Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Pufflekins posted:

In all reality it's just a good way to get rid of the 300 pounders.

Aren't most of those people on a medical category anyway saying basically that they're broken but can work a desk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Jeremy360 posted:

I've seen people that absolutely bombed the EXPRES test either pass, or come very close to passing the FORCE test. Even the grumpy old men don't seem to have many issues with it.

To be fair, the old express test was a dumb method of training general military fitness. I dont recall where I did a pushup in the field, nor where the majority of my lifting/strength happened to be from my triceps and pecs. The new FORCE test seems a bit more "realistic" as to what one actually does in the field. I know plenty of strong, fit guys who just because they don't do pushups in their regimin, suffer on their PT test.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

tuyop posted:

Aren't most of those people on a medical category anyway saying basically that they're broken but can work a desk?

Not all of them. We had a medic that was a good 350+ and he was never broken

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Hey, I'll be cutting your guy's grass this year wooo

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Mederlock posted:

Hey, I'll be cutting your guy's grass this year wooo

Congratulations on your extra duties, Pte.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

flakeloaf posted:

Congratulations on your extra duties, Pte.

Nah, I'm just a civie working for roads and grounds

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title
So, Halifax harbour. What's that about?

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Sir John Eh posted:

So, Halifax harbour. What's that about?

Heh. Not a good scene

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
Last time I saw the St-John crew it was at Op Nanook in Churchill last year. It was 4pm and they were all drunk in the town after being away at the sea for over 2 months.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Frog 1.0 posted:

Last time I saw the St-John crew it was at Op Nanook in Churchill last year. It was 4pm and they were all drunk in the town after being away at the sea for over 2 months.

Thats us pretty much (although they weren't drunk this morning!)

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

I was under the impression that most of the regular crew of STJ were overseas at this point. I had a lot of fun when I sailed with them.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
Quick, look away! http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2013/05/08/ns-hmcs-toronto-drug-bust.html

Gay but Spooky fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 9, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mederlock posted:

Nah, I'm just a civie working for roads and grounds

Has your work been effected in any way by the horrible, crippling budget cuts that are destroying our way of life?

Jeremy360
Jul 24, 2007

tuyop posted:

There are a number of restrictions on such things that only ever seem to affect the decent human beings. The good ones get medically released, the bad ones haven't done a fitness test in 3+ years. I thought Kingston was bad, but Ottawa is truly frightening at times.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jeremy360 posted:

There are a number of restrictions on such things that only ever seem to affect the decent human beings. The good ones get medically released, the bad ones haven't done a fitness test in 3+ years. I thought Kingston was bad, but Ottawa is truly frightening at times.

No lie, I saw a MCpl get pulled off of t-cat, promoted and posted only to go right back on category again, and it certainly looked to us like it was because we wanted to be rid of her. It was worth it.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 2, 2022

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

No lie, I saw a MCpl get pulled off of t-cat, promoted and posted only to go right back on category again because we wanted to be loving rid of her. It was worth it.

Can't help but assume this happened in the air force.

Also I thought we were the Canadian Armed Forces now shouldn't we change the title?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Guest2553 posted:

Hint: It was purple.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Guest2553 posted:

Also I thought we were the Canadian Armed Forces now shouldn't we change the title?

It'll never be the Canadian Armed Forces in my heart, as much as the Harper Government wants to make it sound all oorah debil dawg.

Dunno if there's enough push I'll ask a mod to change it I guess.

"Canadian Armed Forces: Home of the appropriations nightmare"

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Not that I was around then, but was it not CAF from unification up until the budget cuts of the mid-90s?

EDIT: And I guess my sarcasm emitter is faulty because I personally don't care about the title and assumed most others don't either. This was my way of kickstarting some edgy conversation. Oh well!

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 9, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Guest2553 posted:

Not that I was around then, but was it not CAF from unification up until the budget cuts of the mid-90s?

EDIT: And I guess my sarcasm emitter is faulty because I personally don't care about the title and assumed most others don't either. This was my way of kickstarting some edgy conversation. Oh well!

I like tossing around the ridiculous acronyms that come up.

Like, EME just changed to Royal Canadian EME Corps.

Does that mean that the Canadian Forces School of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering (CFSEME) is now the Royal Canadian Armed Forces School of the Corps of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering (RCAFCSEME)?

I also keep hearing people say REME (pronounced ree mee) for RCEME and it makes me think that somewhere, that must be an inuendo.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

No I think just CAFCEME. Like CFSAL (Canadian Forces School of Administration and Logistics) would be CAFSAL.

At least designations for the Guns shouldn't change. It's always been RCA/RCHA. I think it's actually be more of a clusterfuck to UNroyal the military.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Glad we can contribute a dual LM2500 gas turbine-powered 5000 ton warship with two kinds of missile, torpedoes, lots of heavy guns and 225 very well compensated crewmembers to the critical task of busting dinghies carrying some drugs.

Definitely worth the taxpayers' money IMO.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MA-Horus posted:

At least designations for the Guns shouldn't change. It's always been RCA/RCHA. I think it's actually be more of a clusterfuck to UNroyal the military.

They wouldn't change. Reg force is RCHA and depending on your mo unit it's usually RCA. Some have X Field Rgt

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
So it really wasn't budget cuts, it's just that all the money went to adding "Royal" to the letterheads.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Pufflekins posted:

They wouldn't change. Reg force is RCHA and depending on your mo unit it's usually RCA. Some have X Field Rgt

Yeah I know, but it's always X field regiment, royal Canadian artillery. The guns are our colours ffs.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
What the hell is going on with the recruiting center in North Bay? I've been trying to contact them for over a week now to figure out whats going on with my application, but nobody there ever picks up the phone. I even called my local recruiting office but they said that all my files were in North Bay, and there is no other phone-number that could be used to contact them.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.48 posted:

What the hell is going on with the recruiting center in North Bay? I've been trying to contact them for over a week now to figure out whats going on with my application, but nobody there ever picks up the phone. I even called my local recruiting office but they said that all my files were in North Bay, and there is no other phone-number that could be used to contact them.

The obvious solution is don't join back up. It's not worth it!

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Pufflekins posted:

The obvious solution is don't join back up. It's not worth it!

But I need a jerb :(

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That badly?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Mr.48 posted:

I knew the last OIC of that place and if I remember right, the person replacing them is also somebody I know. If you really want sent me a PM and I can try to do some digging around for you. No promises etc but I'm from the internet and I'm here to help.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Before North Bay sent my application forward, it regularly took them a week or more to reply to my emails. If I got a reply at all, which didn't always happen.

Since they forwarded it, the guy who's handling my application locally gets back to my emails within a couple hours and definitely within the same day. It just took, like, two and a half months for my application to get out of the queue in North Bay.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Recruiting seems to be mostly hit or miss. Sometimes they seem to really drag their heels.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Pufflekins posted:

That badly?

It's a harsh world out there :(

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The recruitment or re-upping process in the CF is god awful. There's just not enough people to do the work.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Pufflekins posted:

That badly?

Finished my MSc in February but haven't been able to find a real job since then and money is starting to run out. Its either this or go back for a PhD. Plus, Bioscience officer sounds like exactly the sort of thing I what to do for a real job anyways. Not to mention that I'm already used to all the army crap, so bad could the airforce be?

E: I applied to airforce because on the online form you get to pick 3 trades, so by picking bioscience in the airforce I was able to pick pilot and airnav as my second and third choices on the off-chance that I might get to fulfill my childhood dream and get to fly a jet.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 10, 2013

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress dude, if that's what you wanna do and can't find a civie side job doing it then there's no shame in going back at all, especially in the officer world. If it wasnt for having to do the same course I did already and having to put up with stupid bullshit I'd get back in but as an electrician.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
My fire team buddy in basic was a bioscience officer. He has had a great go so far and has worked with the airforce, army, and navy. If you have any questions about hiring for bios in the near future I can see what he knows

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Never even knew that was a trade but if that's your thing go ham.

More and more navs are being replaced by microchips (admittedly platform dependent) so I'd recommend against it. They are admittedly a trade mafia because because of their size and clout at least, if you don't mind being part of the problem :v:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Gay but Spooky posted:

My fire team buddy in basic was a bioscience officer. He has had a great go so far and has worked with the airforce, army, and navy. If you have any questions about hiring for bios in the near future I can see what he knows

Please ask him to find out whatever he can if he doesnt mind :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mr.48 posted:

Finished my MSc in February but haven't been able to find a real job since then and money is starting to run out. Its either this or go back for a PhD. Plus, Bioscience officer sounds like exactly the sort of thing I what to do for a real job anyways. Not to mention that I'm already used to all the army crap, so bad could the airforce be?

E: I applied to airforce because on the online form you get to pick 3 trades, so by picking bioscience in the airforce I was able to pick pilot and airnav as my second and third choices on the off-chance that I might get to fulfill my childhood dream and get to fly a jet.

Hey I think you've got the right reasons, but since you're obviously willing to move why not Alberta or Saskatchewan?

Sorry in advance if you've already looked and the military was the best option for the field you're very interested in.

Edit: As for the recruiting process, when I was getting in I had the same problem and tried lighting a fire by calling a larger recruiting center and telling them how unimpressed I was with the smaller recruiting center's performance. I had my medical four days later and an invaluable introduction to the world of passive-aggressive administration!