Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So there's a new Suicide Commando album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYVnHeh7mYE

The bloggers at I Die: You Die had this to say:

quote:

Johan Van Roy is pretty creatively conservative. For all the dimestore transgression is his lyrics (death, murder, god hates us/is a dick, etc.) he sticks close to what’s been working for him since the massive breakthrough that was 2000′s Mindstrip. And why not? His audience seems content for him to produce upgraded versions of the same minor key oontz exercises every couple of years, complete with slightly better production and a new set of evil movie samples. Aside from the dubious distinction of being the band who has inspired more awful EBM than anyone else (arguably a title shared with the similarly hidebound Hocico) there hasn’t been much that argues for Suicide Commando’s relevance beyond his existing fanbase.

http://www.idieyoudie.com/2013/05/suicide-commando-when-evil-speaks/
I'm okay with that. I like what I've heard. Also, that blog has become the Pitchfork of industrial music. Really pretentious writing with all of these weird extraneous reasons for liking or not liking a record. It's rarely what you're hearing but what it reflects about something completely arbitrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

W424 posted:

It's not terrible, but not great either. I really wish they'd do some stuff that wasn't kid friendly/pop.

I know, it's such a blatant ripoff of Call Me Maybe.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Omi-Polari posted:

Really pretentious writing with all of these weird extraneous reasons for liking or not liking a record.

I dunno, I feel their pain. Part of me likes what I hear and wants to bob to it but at the same time another part of me is so loving bored by it. It's a weird ambivalence that is difficult to express without seeming pretentious.

No doubt I'll dance like a moron to it in a club but you know. I'm not going to listen to it day-to-day.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's a good point. I've never written about music, either. Like trying to capture something in 400+ words every day. It's probably a lot different when you're doing that.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Sloppy posted:

A track from the new Aesthetic Perfection album is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3ha-Obl2-g

It's not bad I guess, but it sure is weak compared to what he used to do :(

As somebody who was pretty much introduced to harsh electro with AP's "A Violent Emotion", I would not believe that this is from the same band. It actually sounds a lot closer to Graves' Necessary Response stuff, which was also really good. Hell, just do a new NR album instead of this.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I still think it sounds like Blue Stahli met Ashbury Heights. Also still not sure how to feel about this.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Is there an Electronic Saviors III on its way? Very bizarre track otherwise. I don't get an Ashbury Heights vibe at all though.

edit:

"You're the antibody. You're not like anybody. Much more than just somebody."

God drat that's horrific.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 10, 2013

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

I Die: You Die posted:

Johan Van Roy is pretty creatively conservative. For all the dimestore transgression is his lyrics (death, murder, god hates us/is a dick, etc.) he sticks close to what’s been working for him since the massive breakthrough that was 2000′s Mindstrip. And why not? His audience seems content for him to produce upgraded versions of the same minor key oontz exercises every couple of years, complete with slightly better production and a new set of evil movie samples. Aside from the dubious distinction of being the band who has inspired more awful EBM than anyone else (arguably a title shared with the similarly hidebound Hocico) there hasn’t been much that argues for Suicide Commando’s relevance beyond his existing fanbase.

Omi-Polari posted:

I'm okay with that. I like what I've heard. Also, that blog has become the Pitchfork of industrial music. Really pretentious writing with all of these weird extraneous reasons for liking or not liking a record. It's rarely what you're hearing but what it reflects about something completely arbitrary.
I've got no loving idea what you're talking about; nothing about that paragraph is the least bit affected or abstruse.

I like ID:YD for calling out a lot of the "transgressive" content in industrial music for being rather mundane fantasies of a privileged audience, just like it is in the metal scene. And Christ yes, SC and Hocico have inspired so many godawful bands who sound like they layer the sound of a dishwasher over everything that I got my friends saying YASCRO (yet another Suicide Commando rip-off) to warn each other away from lovely harsh EBM albums without needing a detailed conversation.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 10, 2013

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
Anyone heard about Primitive Race? So far all we know is "We're an industrial project featuring Chris Vrenna, Luc Van Acker, Raymond Watts, Chris Kniker and more! All will be revealed in good time."

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

SacrificialGoat posted:

Anyone heard about Primitive Race? So far all we know is "We're an industrial project featuring Chris Vrenna, Luc Van Acker, Raymond Watts, Chris Kniker and more! All will be revealed in good time."

I have followed them on Facebook after they turned up on Raymond Watts's feed, they've yet to release any tracks but it seems like they could be worth a try.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
First of all, let me say I wish I could speak multiple languages. I have a ton of respect for people in Europe who learn and can speak English. I really don't know how they do it. As a Canadian, I took mandatory French classes for 10 years and yet I barely know a word of it. It's such a challenge and I have nothing but envy and respect for those bilingual. That being said...

I am a little surprised at how many European industrial musicians (who are still developing and advancing their English) are so quick to write all their songs in English. Lyrics are poetry. Especially abstract industrial lyrics. They can get pretty deep. And sometimes, if your not fluent in that language.. well sometimes it shows. I'm not complaining or trying to be insulting. I just find it odd that they don't try and do more stuff in their original language. Hell, I'd love to check out some sick Russian version of Ministry or NIN or Skinny Puppy or whatever. But of course I tend to see more European bands doing a broken-English thing rather than that. Which I assume is because most 'Murican fans wouldn't put up with it(?)

Actually, I think the only thing I'd like to see MORE than that, is a US/Canadian/British born-and-raised industrial band go to like Germany or Russia and try and write all their songs in broken German or Russian. Someone get on that.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

The Cleaner posted:

Actually, I think the only thing I'd like to see MORE than that, is a US/Canadian/British born-and-raised industrial band go to like Germany or Russia and try and write all their songs in broken German or Russian. Someone get on that.

There's always Hanzel und Gretyl.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

As a linguist and fan of all kinds of different languages I don't really like how English is so prevalent in music nowadays. It just seems like the easy way out, a way to instantly make your music have a slightly bigger audience. I'd much prefer people making music in their own language - it's always more personal and you can always go so much deeper when you're writing in your own language. Also, English is a fantastic language for expressing certain kinds of things, but it can't do everything.

That said, one reason (apart from the whole English as pop music's language thing) that might play into this is that English seems like a pretty "easy" language for lyrics as it is in many respects quite a compact language. Words are usually somewhat shorter when compared to, say, other European languages, which enables you to pack a lot of words into a line and rhyme stuff easily. This stems partly from English not having much in the way of morphology, since different verb endings or cases and such often add length to words. Those might also make it more difficult to rhyme words in the way you can in English as well. I mean I don't actually know if this is even one of the reasons but it's what came to mind first. Also no idea why English is so popular in industrial.

e: I'm personally planning to start a new project in the summer which'll actually have vocals. All my stuff this far has been instrumental but I just want to see if I can compose actual "songs" with actual vocals and poo poo. I don't have a singer yet and I'm not all that interested in writing lyrics myself either, but I'm definitely going to ask the whoever will write the lyrics to at least try to write something in Finnish first. Ours is a difficult language to use in music but when used well it can be mind-blowing!

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 12, 2013

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg3KLOQulec

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

"Forth hence"? Sir, please step out from behind the synthesizer and put your hands behind your back.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I haven't listened to much Skinny Puppy in the last few years but I'm really really diggin that track. Feels like a step away from the sound of their last two albums, which is a good thing.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

It looks like they released another track from the upcoming album Weapon.

Check out saLvo.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

hatelull posted:

It looks like they released another track from the upcoming album Weapon.

Check out saLvo.

Holy poo poo I'm buying the poo poo out of this album :supaburn:

e: Is it just me or is there something vaguely Project Pitchforkish about the sounds in this track?

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH
I had a chance to visit someone who got a copy of weapon from ogre himself and listened to (some of) it.

gotta say that its better than I expected it to be. those who really hated handover will be pleasantly surprised with this album. it really sounds like skinny puppy's renaissance. also, the "remake" of solvent was a joy to listen to.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

spider_ross.avi posted:

I had a chance to visit someone who got a copy of weapon from ogre himself and listened to (some of) it.

gotta say that its better than I expected it to be. those who really hated handover will be pleasantly surprised with this album. it really sounds like skinny puppy's renaissance. also, the "remake" of solvent was a joy to listen to.

Does it sound like Skinny Puppy or does it sound like the weird hybrid OhGr/SP thing they've had going on for a while now?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Hasn't every album since Greater Wrong been the one to get back to the classic sound / move away from the Ohgr stuff?

I really like the new material (just like I really like Ohgr), but the tracks released so far have sounded like a pretty natural progression from the last few albums, not a huge leap or anything. I'm beginning to worry that Skinny Puppy are going to fall into the KMFDM trap of every album being carried by a train of "it finally sounds different" hype, only for people to remember that Lucia will never be En Esch and Mark Walk will never be Dwayne when it finally comes out and still sounds like they have since the reunion.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I feel like people forget that Skinny Puppy was a band before Dwayne joined. They wrote Assimilate, Smothered Hope, Solvent, Far Too Frail, The Choke, and a lot more before Dwayne joined the band. Dwayne was an incredible musician, but it's not like Skinny Puppy wrote all their classic tracks with his help.

Rave, on the other hand...

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

sethsez posted:

I really like the new material (just like I really like Ohgr), but the tracks released so far have sounded like a pretty natural progression from the last few albums, not a huge leap or anything. I'm beginning to worry that Skinny Puppy are going to fall into the KMFDM trap of every album being carried by a train of "it finally sounds different" hype, only for people to remember that Lucia will never be En Esch and Mark Walk will never be Dwayne when it finally comes out and still sounds like they have since the reunion.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think this is the case. It's sad how many bands fall into this exact category for me. You keep waiting for that next album to be like the classics you fell in love with but it never happens.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Twiin posted:

I feel like people forget that Skinny Puppy was a band before Dwayne joined. They wrote Assimilate, Smothered Hope, Solvent, Far Too Frail, The Choke, and a lot more before Dwayne joined the band. Dwayne was an incredible musician, but it's not like Skinny Puppy wrote all their classic tracks with his help.

Rave, on the other hand...

And Sascha did some great material without being anywhere near En Esch, but the most classic lineup still included him.

The old Skinny Puppy stuff is absolutely fantastic, but Dwanye joining was really when the most iconic era of the band started (regardless of how much of it was actually his doing). But the last time they really sounded like that was two decades and one member ago, and it's unfortunate they still get compared to that because unlike KMFDM, I think what they're putting out now manages to stand on its own just fine.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 16, 2013

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Was any reason ever given as to why Sascha didn't keep going with MDFMK? It was such a solid new sound for him.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Didn't Skold leave for Manson pretty soon after that? I might be getting my timelines messed up, but I think that was the reason.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
He did. The band only released one album because it was a failed attempt to relive KMFDM.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

On the subject of people wanting Skinny Puppy to make a new "classic" Skinny Puppy album and not getting one:

Well, quit waiting for one. Skinny Puppy's "classic" albums were released decades ago. Do you really expect they are the same people or musicians as they were back then? Those albums are already finished and out. Why would they, as musicians and artists, want to do something they already did years ago? Bands often say that their new album is going back to their roots or something similar, and sometimes fans are disappointed because to them it doesn't sound like that at all. What the fans don't often realize is that for the musicians it might not be about the music sounding the same per se. It could very well be something like the general workflow they're going back to when working on new songs, or the mood they're in while in the studio, or just the general feeling they get from the new tracks (which might be completely different from what the fan will hear). Music is incredibly subjective, and for no one else is it more subjective than the musicians themselves who've (hopefully) put their very soul into it. That's the perspective fans will never really understand, unless they make music themselves and start seeing the decisions that go into making a track from a different point of view, I guess.

I think that the kind of fan who doesn't like the output of a long-running band like SP has two options: Either they can just be content with not liking the new output and listen to the "classics" they already have and want to hear, or try to understand the people behind the music, their motivations and reasons for making the kind of music they are making, and, through that, maybe find reasons to like the newer stuff or at the very least understand why the band sounds like it does and why it might never sound like the fan wants. I like the latter option myself. It's infinitely more rewarding.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 16, 2013

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP
Revolver just posted the full album to stream. Those lovely 64kbs samples didn't do it justice. It isn't the second coming of VIVIsetctVI or Too Dark Park, but it kicks the poo poo out the rest of the post reunion material.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

At this point I want to wait until I have the vinyl I ordered in my hands.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

On the subject of people wanting Skinny Puppy to make a new "classic" Skinny Puppy album and not getting one:

Well, quit waiting for one. Skinny Puppy's "classic" albums were released decades ago. Do you really expect they are the same people or musicians as they were back then? Those albums are already finished and out. Why would they, as musicians and artists, want to do something they already did years ago? Bands often say that their new album is going back to their roots or something similar, and sometimes fans are disappointed because to them it doesn't sound like that at all. What the fans don't often realize is that for the musicians it might not be about the music sounding the same per se. It could very well be something like the general workflow they're going back to when working on new songs, or the mood they're in while in the studio, or just the general feeling they get from the new tracks (which might be completely different from what the fan will hear). Music is incredibly subjective, and for no one else is it more subjective than the musicians themselves who've (hopefully) put their very soul into it. That's the perspective fans will never really understand, unless they make music themselves and start seeing the decisions that go into making a track from a different point of view, I guess.

I think that the kind of fan who doesn't like the output of a long-running band like SP has two options: Either they can just be content with not liking the new output and listen to the "classics" they already have and want to hear, or try to understand the people behind the music, their motivations and reasons for making the kind of music they are making, and, through that, maybe find reasons to like the newer stuff or at the very least understand why the band sounds like it does and why it might never sound like the fan wants. I like the latter option myself. It's infinitely more rewarding.

Ogre himself said he's not the same angry person as he was. I love classic SP but I also love their new stuff outside of a track or two on each album. I'm sure everyone who has worked with music projects has questioned if they should continue doing the same thing to maintain consistency or to branch out and try something new. The way I see the new SP is they're now the older guys standing at the bar watching a show instead of being neck deep in the pit. They're enjoying the music but they're not as focused on the audience as they were before.

As for fans berating a musician on exploring their options, they run the risk of sounding like a NIN fanatic. (no offense intended as I enjoy NIN and Trent's projects)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

samurai slowdown posted:

It isn't the second coming of VIVIsetctVI or Too Dark Park

Yeah, but nothing is.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think the issue is so much that they're not retreading the TDP sound or whatever (and Skinny Puppy's sound has changed a lot from album-to-album so there is no definitive classic sound), it's just that the post-reunion stuff just flat out isn't as good as the stuff they did before. I'd be perfectly content if they did an album that was an entirely new sound for them, but with songwriting as good as the old stuff. Thus far it hasn't happened.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't think the issue is so much that they're not retreading the TDP sound or whatever (and Skinny Puppy's sound has changed a lot from album-to-album so there is no definitive classic sound), it's just that the post-reunion stuff just flat out isn't as good as the stuff they did before. I'd be perfectly content if they did an album that was an entirely new sound for them, but with songwriting as good as the old stuff. Thus far it hasn't happened.

I respectively disagree about the quality loss but to each their own. I'd say the quality has improved in production, song writing, and musicianship.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I'm probably a poo poo-eating heretic to some of the people here, but thus far I've enjoyed HanDover the most out of all Skinny Puppy albums.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I just finished listening to the new one, and like HanDover better too ha. Paragun is pretty good though.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

I just finished listening to the new one, and like HanDover better too ha. Paragun is pretty good though.

Oh, right, I managed to forget there was a stream already. Listening to this thang right now.

e: :sbahj:

e2: Hey there are also some long rear end snippets of the new Covenant EP available here. It sounds loving lovely!

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 16, 2013

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think where things went wrong for me for Skinny Puppy/OhGr was around 2001-2002 or so. I wish OhGr still sounded like the first album/tour, and I wish the proper Skinny Puppy material was more in the vein of Frozen Sky, than anything the bands actually ended up doing.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think where things went wrong for me for Skinny Puppy/OhGr was around 2001-2002 or so. I wish OhGr still sounded like the first album/tour, and I wish the proper Skinny Puppy material was more in the vein of Frozen Sky, than anything the bands actually ended up doing.

I also like Welt and Frozen Sky more than the stuff that came later, but I'll still take Greater Wrong and HanDover over Mind and The Process, and maybe Rabies as well (I love about half of Rabies and am bored to tears by the other half of it). They don't quite match up to Remission, Bites, Cleanse, VIVIsect VI, Too Dark Park or Last Rites, but I don't think they're universally worse than everything pre-breakup, nor do I think they're bad albums on their own.

Mythmaker is garbage, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

They are still capable of plastering skulls to the ceiling live, so I am perfectly OK with whatever sound they have on this record. I figure it will be a natural progression from Handover, so I'm ok with cEVIN's hyperactive keyboards and nu-style vocals from Ogre.

I never saw Ogre's first solo tour, but I cannot imagine it being a superior live experience to the Devils in my Details tour. That was a really great thing. What do you guys specifically not like about the albums after Welt?