Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Zhaan posted:

Has anyone had issues with saves reverting?

I've been trying to get 100% over the past week and despite seeing the autosaves at camps when I check in with my new collectibles, I've loaded my game back up twice to find out that it's dropped from 80 or so percent to 76% percent, erasing the progress of two small areas I've completed. It feels like at this rate I'm going to have to do it all in one go, because I've already gotten some of the drat collectibles three times.

This is on PC and through Steam.

I didn't have that issue but could it be because of the Cloud saving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So here's what's probably a highly stupid question; what on earth do you do with that rope pillar in the Coastal Forest? Usually there would be something else nearby to attach a zip line with, or tugging on the rope pillar itself would do something, but...nope, nothing. I feel like I'm missing something very obvious.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

If you're early in the game and not revisiting, you're lacking an upgrade you'll get later. Unless I'm totally remembering wrong.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

DeathChicken posted:

So here's what's probably a highly stupid question; what on earth do you do with that rope pillar in the Coastal Forest? Usually there would be something else nearby to attach a zip line with, or tugging on the rope pillar itself would do something, but...nope, nothing. I feel like I'm missing something very obvious.

There is a pole you can a attach a line to higher up, at the same spot you find a GPS tracker. It's pretty much completely unnecessary, though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I just finished the game and overall I like it, though some of it is a bit of a grind. For me there's some things that stop it from being great but they're not major issues - just things that annoyed me.

I hated how in some situations, going all Rambo with the Bow is isn't good enough. I liked skulking around and being the hunter but the game (loving Shantytown) forces you into these arena battles that have you die fairly quickly. There's one brief section that has all those Hunter platforms up in the trees wherein you can take down the guys on the ground with the Bow without them knowing you're there and it was a lot of fun and felt like more of what the game should be. It's a bigger issue that games are wrestling with now where for a lot of them this stuff ends up being the less interesting part (The same complaint is levelled at Uncharted, Spec Ops and Bioshock) so I'm not all that surprised by it. It was just a pain where you encounter a really good traversal section that's just ruined by an arena battle against the same uninteresting enemies.

As for the 'Lara is a killing machine far too efficiently'. I sort of agree there. It sort of misses the middle part of her journey in a lot of ways. It's interesting that the writer of the game brings this up to, that they ramp that stuff up far quicker than they would've liked to. It's essentially poor story telling, but then I think games are always going to have this issue of marrying the gameplay to the narrative that's always going to result in this disconnect. Far Cry 3 is probably the more egregious example of this seeing as every time you skin an animal he acts like it's the first time. And there's the hilarious "WHAT HAVE I BECOME?" moment towards the end of course.

On a positive note I love the Island, even if I don't find the supernatural aspect of it that interesting. But the writers do a great job of showing what has come before you and really fill in this great history. Part of me just thinks it would've been better if ultimately it was left a mystery though.

I'm going back to pick up all the stuff I've missed and it would've been great to get the platinum rating on it - it's just a shame that the MP is so bad that it'll never happen.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Is there a way to tone down the shaky-cam when Lara's running around in this game? I've gotten to parts of this game where I can start backtracking and looking around and just exploring for necessary periods of time is giving me motion sickness.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Man, that cave section is hilarious. "We praise you, deity of fire! Let the flames cleanse all infidels and *flame arrow to nearby gas leak*"

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.
Hmm, I've been having a bit of a problem with the game recently.

Whenever I try to play-through the beginning of the game, the QTE sequence where I have to scramble up the incline toward the exit of the caves is causing my game to crash. It always happens around the point where I have to dodge the second rock falling toward Lara, for whatever reason. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have a fix for it? I've tried to reinstall the game to bypass it, but it continues to happen in that exact spot each time.

I'm honestly not sure what to do in order to fix it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Is there a way to tone down the shaky-cam when Lara's running around in this game? I've gotten to parts of this game where I can start backtracking and looking around and just exploring for necessary periods of time is giving me motion sickness.

Turn off the motion blur. It helps somewhat.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

notZaar posted:

Hah, well that's the general idea with hair. Now we just need the computing power to make the noodles smaller and more numerous.
Ask and ye shall receive:

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Tomb Raider $20 right now on Green Man Gaming with voucher GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA

Today only I think. Can't wait to get home and try this game out! Between this and Blood Dragon my week is set.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Just got this on the Steam sale. Liking it so far in general. Are the QTEs annoying anyone else or am I just really bad at it? I've seen Lara get a spike through her head so many times I've stopped wincing. Aside from that, it's pretty good, just wish combat was a little more lethal and they'd committed to the survival mechanics.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
The gruesome QTE deaths do start to come less frequent the further in the game you get. I was a little miffed that survival is very minimal compared to the combat but once you realize it's not going away and you build up your arsenal you get a good adrenaline rush from killing these crazy cultists! I think the platforming is where this game really shines.

Pick up the game while you can guys that is a very good price!

Just picked up Tomb Raider: Anniversary man they did a good job revamping the original game, they cut a lot of out dated game concepts, kept and improved the good stuff and added extra bits and pieces. I'm really hooked!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I found the game to really pewter out around the halfway point, maybe I'm just silly but I liked the exploration in the previous games and various environments, everything just kinda starts to meld together after awhile and there's just to many drat shooting sections.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Ronnie posted:

The gruesome QTE deaths do start to come less frequent the further in the game you get. I was a little miffed that survival is very minimal compared to the combat but once you realize it's not going away and you build up your arsenal you get a good adrenaline rush from killing these crazy cultists! I think the platforming is where this game really shines.

Pick up the game while you can guys that is a very good price!

Just picked up Tomb Raider: Anniversary man they did a good job revamping the original game, they cut a lot of out dated game concepts, kept and improved the good stuff and added extra bits and pieces. I'm really hooked!

They also cut out a lot of the interesting parts of the original. The Atlantis level in particular got butchered horribly.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, the Steam sale has me intruiged, but I am a poor college student and money is currently tight enough that I don't want to drop 25 on something I don't have a lot of fun with - If I thought Uncharted (seems to be the best comparison from what I've seen) was fun and exciting but it didn't bring me running back for a second playthrough, is this worth 25? I will admit, to be fair to Uncharted, that I did play the series long after watching Chip and Ironicus LP the first two, which probably made them lose a bit of value.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ya man I legitimately enjoyed my time with Tomb Raider. For 25 bucks, it's a fair price for what'll be about 10 or more hours of play time.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Uncharted's one of my favorite series, and I enjoyed Tomb Raider a lot. The tone of the story is radically different, and the gameplay's initially more about survival than epic hero stuff. What really sold me on it was the control scheme. It reinforced my long-term desire of a mouse and keyboard setup for UC.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Ronnie posted:

Yeah I was surprised that they bother with the animal/hunting stuff when its importance completely disappears an hour into the game. I was reading an interview with one of the developers where a playtest revealed gamers wanted "more action" so they upped the shooting a lot to compensate. I think it still ended up a good game but I would have loved to see more puzzles and exploration.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I basically just want to see a MGS-style stamina system, not a big deal but something to pay attention to, and a Far Cry-style healing system since taking bullets doesn't feel severe enough.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

I basically just want to see a MGS-style stamina system, not a big deal but something to pay attention to, and a Far Cry-style healing system since taking bullets doesn't feel severe enough.

That would be a pretty interesting hybrid healing system. I could dig it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Ya man I legitimately enjoyed my time with Tomb Raider. For 25 bucks, it's a fair price for what'll be about 10 or more hours of play time.

Try 40 hours! I've beaten it twice (100% completion on both difficulties) and played some MP. drat fine game.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Alteisen posted:

I found the game to really pewter out around the halfway point, maybe I'm just silly but I liked the exploration in the previous games and various environments, everything just kinda starts to meld together after awhile and there's just to many drat shooting sections.

This is either a typo or the best pun about the number of stupid pots you have to find.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I thought there were no enemies when you went back to previously completed areas? I was mopping up the last few missing items from Mountain Pass and there were baddies :argh:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah it's pretty neat. Some areas repopulate lightly and you can eavesdrop on the groups of baddies talking about what you've done or just bullshit around. It's honestly really well done.

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
About 3/4 of the way through here. I have to say I'm starting to feel a bit disappointed in how the "collect-a-thon" aspect of the game seems to work. While having nice large open areas with tons of stuff to find is great, it seems like there is pretty much no challenge or accomplishment whatsoever in actually finding and collecting the stuff because its all so easy to find and reach. Hey, some huts. First lets get the thingy in the hut, then jump up to the roof to get the other thingy, then look behind the hut for the next thingy, then look under the hut, move on to next hut etc,... Usually I like to take my time and explore in a game like this but at this point I really don't care about "easy gps cache #324" and am just rushing to the main objective. Exploring all the nooks and crannies just doesn't feel satisfying to me like it really should in a game like this. In the old games you'd have a few secrets per level as well as a few hidden item caches, some of which are really hard to find or really out of the way and it felt good to find them. I would have much rather seen a lot less things to find but more hidden paths and tougher platforming sequences to find them.

Phyein fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 9, 2013

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Well the idea is the additional story content is the reward.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Phyein posted:

Usually I like to take my time and explore in a game like this but at this point I really don't care about "easy gps cache #324" and am just rushing to the main objective.
I agree that GPS caches is the least revealing collectible type. But relics and documents are neat. Documents actually tell you a lot about the motivations of various characters and relationships between them, relics have a lot of flavor and some of them contain hidden details when you rotate them. Also collecting all GPS caches will reveal a hidden message at the end that might be a clue for the sequel. Salvage crates on the other hand contain wepon parts and you won't be able to upgrade them if you just avoid them.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 9, 2013

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Palpek posted:

I agree that GPS caches is the least revealing collectible type. But relics and documents are neat. Documents actually tell you a lot about the motivations of various characters and relationships between them, relics have a lot of flavor and some of them contain hidden details when you rotate them. Also collecting all GPS caches will reveal a hidden message at the end that might be a clue for the sequel. Salvage crates on the other hand contain wepon parts and you won't be able to upgrade them if you just avoid them.

What is the hidden message? I got 100%, but I didn't notice a message I was mashing b by the end of collecting everything :(

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
I think you misunderstand my point, it's not necessarily the actual findings/rewards themselves that I find dissatisfying, rather the fact that nearly all the collectables and challenges aren't really hidden or present any challenge to collect. They're just all over and you're constantly just running into them near automatically rather than having to search off the beaten path, really use your eyes, or perform some tough out of the way platforming to get to. I guess that's the nature of having so many collectables, and maybe I am missing certain more difficult things, I don't know yet. But the exploration factor so far has been very "meh" to me.

I think overall lack of any kind of platforming challenge which used to be what the originals I loved were all about has a lot to do with it as well. It's a solid game, looks great, pretty fun to play and far from the worst TR but it really feels like the least "tomb raider"-y game so far to me. The series has made so many advances in style and changes in base mechanics (some better, some worse imo) but it seems like the positive changes always have to coincide with more action, less platforming and I don't see why that has to be.

Phyein fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 10, 2013

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

superh posted:

What is the hidden message? I got 100%, but I didn't notice a message I was mashing b by the end of collecting everything :(

You can see it in the document viewer, but its basically a tiny bit more information about the "Trinity" organization mentioned in a document you can find in the research base. That first document is a telegraph saying that "Trinity" is concerned that the Nazi's will acquire the power the island has. The second document, which you get for collecting all the GPS caches, is the finals words of an agent "Trinity" sent to the island to investigate what was happening (I guess all those shipwrecks and missing persons caught their attention) but was mortally wounded by the cult. He says to his "replacement" (the person he deduces is the only person who could find the GPS's) to kill Mathias before he "reawakens the enemy that has long lain dormant."

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Don't forget to check the journal after beating the game!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Finally! I can play this without throwing up. Setting a custom resolution and using the in-game option to adapt to its ratio has increased the Field of View as a result, though with black bars on the top and bottom of my display. The wider view really helps with my headaches whenever the camera decides to do its stupid "raw cinematography" swaying and tilting while following Lara.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I finished this. I liked it a whole lot. Could have done with some more tomb raiding and less peakaboo combat against human enemies. Some tigers or bears or something wouldn't have gone astray, there's these little nods to the previous games with the twin pistols and stuff but none of the enemies from the original besides wolves.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Is there really no NG+? How annoying.

My weapons are nearly fully upgraded and Lara's skills are almost maxed out but now I've finished the game there's no way (or even reason) to finish these off?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Yeah, there isn't a whole lot to do after you finish it which is a shame because I thought it was really fun. There are a few groups of enemies having amusing conversations you can fight, but that's about it. The one in Shantytown is pretty funny if you listen to the whole thing. I was really hoping for some single player dlc but I guess that is probably not going to happen.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Would absolutely kill for some sort of arena mode. The General's burial area was an absolutely amazing fight - constantly getting flushed out of cover so you couldn't camp, but it was designed in such a way that you always had something to fall back into and weren't unfairly exposed. It was brilliantly frantic.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
So it looks to me that there's no way to grind scrap after completing the game. Just the few guys you encounter around Shantytown and here and there. Maybe two at a time that drop like 15 pieces each.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

poptart_fairy posted:

Would absolutely kill for some sort of arena mode. The General's burial area was an absolutely amazing fight - constantly getting flushed out of cover so you couldn't camp, but it was designed in such a way that you always had something to fall back into and weren't unfairly exposed. It was brilliantly frantic.

Yeah, I loved the combat. Frantic is a good word. I think maybe the shield guys were under utilized a bit though, it would have been cool if they got thrown into the mix more often.

Pocket Billiards posted:

So it looks to me that there's no way to grind scrap after completing the game. Just the few guys you encounter around Shantytown and here and there. Maybe two at a time that drop like 15 pieces each.

You can still hunt boars and stuff, right? I'm pretty sure even if you overhunt an area that it will be replenished and give full value if you exit the area then come back. I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

poptart_fairy posted:

What is this "cover" you speak of? I would charge into groups and hack most of them to death with the axe and finish off the survivors with the shotgun :black101: Loved the combat and I wish the sequel (if there is one) expands on the melee fighting. I'd love to be able to ambush them with melee attacks from above. The sand throwing mechanic was neat but completely useless and I hope they will still include a tweaked version. Sure, melee doesn't exactly sound "Tomb Raider" but whatever.

• Locked thread