Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
oh dear god there are hearts on the actual non-bone wing parts WHO DID THIS

THis fight is really cool as a concept and initially it was pretty rad despite the time limit but I am just hating it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
What are some good sorcerer builds for a pawn?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

zarron posted:

The build I've used recently for my sorc pawn has been High Ingle for a quick-ish cast attack spells, High Gicel and High Fulmination for bigger damage spells (But there are plenty of other high-damage choices of course). I also run the slowing spell and recently the poison spell for debuffing and damage. I try to fit in an affinity spell or two if I can. Which affinity spell tends to depend on where you are in the game.

You probably do not want your sorcerer to be a mitigator- if he targets weak dudes first, he will probably abandon his spell for a new target if the enemy dies. Even if it is a multi-target-able spell.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

zarron posted:

Put Voidspell on them if you are going into Bitterblack, every ailment Voidspell cures is way more common in BBI than in the main game so it's actually really useful, and it'll save your rear end if you get petrified with no other curatives.

Avoid Bolide like the plague. It takes way too long to cast and it's not anywhere near 100% accurate on anything so even on fire resistant enemies it won't do as much damage in the same timeframe as Ingle/Comestion will do.

It looks really pretty but unless you just want your pawn to put on pretty fireworks shows occasionally then avoid it.

Also avoid Malestrom if you are a melee class, since it will block your ability to see even if it does destroy poo poo really well. Seism fills roughly the same role and won't effect your ability to fight.

Tyskil fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 10, 2013

Zwippy
Feb 9, 2005
Just added myself to the PS3 Goons. My pawn is a tank, just got Dark Arisen after beating the story in vanilla. BBI is kicking my rear end hard, I am level 72 as a strider, but i just do not seem to be doing near enough damage. Guess I need to grind back in the everfall for gear, or offline Ur-Dragon? Any suggestions?

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
oh god, I think that neutralizing potion, 15/15/15 potion breaks something. I did it earlier to get my pawn Utilitarian/medicant/scather. I just checked my pawn because she was picking up more items then I remember her doing before and now she's utilitarian/pioneer o0

edit: ^^^^^ switch to Mystic Archer (magic archer? whatever) and spam ricochet shot over and over. Otherwise thinks seem a lot more resistant to physical damage then the normal game, try lightning enchants

edit2: I think I also taught Jivers some bad habits - he's Scather/Acquistor :v:

Danith fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 10, 2013

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Ironsolid posted:

Also, is there anything I can get for you sir goon owner of Tulius?

You've been my single biggest source of RC, so that's good enough for me. Was going to see if I had any spare sorcerous goodies for your pawn, but apparently she has given up casting magic with a big stick and moved on to just hitting people directly with it.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Pumpkinreaper your goblinoid monstrosity has been of great help in defeating the Ur-Dragon. Except for shooting at its wings, I had to swap to level 2 ranger to do that and it took me an hour :( but I love the little guy.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Sooo I think Capcom stealth nerfed the Elite Lantern because it's running out just as fast as a normal Lantern now, if not a little faster. Why the gently caress is nerfing things in single player games so popular now? Really? On Bitterblack I'd go at least an hour without having to fill it now I'm doing it even more in the main game, if that for some reason has anything to do with it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lunethex posted:

Sooo I think Capcom stealth nerfed the Elite Lantern because it's running out just as fast as a normal Lantern now, if not a little faster. Why the gently caress is nerfing things in single player games so popular now? Really? On Bitterblack I'd go at least an hour without having to fill it now I'm doing it even more in the main game, if that for some reason has anything to do with it.
There definitely hasn't been an software update to the game, or I would have noticed.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm curious how long it took people to beat Daimon. It was a well designed fight with a lot of fun attacks to predict/dodge, but good god it took me almost an hour. It wasn't particularly difficult compared to some of the other fights on Bitterblack, but it took so long it was ridiculous, I feel like I must have missed something. I loved the new content here, but the last 1/3 or so everything felt way too HP spongy. I was a level 80 Assassin and my equipment got the job done perfectly fine up to that point.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

Wonderslug posted:

You've been my single biggest source of RC, so that's good enough for me. Was going to see if I had any spare sorcerous goodies for your pawn, but apparently she has given up casting magic with a big stick and moved on to just hitting people directly with it.

She will be a Sorcerer again tomorrow, I wanted to get her some HP because she was squish squash as gently caress.

Oh and, I tried using two higher level fighters tonight, and uhhh well, neither of them fair. What do you need to make his defense better? Get me a list and I'll try to get it all for you. Upgrading him upgrades me at this point. Also, I'd love it if you'd try to DF that shield.

Edit: WHoooooa 5 levels. Oh man!

Edit 2: Sending you 3x Surging Light Tomes and 2x Ruinous Relic. Wiki only had Ascalon's ingredients listed. Going to add you on PSN after I send this stuff so you can upgrade his sword... That is, if I can.

Edit 3: 2x Ruinous Relics have been Sent, this should be for an immediate Ascalon Dragon Forge 3, but you'll need to acquire 3 "Surging Light" Tomes, as they're tools. I have the god drat things too...

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 10, 2013

Buttermonster
Jul 11, 2003

Rascyc posted:

Wait about 15 minutes after resting at the Gransys inn and he should wander down to market. I usually find him beside Montbank when I go looking.

You have to wait though. You might be able to use the assassin invis and get into his mansion though without waiting.

Alternatively, make him your love interest.

You can also visit Fournival without the guards pestering you if you hold off on visiting the king (quest A Warm Welcome) until you are ready to move on to your second playthrough. The only slightly annoying thing will be guards with question marks tugging the camera away from you if you get too close to them.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Buttermonster posted:

You can also visit Fournival without the guards pestering you if you hold off on visiting the king (quest A Warm Welcome) until you are ready to move on to your second playthrough. The only slightly annoying thing will be guards with question marks tugging the camera away from you if you get too close to them.

Actually I found out that just like in the pre-post-game, Fournival is at the black market dude, or on the way to him if he is not at his house

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Buttermonster posted:

Can you even start the Everfall quests without meeting the Duke though?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Surlaw posted:

I'm curious how long it took people to beat Daimon. It was a well designed fight with a lot of fun attacks to predict/dodge, but good god it took me almost an hour. It wasn't particularly difficult compared to some of the other fights on Bitterblack, but it took so long it was ridiculous, I feel like I must have missed something. I loved the new content here, but the last 1/3 or so everything felt way too HP spongy. I was a level 80 Assassin and my equipment got the job done perfectly fine up to that point.

Make sure you use all those peripats or whatever the hell they're called that boost your offense. It took ages for me to kill him on the second run and I was around 165. The only class that was able to put a dent on him was magick archer and it was by spamming the normal bolt because gently caress using the elemental ones if you want to actually kill him.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
I haven't been able to find a straight answer for this online, but what's up with the "Secret Augments" category in the skill purchasing menu? Do you unlock them with Bitterblack items or something, because I've maxed out certain classes and the list is still empty.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
From my googling, they appear to be rare drops from cursed bitterback (cut and paste was brittleback lol) novelties lvls 2 and 3.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, you get them from Bitterback novelties. They range mostly useless (more grey health!) to pretty good (reduce to 1 hp instead of dying).

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

Can you even start the Everfall quests without meeting the Duke though?

You definitely can, I've held off on meeting the Duke and have gone through Everfall a few times now. One of the guards blocks the way to the Pawn Guild, but you just have to weasel your way in from the side.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Adhesion is extremely useful if you're climbing on monsters all the time and athleticism is also a keeper but the rest are pretty garbage. I don't know what they were thinking with facility since the amount of ballistas in the game can be counted on one hand.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Do minotaurs have a weak point on their body or are they just a ball of hit points like ogres?

Also while I was just about to finally beat one of them, an elder ogre warped in. So much for that.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Siri is back to being a Sorcerer, if anyone in the higher levels (I'm 104) has sorc gear and was planning to hire her and throw it on her, now is the time as she's no longer a damned warrior, though the 1,300 HP gain was pretty drat nice.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do minotaurs have a weak point on their body or are they just a ball of hit points like ogres?

Also while I was just about to finally beat one of them, an elder ogre warped in. So much for that.

Those damned eliminators? If you're a strider, use the web move that staggers until he falls and go for the head. I hated these as a fighter/warrior. As an assassin, I now cling to the back of their heads and run a kissing fury on them

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 10, 2013

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I saw someone earlier talking in the thread about sending around 10 cursed items at a time to people. I've been meaning to ask, how do you gift more than one thing at a time? Is it a painfully obvious menu option that I've never noticed?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I shot the eliminator in the head so hard it fell off the tower and died. No game in any genre makes archery as awesome as DD.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dosvidanya posted:

From my googling, they appear to be rare drops from cursed bitterback (cut and paste was brittleback lol) novelties lvls 2 and 3.

They come from Lvl 1 Novelties as well, though I've only got crap ones so maybe the really good ones like Adhesion are only from Lvl 3.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Surlaw posted:

First form: took ages the first time, I lost with about a bar and a half left. Magick Archer. Came back later as an Assassin, and it still took a while, but I got him.

Second: absofuckinglutely ages. The only thing that did appreciable damage was Mighty Bend, and even that was only a small part of a bar. Had to keep running from one barricade to the other.

Now using the trick, both forms combined down in under a minute. He barely ever gets an attack off.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
These tokens of vows or whatever, I've gotten quite a few of them but do they actually do anything by themselves or can I just sell them all?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

These tokens of vows or whatever, I've gotten quite a few of them but do they actually do anything by themselves or can I just sell them all?

Those the things for the From a Different Sky quests? Apparently you keep them all in NG+ and can complete the quests all again just by getting them out of storage. That'd add up to quite a lot of RC.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have to say that the Magic Archer vocation is versatile as hell, it's just a shame that the stat gains at level up is so drat mediocre. I could use some help though in finding a better bow than the Magicians Crutch I've been using for far too long.

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 10, 2013

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

If you give items to Madeleine to level her affinity up (or just do her quests) she should end up with more magick bows for sale in her shop. Not sure if giving her the Gold Idol during Supplier's Demand unlocks any though...

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Minotaurs? I want to fight a minotaur. Where are the minotaurs?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Crowetron posted:

You'll run into them at least twice. The first one is inside a little tower with a gargoyle flock at the top. You have to go through there, so I wouldn't worry about missing him.

The second one is further inside. You can't miss him either. He tends to call in a super powered ogre buddy, and he has undead mages as support, and your pawns really want to open those nearby mimics chests. Enjoy!

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Crowetron posted:

They're called Eliminators, they're all in BBI.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
My pawn hasn't been rented once. :(

Granted, I spent lvls 1-30 offline. I guess people either have tanks of their own or find mages more useful? Might change her class for a bit so she can get some different augments. It's a shame pawns can't use hybrid vocations - having a mystic knight tank would be rather useful.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Chas McGill posted:

Granted, I spent lvls 1-30 offline. I guess people either have tanks of their own or find mages more useful? Might change her class for a bit so she can get some different augments. It's a shame pawns can't use hybrid vocations - having a mystic knight tank would be rather useful.

Having a Mystic Knight pawn to do Trance buffs would be even more useful I think! Really though, a Fighter pawn serves the tank purpose much better due to the shield rapping.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
So got down to the Gorecyclops in chains in BBI. Can't get past him! Is there any way to zip to where you left off in BBI or do you have to go down all over again whenever you enter?

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

Do you have the inclinations set properly? Most people won't hire anyone who has "Guardian" in there, for example, and the AI switches to that often unless you remember to change it back occasionally. If you ever use the "Help" command at all, you're pretty much guaranteed to become a Guardian, which sucks.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
How the heck one changed Guardian inclination again? I could swear there was one specific chair to change the main inclination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Chas McGill posted:

I actually have your pawn, but probably won't end up releasing her until much later tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

• Locked thread