Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

If the thing from the next book that Harry is supposed to steal is the Golden Fleece, Marcone would want it badly. I don't remember where I heard that. Someone may have mentioned it in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

computer parts posted:

If it's something to do with Greek religion and Harry's mantle, the best thing I can think of is Persephone.

I like this theory. It would tie into the seasonal theme well.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I don't understand how to use spoilers in this thread, because I wouldn't have thought that the pure speculation here would need them, but whatever.

The Riddle of Feel posted:

If the thing from the next book that Harry is supposed to steal is the Golden Fleece, Marcone would want it badly. I don't remember where I heard that. Someone may have mentioned it in this thread.

Why the hell would that person want that thing, let alone want it badly?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

AlphaDog posted:

I don't understand how to use spoilers in this thread, because I wouldn't have thought that the pure speculation here would need them, but whatever.

You don't, some people are just cautious to an absurd level.

quote:

Why the hell would that person want that thing, let alone want it badly?

Some versions of the story hold that the Golden Fleece has healing powers, same as the Shroud of Turin, which Marcone tried to steal for a very specific reason.

And even if it has no actual power, it's made of solid gold and is itself a symbol of power, two things that would interest Marcone.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I've never read a version of that myth where the Golden Fleece is anything other than a golden fleece. Not even "made of solid gold", let alone "with mystical powers", just "valuable object".

I actually always thought the fleece was a metaphor for a trade route with a far away country. Which Marcone would certainly want (especially if "a far away country" is in the nevernever), but he'd be unconcerned with the metaphor.

I wouldn't put it past Butcher to use a literal golden fleece or similar macguffin as a key to opening trade between Faerie and Chicago, but I really doubt that's how this book will play out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I think I've read versions of the Fleece myth where it resurrects the dead (specifically, the children who escape on the ram are sacrificed, the ram brings them back to life, then they escape, then they sacrifice the ram. Good kids) but I can't find that version online so yeah it must be fairly esoteric.

There are methods of panning for gold that involve letting a fleece hang in a river.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
The golden fleece of Greek mythology had the power to heal all it touched. Marcone would want it specifically for the purpose of righting the one wrong he regrets.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

pseudonordic posted:

The golden fleece of Greek mythology had the power to heal all it touched. Marcone would want it specifically for the purpose of righting the one wrong he regrets.

Which version of the myth is this in? The only references to the golden fleece doing healing that I can find are from Young Hercules, roleplaying games, weird pseudoscientific "healing" sites, and various Yahoo Answers type pages. There's no mention of the healing thing on the wikipedia page or in any of my books on mythology.

I'm not saying it's wrong, especially since it seems to be common knowledge, I've just never heard of it.

Edit: It'd be a cool ending to a book though. Get fleece, attempt healing, nothing happens. Lea shows up and is all "what the gently caress are you doing". Harry explains. Lea says "where did you get that idea, Young Hercules?"

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 2, 2013

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

AlphaDog posted:

Which version of the myth is this in? The only references to the golden fleece doing healing that I can find are from Young Hercules, roleplaying games, weird pseudoscientific "healing" sites, and various Yahoo Answers type pages. There's no mention of the healing thing on the wikipedia page or in any of my books on mythology.

I'm not saying it's wrong, especially since it seems to be common knowledge, I've just never heard of it.

Edit: It'd be a cool ending to a book though. Get fleece, attempt healing, nothing happens. Lea shows up and is all "what the gently caress are you doing". Harry explains. Lea says "where did you get that idea, Young Hercules?"

Rick Riordan books :colbert:

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

pseudonordic posted:

Rick Riordan books :colbert:

Those books are great.

Edit: Okay not great but really good for who they are aimed for.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

I heard it from the Ray Harryhausen Jason and the Argonauts movie.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Harry pulling an elaborate scheme based off intel from a pop-culture reference seems entirely fitting.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

I just finished the three Rivers of London books, and they were really good. On par with The Rook, which I'd put about on par with mid-series Dresden.

I'm going to re-read Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age, and then I want to try out another modern fantasy series.

Given that I've loved Dresden, The Rook, and Rivers of London, what else fits that general style and theme? I got through the first Laundry Files, and part of the second one (and will go back, it was just too much all at once), and I didn't really like Greywalker. Iron Druid sounds like it will not be my thing at all.

I read the first two Alex Verus books when needing a fix between Dresden Files, and found them relatively similar.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Harry pulling an elaborate scheme based off intel from a pop-culture reference seems entirely fitting.

Based off wrong intel. I like this idea except for that I would feel really bad for Marcone. :(

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

London Falling was excellent. I hope it turns into a series. It's lots darker than the Rivers Of London series, but doesn't look like it's going to be until about half way through. It's more "some coppers chase a supernatural villain who, to their surprise, turns out to actually be supernatural" than "protagonist is a wizard", and I really liked that a lot.

The "twist" bit, which I only kinda saw coming Quill is a dad, I thought it'd be Ross or Costain who had the kid was gut-wrenching, and the ending I definitely saw coming but it didn't make less cool to find out that there used to be supernatural law enforcement in London (DCI Lofthouse and the library at the end), but it's been "forgotten" or potentially "not remembered" which means a different thing here...

Reading Libriomancer next.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 5, 2013

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I've just finished reading Proven Guilty, and I'm not quite sure what to say about it beyond "I loved it". It's definitely my favorite book in the series so far, and I can only hope that White Night is just as good.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

sirtommygunn posted:

I've just finished reading Proven Guilty, and I'm not quite sure what to say about it beyond "I loved it". It's definitely my favorite book in the series so far, and I can only hope that White Night is just as good.

You can hope but sometimes hope is futile.
But it is still really good.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

http://torforge.wordpress.com/2013/05/06/genre-identity-crisis/

This is a nice comment on urban fantasy from the Author of London Falling. An interesting read, with his thoughts on what exactly defines the genre. Definitely worth the time to read in full, which is why I'm not copying choice bits into the thread.

In Dresden specific content: I'm curious if the books deal with the RPG's supposition about other courts of faery. (Ie Autumn/Spring) I know we talk about some of them in the books with the erlking, but I can't recall if there's mention of a mother/queen/lady structure or not. Anyone with a more recent readthrough remember?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Anias posted:

This is a nice comment on urban fantasy from the Author of London Falling. An interesting read, with his thoughts on what exactly defines the genre. Definitely worth the time to read in full, which is why I'm not copying choice bits into the thread.

Hahah, nice article. I'm glad that he and Aaronovitch have a positive relationship, that could've gotten really nasty.

Anias posted:

In Dresden specific content: I'm curious if the books deal with the RPG's supposition about other courts of faery. (Ie Autumn/Spring) I know we talk about some of them in the books with the erlking, but I can't recall if there's mention of a mother/queen/lady structure or not. Anyone with a more recent readthrough remember?

I think the Autmn/Spring courts in the RPG books are suppositional only -- things you could create for your campaign but that don't "exist" within the actual Dresdenverse as far as we know.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think the Autmn/Spring courts in the RPG books are suppositional only -- things you could create for your campaign but that don't "exist" within the actual Dresdenverse as far as we know.

That's the idea. With an RPG where all the players are already familiar with the universe it's nice to have a wrench or two to throw into the works, especially if they're meta-gaming.

The RPG also has another book coming out late summer and I would expect it to have a short story in it. As much insight as the last one gave into how Harry would work as a Knight I'll definitely check it out. Who knows it might even have a Winter Lady template.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

That's the idea. With an RPG where all the players are already familiar with the universe it's nice to have a wrench or two to throw into the works, especially if they're meta-gaming.

The RPG also has another book coming out late summer and I would expect it to have a short story in it. As much insight as the last one gave into how Harry would work as a Knight I'll definitely check it out. Who knows it might even have a Winter Lady template.

I think Evil Hat said that Paranet Papers is only going to have content up through Changes, with maybe a bit of Ghost Story. Most of their content was locked before Cold Days ever came out.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

So here's an interesting Butcher interview with some more stuff about Skin Game and his other projects.

He freely admits to being goony enough that both his local Burger King stores know him by name.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So I just picked up the boxset of the Newsflesh Trilogy on a whim on my way home.

Dammit thread, you are the worst enablers.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Illuyankas posted:

So here's an interesting Butcher interview with some more stuff about Skin Game and his other projects.

He freely admits to being goony enough that both his local Burger King stores know him by name.

This is a really good interview.

Also, I'm glad to know that Jim likes Dead Beat as much as I do:

quote:

J: Specific favourite book is going to be a toss-up between Dead Beat and Cursor‘s Fury. Cursor’s Fury was a lot of fun for me to write, and it was where the Alera books finally took off for me, in terms of “Oh! This is all happening easily in my imagination.”

Dead Beat: Zombie T-Rex. I’d been writing like five years to write the zombie t-rex scene, and when I finally got to it, it was like “Finally, yes! I’ve been putting this off for so long!”

Also, this is the first time I've really heard anything concrete about his Steampunk books. The first one is apparently going to be called The Cinder Spires. Here's the relevant section.

quote:

J: The Cinder Spires has gotten a better response from my readers than anything that I’ve done recently, just in terms of them thinking it’s something cool. These are my beta readers, from the beta asylum, which I call the asylum because you have to be a bit crazy to be there, because I’m just a bear for cliffhanging chapters, and sometimes they’ll have to wait a couple of weeks between them. So, there’s something wrong with those people, but there they are.

They think it’s pretty great, it’s kind of “Hornblower” meets “League of Extraordinary Gentlemen”, it’s very focused on the characters, with very strong influence from Firefly I think.

R: Awesome.

J: Yeah, if you’re going to steal from somewhere, you know, pick a good spot. But yeah, we start off with a disaffected ship captain who used to be part of the navy buy got drummed out of it for being an up-right honourable guy, who’s now running his own ship. We’ve got some other characters who are scattered around who are being drawn together by the lord of the spire.

Everyone lives in these enormous spires that spire for miles above the ground below; the surface is this deadly place you don’t want to go. The lord of Spire Albion, which is where the story begins, is assembling what is essentially a team for critical missions. That’s what this first story is, it’s him drawing this team together, and dispatching them as this war is beginning with a neighbouring spire of jerks.

So that’s kind of where we get going. One of the team members is the daughter of one of the young noble houses, and one of them is her cousin who is warriorborn. They don’t know quite how it happened but a certain percentage of the popular seems to be born with what seems like genetic modification to be faster and stronger and better and cooler. As well, there are cats in the Spires who talk and who are just the most arrogant, annoying little bullies.

R: Well, yes… They’re cats.

J: They’re cats, exactly, but these cats can talk, and they have opposable thumbs and matches. So, these are cats who are along the lines of: “I see that you enjoy having no rodents in your warehouse. Perhaps you would continue to enjoy having no rodents in your warehouse. Perhaps there will be a bowl of cream sitting out for me… or it might all catch on fire.” You never know what’s going to happen, but one of the characters actually has a close relationship with a cat and can speak cat. The cats speak their own language, they probably could speak the human language, but why would they? They’re cats. Why would they stoop to that? They understand humans, perfectly, except for when they don’t… and that can all happen within the same morning. They can choose who to ignore and who not to. The cats are horrible.

Then we’ve got these wizard figures. All the technology is based around these crystals that can channel various forms of energy, steampower and a kind of Frankensteinian electricity. They’re engineers who can do all kinds of cool stuff, but they’re also these figures called etherealists who work with the crystals. The etherealists are all completely nuts, I mean, over-the-top hair on fire nuts. Except for the ones that aren’t, and those are the ones you really have to worry about, because there’s something really wrong with them.

You know, the guy who’s sort of dribbling and walking in circles in the corner, who’s an etherealist? Okay, he’s probably not a threat. The one who’s inviting you to high tea? Forget it, you don’t even want to go near that one.

R: Here be danger.

J: Exactly; you know they’re crazy, the question is: how? And if you can see they’re crazy, they’re less dangerous.

Evil cat mafi, crazy wizards, and a Firefly inspired crew? This is gonna be goddamned awesome.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

404GoonNotFound posted:

So I just picked up the boxset of the Newsflesh Trilogy on a whim on my way home.

Dammit thread, you are the worst enablers.
I take full responsibility for this.

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...
I think my original theory about Lash returning from last fall is going to happen, especially since we're along the lines of that ancient greek theme for the next book. I mean Harry's descending into the underworld/Hades as it is, so while this may sound wierd at first bear with me, Lash is the parasite (duh) and is an allegory for Athena, thus she's going to be reborn by bursting from Harry's head while he's in the underworld.

It makes sense considering:
1) Demonreach told Harry that the parasite would burst from his head if left alone (in addition to the crippling migranes).
2) Lash always depicted herself in the grecco-roman toga, described as looking like a godess.
3) Lash was a source of knowledge/insight for Harry
4) In the Athena myth Zues had massive headaches (just like Harry) up until the point that Athena burst forth from Zues' forehead as the Goddess of Intellect.

Given that Harry will be in the underworld (a place of spirit, not flesh) it's plausible that the parasite bursting from his head would not in fact kill him.

I don't expect Butcher to take the allegory any farther than that but it is a cool spin on a classic myth.

It does make some measure of sense given the hints Butcher has dropped and the locale of the next book does allow for it without killing Harry in the process. (oh how Butcher likes to beat Harry viciously)

DrFrankenStrudel fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 11, 2013

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That's not a bad theory at all.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
I love this theory so much. It works perfectly for every hint given and fits really well with Butcher's overall style.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Given people were talking about how dying and coming back opens up new doors and such as well.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Ornamented Death posted:

I just finished Libriomancer based on all the gushing earlier in the thread, and it was pretty good. I'd probably put it on par with the first Iron Druid book; there are at least some major similarities both between the two books and with how both authors play off of Butcher's style but still bring something unique to the table. Hopefully Hines can keep his poo poo together and not go down the same road Hearne has taken.

Next up is London Falling.

Did you read the Jig the Goblin or Princess series? They are both really cool, but not urban fantasy. Smudge the spider actually comes from the Jig the Goblin series. Jim C Hines is also a really nice guy (I know, there are many authors out there that are really nice but suck at writing.) I don't think we have to worry about it going down the tubes. I do worry about some of the pop culture references a little, but I think that there's enough references to earlier works and fictional works (like, he made them up) that it should hold up over time.

Also, I think someone mentioned the Alex Verus series way back in the thread, but at the time, it wasn't available in the US. It now is.

I randomly discovered the Bloodhound Files while desperately trying to find urban fantasy that wasn't romance. It is really good in my opinion. And discounted on the Kindle, ridiculously cheap with prime at $2.80 in paperback.

Bored fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 16, 2013

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Just finished Libriomancer, it was pretty good. I didn't enjoy it as much as Rivers of London or London Falling, but it was still good.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Baen are calling it "urban fiction" so I suppose it fits in here - Just read the beginning of "Eight Million Gods" by Wen Spencer. It's out next month and it's abominable. It's entirely possible for a foreigner to write a book about a foreigner in Japan without being an old hand (like Barry Eisler with his John Rain books) but as far as I managed to make it in, it's full of detailed research about Japan which sadly is almost entirely wrong - as if it were written by the absolute worst sort of weeaboo (which perhaps explains why it is so highly rated on GoodReads?)

If this warns one person away I'll feel like it was a post worth making.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
One thing that Libriomancer surprised me on was the handling of Lena's character. When the first thing she wants to do on the initial road trip is jump Isaac's bones and be his new love slave, I was ready to pitch it with a hearty :rolleyes:, I mean it's Tor books here, but Isaac's principled abstaining (at least for the time) was enjoyably Dresden-esque. The issue got kinda soured again at the end with the "I LOVE YOU BOTH!" comedy love triangle ending, but I felt like the author at least propped up the premise with enough logical world building, even if he's on terribly shaky ground, it's a valiant effort haha.

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 16, 2013

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Loving Life Partner posted:

One thing that Libriomancer surprised me on was the handling of Lena's character. When the first thing she wants to do on the initial road trip is jump Isaac's bones and be his new love slave, I was ready to pitch it with a hearty :rolleyes:, I mean it's Tor books here, but Isaac's principled abstaining (at least for the time) was enjoyably Dresden-esque. The issue got kinda soured again at the end with the "I LOVE YOU BOTH!" comedy love triangle ending, but I felt like the author at least propped up the premise with enough logical world building, even if he's on terribly shaky ground, it's a valiant effort haha.

Agreed. This was absolutely the low point of the books.

The rest was fun and imaginative and really awesome.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Loving Life Partner posted:

He actually explains the Lena background in a short story compilation. I don't know if spoiler tags are necessary for this, but I'm gonna spoiler it anyway.

Sisters of the Hedge & Other Stories posted:

I don't know what it is about this character, but I keep coming back to her. Years ago I wrote a novel called Hamadryad, a modern-day fantasy about a dryad named Lena Greenwood. It was never published, and likely never will be, but the idea stayed with me. [i](I'm skipping a few sentences here.){/i]

She's a challenging character to work with. I love her strength. I love her unashamed sexuality. But she also allows me to examine the...let's call it the fetishization of a certain kind of Strong Female Character, the idea that strong women must 1)be sexy/sexualized and 2)kick lots of rear end.

There's nothing wrong with sexiness or with rear end-kicking. But there are other kinds of strength too. And sometimes it feels like female characters are only supposed to be strong within certain narrowly-defined limits.

There are certainly exceptions, and I'm hopeful that the genre is starting to push harder for more variety when it comes to strength.

I've been thinking about this stuff for a while now, and I have no doubt I'll continue to think about it for years to come...

I'm guessing he's read some of the novels in the gor genre, which I never would have heard of if not for SA, and was disturbed by them. He's kind of a giant feminist (obviously not the man-hating type). I think he really likes the challenge of trying to figure out how to give a character whose only characterization is that they become their lover's fantasy a choice in their life. It's a bit more clarified in the "Heart of Ash" short story, which I read after finishing Libriomancer. And it looks like he's going to be focusing even more on the character in the next book.

I kind of see the main character from Libriomancer as almost Hines' Mary Sue. It's a giant love note to books. And it allows him to analyze/sperg-out about various genres while still managing to entertain.

If you have any questions for him, he's very responsive to the public on facebook. And I'm sure he would love the chance to sperg-out some more about how gender and sexuality are presented in modern fiction.

:goonsay:

edit: Although I also sort of rolled my eyes when I got to that part. Then I read the Sister of the Hedge compilation and it made more sense, since the character had been rolling around in his head for a very long time.

Edit 2: Here's a blog post by the author of "Monster in my Closet" and "Pooka in My Pantry" venting her irritation that a lot of "fantasy romance" is mis-labeled "urban fantasy". Since I've gotten kind of frustrated looking for new urban fantasy because Amazon keeps trying to force me to read romance books with vampires and werewolves. R.L. Naquin, for the record, writes "urban fantasy". It's pretty light and, so far, uncomplex, so I don't know if you guys would love it, but the first book might be borrow-able through prime.

Also, there's a short story up for free download in the Monster Haven series. I didn't like that one quite as much as the full books, but it's free and the satyrs are pretty funny, for the most part.

Bored fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 17, 2013

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Just dropping by to say that I loved London Falling; it took me about a week to get into it, but once I got past the first few chapters I couldn't put it down. Also, it took me until halfway through the book to realize that the football club was actually playing soccer :downs:.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 16, 2013

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Hello all. I reread a few of the Dresden Files books recently and I'm in the market for more urban fantasy. I have taken ideas from this thread before on books to read: The Rook, the Rivers of London books (all of them) and The Iron Druid books (all of them). Are there any other suggestions for solid urban fantasy titles?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Just going to quote my recommendation.

SystemLogoff posted:

For those of you with the Dresden Itch, I've just finished four good Urban Fantasy novels.
The Black Sun's Daughter:
  • Unclean Spirits (Dec 2, 2008) (as M.L.N. Hanover)
  • Darker Angels (Sept 29, 2009) (as M.L.N. Hanover)
  • Vicious Grace (Nov 30, 2010) (as M.L.N. Hanover)
  • Killing Rites (Nov 29, 2011) (as M.L.N. Hanover)
  • Graveyard Child (April 30, 2013 (Forthcoming) ) (as M.L.N. Hanover)
It really is a nice series of books that don't devolve into the main character sleeping with a group of supernatural creatures.

The first Bloodhound book I read was not too bad as well.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ice Phisherman posted:

Hello all. I reread a few of the Dresden Files books recently and I'm in the market for more urban fantasy. I have taken ideas from this thread before on books to read: The Rook, the Rivers of London books (all of them) and The Iron Druid books (all of them). Are there any other suggestions for solid urban fantasy titles?

London Falling is excellent, but it's got more leanings towards horror than stuff like Rivers Of London, which is closer to the Dresden books.

Libriomancer is pretty good, not my favorite but a good story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Ice Phisherman posted:

Seanan McGuire October days and in cryptic series are both good but deal with different themes. Michelle sagara cast in shadow is a fantasy police procedural that might also appeal. London falling is horror but excellent.

• Locked thread