Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh man someone finally took over the GV Extensions. At least the calling one. "Call on GV" is out for 6.1 and above and brings back native GV calling. Also, the app is free.

Now they need to do the SMS one and I'll be set.

Does this work like the official Google Voice app (where it first calls your number, then calls the number you wanted to dial) or is it like Talkatone (places calls over wifi)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

I know there was some discussion a while back about cleaning up the section of storage called 'other' on the iphone.

Would anyone be able to regurgitate the processes that were talked about that seemed to do the trick?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Quine Connoisseur posted:

Does this work like the official Google Voice app (where it first calls your number, then calls the number you wanted to dial) or is it like Talkatone (places calls over wifi)?

There's a couple of modes you can choose from:

1. Direct Dial - Calls directly to the phone number (by calling the GV relay number). Masks it on the call log so you see your contacts number instead of some weird number. This is what I use. Aside from a small pop-up when the call is being initiated, there's no difference from making a regular call.

2. GV Call Back - Like one of the GV app options. Calls you then patches you through.

3. GV Offline Dial - I think this one calls GV, enters your PIN, then dials out? It's for when you have no data.

4. Carrier - Doesn't use GV

You can set any of those options as the default or pick one before each call. The app also comes with a separate "app" in which you can set rules based on area codes or specific numbers. So you can set X numbers to direct dial while Y area codes are done through your carrier.

TL;DR - It's free, just try it out.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

shootforit posted:

I know there was some discussion a while back about cleaning up the section of storage called 'other' on the iphone.

Would anyone be able to regurgitate the processes that were talked about that seemed to do the trick?

Download iCleaner, run it.

Errant911
Aug 17, 2007
We live by the sword.
So, there was a mishap and I went from a 5.1 jailbreak and now I'm at a clean 6.1.3 on a 4s. I know my jailbreak is lost, but every time I try to restore my backup data (pictuers, contacts, etc.) it fails. Is there any way to access my photos, contacts , or am I going to have to fork over cash for one of those 3rd part backup extractors?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Errant911 posted:

am I going to have to fork over cash for one of those 3rd part backup extractors?
If it comes down to that (sorry, I have no insight on restore issue), be sure and try out iTools first.

http://itools.hk/en_index.htm

It is very easy to use and helped me get back a friend's complete contact list (as a .csv or vCard) and Camera Roll. It'll do more, too.

The whole app is a single executable.

Errant911
Aug 17, 2007
We live by the sword.
Thanks Tapedump, I was able to get my photos and videos, but I'll check this out to see if I can restore my contacts. I really wish that when trying to restore a backup iTunes gave you more information about what happens when the restore fails rather than the generic "restore session failed."

Awesome! so I was able to get my contacts back with iTools. :)

Errant911 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 7, 2013

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Velox is out, and it's pretty grand. Unfortunately, since doing the "Velox" thing to an icon is essentially like opening a folder for that icon, you cannot "Velox" icons in folders.

This sort of breaks the way I use iOS, but eh.

Someone came out with a quick Stopwatch plugin for Clock.app. It's cool because I'm constantly timing stuff.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

bobfather posted:

Velox is out, and it's pretty grand. Unfortunately, since doing the "Velox" thing to an icon is essentially like opening a folder for that icon, you cannot "Velox" icons in folders.

This sort of breaks the way I use iOS, but eh.

Someone came out with a quick Stopwatch plugin for Clock.app. It's cool because I'm constantly timing stuff.

It is sorta cool, an apparently theyre working on folder support. I just love how quick it seems, accessing apps is much faster than actually launching stuff.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Two tweaks out today allowing one to send unlimited length media files via SMS and iMessage. iMessage attempt worked fine, haven't tried SMS yet.

"iMessage Unlimited Media Send" and "Carrier Unlimited Media Send"

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 7, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
You could tell us what they are called? :)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So velox is worth it eh?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I have an iPad 3 at iOS 5.1.1. I want to upgrade it to iOS 6.anything in order to get apps that only support 6. It is not jailbroken but I want to jailbreak it. Should I...

1: Jailbreak it at 5.1.1 and upgrade it using some type of jailbroken iOS upgrading scheme.
2: Upgrade to some 6.something version and jailbreak using that version's method.
3: Do something else.

Thanks for the help!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Christoff posted:

So velox is worth it eh?

Maaaaaybe. It looks neat, but most of the stuff is accomplished by other things you may or may not have. Settings toggles? SBSettings/NCSettings/Auxo. Quick music player access? Same things again. Quick weather? Enable the NC widget. Hopefully they can work on it or jazz it up a bit more, because honestly the speed at which apps open is the best part. Opening up camera and contacts are extremely fast.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there any way to change the source of the weather forecast?

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party

DaveKap posted:

I have an iPad 3 at iOS 5.1.1. I want to upgrade it to iOS 6.anything in order to get apps that only support 6. It is not jailbroken but I want to jailbreak it. Should I...

1: Jailbreak it at 5.1.1 and upgrade it using some type of jailbroken iOS upgrading scheme.
2: Upgrade to some 6.something version and jailbreak using that version's method.
3: Do something else.

Thanks for the help!

This is currently not possible and the only way you can maintain a jailbreak is by staying on 5.1.1

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

lox posted:

This is currently not possible and the only way you can maintain a jailbreak is by staying on 5.1.1
With the trend iOS hacking has been taking, if I upgraded to 6.1.3, would I eventually be able to jailbreak it? Or has Apple actually managed to lock down iOS for this device?

Edit: Thanks folks for helping a dumb iOS newbie out. Gonna upgrade just so I can snag the programs I want and wait to jailbreak later.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 8, 2013

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

DaveKap posted:

if I upgraded to 6.1.3, would I eventually be able to jailbreak it?
Once iOS 7 hits, yes. Unless by some miracle Apple has closed every possible security hole in the entire operating system.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Bouchacha posted:

Is there any way to change the source of the weather forecast?

I'm sure you could write a plugin to scrape data from wherever you want.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

status posted:

Once iOS 7 hits, yes. Unless by some miracle Apple has closed every possible security hole in the entire operating system.
Is there really no effort out there by the jailbreaking groups to figure out something for 6.1.3+? Every single new and refurbished iDevice now comes preloaded with 6.1.3, which puts a lot of people SOL when it comes to jailbreaking now.

We haven't even gotten an iOS7 preview yet. I don't want to wait that long.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Is there really no effort out there by the jailbreaking groups to figure out something for 6.1.3+? Every single new and refurbished iDevice now comes preloaded with 6.1.3, which puts a lot of people SOL when it comes to jailbreaking now.

We haven't even gotten an iOS7 preview yet. I don't want to wait that long.

Based on what I understand, they have exploits available now, but because the 6.0.x updates are so incremental they don't want to burn them until a major update (and potential new phone) comes out. They've all but said there are no plans to release a jailbreak til 7 hits.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
The Evasi0n team have already stated that they won't be looking into creating a jailbreak for 6.1.3 as one of their key software vulnerabilities was patched out. The remaining vulnerabilities aren't enough to get a jailbreak onto the device in a way the public can utilise, so they are saving it for the next main software release in the hope that it doesn't get patched out. Check out the Evasi0n website, they go into more detail there.

So yeah, if you're on 6.1.3 you're SOL. I'm in that boat, partly, as my iPhone 5 is on 6.1.3 while my iPad is still on 6.1.2.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Is it possible to upgrade to 6.1.2, or am I only allowed to update to the latest firmware?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Skywalker OG posted:

Is it possible to upgrade to 6.1.2, or am I only allowed to update to the latest firmware?

Right now, only the latest, which is 6.1.3. When a new version of iOS is* released, for a few days you can update to the immediately previous version of the new one by jumping through a few hoops (eg when Apple release 6.1.3, for ~3 days afterwards you could still update to 6.1.2). 6.1.3 has been out for more than three days though, so you're SOL.

Edit: grammar

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Yeah, it's really too bad that we have to depend on exploits but I guess that's a different discussion.

I can definitely understand Evasion (and other jailbreakers) keeping their exploits secret and not "wasting" them on a smaller releases like 6.1.3 and 6.1.4. It's definitely unfortunate but I can understand their position...

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Right now, only the latest, which is 6.1.3. When a new version of iOS is* released, for a few days you can update to the immediately previous version of the new one by jumping through a few hoops (eg when Apple release 6.1.3, for ~3 days afterwards you could still update to 6.1.2). 6.1.3 has been out for more than three days though, so you're SOL.

Edit: grammar

Oh drat. I've been out of the jailbreak loop for a while ago but I thought a while back you could choose a firmware file for iTunes to use manually. Is that no longer the case?

Is there anything big I'm missing out if I stick to 6.0.1 on my iPad?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Oh drat. I've been out of the jailbreak loop for a while ago but I thought a while back you could choose a firmware file for iTunes to use manually. Is that no longer the case?

Is there anything big I'm missing out if I stick to 6.0.1 on my iPad?

There is a way to restore to previous versions, but it requires that you have saved the SHSH blobs for the specific device and iOS version you want to downgrade - in the absence of you mentioning them, I'm assuming you don't have those saved/backed up (if you're curious about what they are specifically there's a small explanation of them in the OP, also check out the FAQ on TinyUmbrella).

Don't think you're missing a lot regarding 6.0.1. There was a bug with exchange repeatedly trying to push mail to devices and causing severe battery drain, but it didn't seem like a widespread bug.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Actually, newer devices can't downgrade at all if I remember right.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Damnit, the power button on my JB iPhone 5 is flaking out. I could take it in to get replaced, but then... :(

I've got until January for the warranty, so maybe I'll just stick it out until iOS7 and a jailbreak is out for that. I don't want to go without the jailbreak.

I guess I'd rather live with a flaky power button than not have NCSettings or Five Icon Dock.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

manero posted:

Damnit, the power button on my JB iPhone 5 is flaking out. I could take it in to get replaced, but then... :(

I've got until January for the warranty, so maybe I'll just stick it out until iOS7 and a jailbreak is out for that. I don't want to go without the jailbreak.

I guess I'd rather live with a flaky power button than not have NCSettings or Five Icon Dock.

Are you positive it's not the jailbreak causing it? I thought my home button was flaky but now I'm almost positive it's a software issue.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

King Nothing posted:

Are you positive it's not the jailbreak causing it? I thought my home button was flaky but now I'm almost positive it's a software issue.

I'm fairly certain, since it had been working fine for months with the jailbreak, and started acting up despite not making any changes. Plus it sounds like the power button on at least the early iPhone 5's have been known to give out.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
If you don't care about your warranty but also hate your flaky power button they are easy as hell to replace.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
My friend had a dodgy sleep button on his non-jailbroken 5. From what he told me it was an early model fwiw.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Actually, newer devices can't downgrade at all if I remember right.

This is correct. Apple patched the downgrade "trick" with iOS 5 (which was then bypassed by the jailbreak community), and more-so with iOS 6 (which has not been bypassed by the jailbreak community).

The only way to downgrade now to an older version of iOS 6 is using the limera1n exploit (A4 and older devices) only (except for the iPad 2), in addition to having the correct SHSH blob, and AP Ticket. That's three, very specific things you need.

For A5 and newer devices:

These devices may never be downgradable from iOS 6:
iPhone 5
iPhone 4S
iPod touch (fifth generation)
iPad mini
iPad 4
iPad 3

These devices can go back and forth with iOS 5 versions (5.1.1 -> 5.0.1 -> 5.1.1, etc), but only if there were never upgraded to iOS 6:
iPhone 4S
iPad 3

This device can be downgraded to iOS 4, and then upgraded back to iOS 5 (even if iOS 6 was installed):
iPad 2

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So having been out of the "new iOS" game for quite a while by owning legacy Apple products, what's the deal with the current iOS? Is it actually unjailbreak-able or are there likely jailbreak hooks available but they just don't want to waste them on a minor update and hoping to hit iOS7 when it comes out? Assuming we don't get another major revision between now and then.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
You're right on both counts. From what I've heard they still have a couple exploits, but can only be used on a dev account (and thus aren't publicly available). The team has also said they're going to wait for iOS7 so they don't 'waste' their existing exploits.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

Martytoof posted:

So having been out of the "new iOS" game for quite a while by owning legacy Apple products, what's the deal with the current iOS? Is it actually unjailbreak-able or are there likely jailbreak hooks available but they just don't want to waste them on a minor update and hoping to hit iOS7 when it comes out? Assuming we don't get another major revision between now and then.
There are definitely exploits to be found in iOS 6.1.3, but as you say, they don't want to use them until iOS 7. Most likely the same exploits that they can find in this version will still be there for iOS 7. However if they used these exploits for 6.1.3, Apple would fix them and they'd have to start all over again for iOS 7, delaying that jailbreak even further.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Forgive me for asking an impossible question, but how long would you speculate an untethered jailbreak of iOS 7 would take? As long as 6 or shorter?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Forgive me for asking an impossible question, but how long would you speculate an untethered jailbreak of iOS 7 would take? As long as 6 or shorter?

If past trends are any indicators, the jailbreaking window seems to be getting longer and longer. Back in the iOS 3 days, it took about a month to "hours" for a jailbreak to be available. It took about 5 months for a jailbreak to be available for iOS 6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_iOS_jailbreaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Can anyone recommend a tweak that will change your wallpaper at user-set intervals? I found something called Wallpaper AutoChanger on Cydia, but the dev seems to have stopped updating it with iOS 4.2.

• Locked thread