Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Yesss, thanks again EP.

Is "Bless you" really an appropriate translation though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Sindai posted:

Why wouldn't you want the embroidery explanation up front? Without it the whole clothes thing doesn't make any sense. :confused:

It does if I change it to be about clothes being too hot instead of too pretty! Which I did in the first place because I straight up didn't know what the hell he was on about - The light bulb came on halfway through the rest of the chapter but I decided to leave it, because I didn't think it was an obvious reference and I didn't want anyone else scratching their heads over it. If I had wanted to explain it up front, there'd be no need to make the change I did, but I make a habit of working without TL notes in the body of a chapter. And that's why.

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Is "Bless you" really an appropriate translation though?

Sure, close enough. It's an ineffectual attempt to cover up her obvious concern. As written, the two lines following the sneeze are the same phrase twice, so I could have split the following panel's dialog across two panels like so: ("not worried btw" | "not even a little"), but "bless you" hits the beat better. If you mean why bless you specifically, that's because it fits in the bubble better than gesundheit :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
drat. That is one buff-rear end twelve year old.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

drat. That is one buff-rear end twelve year old.

Right? Swole needs to be here taking notes.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
We've got more Vinland Saga, and it's loving awesome. Maybe :nws: for gore, kindof a given with this series by now.

:nws:Words do not do this justice. :nws: I think that's pretty borderline but NWS just in case because that's gruesome.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 27, 2013

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Man, Arneis is definitely croaking it

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That is such a brutal strategy Thorgil set up. :ohdear:

Also why did they have to stop the cart because she woke up? Keep moving, you fools!

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Historie 80 was released as well: http://hoxtranslations.blogspot.com/2013/02/feb-monthlies.html

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's been more than 50 chapters since the last major battle in the series (Thorkell's army vs Askeladd vs Askeladd's deserters, between Chapter 33 to Chapter 37). I've forgotten how much I missed it, so fantastic has been the quality of Farming Saga.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JosephWongKS posted:

It's been more than 50 chapters since the last major battle in the series (Thorkell's army vs Askeladd vs Askeladd's deserters, between Chapter 33 to Chapter 37). I've forgotten how much I missed it, so fantastic has been the quality of Farming Saga.

It's a real great testament to the writing of Vinland Saga that the comic can be extremely entertaining even when they aren't fighting.

I personally found Canutes political movings to seize land to be one of the best moments I've read in this comic.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Canute's war crown is pretty sweet. I hope Snake makes it out of this ok.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Arneis... Well, might be better if she goes now and stays with Garard and their children.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Plutonis posted:

Arneis... Well, might be better if she goes now and stays with Garard and their children.

"I'll wait here." :smith:

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
This isn't the first time this series has released uncleaned, un-inked pencil drawings. Does the author not have any assistants, or are they just lazy?

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mo_Steel posted:

We've got more Vinland Saga, and it's loving awesome. Maybe :nws: for gore, kindof a given with this series by now.

:nws:Words do not do this justice. :nws: I think that's pretty borderline but NWS just in case because that's gruesome.
Looks like a page from Berserk.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

KittenofDoom posted:

This isn't the first time this series has released uncleaned, un-inked pencil drawings. Does the author not have any assistants, or are they just lazy?

Maybe he's like Yoshihiro Togashi and just can't muster up the energy sometimes due to "extenuating circumstances", so he turns in pencil sketches to be published in the magazine and cleans them up later for the volumes?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Zorak posted:

Man, Arneis is definitely croaking it

I dunno, whenever you see someone come back from an afterlife-vision-thingy, and is told "you still have poo poo to do so get out" that usually means they're going to survive.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I dunno, whenever you see someone come back from an afterlife-vision-thingy, and is told "you still have poo poo to do so get out" that usually means they're going to survive.

To be fair, the poo poo garnar told her to do is say thanks and goodbye to thorfinn and einar

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Gunka no Baltzar. Read that while listening to Queen's "Bicycle Race".

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Well I did not expect exciting penny-farthing action.

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy
New Vinland Saga! A pretty awesome fight, but holy poo poo that eye poke/gouge. :barf:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
drat it! These guys look like they're having the time of their lives.

Best line ever.

Canute's competent but not great fighting makes him more sympathetic to me than all those badasses.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tonberrytoby posted:

drat it! These guys look like they're having the time of their lives.

Best line ever.

Canute's competent but not great fighting makes him more sympathetic to me than all those badasses.

Yeah I would have bet my bottom dollar that one of his guards was going to save him. Never actually expected him to block it himself.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That might have been the most metal chapter I have read.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
That was a pretty outstanding chapter. It's sort of funny how half-hearted Canute is about hey i told you guys not to kill them / capture him alive ah whatever.

He's just falling into the casual laziness that his position permits towards empathy.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Zorak posted:

That was a pretty outstanding chapter. It's sort of funny how half-hearted Canute is about hey I told you guys not to kill them / capture him alive ah whatever.

He's just falling into the casual laziness that his position permits towards empathy.

It's just the way battles occurred back then. You had minor control during the skirmishing of flinging arrows and rocks at each other but once the melee was engaged it was hit or miss. A General of the era was skilled more by picking the proper battlefield than movement of troops during the fight. Even the Romans could only hold a few cohorts back and reinforce a failing flank or do a cavalry charge. Either you picked a spot that is beneficial to your army or you have some new tactic that isn't really done. See: Battle of Agincort

The Battle of Stamford Bridge was decisive merely because the Norse army was split half on one side of the river and the other on the far side. Hell one badass guy literally stopped the entire English advance over the bridge killing 40 people alone until some wiseass floated underneath it and speared him from below. During the Battle of Hastings which by all accounts William the Conqueror should have lost as he was charging uphill into a shield wall was won because he was unhorsed and the English thought he was dead. They broke down their shield wall to pursue and lost their advantage when the Normans counter attacked leading to the death of Harold Godwinson.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Zorak posted:

That was a pretty outstanding chapter. It's sort of funny how half-hearted Canute is about hey i told you guys not to kill them / capture him alive ah whatever.

Compared to when he ordered the deaths of soldiers committing war crimes* against his orders, I imagine he'd give the elite Jomsvikings a bit of wiggle room.

I can't wait to see how that cliffhanger sorts out. Yukimura could give us something really good.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
New Gunka no Balzer. What a rad comic. I'll probably have to reread a few chapters to remember who all the players are in the poo poo that went down though.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

New Gunka no Balzer. What a rad comic. I'll probably have to reread a few chapters to remember who all the players are in the poo poo that went down though.

Very interesting. Even if they follow history closely it will be fascinating to see how this all plays out.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Arbite posted:

Very interesting. Even if they follow history closely it will be fascinating to see how this all plays out.
By now it looks like they are following history as closely as Valkyria Chronicles did.

Still a fun story with nice characters.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

tonberrytoby posted:

By now it looks like they are following history as closely as Valkyria Chronicles did.

Still a fun story with nice characters.

I like how the mangaka justified using more modern trains than the ones commonly used on that time because they looked too cute. It's true, though, early locomotives are pretty silly-looking and unimposing. See the Adler, Germany's first train:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Plutonis posted:

I like how the mangaka justified using more modern trains than the ones commonly used on that time because they looked too cute. It's true, though, early locomotives are pretty silly-looking and unimposing. See the Adler, Germany's first train:

Well, they do visit the king in what is probably supposed to be Neuschwanstein. I became useable in 1884. By that time there were electric trains.

Also the Adler was a Bavarian and not a Prussian train anyways, so exactly the opposite of what the Manga wants.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I must say I am confused with that comic. Is it taking place in the post Holy Roman Empire transition into Imperial Germany timeframe or is the story occurring in its own world created by the author but taking heavy notes from that timeframe?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

YouTuber posted:

I must say I am confused with that comic. Is it taking place in the post Holy Roman Empire transition into Imperial Germany timeframe or is the story occurring in its own world created by the author but taking heavy notes from that timeframe?
It's a fantasy world that happens to look almost exactly like 19th century Germany. There are some really obvious parallels to real countries, but they're all originally named and there are some subtle differences.

Haven't read the past few chapters though. I really need to catch up. Because it was awesome.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

YouTuber posted:

the story occurring in its own world created by the author but taking heavy notes from that timeframe?

It's this. I'm a little worried that people would think otherwise.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

.Clash posted:

It's this. I'm a little worried that people would think otherwise.

Yeah, I was referring to the fact that this chapter was Schleswig-Holstein as gently caress. History spoilers I guess we'll get a better idea of how close it's going to follow history if notAustria joins the war.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Arbite posted:

Yeah, I was referring to the fact that this chapter was Schleswig-Holstein as gently caress. History spoilers I guess we'll get a better idea of how close it's going to follow history if notAustria joins the war.

I also wonder whether he'll find one crazy dude, one dead dude and a forgetful one.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've started reading Vagabond. I actually didn't know what it was about besides "samurai doing samurai things" at first, so the revelation of who the MC is actually surprised me since I don't know anything about the historical figures besides his fight with Kojriou. Though of course it's still historical FICTION since Kojirou's identity in this contradicts what little I DO know about the situation. Anyway, it's pretty loving good so far! I don't like it as much as say, Vinland Saga or Otoyomegatari due to simple genre preferences but I can't say I'm not hooked. Still only 57 chapters in, but the art's been consistently awesome and the writing is all that cool Kurosawa style samurai poo poo that's always interesting to see.

e: holy poo poo

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 10, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Vagabond owns and has absolutely gorgeous art. Everyone should read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Rodyle posted:

I've started reading Vagabond. I actually didn't know what it was about besides "samurai doing samurai things" at first, so the revelation of who the MC is actually surprised me since I don't know anything about the historical figures besides his fight with Kojriou. Though of course it's still historical FICTION since Kojirou's identity in this contradicts what little I DO know about the situation. Anyway, it's pretty loving good so far! I don't like it as much as say, Vinland Saga or Otoyomegatari due to simple genre preferences but I can't say I'm not hooked. Still only 57 chapters in, but the art's been consistently awesome and the writing is all that cool Kurosawa style samurai poo poo that's always interesting to see.

e: holy poo poo

His watercolors are especially gorgeous. Treasure the color pages you occasionally get, because it's peak manga art.