Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

So I've been out of model building for about five months and looking to get back into it. What's the general consensus of the MG Qubeley/Qubeley Mk-II? Haman was one of my favorite characters from Zeta and ZZ, but I really like the color for Ple/Puru/Pull 2's Qubeley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=623968567631647&set=a.620897637938740.1073741873.527152043979967&type=3&theater

So Regulation Center wants to make a comeback after that failure of a 1/100 Nightingale with a MG Gerbera Tetra. Looks solid from the pictures, but then again so did their Nightingale.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's here!

And wow is it ever a big box, that's a DVD for scale. The parts are so intricately detailed, no matter how small. Now I need to finish my Hind Kind build before I start on this. I officially have a backlog!

What's the deal with Regulation Center? Is it a company like Bandai or Kotobukiya, but with less success?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ACanofPepsi posted:

What's the deal with Regulation Center? Is it a company like Bandai or Kotobukiya, but with less success?

Regulation Center is a third-party group that mostly specializes in resin conversion kits but recently started trying to do plastic models based off of resin kits. Their first attempt at this was a 1/100 scale Nightingale, which looked promising because of images like this:

Sadly, the final product did NOT match its promotion pictures and we got something more like this:

http://gundamph.com/gundam-news-updates/rc-1100-nightingale-potential-flaws-defect-and-problems/

Now they're trying again with a 1/100 MG Gerbera Tetra, which people are cautiously more optimistic about since it looks like RC have fixed the errors which plagued Nightingale.

Enjoy your MG Red Frame. It's a great kit. :)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
So I sent out an email to Bandai like two weeks ago to try and get a replacement part for my Scopedog. They actually emailed me back. Holy gently caress. Let's see if it actually works out, because one of the things they requested was an image of the export sticker, but I don't have that on this kit...

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Current WIP on Nu Gundam ver ka:

So far i'm very impressed with the build. And here's another pic showing off my current lead collection(in show order, of course):

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

ACanofPepsi posted:

It's here!

And wow is it ever a big box, that's a DVD for scale. The parts are so intricately detailed, no matter how small. Now I need to finish my Hind Kind build before I start on this. I officially have a backlog!

Now just make sure you orient the scabbards properly ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utVY9QqThDk

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So what's the opinion on PG GP01fb? I want to have a go at a PG and reviews of it on the net seem promising, but I want a goon opinion if anyone here even owns one.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

TaurusOxford posted:

So what's the opinion on PG GP01fb? I want to have a go at a PG and reviews of it on the net seem promising, but I want a goon opinion if anyone here even owns one.

I own one! It's pretty awesome-looking and fun to build. My only complaints are that some of the joints are kind of weak; the right elbow won't stay bent, and one of the joints that supports one of the backpack boosters on the FB version occasionally sags. It was one of my earlier builds, though, so maybe the above is due to minor goofs on my part.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
Having finally gotten around to watching Unicorn, I now desperately need more plastic on my desk. My question is, which Sinanju do I want? Is this one the best or is it this one? Similarly, is the Unicorn ver. Ka better or is the one that came several years later better? My experience with ver. Ka's is that they come with 8 billion tiny clear stickers that I won't use, and from the kits I've built it seems newer kits are generally better. Is this the case with these two mechs? I want the version that's superior mechanically; I don't care about tons of dumb little stickers.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Oblique Angle posted:

Having finally gotten around to watching Unicorn, I now desperately need more plastic on my desk. My question is, which Sinanju do I want? Is this one the best or is it this one? Similarly, is the Unicorn ver. Ka better or is the one that came several years later better? My experience with ver. Ka's is that they come with 8 billion tiny clear stickers that I won't use, and from the kits I've built it seems newer kits are generally better. Is this the case with these two mechs? I want the version that's superior mechanically; I don't care about tons of dumb little stickers.

Both kits are the exact same in terms of the assembly and the parts. The big difference between them is that the newer kit comes with a bazooka and the red is SLIGHTLY different. Here's a comparison pic, with Ver ka on the left, OVA on the right:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The joints on the ver ka are also a little bit tighter, and in some cases, almost dangerously slow, like on the waist joint peg.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Oblique Angle posted:

Similarly, is the Unicorn ver. Ka better or is the one that came several years later better?

I hear the OVA version fixed some of the issues with the joints, so probably that one. But if you really want a Unicorn, unless you're opposed to the color green you should probably snag the FA. It's the best engineered, though that doesn't mean it can stand up straight with all of the weapons attached.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Is the basic mobile suit part improved, or is it just all the poo poo tacked on to it that makes it better? The only real thing I'd want from the FA version is the katoki'd space launch you can make from the unicorn's fuel tanks

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The OVA Unicorn kit has a couple of modifications that make it better, like a big lump of plastic that blocked the waist rotation that's on the Ka. being removed. I don't know what version the FA is.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm pretty sure it's the OVA version. I kinda want to grab the MS cage one. Was the Ver. Ka able to put the bazooka on its waist or just the backpack?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

muike posted:

Is the basic mobile suit part improved, or is it just all the poo poo tacked on to it that makes it better? The only real thing I'd want from the FA version is the katoki'd space launch you can make from the unicorn's fuel tanks

Yeah, the joints are better and the legs were thickened a bit. This review does a brief comparison between FA and ver Ka. I'm not sure how the ver OVA and FA compare though, but FA was made later so it's probably better engineered. I doubt you could slap on all of those weapons on the OVA version and still have it stay standing.

EDIT: V Your wallet is probably thanking you then.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 5, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm not a fan of destroy mode, so I generally just pick whatever ends up looking and working best in Unicorn mode. The MS cage version is probably good enough for me unless I absolutely gotta have that subflight boogie board for my dumb unicorn robot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well, I finally got around to putting stickers on my RG Freedom Gundam and I think it looks a lot better with them. I didn't add every :spergin: little sticker, just the major ones and a few tiny ones to fill in noticeably-blank areas. There's one or two that're slightly askew, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

Taken without flash or auto focus, just because it was the only drat way I could to get the silver decals on the wings to show up.

And with proper flash and focus

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Currently working through the MG FAZZ, and drat this thing is a relic. No inner frame (not even on the legs, where a lot of other early MGs had one), barely any decals, the instructions are just 60 sequential steps, and from the feel of things it's not even made out of ABS plastic.

So on that note, I'm somewhat curious as to when MGs started to resemble their modern forms.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

BlitzBlast posted:

Currently working through the MG FAZZ, and drat this thing is a relic. No inner frame (not even on the legs, where a lot of other early MGs had one), barely any decals, the instructions are just 60 sequential steps, and from the feel of things it's not even made out of ABS plastic.

So on that note, I'm somewhat curious as to when MGs started to resemble their modern forms.

I'd hazard a guess of around 2003 with seed? There's a list of all the MGs released here, and some of the kits before that are listed as not having an inner frame. I have a MK-II 2.0 and its pretty solid, maybe not as fiddly as some modern kits but all the things that make it an MG are there, and that came out in 2005.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm currently building MG ZZ now, and you aren't kidding about this thing being a relic. I'm building this right after my MG Nu ver ka, and it feels like i've gone from building a PG to a 1/100 NG build.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm currently building MG ZZ now, and you aren't kidding about this thing being a relic. I'm building this right after my MG Nu ver ka, and it feels like i've gone from building a PG to a 1/100 NG build.

Wait, was he talking about the MG ZZ, the MG Full Armor ZZ, or the MG FAZZ?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I was talking about the Full Armor ZZ. The FAZZ is pretty much just a recolor + slight edit to the original FA isn't it?

Also I just noticed there is a Blitz Gundam. I feel kind of obligated to get it (...someday, and it'll probably be the first kit I try to paint because I'm not a fan of the standard colors), so does anyone have any experience with it? And is there a Blast Gundam?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Son Ryo posted:

Wait, was he talking about the MG ZZ, the MG Full Armor ZZ, or the MG FAZZ?

Aren't they all basically the same kit? I'm assuming "Full Armor ZZ" refers to Judau's suit while "FAZZ" refers to the Gundam Sentinel version, but aren't both kits just the original MG ZZ Gundam with new armor pieces and a new gun?

BlitzBlast posted:

Also I just noticed there is a Blitz Gundam. I feel kind of obligated to get it (...someday, and it'll probably be the first kit I try to paint because I'm not a fan of the standard colors), so does anyone have any experience with it? And is there a Blast Gundam?

There's Blast Impulse Gundam, but don't hold your breath for a Master Grade of that any time soon.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 7, 2013

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlitzBlast posted:

I was talking about the Full Armor ZZ. The FAZZ is pretty much just a recolor + slight edit to the original FA isn't it?

Its great. Pretty much all the MG SEED remakes are excellent. Inner frames, able to stand unsupported, well modeled weapons.

I built Blitz, Buster and Duel in sequence and I didnt feel like too many parts were shared.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Aren't they all basically the same kit? I'm assuming "Full Armor ZZ" refers to Judau's suit while "FAZZ" refers to the Gundam Sentinel version, but aren't both kits just the original MG ZZ Gundam with new armor pieces and a new gun?

If the kit is accurate to canon, the Full Armor pieces on the FAZZ are part of the body and not extra armor, and thus it can't transform.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Son Ryo posted:

If the kit is accurate to canon, the Full Armor pieces on the FAZZ are part of the body and not extra armor, and thus it can't transform.

http://www.dalong.net/review/mg/m42/m42_p.htm

Guess what isn't accurate to canon?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its so fat and sad looking. It must be one of those suits for space combat only

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Well that's pretty drat depressing. I probably wouldn't have bought it anyway since I'm really wary of all those older kits, but the FAZZ is one of my favorite suits (and not the ZZ or Full Armor).

Fauxtool posted:

its so fat and sad looking. It must be one of those suits for space combat only

It was never really supposed to see combat in the first place-- it was just a test for the Full Armor parts for the ZZ.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Four excruciatingly tiny screws (and a trip to the hardware store to buy a smaller screwdriver) later, and I'm pretty sure I never want to get an old MG again. I really love the Full Armor ZZ, but god drat building this model makes me want to throw something.

And at the end, all I'll get is a brick that can't do anything but stand there. :negative:

EDIT: I actually have welts on my hand from pressing down on that screwdriver so hard. Should've worn gloves I guess.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 10, 2013

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Is there a list somewhere of pre-2003 Master Grades that aren't exceedingly terrible? Many of my favorite UC suits came out before that but I've heard so many horror stories about old MGs that I've been pretty wary.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I wouldn't be too worried about it, depending on what you want, it's either a good kit in its own right, or it has a 2.0 version.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

muike posted:

I wouldn't be too worried about it, depending on what you want, it's either a good kit in its own right, or it has a 2.0 version.

I'm mostly interested in the Alex, the Kampfer, the Ez8, the GP-02, the Super Gundam, the Gelgoog Cannon, all the Zeta Pluses, the God Gundam and both Superiour Gundams. Post 2003, about the only stuff I'm interested in is stuff I know is supposed to be terrible like F91, Crossbone and Victory, or exceedingly expensive like the Destiny Extreme Blast and G-Armor Real Color.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Avoid the Kampfer and GP-02. The rest are passable-to-good.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The S Gundam kits and the Zeta Pluses are pretty solid, along with the Super Gundam being a really nicely designed kit too. The God Gundam was pretty impressive at the time it came out. The others aren't terrible kits, but they definitely show their age. I'm the guy that's not really picky about how posable my kits are, so my problems usually come down to proportions, details, and construction.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
How does the original Mk-II from the Super Gundam compare with the 2.0?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The 2.0 is definitely better and is compatible with the super armor.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

muike posted:

The 2.0 is definitely better and is compatible with the super armor.

That's not really what I meant... I'd prefer to not have to essentially buy the same kit twice, if I can help it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The 2.0 is better in every possible way. Scroll down to see a comparison between the two.

If you want the G-Defenser, consider combing through the manual of the Super and ordering the appropriate parts individually. It'll be a bit pricey, but still cheaper than buying the Super... I think.

EDIT: Or not. I decided to count the number of pieces you'd need, and it'd be cheaper to just get the Super Gundam. :stare:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 10, 2013

• Locked thread