the book.

Well now I feel silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
When he's flipping through the cards there's a couple extra frames on the 7 of diamonds than any of the others. The 7 of diamonds is shown clearly and distinctly compared to all the others which are blurry, so it's the one your brain picks out.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 10, 2013

• Locked thread