Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

IBentMyWookie posted:

If Brazil dominates the world scene at some point I think that would be the funniest outcome possible. Them dominating NA would also be epic considering the amount of hate brazilians got on NA servers.

NA is just mentally weak. The amount of trash talking and infighting drama that goes on inside the pro network of teams is not a healthy way to build a strong competitive scene. They really could use some coaching on just general teamplay attitudes and sportsmanship. It's like none of these kids ever played on a team in any other sport before. Not destroying your teammate's confidence or morale is like team play 101.

I really hate all the interviews with 90% of the NA pros (I don't watch much international competition so maybe it isn't isolated in NA) where they never give "coach talk" with their answers to interviews. Xpecial, you do not have to tell the 100k people watching the stream every intimate detail of the internal drama going on with TSM. In what way does that build team cohesion? These players need to cut this poo poo out with the personal vlogs calling each other and other teams out constantly. Elementz and Saint is a good recent example. Why are they streaming their scrims then losing their poo poo in public THEN making vlogs calling the other a big stinky doodoo head? Basically they all just act like 18 year-olds with way too much exposure for their own good, go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Basically they all just act like 18 year-olds with way too much exposure for their own good, go figure.

Most of them are ~18 year olds.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

Libertine posted:

That would be why I added "go figure".

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Libertine posted:

So are a lot of professional athletes. That's no excuse for being toxic teammates.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Schiavona posted:

WildTurtle on TSM is still in the air

They were 9-5 and 3rd place before picking him up, they were 12-2 and moved up to 1st place after picking him up. They then won the Spring Playoffs. I think we can call this one as a successful change by now.

GEExCEE
Sep 19, 2012

KicksYouInHalf posted:

I really hate all the interviews with 90% of the NA pros

Libertine posted:

Also, keep in mind that a lot of the NA players revenue tends to come from streaming, which kind of promotes a scene where people will say or do extreme things to try and get attention.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

Jonny Angel posted:

They were 9-5 and 3rd place before picking him up, they were 12-2 and moved up to 1st place after picking him up. They then won the Spring Playoffs. I think we can call this one as a successful change by now.

Yeah, I don't think wildturtle fits your narrative.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Was watching some of the OGN Match between SK Telecom T1 #2 and Najin Shield and man, some of those Hecarim ganks in the first game were..uncomfortable. It seemd like NOFE would be like "Okay I'm ganking!" and then he'd run in and there would be little support and SKT would just wreck him. Awkward. Feels like jungling at my teir where people aren't exactly sure where to go and instead of impressive entrances they sort of run in like a indecisive party crasher.

Also, watching Faker taking out J4 as Jayce after a failed 2v1 gank in game 2, Impressive stuff!

Finally, they all seem to ban TF as a matter of course? Like, red always bans out TF?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Was watching some of the OGN Match between SK Telecom T1 #2 and Najin Shield and man, some of those Hecarim ganks in the first game were..uncomfortable. It seemd like NOFE would be like "Okay I'm ganking!" and then he'd run in and there would be little support and SKT would just wreck him. Awkward. Feels like jungling at my teir where people aren't exactly sure where to go and instead of impressive entrances they sort of run in like a indecisive party crasher.

Also, watching Faker taking out J4 as Jayce after a failed 2v1 gank in game 2, Impressive stuff!

Finally, they all seem to ban TF as a matter of course? Like, red always bans out TF?

I think I heard some casters say that TF has 100% pick/ban rate in the recent OGN season and about a 65-70% win rate. Koreans are REALLY good with TF. Incredible ganks and teamfighting positioning make him a very strong pick.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Yeah, Nofe didn't seem to have it figured out that it's really the R which lets you gank. Really sad game from NJ SH in general.

Also, yeah. Watch a few of the games where TF is picked to see why he is banned the rest of the time -- the impact they make him have on the game is ridiculous.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Miftan posted:

I think I heard some casters say that TF has 100% pick/ban rate in the recent OGN season and about a 65-70% win rate. Koreans are REALLY good with TF. Incredible ganks and teamfighting positioning make him a very strong pick.

I suppose given the ban/pick order there's no reason for blue to ban TF - because they get the single first pick, and can just pick TF if it slips through. Thus it falls to the red side to spend a ban on TF.

Speaking of TF and given its high success right both in the OGN and in the LCS, it was cool seeing Samurai in Jeans' Teleport fizz counter to it work so well. Though there was more going on the game than that, it worked out well.
MachinimaVS did a neat outline of it too

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003
I've heard Karthus is a counter to TF why is that?

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.
Presumably since he can ult? I don't know where you heard that because it doesn't sound quite right to me. The thing with Karthus is his level 1 ult doesn't do that much damage and doesn't really compare to TF just popping up and stunning someone starting from level 6. TF's ult is also way shorter cooldown.

I mean later on Karthus can just walk into the enemy team and die and do a lot of damage, but I wouldn't call that a "counter" so much as "these champions do different things".

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Was watching some of the OGN Match

Is there a non-files way to view these without paying the OGN channel subscription fee? They sound like wonderful games that would be really interesting to see, but I don't really want to throw money at a Twitch channel.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
^^^^^^
Don't know, I just paid the subscription fee.

IBentMyWookie posted:

I've heard Karthus is a counter to TF why is that?

There's two general threads of argument I've heard.

On one hand Karthus can participate remotely in any fight as long as requiem is up, so he has a global presence just like TF.

On the other hand, Karthus can shove a lane quite hard, especially at later levels. Shoving lanes is a good way to make roaming tough for a TF since they have to choose between losing CS or not using their ult effectively.

These combine to allow a Karthus to punish a roaming TF by both shoving the lane while still providing global presence through well timed Requiems - especially since once TF leaves there's much less likely to be someone who can cancel Karthus' ult.

EDIT: Speaking of OGN, Faker's blind shockblast kill was fantastic too! I'm not sure if there's a vid of it not on ogn or anything but man, so good.

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 9, 2013

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

IBentMyWookie posted:

If Brazil dominates the world scene at some point I think that would be the funniest outcome possible. Them dominating NA would also be epic considering the amount of hate brazilians got on NA servers.

NA is just mentally weak. The amount of trash talking and infighting drama that goes on inside the pro network of teams is not a healthy way to build a strong competitive scene. They really could use some coaching on just general teamplay attitudes and sportsmanship. It's like none of these kids ever played on a team in any other sport before. Not destroying your teammate's confidence or morale is like team play 101.

I know, it's almost like they're stereotypical League of Legends players, right?

Routah
Feb 6, 2012

EDIT: Speaking of OGN, Faker's blind shockblast kill was fantastic too! I'm not sure if there's a vid of it not on ogn or anything but man, so good.

No idea about a video but here's a gif of it.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

SlyFrog posted:

I know, it's almost like they're stereotypical League of Legends players, right?

Yeah, but that isn't true in the other regions. Asians, and EU top teams you don't hear remotely the same kind of poo poo going on as we do in NA. Could be the streaming, but the NA seems to take a lot of pride in "brutal" honesty.

I just paid for the OGN subscription and the matches are pretty good. Although I saw an Annie and Brand bottom lane which was a bit trolly. They won their game but I don't believe they were playing seriously. There is a lot of crazy poo poo that the Koreans will try in their matches I'm going to start watching LPL to see if they are just as inventive. I heard of a Shaco jungle split pusher that beat WE that I'm going to try to track down the VOD for.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

IBentMyWookie posted:

Yeah, but that isn't true in the other regions. Asians, and EU top teams you don't hear remotely the same kind of poo poo going on as we do in NA. Could be the streaming, but the NA seems to take a lot of pride in "brutal" honesty.

I just paid for the OGN subscription and the matches are pretty good. Although I saw an Annie and Brand bottom lane which was a bit trolly. They won their game but I don't believe they were playing seriously. There is a lot of crazy poo poo that the Koreans will try in their matches I'm going to start watching LPL to see if they are just as inventive. I heard of a Shaco jungle split pusher that beat WE that I'm going to try to track down the VOD for.

OGN matches are pretty interesting for both the play level and the different meta style/standards, and if you don't need to watch everything at once you could probably just sub every other month or something.
Also interesting of late is SKT1#2's Support Morderkaiser use!

http://gosugamers.net/general/news/23888-400-cs-shaco-rips-world-elite-apart-in-today-s-lpl For the Shaco, I assume you mean this one? There's also a Viktor mid in the second game linked there too. The only thing is that these have a lack of english casting; so I was a bit in the dark on some stuff. Even the icons threw me off and I took awhile to figure out that one of the ban icons was Karthus' Chinese icon and another was Sona.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

IBentMyWookie posted:

So are a lot of professional athletes. That's no excuse for being toxic teammates.

I think a big part of the problem is the lack of focus on managers and coaches in NA LoL. It matures a team.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Jonny Angel posted:

Is there a non-files way to view these without paying the OGN channel subscription fee? They sound like wonderful games that would be really interesting to see, but I don't really want to throw money at a Twitch channel.

If it makes you feel better, it's definitely worth it for OGN at least. The Korean leagues are very professional, the games always start on time and the quality of the matches is fantastic.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So this video has the EU All-Stars repeatedly mentioning that they're playing for a "3rd spot" at worlds. 5 regions, 2 from each region, 1 extra from all stars... 11 teams? That does not seem like it makes sense. Maybe there's a second All-Star game after the summer split to determine a 12th spot?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Jonny Angel posted:

Nope, you have to subscribe or watch live.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Jonny Angel posted:

So this video has the EU All-Stars repeatedly mentioning that they're playing for a "3rd spot" at worlds. 5 regions, 2 from each region, 1 extra from all stars... 11 teams? That does not seem like it makes sense. Maybe there's a second All-Star game after the summer split to determine a 12th spot?

Think SEA gets a bye first round.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

IBentMyWookie posted:

Think SEA gets a bye first round.

Yep, due to TPA winning worlds last year.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm talking about Worlds. SEA gets a 1st-round bye at All-Stars, but do TPA get a first-round bye at worlds? Because 11 teams, one of them having a bye, still means you have to do stuff involving more byes and group stages.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

Jonny Angel posted:

I'm talking about Worlds. SEA gets a 1st-round bye at All-Stars, but do TPA get a first-round bye at worlds? Because 11 teams, one of them having a bye, still means you have to do stuff involving more byes and group stages.

Taken from the Gosugamers site: "Southeast Asia gets a bye into the semifinals of the All-Star tournament due to their success in Season 2, which means they are directly protected of taking the fifth place and the number one team of their region is guaranteed a spot into the Season 3's World Championship elimination rounds."

I think this means they also get a bye from group stage at Worlds.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Wrote an article for News of Legends about the upcoming LCS Promo Matches. I broke down all the teams (both LCS and Challenger teams)

Edit: Removed the DONG SQUAD 420 link

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Dignitas seems like a lock to me, but anything can happen like you said.

I don't know that I'd be happy with these results (I love Complexity and I really dislike MRN), but I think these four teams will advance at the end:

Quantic, MRN, Dignitas, Azure Cats.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
British Tea Time: thoughts? They dominated Kaostv's challenger series, just won the grand final without dropping a game. Hadn't heard of them before -- are they legitimate competitors in the EU scene?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

At the moment no Challenger's team in EU is all that releveant since qualifiers just passed. Hard to find BTT results, but it didn't look like they placed well in earlier tournaments, and most likely the new Challenger teams and new LCS teams haven't played in a tourney since Promotion matches. So no, not until they play against better competition (Though if you have brackets for the tourney I can try and check names)

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

This was the bracket for the KAOSTV EUW Challenger Series:
http://www.kaostv.eu/euw-challenger-series-3/

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I actually think Dignitas will get relegated out because they're in the same sort of place AAA was in - recent setbacks have completely gutted their morale. You could see it during the GGU matches. The throws were ridiculous and it was largely due to them out being able to work together. I could see Team Summon or even Fidelis pulling out the Big W on them. Really looking forward to that entire set, and I suspect that's going to be the one that delivers overall this weekend. Everyone in that will be making insane plays - even the Dig members who aren't yet crushed by depression.

Quantic is also all but guaranteed and it's a shame because it means Complexity is out. :smith: Why couldn't CoL have made 7th so it was MRN Quantic was crushing? As it is I have no idea how to call Velo/TSB/MRN. Could go any way.

And then for DB/Azure/CLG, I have to admit I'm finding it hard to even care. :geno:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Saw the brackets, none of the bigger teams were there unfortunately :( They'll still have a chance to shine.

SpaceDrake posted:

I actually think Dignitas will get relegated out because they're in the same sort of place AAA was in - recent setbacks have completely gutted their morale. You could see it during the GGU matches. The throws were ridiculous and it was largely due to them out being able to work together. I could see Team Summon or even Fidelis pulling out the Big W on them. Really looking forward to that entire set, and I suspect that's going to be the one that delivers overall this weekend. Everyone in that will be making insane plays - even the Dig members who aren't yet crushed by depression.

Quantic is also all but guaranteed and it's a shame because it means Complexity is out. :smith: Why couldn't CoL have made 7th so it was MRN Quantic was crushing? As it is I have no idea how to call Velo/TSB/MRN. Could go any way.

And then for DB/Azure/CLG, I have to admit I'm finding it hard to even care. :geno:

You didn't read my article!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Studio posted:

You didn't read my article!

I actually did, I just disagree with your take on Dignitas' chances. Their morale is in the dumpster right now - you could absolutely 100% see it during the playoff matches. Maybe they've managed to rally in the two weeks since then, but if they are anything like they were during Super Week or the playoffs... no way. They are in very real danger of getting kicked out of the LCS because they just can't focus like they used to and aren't nearly as secure as I think you posit them as.

If they have any saving grace it's that they're facing somewhat weaker teams than CoL and MRN are due to the set-up of the promotion series. They should be thanking their lucky stars they aren't facing Quantic.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

I actually did, I just disagree with your take on Dignitas' chances. Their morale is in the dumpster right now - you could absolutely 100% see it during the playoff matches. Maybe they've managed to rally in the two weeks since then, but if they are anything like they were during Super Week or the playoffs... no way. They are in very real danger of getting kicked out of the LCS because they just can't focus like they used to and aren't nearly as secure as I think you posit them as.

If they have any saving grace it's that they're facing somewhat weaker teams than CoL and MRN are due to the set-up of the promotion series. They should be thanking their lucky stars they aren't facing Quantic.

Dignitas has a different problem. They're overconfident. At S2 playoffs, versus GGU, in general Dig goes in thinking they'll win. Unlike other teams that can lose and recover, once Dig loses confidences they die. However, this bo5 means a lot more to them. This isn't for money, or a stepping stone to play TSM, this is their competitive life. If they don't have the realist attitude of their lives, then Dignitas' management has failed. I think they will have perspective and be a hard team to beat.

Quantic is good, but Hai choked hard at past LANs and they aren't a hard lock versus coL. On cell so sorry for typos.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
OGN just starting up, second quarter final today with KT Rolster B vs MVP Ozone in a bo5.

Apparently the Korean fans are pissed that KTB got smashed in their last group stage matchup, despite having already qualified for the knockout round, because it would get them matched up against Ozone rather than Najin Sword, heh

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Libertine posted:

Dignitas seems like a lock to me, but anything can happen like you said.

I don't know that I'd be happy with these results (I love Complexity and I really dislike MRN), but I think these four teams will advance at the end:

Quantic, MRN, Dignitas, Azure Cats.

I will predict coL remains while mrn, dig and clg all get knocked out. I am gonna keep the dream alive. :unsmith:

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Imp's Vayne is just...My god :stare:

Granted a few of KTB have bitten off more then they could chew when engaging him but geez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

linall
Feb 1, 2007
Are the commentators right in saying that KTB threw their previous set to get matched up against Ozone? Because that is hilarious if true.

• Locked thread