Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

lotus circle posted:

What is this comment even supposed to mean?

In DR1, everyone eventually formed pairs. Koizumi and Saionji recently paired up, and now Nidai and Akane have as well. I'm very curious about how these bizarre characters will interact with each other, probably more so than I am about the mystery of the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

BigDB posted:

Did Ibuki have a Yoda moment here? Either way this made me laugh pretty hard.

Here's a cool rear end fact: Yoda speaks, in english, with Japanese sentence structure. Like a too-literally translated Japanese speaker. When Star Wars is dubbed into other languages they either mix up the subject/object/verb order to sound interesting, or in Japan's case, just make him speak in an archaic dialog (which I assume means saying luke-dono a lot).
http://allthingslinguistic.tumblr.com/post/31689604490/what-is-yodas-syntax-in-other-languages

So whatever she originally said it probably wasn't a yoda reference because that would be like finding a needle in a needle stack and recognizing that THIS needle is Ironic.

TheWorstSwordsman
Apr 23, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

In DR1, everyone eventually formed pairs.

Not everyone. I'm pretty sure Hagakure was just with Hagakure, Although saying that his hair alone could count as another person.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

CrashScreen posted:

You forget that she's pretty much the medic here, and stated that she could treat most wounds and illnesses. I think that's what Calico Heart was getting at.

Yeah, what I was getting at was that by my understanding, her skill was basically defined as "Super Medic", and was wondering if there was a reason she was specifically designated a nurse if that were the case.

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza
I'm feeling like the islands are going to be themed after different nations, since there's a pretty prominent American theme running through here. What's nice is we have some pretty interesting options for murder locale. As someone mentioned, the detail put into the beach house (broken shower, no changing) suggests heavily that it's gonna be important to the case, whether or not the murder itself takes place there. I also appreciate how many different characters are getting fleshed out in one chapter so it's far less obvious who's going to be a killer or victim. I hate mysteries where a soon-to-be-dead character suddenly takes center stage and tells you their life story right before they die.

Or maybe there will be no murder this time. Could this be the chapter where everybody finally learns that friendship is the most important? :unsmith:

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Question for orenronen: could you post more of the maps of the exterior of the islands during the updates? Sort of like in this image, except without all the exclamation marks in the way.

Serious Frolicking posted:

In DR1, everyone eventually formed pairs. Koizumi and Saionji recently paired up, and now Nidai and Akane have as well. I'm very curious about how these bizarre characters will interact with each other, probably more so than I am about the mystery of the island.

We have also confirmed Souda and Sonia, though his attraction to her was blindingly obvious from his attitude around her. Determining the character interactions could be helpful in predicting the next victim, since in the last game, by the middle of Chapter 2 everyone had "paired up" except for Chihiro, Hagakure, and Kirigiri, and Chihiro turned out to be the victim there.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wyvernil posted:

We have also confirmed Souda and Sonia, though his attraction to her was blindingly obvious from his attitude around her.

I'd say it's more of a triangle between Souda, Sonia, and Gundam. Which probably won't end well for at least one of them.

Speaking of which, where is Gundam, anyway? He's the only one (aside from Komaeda) currently unaccounted for.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
It's a lot easier to figure out where the next murder will be when only one new area is in 3D.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TheWorstSwordsman posted:

Not everyone. I'm pretty sure Hagakure was just with Hagakure, Although saying that his hair alone could count as another person.

Hagakure's partner was his hair. I'm pretty sure his hair was larger than Naegi.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Armanky posted:

As someone mentioned, the detail put into the beach house (broken shower, no changing) suggests heavily that it's gonna be important to the case, whether or not the murder itself takes place there.

Since we've got some possible foreshadowing about a disguised serial killer, maybe someone will show up in disguise and it'll become a problem how they hell they changed clothes.

...actually, speaking of Kirakira-chan, the "-chan" suggests it's a smaller person. With the backstory we got about him this update, if it's any of our kids, Kuzuryuu seems like a good candidate. If he's distanced himself from his family because he "has a point to prove" and Kirakira only targets criminals, maybe he's been killing off yakuza people while in disguise to prove that point? And then got an embarrassing nickname out of it in Sonia's magazines.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

I think this is the first time I've ever found Monobear to be genuinely disturbing/creepy. :stare:

orenronen posted:

Re: Mr. Monobear's Lesson

W...Where is it?! Who's breaking the rules?! I'll blow them away right now, no questions asked!

I... shall endure. I have an iron will, so I can endure until someone breaks some rules!

And then this happened and all was well again. :allears:

I guess that Nanami calling us back to the ruins means we've pretty much explored everything there is to see here on this island?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

"Hey Souda!"

"What?"

"I found a trashcan. But I don't have any trash to put in it."

"....that's nice. :crossarms:"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So what happens if you explore the ruins last? Does Nanami call Hinata straight after she shooes him away and go, "Oh hey, nevermind, I'm calling everyone back."

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

quote:

Man, the NRA's new mascot is hosed up.

Meirlkor
Feb 18, 2013

Wyvernil posted:

Determining the character interactions could be helpful in predicting the next victim, since in the last game, by the middle of Chapter 2 everyone had "paired up" except for Chihiro, Hagakure, and Kirigiri, and Chihiro turned out to be the victim there.

I'm pretty sure Kirigiri counts as having paired up with Naegi.

orenronen posted:

W...Where is it?! Who's breaking the rules?! I'll blow them away right now, no questions asked!

Monobear continues being the best character around.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

orenronen posted:

Well, you aint stopping me! Well just change at the hotel, then come here! When life gives you lemons, you make Limoncello!
Lemonade. You make lemonade.

You make lemonade.

Is the 'lots and lots of shots' Mikan hitting on Hinata, or is it just her being over-enthusiastic? I can't tell.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Edit: Nevermind that'd be a spoiler!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kangra posted:

You make lemonade.

Is the 'lots and lots of shots' Mikan hitting on Hinata, or is it just her being over-enthusiastic? I can't tell.

I'm going to go with enthusiastic, I mean she's spent the entire first chapter being scared of everything and now she's pretty much back where she's comfortable.

TroubleHalved
May 10, 2013
do hit on people by asking to give them a shot?
also, are you a drug addict?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

TroubleHalved posted:

Mikan has already shown herself to be hosed up and awkward.

That may be her idea of flirting. Not to say I see it, but there's no reason for you to be sassy.
One of the slight weaknesses of this game is that it seems to follow the horror movie protection claus. The main characters cannot die outside of being killed by the monster. In this case, the monster is the other students, which means neither the monobeasts, nor mono bear with a machine gun will actually get to kill anyone :(

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

TroubleHalved posted:

I don't think Mikan knows the difference between "friendly" and "creepy".

Gensuki posted:

That may be her idea of flirting. Not to say I see it, but there's no reason for you to be sassy.
One of the slight weaknesses of this game is that it seems to follow the horror movie protection claus. The main characters cannot die outside of being killed by the monster. In this case, the monster is the other students, which means neither the monobeasts, nor mono bear with a machine gun will actually get to kill anyone :(

Hey now, Monobear totally got to kill one of the students in the last game. There's hope yet :unsmith:

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Mikan's favourite thing is toilets. Thinking people enjoy shots is the least hosed up thing about this crazy person.

I'm thinking that if kirakira is used (which it probably will be, since it was brought up for no reason) it will be a red herring, precisely because of the changing rule being brought up. They will find Kirakira stuff laying around in the room and then it will turn out it was staged to create a diversion in the investigation, and it eventually gets shot down in court because they couldn't have changed out of the kirakira stuff in that room. It must have been placed. Kinda like Chapter 2 of DR1, with the tampering of the crime scene to pinpoint the crime on Genocider Syo.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

I don't think Mikan knows the difference between "friendly" and "creepy".

Hey now, Monobear totally got to kill one of the students in the last game. There's hope yet :unsmith:

My bet is that Monobear will drive on the combined Monobeast in the final trial and Hinata has to do debate with him while climbing up the robot, Shadow of the Colossus-style.

And I have got a question:

quote:

They sure are a troubled bunch, that warrior race!

Is it just me, or doed "troubled" actually mean something other than "disturbed"?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Suzuki Method posted:

Mikan's favourite thing is toilets. Thinking people enjoy shots is the least hosed up thing about this crazy person.

I think someone said that was a japanese thing, where people who are bullied tend to hide in, and find comfort in bathrooms. They also brought up her uneven hair cut and persecution complex.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Calico Heart posted:

Please forgive me if this has been asked before, but if Mikan is SHSL, that means she's extraordinarily gifted in her field. Shouldn't that mean she's qualified as a Doctor, rather than a nurse?

Calico Heart posted:

Yeah, what I was getting at was that by my understanding, her skill was basically defined as "Super Medic", and was wondering if there was a reason she was specifically designated a nurse if that were the case.
I'd honestly trust a nurse more than a doctor when it came to medic skills. Doctors may have more education, but nurses have several hundred times more practical experience in the mundane direct patient contact stuff. (This still doesn't explain why she's a Nurse instead of a Medic, but I'm attributing that to "nurse" being a lot more marketable & anime-esque)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Suzuki Method posted:

Those two things are completely related. :colbert:

Torino
Mar 6, 2013

If I could find a way to put my own soul into a computer, that would surely create a true “strong AI”...
I personally interpreted her liking 'toilets' as liking the smell of cleaners/disinfectants/those things you stick in toilet bowls, but I could be wrong. It's possible that it'll come up in one of her free time segments because even the Japanese phrasing of simply 'toilet' sounds a bit strange to me too.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

TroubleHalved posted:

Uhm, flirting through the use of awkward stupid jokes is not completely unknown. The problem is that usually this is coming from maybe slightly awkward or nervous, but otherwise normal person so you can see it for the stupid joke that it is, but Mikan is not an otherwise normal person. She's super awkward and nervous and all SHSL tend to be slightly insane anyway, so I think it's understandable that someone might have a hard time figuring out if she was being serious or not.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Suzuki Method posted:

Nah, Mikan just understands. I wouldn't want to live in a world without toilets.

Gadvac
Feb 18, 2013

orenronen posted:

Hawa... Hawawawa!
W...What is it?
Doesn't Monomi make a similar noise when she's stressed? I can't find any specific examples, but I do distinctly remember her cry of distress being a lot like this. Besides that, Monomi's insistence on not suspecting anyone, drat the consequences, seems a lot like something Mikan would agree with. Then there's her less than convincing cries of pain... it doesn't make a lot of sense otherwise, but still, I think I'll keep a look out for more of this.

kvltmanifesto posted:

Nah, Mikan just understands. I wouldn't want to live in a world without toilets.
Jokes aside, liking toilets isn't all that bizarre. It's more just showing a preference of utility over appeal, or something like that. I'd say her "lots of shots" line was just her trying to reassure Hinata while keeping a light mood and messes up terribly due to how inept she is at social interaction. That said, she probably is at least somewhat mad in one way or another.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hajime neglected to ask the most important question: did Kuzuryuu make that burger himself, or was magical Monobear automatisation responsible?

It just bugs me for some reason.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Since we've got some possible foreshadowing about a disguised serial killer, maybe someone will show up in disguise and it'll become a problem how they hell they changed clothes.

...actually, speaking of Kirakira-chan, the "-chan" suggests it's a smaller person. With the backstory we got about him this update, if it's any of our kids, Kuzuryuu seems like a good candidate. If he's distanced himself from his family because he "has a point to prove" and Kirakira only targets criminals, maybe he's been killing off yakuza people while in disguise to prove that point? And then got an embarrassing nickname out of it in Sonia's magazines.

If he has something to prove, then why would he act while disguised? All that proves is that Kirakira did stuff. Kuzuryuu's issues are as plain as day now. He is a tiny, cute yakuza heir and while he can get respect via borrowed influence he believes no one really respects him on his own merits. It remains to be seen if he is a realistic yakuza (scumbag scumbag scumbag) or some flavor of anime yakuza (mostly harmless).

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
Oh man, seems like I'll have to vote for Kuzuryuu next time... again. Though that might be a bit redundant, since it might simply repeat some points he made in this update.

And speaking of his little sister, if she really is on the island, I'd expect her to actually be taller than him, just to make his babyface complex worse. Maybe it's Peko?..

Torino
Mar 6, 2013

If I could find a way to put my own soul into a computer, that would surely create a true “strong AI”...

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Hajime neglected to ask the most important question: did Kuzuryuu make that burger himself, or was magical Monobear automatisation responsible?

It just bugs me for some reason.

There was already food in the restaurant that Hanamaru didn't make, so it's not the first of the mysterious edibles. (In contrast to DR1, where they were only provided with ingredients rather than finished meals) It could have also been Monomi. I kind of hope this get answered, although the image of an army of Monobears or Monomis hard at work behind the scenes to make delicious food for the students is kind of adorable.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
It feels like there's only two ways they can really go with Mikan at this point:

1: Someone gets hurt and in the process of treating them Mikan accidentally/on purpose kills them. The idea that someone ends up punished for an accidental murder would fit the game's despair motif, which was teased with Aoi/Sakura last game, but it really undermines her whole SHSL talent if she's so clumsy/bad at her job that she kills her patients. Also, an accidental murder works best if it's the first death to drive home the "this is not a game" aspect to the characters. We also haven't seen a sinister side of her that would lead to a murder but it's early.

2: Someone gets hurt, Mikan treats them, and they end up dying. With Mikan framed for murder, Hinata has a race against time to find evidence to clear her and find the real killer before a slam-dunk trial ends up dooming everyone. This could be used to allow a more sinister character such as Kuzuryuu or Saionji to make their move, or a way to thin out the Gundam/Sonia/Souda triangle tumblr is shipping the gently caress out of as we speak. (I'm assuming that last statement no one go and verify please)

There's always a chance she just ends up a corpse herself or is so clumsy that in trying to tie her shoes in the morning she ends up hanging herself from the ceiling but that feels like a waste of characterization.

TheHawkeyedOne
May 1, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

Please forgive me if this has been asked before, but if Mikan is SHSL, that means she's extraordinarily gifted in her field. Shouldn't that mean she's qualified as a Doctor, rather than a nurse?

Better question: How can she BE a Super *HIGH SCHOOL* Level Nurse? Nurses need degrees. As in College. So... she really shouldn't be a Nurse if she's still in High School. Maybe Super High School Level First Aid, but not Nurse... Just my opinion.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

TheHawkeyedOne posted:

Better question: How can she BE a Super *HIGH SCHOOL* Level Nurse? Nurses need degrees. As in College. So... she really shouldn't be a Nurse if she's still in High School. Maybe Super High School Level First Aid, but not Nurse... Just my opinion.

If you wanna be real particular about it, her title is SHSL保健委員, lit. "health services club member". She's the pre-eminent nurse's office student volunteer in Japan, apparently.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

TheHawkeyedOne posted:

Clearly Mikan is actually Frank Abagnale in his most cunning disguise yet, using forged credentials to pose as a Japanese nurse while he rakes in the Super High-School Level Paychecks.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

TheHawkeyedOne posted:

This is something that I keep wondering: when I was in high school, I was totally a Super High School Level bass player, but even my dumb 14 year old rear end knew I didn't have poo poo on a pro. Some of the specialties like 'mechanic' make sense, they're technical and based on knowledge, but 'dancer' or 'cook' take years and years to get right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bean posted:

when I was in high school, I was totally a Super High School Level bass player, but even my dumb 14 year old rear end knew I didn't have poo poo on a pro.

But that's the thing. If you didn't have poo poo on a pro, you WEREN'T Super High School Level.

• Locked thread